CAP Teambuilding Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAP Teambuilding Competition
approved by HeaLnDeaL, OP adapted from similar threads

Hello friends, and welcome to the first edition of the CAP Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced CAP players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a fun way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills or simply learn how others do it. Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible. Do note that you aren't required to submit a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, feel free to post about it!

For those of you unfamiliar with this type of competition, I'll give a brief explanation. Every round I will post a Pokemon or core of Pokemon. It is your job to build a successful team around these Pokemon. Once you have done so, send me a PM with your team in the format shown below. You have roughly five days to do so. Once these five days are up, submissions will be closed, and I will post the teams and start the voting period. The voting period, which will last for about two days, will be when everyone casts a vote for their favorite team. At the end of this period, the winner will be announced, their team will be added to the Hall of Fame, and the process will repeat itself. Below are the rules and anything else you may need to know.

Rules and Information
  • All team submissions must contain the given core for the current week, must be a full team of six Pokemon, and must be legal in the CAP format. Team submissions that do not follow these guidelines will be disqualified.
  • Team submissions must be done via PM, so don't post your teams in this thread! This rule is in place to ensure anonymity during the voting phase, which should help to prevent bias or bandwagoning. To submit a team, send me (sparktrain) a PM entitled CAP Teambuilding Competition Week X. The explanation of the team should be about a paragraph in length. You are allowed to include replays of your team in action, but make sure you are on an unrecognizable alt to help ensure anonymity when it comes time for voting. The team should be submitted in the format shown below: six sprites, your explanation in a hide tag, and the importable in a hide tag (credit for the team goes to Tokyo Tom)

This is a team I made originally for the Mawilite Suspect Ladder, revolving around Mienshao to scout items and beat common leads at the time (such as SashMamo, Breloom, SashChomp, or SR setters like Landorus-T and Ferro etc.), and Charizard-X which is probably the most broken Mega left in XY OU. HP Ice Mienshao and EQ Latios pushed significant damage on DD Zard-X's premier counters, Landorus-T and Heatran, opening the way for Zard-X to potentially sweep lategame. Additionally, the core of Mienshao / SpexKou / ScarfLando-T offered a fast VoltTurn chain that could easily break down the opponents checks with very little prediction and Stealth Rock support from one of the sturdiest SR setters in the game, Ferrothorn. The concept began as a fun team but the team did see some success as Ben Gay used it to peak #1 on the Mawilite Suspect Ladder, and was one of the teams he used to peak #1 more recently on the actual OU ladder, during the first cycle of the Smogon Ladder Tournament. Overall, a neat little offensive team focused on luring threats and keeping momentum to wear down the opponent, opening them up for almost any of the Pokemon to clean up lategame.

Dark Fantasy (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 88 HP / 216 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage

Devil in a New Dress (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 32 HP / 232 Atk / 244 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Hidden Power ice

All of the Lights (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Psyshock

Lost in the World (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 8 Def / 252 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

Hell of a Life (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed

Power (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 248 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

• Finally, an important part of this project is to have discussion about the teams and the core at hand, so discussion is highly encouraged! Feel free to question why people are running certain things or suggest changes that will make a team better. Just don't be rude or insulting about it.

Hall of Fame

Round 1: Scizor + Volkraken

Built by cbrevan
Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Power Gem
- Hydro Pump

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch / Pursuit

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Mollux @ Black Sludge / Shed Shell
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Lava Plume
- Sludge Bomb / Acid Spray

Round 2: Aurumoth

Built by cbrevan
Diancie @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Aurumoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat
- Quiver Dance

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 48 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Scald

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Round 3: Cawmodore + Flying-type

built by snake_rattler
Cawmodore @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch

Tomohawk @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Roost

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rapid Spin

Cyclohm @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Fire Blast
- Slack Off
- Heal Bell

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Round 4: Necturna

built by HeaLnDeaL
Necturna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- King's Shield
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Power Whip

Aurumoth @ Leftovers
EVs: 92 HP / 232 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Overheat
- Bug Buzz
- Psyshock

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Metal Burst
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Mollux @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

Fidgit @ Black Sludge
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Tailwind
- U-turn
- Encore

Round 5: Naviathan

built by HeaLnDeaL
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Surf
- Power Gem
- Memento

Aurumoth @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Overheat
- Zen Headbutt
- Megahorn

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 180 Def
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Naviathan @ Lum Berry
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head
- Waterfall
- Thunder Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Round 6: Krilowatt + Talonflame

built by NumberCruncher
Stratagem @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Paleo Wave
- Earth Power
- Energy Ball
- Stealth Rock

Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Altaria @ Altarianite
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mollux @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick

Round 7: Crucibelle

built by sparktrain
Crucibelle @ Crucibellite
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Wood Hammer

Tomohawk @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Earth Power
- Nature Power
- Healing Wish

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace

Round 8: Revenankh

built by SlaySlenderDragon XD
Isis (Revenankh) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch

Nova Bullet (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Ecoterrial (Zygarde) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aura Break
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Shelly (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Armorbark (Pyroak) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Lava Plume
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock

Proto (Krilowatt) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Last edited:
The core for Round 1 is Scizor + Volkraken

Scizor and Volkraken share some pretty cool offensive and defensive synergy. Volkraken's powerful STAB Water-type attacks and quadruple resistance to Fire-type attacks allows it to cover Scizor's biggest weakness with ease, while Scizor can check and potentially set up on plenty of Pokemon that threaten Volkraken, or even provide Defog support to help mitigate Volkraken's Stealth Rock weakness. In addition, both can learn U-turn, giving them the option to pivot out of their checks and maintain pressure on the opposing team.

The deadline for submitting teams is this Friday, December 4th at 8:00 pm (EST). Remember, PM me your teams, don't post here!

The teambuilding stage for Round 1 is now complete! There were two teams submitted this round. Voting is now open and will close Sunday evening, about 48 hours from now.

Team 1

I started of with Volkraken since it was part of the core and the easier of the two to pick the set for. Specs was tempting but I've always found the speed boost of Scarf more useful than the extra power; the ability to revenge kill Cawmodore, Aurumoth, and other fast threats seemed more important to me as Scizor is fairly easy to setup on if its lacking a boost.

After some thinking I decided to pair Scizor up with a powerful offensive Steel-type to create a Steel-type spam core. I initially wanted to use Cawmodore + Offensive Mega Scizor but I realized too many things can go wrong with that core if neither Pokemon has a chance to setup. Instead I went with Metagross-Mega and made Scizor LO SD to help wear down its defensive checks.

My team was pretty weak to Talonflame and had no reliable ways to deal with Water- and Fire-types, since Scarf Volkraken just gets worn down too easily and can't touch Water-types at all. I also needed a Ground-type immunity to help my Colossoil matchup. Rotom-Wash seemed to fit all three criteria, and provided some much needed bulk for my team.

I knew for the last two slots I needed A) a way to both set up and remove hazards; B) an additional check to Colossoil, Charizard-Mega-X, and an additional check to Talonflame; C) an Electric-type check. After thinking about Pursuit Colossoil and Stealth Rock + Haze Tomohawk, I decided they were both too passive and couldn't do what I wanted. Upon further thinking I realized Hippowdon would be able to take over Colossoil's role as an Electric-type check easily, as well as provide some bulk to my team and a way to set up Stealth Rock. From there I knew I wanted Specially Defensive Mollux as my sixth Pokemon to provide Rapid Spin support and an additional check to Water-types and Mollux.

This team is built around a pretty fun core I like to use, LO SD Scizor + an offensive Steel-type, which in this case is Metagross-Mega. The ideal of this core is for Scizor to lure in and weaken Metagross-Mega's defensive checks or blow past them outright. After a SD, Scizor can put Pyroak and Cyclohm into KO range for Metagross-Mega, as well as clean up teams late game. Aerial Ace is a personal favorite that allows Scizor to beat Haze Tomohawk and Pyroak reliably. Rotom-Wash, Hippowdon, and Mollux provide a solid defensive core that allows you to pivot around threats and play a little more recklessly with Metagross-Mega. The core also has the added benefit of having a favorable matchup versus Rain teams. Volkraken is the team's main Cawmodore check and cleans up well late game. I opted out of U-turn or Memento as I felt a secondary Water-type move would be more helpful in the majority of games.

If you want to be able to threaten stall more Acid Spray + Shed Shell is an option on Mollux over Sludge Bomb and Pursuit can be used over Bullet Punch on Metagross-Mega.
Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Scald
- Power Gem
- Hydro Pump

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch / Pursuit

Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Mollux @ Black Sludge / Shed Shell
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Lava Plume
- Sludge Bomb / Acid Spray

Team 2

This team is pretty simple. To make it, I looked at a lot of usage stats and tried to maximize the number of Pokemon, especially those at the top of the list, that I could check or counter well. I chose Diance-Mega for its general ability to destroy threats in CAP, including the omnipresent Tomohawk and Colossoil, as well as the common Mollux, Talonflame, and Sableye Mega. Also, Scizor does a nice job of stopping Pokemon that outspeed Diancie or are too bulky for it to defeat. Syclant and Stratagem are both taken down by Technician STAB-boosted Bullet Punch, while Sylveon, Gardevoir, and even Clefable lose a considerable portion of their HP. Scizor's slow U-Turn allows it to pivot to other members of the team that can defeat whatever the opponent has out. This is especially helpful when it is likely the opponent will switch. Scizor's Defog is vital for Talonflame's ability to be useful against any team with Stealth Rock, especially if its use is not prevented by Diancie. This also assists Volkraken, obviously. Volkraken is great for removing Steel types that stop Scizor and Diancie thanks to its Choice Scarf and Fire Blast. U-Turn is useful when the opponent walls Volkraken or a switch to a Pokemon that will wall it seems evident. Memento provides setup opportunities for Necturna and Talonflame, potentially allowing them to sweep the opponent. Talonflame and Necturna benefit from Diancie's ability to remove common physical walls like Tomohawk and Cyclohm. Talonflame has powerful priority for cleaning up remaining foes that might be fast enough to defeat other members of the team. In addition, it outspeeds Cawmodore, meaning it can prevent the dreaded Caw sweep with Flare Blitz. Necturna is extremely helpful for removing the bulky Waters that plague most of the team thanks to its ability to double its Attack and Speed and then heal itself with Horn Leech. Its Shadow Sneak is also generally good for the team since priority has a tendency to be helpful. Conkeldurr exists to punish the opponent for using status moves (especially Scald). It can remove Pokemon with its high Attack and general bulkiness, especially Chansey and Colossoil. Basically, Diancie removes physical walls and is just good at beating stuff. Scizor is a good pivot, hazard remover, and priority user. Volkraken is a fast special attacker that gets past annoying Steel types and can provide opportunities for its teammates to setup. Necturna, Talonflame, and Conkeldurr help the team cover a wider range of threats and give it plenty of physical offense, especially with Conkeldurr benefiting from burns and Talonflame being immune to them.
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Memento

Diancie @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Necturna @ White Herb
Ability: Forewarn
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Shadow Sneak

Talonflame
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Team 2 is Rotom weak ;
It seems like Team 2 does ok against Rotom-W on a good day.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 133-157 (43.8 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws burned Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 66-78 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 114-135 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO after burn damage

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 149-177 (49.1 - 58.4%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 298-351 (98.3 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician burned Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 74-88 (24.4 - 29%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician burned Scizor Bug Bite vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 148-175 (48.8 - 57.7%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0+ SpA Life Orb Mollux Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 165-195 (54.4 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Mollux: 63-75 (15.9 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 102-120 (33.6 - 39.6%) -- 22% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 87-103 (24.7 - 29.3%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO after burn damage

252+ Atk Necturna Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 182-216 (60 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 360-426 (118.8 - 140.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk burned Necturna Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 91-108 (30 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk burned Necturna Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 180-213 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Necturna: 53-63 (19.7 - 23.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after burn damage

252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 171-202 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 254-300 (105.3 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It looks like Team 1 has one hard counter and two checks, while Team 2 has one potential counter, one check, and one potential check (which does make Team 1 better in this sense).

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Team 1
I just want to strongly stress that I think both teams are pretty darn evenly matched. I definitely don't think Team 1 is vastly superior to Team 2... In the end, Team 1 won my vote by a thread.

Alright, when judging the teams, I looked at a number of criteria, particularly how well they dealt with hazards and their ability to defeat top metagame threats.

Team 2 lacks hazards, but has better hazard prevention and removal than team 1 (and being able to bounce back some hazards is better than absolutely nothing, I guess... still not as reliable as I'd like, however). For team 1, I just don't particularly like that Mollux is the spinner, since it's weak to SR. Overall, I'd give team 1 a point for hazards, and team 2 a point for hazard control.

For me, one of the bigger problems with Team 1 is how many opportunities it gives Cawmodore to set up. Volkraken is obviously a great, super solid and reliable check, but it's the only mon on the team that falls into that category. If the opponent gets rocks up, then Rotom-W cannot stop Caw, and even if Rocks aren't up there's still a chance that the Rotom will fall.

+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 267-315 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 267-315 (87.8 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Hippo is flat out set up bait for Caw, whereas Caw won't particularly mind setting up against Metagross or Scizor either. Once Caw sets up, Kraken is the only line of defense... Normally I'd say that is fine, but when half the team lets Caw set up, it becomes slightly problematic and gives the opponent an easy win con; defeat Kraken, and get into a sweeping situation.

Comparatively, Team 2 deals better with Caw. A lot better. Scizor can U-turn out while Caw drum (either to Talon or Kraken), Conk's Drain Punch + Mach Punch will almost always do more than 75%, Talon obviously has Blitz, Kraken says hi, and if Necturna sets up at the same time as Caw, the next turn Nect will live the +6 Bullet Punch and do a minimum of 74.7% back to Caw (aka, Caw's gone).

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cawmodore: 181-213 (74.7 - 88%)

Really, the one mon Caw could really set up on is Diancie (or Scizor, who just u-turns to a check for free so it doesn't really count that much).

Overall, I have to give team 2 a point for dealing with Caw better.

Both teams rely on their Megas to deal with Tomohawk, whereas team 1 can also utilize Rotom and team 2 can also use Talonflame. They also seem tied in terms of Colo...

Cyclohm is a little trickier. Team 2 obviously wants to take out Clohm with Diancie, but switching into a Discharge is quite risky, and Scizor can't provide useful u-turn shenanigans to get Diancie in for free because of the threat of Flamethrower/Fire Blast. This leaves then AV Conk. However, even a Guts boosted Ice Punch often fails to do the trick.

252+ Atk Guts Conkeldurr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 182-216 (43.4 - 51.5%) -- 62.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Team 1 fairs much better against Cyclohm, as all of Rotom, Hippo, and to a decent extent Mollux can switch in easily and slowly wear it down. Point goes to team 1.

Overall... both teams don't deal with rain that well, but even here there's a distinction. Rotom-W on Team 1 is the only thing that prevents the Kingdra-Swampert duo from wrecking completely, but it does a pretty decent job at that. Comparatively, team 2 relies on Necturna setting up prior to facing one of the rain abusers. However, it does have the ability to survive Mega Swamp's Ice Punch.

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Necturna: 200-236 (74.3 - 87.7%)

Of course, if it's taken any prior damage, then it's usefulness in expunged. After SR damage, however, it has to be wary of SpecsDra's Draco Meteor:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Necturna: 240-283 (89.2 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

As a result, I'll narrowly give team 1 a point for being able to deal with rain teams better... giving team 1 barely an edge overall.

The winner for Round 1 is Team 1, which was built by cbrevan. The team has been added to the Hall of Fame. Congrats!

For Round 2, there will be a single mon to build around: Aurumoth

Aurumoth is a highly versatile and threatening Pokemon in the metagame. With multiple powerful abilities, a vast array of strong coverage options, numerous boosting moves, and good mixed attacking stats to take advantage of this, it can viably pull off a multitude of different movesets. Looking forward to seeing some creativity here. Have at it!

PM me your teams by Friday, December 11th at 8:00 pm (EST).

The teambuilding stage for Round 2 is now complete! There were four teams submitted this round. Voting is now open and will end about 48 hours from now.

Team 1

The gist of the team basically is for Aurumoth and Victini to use Final Gambit to set the stage for Manaphy and Cawmodore to set up and sweep. Straraptor serves as a trick. People expect Staraptor to use final gambit as well, but that is not the case as, equipped with a choice band, has dangerous potential to KO defensive mons such as Pyroak and Tomohawk, and 2KO Cyclohm which give Cawmodore and Manaphy Trouble. Colossoil is able to rebound away Hazards, and serves as the best way to defeat Krilowatt, which troubles both Caw and Manaphy. This team obviously does not need to set up hazards as it's main goal it to set the field for Caw and Manaphy to sweep. I added Overheat onto Aurumoth as a way to beat Ferrothorn if Victini can't do it, and preserve Aurumoth's final gambit to help kill another pokemon.
Aurumoth @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SpA / 196 Spe
Naive Nature
- Final Gambit
- Blizzard
- Overheat
- Megahorn

Cawmodore @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rebound
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rapid Spin

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- V-create
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Team 2

This team is built around All-out-attacker Aurumoth. I wanted to utilize its huge movepool and its ability Illusion, so I added Colossoil to the team so Aurumoth could disguise itself to be a Colossoil to lure in Tomohawk and kill it with a Life Orb Psychic. I was definitely looking very weak to dragons, so I wanted a powerful Fairy-killer that again, can benefit from Aurumoth's presence, so I chose Gardevoir. Mega Gardevoir's 2 main counters without HP fire are Scizor and Chansey; Scizor gets OHKOed by Aurumoth's Overheat and Megahorn has a decent chance to 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rocks. I needed a reliable water resist that can put a dent into Balanced teams and Choice Band Azumarill was definitely the way to go. Landorus-T was added by me so I can have a nice pivot with Stealth Rocks and could switch into Talonflame. Finally, Diancie and Krilowatt were looking like huge problems, and I knew that Ferrothorn could take them both on, so I chose Ferrothorn as my last teammate. This team is weak to a couple of threats such as Diancie with HP Fire, Gardevoir, Charizard Y, and Cawmodore.
Aurumoth @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Megahorn
- Psychic
- Overheat
- Ice Beam

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rebound
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- U-turn

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Bulldoze

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Team 3

I knew from the get go that I wanted to build the team around what I believe is the most effective Aurumoth set, LO Quiver Dance.

Diancie seemed like a good mega to pair with Aurumoth as it could help weaken the opposing team and served as a solid check to Talonflame and Tornadus-T, both of which threatened Aurumoth badly. They also have great type synergy.

I was initially going to use Colossoil as my Jirachi check, but I decided that it would be better to use a Pokemon that isn't as well prepared for. Bisharp + Diancie makes a pretty solid core as most players depend of their Jirachi, may it be Scarfed or Spdef, to handle Diancie, and Bisharp just slaughters both.

I then added a Hippowdon and Skarmory core to blanket check Colossoil, Talonflame, Cawmodore, Charizhard-X, and a bunch of other threating mons while retaining control of hazards.

Lastly I added Thundurus to help combat my large Water-type weakness and to act as an emergency stop to Mega Charizard X and Aurumoth.
]

After testing the team out I realized that Hippowdon and Skarmory presented too large a momentum sink for my team, and they couldn't handle Water-types at all. I decided to make the team more offensive and switched Hippowdown for the TankChomp, giving me a reliable Talonflame and Scizor check that could set up Stealth Rock.

Next the team needed a Water-type check, a Mega Diancie check, and a spinner. Bulky Starmie fit all three criteria, end even though it was pressured by Colossoil, the entire team puts enough pressure on it so that its not too big of a deal. Its also a great Keldeo check which is something this team desperately needed.

After the changes I realized I needed something that could check Cawmodore and Fairy-types. Talonflame does it well and provides me with an additional wincondition, EVs are set up so it can Swords Dance on Colossoil safely and still outspeed Cawmodore.

This team is built with three win conditions, Mega Diancie, Aurumoth, and Talonflame, all off which have the ability to sweep late game after everything is weakened. Keeping control of the hazard game is important to wear down the opposing team, so make sure you play aggressively with Garchomp and preserve Starmie to ensure eventual removal. Use Bisharp to weaken or out right remove Mega Diancie's most common check, Jirachi, along with any other Psychic-type that dares show its head. HP Fire is chosen over Protect on Mega Diancie to help lure in and remove Mega Scizor, which walls Bisharp and can revenge kill both Aurumoth and Mega Diancie.

All in all this team is pretty straight forward to use; get Stealth Rock up, keep Stealth Rock off your side, and wear down the opposing team until one of Mega Diancie, Aurumoth, or Talonflame can sweep.
Diancie @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Aurumoth @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Bug Buzz
- Overheat
- Quiver Dance

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 48 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Scald

Talonflame
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Team 4

The team is based around Quiver Aurumoth. The main win con of this team being Aurumoth its was important to supply it with a nice back bone, which is where Colo, Rachi, Tomo, and M-Scizor come in. Colo provides the team with hazard removal, as well as a nice way to handle things along the line of Mollux, Plasmanta, and Stratagem. Its also probably the best spinner as its Dark typing allows for it to handle Spin Blockers very easily, plus you gotta love that pursuit trap. Tomohawk is always nice to have as it provides the team with stealth rocks, which is almost a necessity, as well as a way to deal with opposing Colo's and is just generally one of the best physical wall you can have. Jirachi provides the team with a very necessary fairy check, as well as with wish support, keeping the team healthy. M-Scizor is there to help with things like Syclant and Kyu-B, which can be a real pain to this team otherwise, it also serves as a back up win con with SD. And finally there Volkraken, which is how you dont lose to Caw. It allows for a great way to gain momentum and revenge kill, as well as between it and M-Scizor, cleaning up late game is a breeze. Volk also acts as a nice way to disguise auru, as it forces a lot of switches and with Auru's access to surf, its impossible to tell the difference, even if hazards are up, as they take the same amount from rocks.
Aurumoth @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Surf
- Psyshock

Colossoil @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Volkraken @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
- Power Gem

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Aura Sphere

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

Team 4

Talonflame can be a bit tricky to handle for this team, but with such a well-built team in a meta where balance is so effective, it's easy to forgive. Team 3 was nice as well, but minor nitpick: losing out on scouting Volk w/ Diancie sucks. Team 1 seems threatening and fun to use but is a bit too gimmicky for my taste. Team 2's bulky offense appears solid but being weak to threats such as Caw and HP Fire Diancie is crippling + prevalence of Rocks makes the Illusion strategy tough.

Last edited:

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Team 4

Overall seems like the best build, good offensive pressure makes switching into threats to the team a lot more difficult for the opponent.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Team one has no mega, team two has no caw check. Team three has no guard moth with overheat as the lowest accuracy move... illusion seems better in that situation, really. Team 4 has three fire weaknesses.

Ugh, this is hard. Really, team 3 and 4 seem to be the most cohesively built, but both have MAJOR flaws.

Team 3 has the no guard weirdness, is absolutely demolished by kingdra and rain teams, is massacred by mixed Kyu-B, and a plethora of specs users and set up sweepers.

Team 4 has a super fire weakness that is only partly remedied by Volkraken. With simple rocks though, Talonflame can rape the team.

Ugh. Hate to do this. But I have to vote for Team 1.

Really though, come on kids, get more serious next time.

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
People expect Staraptor to use final gambit as well, but that is not the case as, equipped with a choice band, has dangerous potential to KO defensive mons such as Pyroak and Tomohawk, and 2KO Cyclohm which give Cawmodore and Manaphy Trouble
Team 3

I've always considered Final Gambit spam teams as gimmicks that rely on surprise rather than solid teambuilding and playing. I couldn't vote for Team 1 if I tried.

It even says in the description of Team 2 that it loses to Cawmodore, Diancie, and Gardevoir, which is pretty bad imo. Thats a no from me.

Team 3 looks fun although No Guard on Aurumoth seems like a waste. Bisharp is really cool since everyone has a Jirachi boner rn.

Team 4 looks competent but its literally another variation of those boring balance teams people have been building for the last six months. I can only see so many Colossoil/Tomohawk/Mega Scizor/Scarfed Fire-type teams before they get old.

Last edited:

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Team 4

Ok, so after thinking it over, Team 4 definitely has my vote. While it does utilize cookie cutter mons, it's still a solid build and an excellent representation of what a balanced team should look like. It's only real threat is Talonflame. Team 2 was my initial vote, but after taking Cawmodore's usage into consideration, I realize that it isn't suitable for serious room tours. Team 3 is pretty solid, but Rocky Helmet max speed Garchomp makes me cringe.

Last edited:

DJTHED

Amateur 3D Animator
is a Top Artist
Team 3

Disregarding the random No Guard Auru that barely takes advantage of it, and offensive rocky helm chomp, this is the best choice I can come up with.

It was close, but the winner this time around is Team 3, which was built by cbrevan. The team has been added to the Hall of Fame with a few minor adjustments by cbrevan based on thread feedback. Congrats!

The core for Round 3 is Bird Spam: Cawmodore + Flying-type

Cawmodore is one of the most threatening setup sweepers in the metagame and is well-known for tearing apart weakened teams with its signature Belly Drum set. The premise of Bird Spam is simple: running two (or more) offensive Flying-types on a team so that one can put heavy dents in their shared checks, allowing another the opportunity to sweep later in the match. The only requirement this round is that Cawmodore must be paired up with at least one other Flying-type. Let's go!

PM me your teams by Friday, December 18th at 8:00 pm (EST).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)