PSYCHONAUTS 2 BATMAN TELLTALE OH MYY

I'm conflicted. On one hand, I really want to play Psychonauts 2.

On the other hand: Can we really trust Tim Schafer with crowdfunding? His track record on that is not impressive, to say the least.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know how to feel about a Batman game from telltale... but if it's what I have in mind then it should turn out well. One thing I always loved about Batman is the "World's Best Detective" aspect to it, which I think Origins attempted at doing somewhat, and did a pretty good job by not making it tedious while still making the player feel like they're srsly "World's Best Detective" even tho it was pretty much very straightforward and easy.. it's still a big part of why I really like Origins and think its underrated imo.

But yeah, if it's focused around that (which I'm sure it is), then I'm kinda super excited @_@

On the other hand: Can we really trust Tim Schafer with crowdfunding? His track record on that is not impressive, to say the least.
Probably not, he kinda did fuck over the "crowd" part of "crowdfunding" with broken age lol.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Arikado indirectly brings up a good point. Telltate's worst game (well, we don't talk about Jurassic Park) was The Wolf Among Us, a detective story where they made an awesome detective look like a big fucking idiot all the time. So yeah, maybe not the right people for this specific franchise.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As someone who doesn't play the "interactive movie" genre, isn't all of Telltale's shit the same anyway? Meh.

I actually just finished playing Psychonauts recently though. I can get behind that, great game. Not as great as I was led to believe, maybe it's just collect-a-thon 3D platformers simply don't have the same appeal to me that they did 10+ years ago, but the dialogue is damn hilarious. Now, the crowdfunding BS...

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Arikado indirectly brings up a good point. Telltate's worst game (well, we don't talk about Jurassic Park) was The Wolf Among Us, a detective story where they made an awesome detective look like a big fucking idiot all the time. So yeah, maybe not the right people for this specific franchise.
Bigby isn't really focused on being a detective in the comics side from the first arc, though he was pretty good in that.

Unless I'm not remembering correctly but it's mostly to do with paternity and the roles of being 'a pack leader'

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Bigby isn't really focused on being a detective in the comics side from the first arc, though he was pretty good in that.
He becomes more of a spymaster (well, always was) than an actual detective, but the point is he's pretty much always intelligent and on top of things.

The problem is that Telltale's first big game was ALL about point of view and it's something that at least in the games I've played has stuck. But in Bigby's kind of detective story the audience is shown the various clues and has to wonder about the outcome, while the whole time Bigby would know everything and it's just about catching the bad guy. On other hand, in The Wolf Among Us, he just kind of gets played like a chump constantly until he remembers that he is physically a god. Now not every detective story works that way, but I think Batman also works better that way.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
He becomes more of a spymaster (well, always was) than an actual detective, but the point is he's pretty much always intelligent and on top of things.

The problem is that Telltale's first big game was ALL about point of view and it's something that at least in the games I've played has stuck. But in Bigby's kind of detective story the audience is shown the various clues and has to wonder about the outcome, while the whole time Bigby would know everything and it's just about catching the bad guy. On other hand, in The Wolf Among Us, he just kind of gets played like a chump constantly until he remembers that he is physically a god. Now not every detective story works that way, but I think Batman also works better that way.
I'll agree that Wolf Among Us doesn't stay 100% true to Bigby's character but I wouldn't call the narrative told to be dreadful. If you're going through the genre you're basically there for the ride / story. My biggest quip is that the "choices" you're given don't actually affect anything. But that seems to be a common theme in TellTale games.

This is to compare the story to Heavy Rain, where decisions and missed actions do actually change the story in some way. The play-through can be changed where Wolf and, say, Walking Dead are fixed.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I'll agree that Wolf Among Us doesn't stay 100% true to Bigby's character but I wouldn't call the narrative told to be dreadful. If you're going through the genre you're basically there for the ride / story. My biggest quip is that the "choices" you're given don't actually affect anything. But that seems to be a common theme in TellTale games.
I didn't really hate The Wolf Among Us. It got me interested in reading Fables. But Fables is waaaaay better, where I find the Walking Dead games to be better than the (still very good) comics.

This is to compare the story to Heavy Rain, where decisions and missed actions do actually change the story in some way. The play-through can be changed where Wolf and, say, Walking Dead are fixed.
But the thing about Season 1 is that it's not about "what you change" like you're the stereotype game character demi-god. It's about WHO you are in the post-apocalypse. It offered a morality play that transcended the trite and typical "be all bad or all good and get rewarded for either choice". One of my fondest moments in gaming is during the cannibal episode. I brutally killed the first brother, because I fucking hated him. But I felt really bad when I realized that Clementine had seen this. So I actually spared the next guy. Sometimes I acted out of self interest or survival, but it, and my bond with Clementine, made me interested enough in trying to redeem myself.

Seasons 2 is even more limited, but that's ok as I feel it's thematically more about the heat death of the universe. Not who the characters are, after all, Clementine is firmly established at that point (though my Clementine was not always a good kid because my Lee was not always a good role model), but how to carry on living at all with the slow dwindling of supplies, morale, people, and even the temperature. You can see this plot thread repeated multiple times through other characters in the story. It was very fascinating to me, so it got a pass.

Wolf Among Us was, ehhh, I guess it leaned a lot on its source material only to not really live up to it. You do just get kind of pulled around and don't get to really solve the mystery yourself because that would change the game too much.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)