Other Metagames [Inheritance] Shoryureppa

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy

Introduction:

Hi, I'm SpartanMalice and I mostly frequent the OM forums here. So I was nearing my 1k and like most others felt I should make a thread for it. I wasn't sure whether to post in an OM, Pet Mods (where I'm a moderator) or alternatively, as suggested by a few users - make an RMT.

Coincidentally, it's also my birthday on the 30th, which is either today or tomorrow depending on my timezone (yes I'm totally ripping off Snaquaza - but hey it's my first RMT and it took me a while to type this all out).

(I'm a bit of a fighting game fanatic so I went with a Street Fighter theme for the RMT)

So a while back me and jacksoras were theorymonning about stuff in Inheritance. I don't recall the exact details but I suggested we build around a prominent threat in the meta and one that's not as common but has good potential.

Oh yeah, let me start by explaining about Inheritance first as it isn't a permanent ladder. Pokémon may use the ability and moves of another Pokemon, as long as they forfeit their own learnset and abilities. Such as Suicune inheriting Scald, Recover etc and Unaware from Quagsire. Now, Inheritance's quite an offense heavy meta but it has balanced out a bit after recent bans - the last time it was OmOTM it was, honestly, quite broken with the huge amount of threats. Still, it's a fairly popular meta - I mean it did win OmOTM twice.

As far as I remember, the way it started out was as this:

Turns out when the Inheritance ladder became active though, Donor clause made the Rhyperior set illegal (it inherited from Riolu, which is part of Lucario's evolutionary line - and Staraptor inherited from Lucario). So I made a change:

After some time on the ladder we both felt the team lacked an edge so jack suggested using Hoopa to combat stall, and so I ended up with the final iteration of this team:

The team:

Guile (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Gyro Ball

Inherited from Solrock, Doublade's job is fairly simple. It comes in on the common physical attackers of the meta, which are usually Terrakion, Snorlax, Lando-T, and Metagross insofar as I've seen. It's also able to deal with Sucker Punch Ttar using Will-O-Wisp as long as it isn't running Magic Bounce - which reminds me, Magic Bounce is its main weakness. I usually just try to play around it. Mega Gyarados is one physical attacker it can't take due to the sets it usually runs (Smash and Belly Drum) which generate a high damage output. On that note Snorlax and Pinsir sometimes run Crunch but as pointed out by Chopin Alkaninoff it can take hits from those two if EV'd correctly. Pinsir inheriting from Mega-Ray gets V-create but that's quite rare anyways.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 162-192 (50.3 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Pinsir Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 72-86 (22.3 - 26.7%) -- 20.8% chance to 4HKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 144-170 (44.7 - 52.7%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Snorlax Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 112-134 (34.7 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

(Doublade should be able to comfortably wall most instances of Mega Gross and Terrakion)

One thing to note is that while Magic Bounce Tyranitar is a problem, sucker punch is the hard hitting move and it's note at the risk of getting OHKO'd if it switches out on Pursuit:

+2 252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 98-116 (30.4 - 36%) -- 42.4% chance to 3HKO

At that point I'd switch to something safer, in this case likely Altaria and go for espeed, which outprioritizes Sucker Punch.

Ken (Staraptor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Staraptor's job is pretty simple. Pick out something weak that's not an espeeder - and kill it with the move of choice. 100 speed is seemingly average but it does have something on most espeeders - it's faster than a pinsir pre-mega, and it's faster than Altaria and Glalie (and ties with Glalie post-mega). Rocks from doublade sometimes help in KO'ing bulkier variants of these. Earthquake is for Metagross and Desoland Tran. CC is an alternative owing to Levitate being quite common in Inheritance. There's not much else to say about this really, it relies on damage output and the offensive pressure it brings. Inheritance is very fast paced so I don't think something as frail as Staraptor can viably set up, at least not with the right support and this team is meant to mostly be all out attacking.

Another reason as to why I'm not running a setup set is because of Unaware, also very common in this meta. Cresselia and Suicune in particular. Well, they won't want to take on this:

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Staraptor Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 178-210 (44 - 51.9%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Staraptor Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 226-268 (55.9 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Staraptor Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 220-260 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Espeed is iffy but you probably wouldn't want to waste PP vs these mons anyway, it's just to show that they don't take it well on a switch in. Should be noted that Suicune can scald Staraptor if it chooses to stay in (which it probably shouldn't). Neither of these are likely to stay in if the move they were switching in on was Return. This forms a solid core with Hoopa imo, between these two mons Unawares - or at least the two most common ones - aren't getting off easy.

Poison (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- Techno Blast
- Flamethrower

The first thing you'll notice about this set is the odd move out - Explosion. Why am I running this? Well to be fair, The thing walling Alaria's status is usually Heatran - who either opts for Levitate from a varying pool of mons or Desolate Land. Now the important thing to note is that unlike in standard, Heatran isn't safe from fire moves - something it's neutral to. This leads to its own sun causing this:

252 SpA Mega Altaria Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Harsh Sunshine: 125-148 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Mega Altaria Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Harsh Sunshine: 187-220 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (if Altaria downloads Special Attack).

Mega Altaria in standard runs either one of Earthquake or Fire Blast usually - sometimes both. Admittedly inheriting from something other than genesect can probably net me earthquake as well as fire blast, but with the way I EV'd Altaria, download is helpful sometimes. Also Explosion does a lot of damage even to resists (so as to not clutter this thread with more calcs, it does around 60-70% to Mega Metagross) so it's a great last ditch option. Mono-fairy is pretty decent coverage and given that Download's purpose is to act as a specs/band depending on what it gets it suits this Mega Altaria imo.

Bison (Empoleon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Empoleon is a straight out nuke, provided you can keep it alive and that's where the pressurizing role of this team comes in. It should be played very carefully so as to not reduce Water Spout's power but Origin Pulse is still a safe option regardless. Speaking of playing carefully, one should pay attention during team preview if the opponent has a Heatran - play it right and this shits on Desoland tran, otherwise you're gonna have to sack something and Empoleon's the only legit Eruption resist (Altaria takes quite a bit of damage whereas Empoleon causes it to fizzle out - which is the safer option). This is another reason why Empoleon's here. It serves as a hard hitter and a counter to Desoland in one. Heatran usually brings Earth Power so as said earlier, prediction is key. It almost definitely will go for Earth Power if heavy rain's the active weather so this is where Empoleon syncs well with Staraptor (and sometimes Altaria, but Staraptor can hit Heatran back better - this is also why raptor carries EQ/CC).

Some calcs are definitely needed to show potent this beast is:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune in Heavy Rain: 239-282 (59.1 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 314-370 (77.7 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Heavy Rain: 176-207 (50 - 58.8%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Cresselia in Heavy Rain: 357-420 (80.4 - 94.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cresselia in Heavy Rain: 433-510 (97.5 - 114.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Heavy Rain: 276-325 (42.9 - 50.6%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 144 HP / 176+ SpD Snorlax in Heavy Rain: 387-456 (77.8 - 91.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Empoleon Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Heavy Rain: 127-150 (33.3 - 39.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

^ As these stats show RegenVest Goodra is probably the best answer to it. Most other things are at least 2hko'd

Alex (Mamoswine) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

I usually lead with this - fairly standard mon tbh. IMO I can justify Explosion on this set due to the fact that Mega Glalie has a rather dry movepool and like Altaria, Mamo has such strong stab coverage it usually doesn't require more than that. Scarf might be a little off-putting but it's done me quite a few favours (tanks and kills off most Protean leads, such as Azelf and Landorus-T). Being an unboosted mon though it doesn't do much vs something like say, Suicune at which point you should be switching out anyway. In this Mamo takes out most offensive leads but doesn't have the best time vs stall - that's okay since that's what this is meant to do anyway. Given how Spouters are often used as leads it does a good job vs all three of them - Greninja doesn't get OHKO'd by Earthquake but its Water Spout is weakened just about enough - watch out for OPulse from an experienced opponent though. Empoleon and Rotom are dispatched however. All in all, a pretty solid mon, though it may seem odd to use a scarf as a lead rather than a revenge killer - but hey, it's inheritance. Espeed's around everywhere anyway.

Gouki (Hoopa) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

This right here is what beats out stall. Well, most of it anyway. Suicune is 2HKO'd, Cress is flat out OHKO'd (it even 2HKOs Tyranitar after +2, assuming you set up on Sucker Punch), AV goodra doesn't want to take Psyshock - boosted or not. Chansey dies. Mega Gyarados kinda scares it though, since it can pressurize it and set up on it. Which is why it forms a decent Adaptability core with Staraptor, who gets a guaranteed kill if dos either sets up Shell Smash or Belly Drum. If not, well, Staraptor has the faster espeed anyway. Hoopa's special defense also comes in handy sometimes, hence the bulky setup. I don't exactly remember any particular reasons for hitting 210 speed but its bulk helps out a lot on the ladder so it's a fair compromise between bulk and speed imo - it has the potential to survive Scarf variants of Water Spout and Eruption in their respective weathers (specs is just too much power - although it has a very slight chance to survive Specs Origin Pulse from Empoleon/Rotom-W - that said, it should be able to outspeed Empoleon anyway).

Hoopa enjoys the support from other mons in the team, being the only setup sweeper. That said setting up isn't always necessary - it's pretty strong even without Nasty Plot, but you can never have too much power.

Things to Watch Out For:

Magic Bounce -
This ability really shits on most of my "support mons" but it's not so much the ability as the mons using it. As I outlined in the descriptions Tyranitar is a prominent user and is one that gives me trouble quite a bit.
Mega Gyarados - One of the mons that is quite ridiculous in Inheritance and in my opinion, should be prepared for regardless of your team. Mega Gyarados usually runs Shell Smash or Belly Drum (+Aqua Jet), so it goes without saying it has the potential to sweep my team if possible.
Gengar - Quoting Chopin Alkaninoff, "Gengar is one. It's immune to normal espeed and resists altaria's espeed. It's also faster than most of your team. In other words, I'd say your team is really weak to gengar" - that being said, a weakened Gengar cannot really take Extremespeed well imo, but should be able to survive sometimes.
Desolate Land - Desolate Land Heatran is a problem when Empoleon's down, and honestly - even when Empoleon's active because of how it forces me to switch in Emp (and if it has earth power, rip). Chopin mentioned that Deso Chandelure, while rare, causes problems - never faced it though so I can't judge.

Mega Pinsir - Minor issue, but Mega Pinsir is a common sweeper and while usually walled, some of them run V-create which turns out to be a problem for the main wall, Doublade. Due to this, I switched to a physically defensive Doublade.

That's all I can see so far. If you can find anything else, feel free to mention it in the comments :)

So that's it for the RMT portion of this thread. Now moving on to Shoutouts:

Shoutouts:

In no particular order, I'll be listing users I've known throughout a multitude of PS servers/rooms and here on Smogon:

Joim's Lab / Tervari : Snaquaza , Eevee General , The Immortal , Meloettaaa , Namine , Present , BDH93 , its PZ , Adrian Marin , Pikachuun , Mr Omgness, PokemonMasterDebater and of course Joim

This is the server where I first started out, to me it was the OM room before the OM room existed (the main server only had the lobby back then). Tervari was a seperate server I used to go on that served a similar purpose but was more of a casual conversation area, a place to chill.

Kalos: Monte Cristo , Leafshield , The Reptile , Arhops , asterat, simsims2800

This was a small server started by my friend Monte Cristo back when he went with the handle OiAwesomeDG. Since I didn't start going on the main server until the Other Metas room was created, this was another server I used to go to. Most of the users are as such OM room users too.

OM Forums / Pet Mods: rhydreigon , Blumenwitz , Stitch98 , Bigrob8917 , Akumeoy , Ghoul King , jacksoras , urkerab , runbabyrun , AWailOfATail , Tetraplex, Akiii

I kind of split the Other Metagames forum and the Other Metas room on ps due to interacting with certain users more in one particular area or the other. The Pet Mods forum is admittedly, not the flashiest forum but some of these users I talk with quite a bit. I kinda lumped the regular OM forums and Pet Mods together to make this short.

OM Room: unfixable , Chopin Alkaninoff , Cobalion. , E4 Flint , imas234 , manu 11 , Piccolo Daimao , Kl4ng , AllJokesAside , Uselesscrab , Zangooser , Gunner Rohan , Hack_Guy , Dream Eater Gengar , Lcass4919 , InfernapeTropius11 , Kingslayer2779 , Deathly ♛The King (a.k.a joffrey the scrub), Joshz , Jimms , jeran , dusk raimon , Brawl MK , ellipse , Ranger Mike , ScorrchingTheaph , TheBurgerKing99 , tys, AnybodyAgrees , Illusio ,
Zeronix , HunterStorm , FishInABox , eviolite goomy, GummyPotato , xfix , Ransei , Rumplestiltskin

My most active, if not my only active room on PS. To me the OM room is the friendliest community on PS and Smogon, and I love playing new, creative metas so naturally I frequent this place. Along with the users I mentioned in the Joim's Lab, some of these people are probably the closest friends I have on this site. :)

Skype Chat/Misc: AceKnightSuzaku , Betathunder , cellgoondude , Death On Wings a.k.a Articuno I , MadMayMason , GonxKillua , Goalie , Rhythms , baconbagon , xJownage , Ruby.

Some of these users I know through different servers (aqua) or rooms so I decided to list them all in one place so as to not clutter the thread.

Note: Some of these users I'd remembered from earlier during my ps/smogon days so may not remember me. Felt I should tag anyway. Cheers!

Importable:

Code:
[/CENTER]
Guile (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Gyro Ball

Ken (Staraptor) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Return
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Poison (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Explosion
- Techno Blast
- Flamethrower

Bison (Empoleon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Alex (Mamoswine) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Explosion

Gouki (Hoopa) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Nasty Plot
- Recover

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)