Unpopular opinions

I'm sorry that I'm too lame to not want to deal with RNG bullshit for getting various teams quickly for friendly matches. Some of us don't have the time, patience, or luck to deal with a shitty mechanic that honestly needs to be axed. We just want to have fun with friends outside of the sims and not have to deal with all of the strings attatched with breeding and soft-reseting.

Seriously, fuck you. I shouldn't have to get attacked for my relatively harmless opinion, especially since a legal hack isn't affecting your game.

EDIT: Somebody posted a comic somewhere in our forums that describes my feelings a lot better, but I can't find the thread.
Goddamn man, calm down lol.

As much as I dislike hacked Pokemon, my opinion is this:

Who the fuck CARES? Seriously, it's not the end of the bloody world if someone hacks in, say, a 6IV Charizard because they think breeding is too time-consuming. I dislike using hacked Pokemon myself, but I won't bash on them, and say hacking is wrong. Just as long as they don't hack in, say, a Sheer Cold No Guard Deoxys-Speed, then I'm fine.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As much as I dislike hacked Pokemon, my opinion is this:

Who the fuck CARES? Seriously, it's not the end of the bloody world if someone hacks in, say, a 6IV Charizard because they think breeding is too time-consuming. I dislike using hacked Pokemon myself, but I won't bash on them, and say hacking is wrong. Just as long as they don't hack in, say, a Sheer Cold No Guard Deoxys-Speed, then I'm fine.
Yeah, as long as the hacks are legal I honestly don't see the harm (that said I wouldn't use them since I'm afraid something would have gone wrong with them and they'd corrupt my save file). Heck, I think most people here actually use Pokemon Showdown! for their battling needs and all Pokemon there are pretty much (legal) hacks.

Though I suppose the question should be if you're going to an official Pokemon Tournament should you bring hacks. That starts to cross into iffy territory. Like as long as the hack is legal you won't get caught, BUT morally you should probably have trained a legit team from scratch. Afterall its just six Pokemon at the most you'll be training up... but on the other hand those six Pokemon may take days if not a few weeks to get them to where you want to be. Though considering the lockdown GF/TPC have done about hacks over the years they probably have ways to identify hacks and, while I'm sure people have figured out the "flags" which they look for, if you forget about one of these flags you'll get in trouble which wouldn't happen with a legit team.

But if you're just battling with friends and messing around? Sure, whatever, just don't be a jerk about it if you do wifi battles like make them all Shiny (some are alright, but not an entire team of 6. Yes, even if they're legit, stop showing off) or give them illegal moves/Abilities.

I think we should move to a new Unpopular opinion, this one is getting a bit heated up if messages start needing to be deleted and people are cursing.

NEW UNPOPULAR OPINION: I kind of found Lookers inclusion in ORAS pointless. You find him washed up on the Battle Resort beach, he has amnesia, he gives you the Audinite... and that's it! Like it feels like they had the model of him so decided since he travels the world they can use him again. Like I suppose this could be building up to something the next time he appears in a game like XY2/Z, but for ORAS it feels pointless. I like Looker, I want to help him! Even if he doesn't get his memory back I'd like it if we were maybe given some additional stuff to do like he founds stuff on him and we can go investigate it to fill in the story of what happened.
Actually a lot of times it feels like there seems to be a quest opportunity but the games don't give it to you. Another example with ORAS is with Sea Mauville. Like you'd think after finding the letters and seeing his dad you would have something to say to Professor Cozmo, but nope. He just says the same thing he always says. Like maybe he'd like to have those letters he sent to his father and know his father is not only alright but still cares about him as he obsessed over the Skitty Doll he sent him over a room filled with gold nuggets. It's not like Cozmo hated his father, it was his mother who didn't.
For non-ORAS examples I would also say some Ferris Wheel dates from BW and BW2 sound like they had quest potential. Like with the male character there's a female trainer, forgot what trainer class, who says she's being constantly followed/tracked down. Well, I'm the Champion, I can deal with some punks! But nope, you only get to ride the Ferris Wheel with her and momentarily ease her troubles (they could have even made it interesting like reveal she's actually a former Team Plasma member with top security information about them and is being chased by Neo Team Plasma members to keep her quiet). Or I think the girls get one about a sick boy who travels to the Ferris Wheel by himself despite his condition because his father is working all the time. Well why can't the female trainer find a way to convince the father that, while it's understandable he wants to work hard to assure his son's health, at the same time he's ignoring his child which is just as unhealthy.

I have to agree with you on the Looker. When I found him I got super excited and expected another post-game story like in XY. Yay... Audnite. I kept talking to him hoping to get more dialogue and something to do, but nope, nothing. The only use for him being there is Audinite, and theorists. I may post my own theory on how he got in the middle of Hoenn's ocean in the Mysteries thread, but that's all.

The ferris wheel chick was pretty much a chunni, someone with delusions. I never thought of her higher than that to be honest.

Also if I recall some of it is lost in translation.

Other than that office lady was memorable as hell. And that hiker.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The ferris wheel chick was pretty much a chunni, someone with delusions. I never thought of her higher than that to be honest.

Also if I recall some of it is lost in translation.

Other than that office lady was memorable as hell. And that hiker.
Oh, so it was a joke she thought someone was after her? Huh, well I suppose since it didn't lead anywhere anyway guess it doesn't matter but still a bit disappointed there's nothing more to that story.

Yeah, if I recall there is some lost in translation stuff between the Japanese and English version, notably with the Office Lady if I'm right in thinking she's the transgender one?

Oh, so it was a joke she thought someone was after her? Huh, well I suppose since it didn't lead anywhere anyway guess it doesn't matter but still a bit disappointed there's nothing more to that story.

Yeah, if I recall there is some lost in translation stuff between the Japanese and English version, notably with the Office Lady if I'm right in thinking she's the transgender one?
According to all of her fanart, nope XD

It's not something lost in translation. The Japanese version says that it is due to medical science according to Bulbapedia.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
According to all of her fanart, nope XD
I have to correct myself, I made a few mistakes with the Ferris Wheel dates (though being no place have collected their dialouge (come on Bulbapedia, would it really be that hard?) I think it's understandable):

1. I accidentally combined two stories. It's Preschooler Winter who has a father who works all the time and sleeps when he gets home, Rich Boy Martin is the sick kid but his story is he just wants to ride the Ferris Wheel despite how sick he is.
2. You're talking about Clerk Trisha who in BW is lonely and says she wished she has a younger brother like the male playable character. She probably got a lot more popularity when BW2 came out as she's one of the returning "dates" and she reveals she's a mother-to-be soon. The internet has taken this to its logical jump in conclusion that the male playable character in BW knocked her up. *sigh*
3. The one I was talking about was Waitress Aurora who on one of her dates loosens her skirt to reveal she has a bulge in the Japanese version. They change her dialogue in the International version though I don't know to what (though I think she still flirts with you so no transgender surprise but okay with lesbianism?).
4. Beauty December is the paranoid one who says she's being tracked down and mentions she's afraid to look outside the window and need to keep training to become "stronger".

That's in the XY Battle Maison, I'm talking about the Gen V's Ferris Wheel dates.

I have to correct myself, I made a few mistakes with the Ferris Wheel dates (though being no place have collected their dialouge (come on Bulbapedia, would it really be that hard?) I think it's understandable):

1. I accidentally combined two stories. It's Preschooler Winter who has a father who works all the time and sleeps when he gets home, Rich Boy Martin is the sick kid but his story is he just wants to ride the Ferris Wheel despite how sick he is.
2. You're talking about Clerk Trisha who in BW is lonely and says she wished she has a younger brother like the male playable character. She probably got a lot more popularity when BW2 came out as she's one of the returning "dates" and she reveals she's a mother-to-be soon. The internet has taken this to its logical jump in conclusion that the male playable character in BW knocked her up. *sigh*
3. The one I was talking about was Waitress Aurora who on one of her dates loosens her skirt to reveal she has a bulge in the Japanese version. They change her dialogue in the International version though I don't know to what (though I think she still flirts with you so no transgender surprise but okay with lesbianism?).
4. Beauty December is the paranoid one who says she's being tracked down and mentions she's afraid to look outside the window and need to keep training to become "stronger".

That's in the XY Battle Maison, I'm talking about the Gen V's Ferris Wheel dates.
I remember one of the Ferris Wheel partners mentioning getting sweaty and undressing for some reason. Was that perhaps her, keeping the skirt removal without acknowledging the non-female anatomy?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I remember one of the Ferris Wheel partners mentioning getting sweaty and undressing for some reason. Was that perhaps her, keeping the skirt removal without acknowledging the non-female anatomy?
I think that's the one. Were you playing as a girl as she's a female "date".

And now you know why our beloved clerk(office lady) got some fanart.
I've also seen a bit of fanart for Lass Maya since on her date she gets nervous from the height and essentially cuddles with you on your way down, and as the "dates" go on she gets more touchy feely with you.

A few other notable ones is the Hiker who is of a the "gay" choice for the male character and later he returns as a female "date" where be bemoans about the BW male playable characters departure. Then there's the Guitarist who's a female "date" where she says he record label had completely changed her image and you're the only one she can be herself around, eventually singing a song about it.

I think that's the one. Were you playing as a girl as she's a female "date".

I've also seen a bit of fanart for Lass Maya since on her date she gets nervous from the height and essentially cuddles with you on your way down, and as the "dates" go on she gets more touchy feely with you.

A few other notable ones is the Hiker who is of a the "gay" choice for the male character and later he returns as a female "date" where be bemoans about the BW male playable characters departure. Then there's the Guitarist who's a female "date" where she says he record label had completely changed her image and you're the only one she can be herself around, eventually singing a song about it.
To be honest, I've played both Gen 5 games (as in a BW and B2W2) as both genders once, but I can't remember which playthrough I saw that dialogue in.

Okay, I need some proof of this (including the dialogue) since I never really did the Ferris Wheel as it takes five hundred hours.
Also, trying to find proof of this on my own resulted in me seeing Matt Smith in drag, so I hope all of you are happy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Okay, I need some proof of this (including the dialogue) since I never really did the Ferris Wheel as it takes five hundred hours.
Also, trying to find proof of this on my own resulted in me seeing Matt Smith in drag, so I hope all of you are happy.
Doh! The mistakes just keep coming.

So I was wrong again. It's not Waitress Aurora or a transgender but the male "date" Nursery Aide June who's a crossdresser. He needs to crossdress because it was the only way he could obtain his teaching job. This is only in the Japanese and the French version.

The Hiker is real:

If I remember correctly, his pervy lines were edited out in the English version of BW, but he returns in BW2 to complain to the female PC about romance, and is mentioned again in XY (in Shalour City) by a construction worker (I think).

The evidence was taken with a translation script Japanese to English.
[[ Hiker Natsumi - Summer (Natsu) ]]
Whew! You there, boy! How 'bout this humidity, day after day!
Can't help but make the best of a summer like this! Eh?
So hey! How 'bout you take a ride on the Ferris wheel with me!
For free, of course! All I ask is you go up against my best Pokémon, boy! [ Yes / No ]
[ No ]
Aah! Shame, shame, boy!
A young bud like you oughta enjoy a sweltering summer season!
[ Yes ]
Really now! Boy! You've got promise, I tell you what!
Well, instead of a greeting, let's go headfirst into battle!
(Battle with Hiker Natsumi, who has a Boldore. "Oho! Boy, boy! Your Pokémon are ripped!")
Whew, great! Boy! You and your Pokémon are splendid! Wonderful! Can't get enough of 'em!
So, now...
We've warmed up both our bodies and souls, so... let's head into the Ferris wheel!
Come along, boy!
(They get on.)
Ho ho... sure is humid... like a sauna, boy, I tell you what!
Ahhh, it's so hot... you're really sweatin', boy...
By the way... boy... you ever had a lover?
(They get off.)
Man, that thing was way more hot and humid than I was expecting!
But I think gotten to know you a little better, boy! Y'know?!
I'm planning on loitering around and about for a while longer!
Whenever you feel like improving your understanding, don't be shy, come by and holler! Right! Okay, see you again, boy!

Hey, you came, boy! Summertime doesn't last! Enjoying it?
If you're not enjoying quite enough, how 'bout you and I make a summer memory on the Ferris wheel! [ Yes / No ]
[ No ]
What! I say what, boy! Kind of a downer, you are!
How could you forget the time we spent together? Eh?
Our summer together doesn't have to wait 'til next year! Y'know? I'll stick around, so I hope you change your mind!
[ Yes ]
Really! Oh, really! Boy! I think we're gonna make some big progress in our relationship here!
Well, first, in place of a greeting, let's charge into a Pokémon battle!
(Same as the first battle.)
Boy, your Pokémon sure are sturdy! They're fine, they are!
I believe there'll be a lot of growth and possibilities ahead of you, boy!
Well then, better get on with it...
Time for today's main dish! We're heading into the Ferris wheel!
Let's roll, boy! Come on!
(They get on.)
Ho ho... sure is humid... like a sauna, boy, I tell you what!
Ahhh, it's so hot... you're really sweatin', boy...
By the way... boy... you ever had a lover?
(They get off.)
Our shirts are soaked with sweat, but it tells the story of the time we passed, boy!
And with this, we've developed a deeper understanding!
Our summer vacation together will never end!
Well, see you again, boy!

SOURCE

I really have too much time on my hands...

Last edited:
I don't care that Charizard is only 5'7". What I care about is that Nidoking is only 4'7"! Meanwhile, Dratini is a massive 5'11" long.
Well, Dratini is measured from head to tail compared to the other two. But still... Nidoking definitely should have been bigger. Heck, even the tiniest of my university friends, who gets angry when we call her short, is taller than Nidoking by like a couple of inches.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What's even more annoying is that the English-language games, released all over the world where no localization is available, only have the measurements available in f-ing Imperial. Would it be that hard to code in an option to switch to Metric?
I thought they did differentiate between American English and British English?

That said it shouldn't be that difficult to let players in any language switch between imperial and metric.

Yeah, it is a little silly how there isn't even a option. I mean, isn't it still programmed in as every version of the game has all of the languages nowadays? Unless you get an American copy, set the language to Japanese, and it is still in Imperial units, which would be amazingly silly.

Here's a new unpopular opinion, though one with less weight since X and Y:
It never once bothered me that Charizard is Fire/Flying. I can't remember a single time where I was stumped that it wasn't, even as a kid. Even Gyarados being Water/Flying didn't bother me, though to be fair, the only wingless, serpentine dragons I had ever seen at that point was Dratini, Dragonair, and Shenron, so that thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind.
It does bother me a little that Mega Gyarados isn't Water/Dragon, but Water/Dark is cool.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Here's a new unpopular opinion, though one with less weight since X and Y:
It never once bothered me that Charizard is Fire/Flying. I can't remember a single time where I was stumped that it wasn't, even as a kid. Even Gyarados being Water/Flying didn't bother me, though to be fair, the only wingless, serpentine dragons I had ever seen at that point was Dratini, Dragonair, and Shenron, so that thought wouldn't have even crossed my mind.
It does bother me a little that Mega Gyarados isn't Water/Dragon, but Water/Dark is cool.
I understood and wasn't bothered with Charizard, yeah he looks like a dragon but he breathes fire and flies thus Fire/Flying is just as applicable as Fire/Dragon.

However I when I was young I didn't understood why Gyarados was part Flying. Like now I know it was because of game balance, but when I was younger I didn't understand how or why it was flying (though honestly I think it should have just remained pure Water if it wasn't going to be part Dragon unless they wanted the additional weaknesses on it). Though oddly I never questioned why a fish became a serpent, guess rule of cool kind of took over for that point.

And I understand why Mega Gyarados is Water/Dark, but still when Charizard and Mewtwo got two Mega Evolutions and Mega Ampharos getting the Dragon-type just because of its Japanese name pun it seems kind of cheap Gyarados didn't get a Water/Dragon Mega Evolution even though it was originally meant to be Water/Dragon.

However I when I was young I didn't understood why Gyarados was part Flying. Like now I know it was because of game balance, but when I was younger I didn't understand how or why it was flying (though honestly I think it should have just remained pure Water if it wasn't going to be part Dragon unless they wanted the additional weaknesses on it). Though oddly I never questioned why a fish became a serpent, guess rule of cool kind of took over for that point.
It wasn't because of game balance at all. Gyarados is partly based on Koinobori:

Koinobori (鯉幟), meaning "carp streamer" in Japanese, are carp-shaped wind socks traditionally flown in Japan to celebrate Tango no Sekku (端午の節句), a traditional calendrical event which is now designated a national holiday; Children's Day (Kodomo no Hi, 子供の日). These wind socks are made by drawing carp patterns on paper, cloth or other nonwoven fabric. They are then allowed to flutter in the wind. They are also known as satsuki-nobori (皐幟).

Children's Day takes place on May 5, the last day of Golden Week, the largest break for workers and also a week in which businesses usually close for up to 9–10 days. Landscapes across Japan are decorated with koinobori from April to early May, in honor of children for a good future and in the hope that they will grow up healthy and strong.

[...]

According to Japanese American National Museum, the carp was chosen as a symbol for Boys' Day because "the Japanese consider it the most spirited fish -- so full of energy and power that it can fight its way up swift-running streams and cascades. Because of its strength and determination to overcome all obstacles, it stands for courage and the ability to attain high goals. Since these are traits desired in boys, families traditionally flew Koinobori from their homes to honor their sons." (Japanese American National Museum, 2006). According to About.com's Namiko Abe, "in a Chinese legend, a carp swam upstream to become a dragon" (Abe).

[...]

SOURCE: GYARADOS ORIGIN
SOURCE: KOINOBORI

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It wasn't because of game balance at all. Gyarados is partly based on Koinobori:

Koinobori (鯉幟), meaning "carp streamer" in Japanese, are carp-shaped wind socks traditionally flown in Japan to celebrate Tango no Sekku (端午の節句), a traditional calendrical event which is now designated a national holiday; Children's Day (Kodomo no Hi, 子供の日). These wind socks are made by drawing carp patterns on paper, cloth or other nonwoven fabric. They are then allowed to flutter in the wind. They are also known as satsuki-nobori (皐幟).

Children's Day takes place on May 5, the last day of Golden Week, the largest break for workers and also a week in which businesses usually close for up to 9–10 days. Landscapes across Japan are decorated with koinobori from April to early May, in honor of children for a good future and in the hope that they will grow up healthy and strong.

[...]

According to Japanese American National Museum, the carp was chosen as a symbol for Boys' Day because "the Japanese consider it the most spirited fish -- so full of energy and power that it can fight its way up swift-running streams and cascades. Because of its strength and determination to overcome all obstacles, it stands for courage and the ability to attain high goals. Since these are traits desired in boys, families traditionally flew Koinobori from their homes to honor their sons." (Japanese American National Museum, 2006). According to About.com's Namiko Abe, "in a Chinese legend, a carp swam upstream to become a dragon" (Abe).

[...]

SOURCE: GYARADOS ORIGIN
SOURCE: KOINOBORI
I know what it's based on. I was talking when I was a kid when I didn't even think about Pokemon stuff being based off Japanese culture. :P And while it does explain where the Flying-type came from (another reason could be that when a carp jumps through the dragon gate it turns into a dragon and flies off), I still think it was for type balancing. Let's recall many of the times we seen a Gyarados, where has it been? Mainly in the water. We do see the rare occasion when it does go out onto land and it does indeed float (also its eligible for Sky Battles) but 99% of times when we see a Gyarados its in the water. Finally the only Flying-type move that Gyarados learns is Bounce, a move that indicates its jumping rather than flying. Had it just been a Water-type I think no one would have any complaints... except when they faced it in battle. While its stats aren't that impressive nowadays it was a BEAST back in Gen I and all you got to do to get one was train a Magikarp to level 20 by switching it into and out of battle. Yeah, kind of overpowered, and had it been pure Water it would only been weak to Electric and Grass. BUT, adding on the Flying-type meant that, while it swapped the Grass weakness for Rock, it gained a quadruple weakness to Electric. So while it was still a beast it now has an Achilles heel. Heck, Mega Gyarados looks more like a Koinobori but you'll notice they ditched its Flying-type and gave it a more suitable type (maybe not the one people wanted, but it does match its personality) which it has something to work with (especially now that it has Crunch... still I think it could get some more Dark- and Flying-type moves).

That said, I think the "meant to be a Dragon-type" trivia might have been a mistake. I remember reading on Bulbapedia that as part of the trivia. However it has since been removed AND I also found a discussion on Bulbapedia about that info not only lacking a source but also that the way the game was programmed seemed to indicate the Dragon-type was a last minute entry why Gyarados isn't (thus probably was always intended to by Water/Flying).

Reactions: JES
Gonna try another one.

I think Grass/Dragon mSceptile was a shitty idea and done only for the sake of coolness. Likewise I think most people's "" unique "" suggestions for mega Whatever with an additional Dragon or Fairy typing are also shitty ideas done for the sake of coolness.

See: Dunsparce, Milotic, Rapidash, Mismagius, Serperior, pretty much every mono type without a mega on every Pokémon discussion board ever.

Charizard gets a pass because it was obvious really and Ampharos was a funny pun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)