Duelyst

I have recently stumbled on what I believe is the greatest CCG since Magic the Gathering. It's essentially a card game with the mechanics of a tactical turn based RPG like Fire Emblem

https://duelyst.com/

This a game that functions similarly to Hearthstone in that there are 6 classes, with neutral minions available to everyone, and class unique spells and minions that can only go in a deck of that class. What sets the game apart is that it's played on a 9x5 grid. Your general is a 2 attack, 25 health character that represents you, and can equip artifacts to modify your abilities in battle. Minions can be placed in the attack range of any character you control, the move limit is 2 spaces for any character (vertically and horizontally), and the attack range is the immediate area including diagonal squares. This also allows for new mechanics, minions that can attack anywhere, move anywhere, be placed anywhere, or get bonuses from positioning or attack facing. Additionally, a lot of Hearthstone staple mechanics are implemented and function similarly.

Currently the game is in open beta. There's a ranked ladder and arena that function like Hearthstone, and the business model of collecting cards by opening packs and crafting is handled similarly as well. This game gives you more quests worth more gold, a higher drop rate for cards of higher rarities out of packs, and better bonuses from winning ladder, while increasing the deck size to 40 and allowed card count for duplicate copies to 3.

The art and music are fantastic. Cards are handled as sprite art with interesting animations ala Fire Emblem 7 and backgrounds are stunning. Interface and quality of life wise, the game still feels like a beta in some ways, but is mostly very clean at this point.

Has anyone else on Smogon seen or played this one? As a veteran of other CCGs this is an interesting and fresh challenge for me and I'm curious to see what other people have come up with in terms of decks. General discussion of gameplay is also recommended. If you haven't played it and do enjoy Hearthstone, I would wholeheartedly recommend taking a look.

I played this a bit, I love it, I love how beginner friendly it is. zorbees knows more than me about this even tho I told him about it FeelsBadMan

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i've been a bit burnt out with this but thats just how i get with a lot of stuff. it really is a good game. It can be a bit frustrating to play without paying but from what ive read, budget decks can be pretty effective for all but the highest level of play. This game seems a lot easier to grind free-to-play than hearthstone, no adventures for one, and it seems easier to get gold, and the developers i believe are interested in keeping it that way. When I get back into this, I'm probably just going to plunk down like $50 on packs and then build from there.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hearthstone wasn't exactly difficult to get into on the free-to-play level when it went open beta, either. It's just, you know, two years later... We'll see down the road how well Duelyst has stuck to that word.

I'll keep a vague eye on this but I first saw "strategy" and got disappointed when I looked deeper and figured out it was just Hearthstone 2. FFT is one of my favorite games ever and I spent way too much time playing Dofus Arena back in the day, was hoping for an actual strategy game. :(

@Mr. E I can agree with that sentiment. A lot of what the game lacks in comparison to the great single player tactics RPGs is time. Creatures have lower heath in comparison and die quickly to removal, but the game is over faster so it can't compensate in volume like Advance Wars. In the way it plays it can definitely feel a lot like Hearthstone 2, but I find that just like Hearthstone's simplifications allow you to have better predictability over the long game which ultimately makes higher level play different, not easier necessarily than MTG, the fast paced nature of this game has it's own advantages.

the pugilist sure, just my opinion based on what I value and enjoy.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is there any form of limited play (e.g. MtG draft and sealed, hearthstone arena) and how good is it?

Is there any form of limited play (e.g. MtG draft and sealed, hearthstone arena) and how good is it?
ye it's called the Gauntlet, can't speak on it's quality since I've only ran through it once. It's functionally the same as hearthstones arena, pick 1 out of three cards and draft a deck of a certain size.

i only just started this game but its pretty fun so far, still in the process of leveling all the classes to 11 but so far i like the variety in how each class plays alot.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
So damn good - I've been playing Hearthstone for years and really loved it, but Duelyst takes Hearthstone and improves on all the fundamental things wrong with the game (awful gold payout, ladder being brutal for new players, ridiculous amounts of game-defining RNG etc.). Haven't played Hearthstone since I downloaded Duelyst - I'm sick of the RNG and minion/minion/minion/minion/minion/minion/minion turn progressions.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I looked into this and played a little bit of it and it was p solid imo.

But I just dont have the time or money to play another game with such an opressive f2p system, so it looks like I have to pass on this game.

Just hit S-Rank (The Duelyst equivalent of Legend rank) for the first time with a standard Vetruvian list. Now that I can't drop out I'm buying some packs and looking to experiment with other classes.

If anyone wants to add me in this game I'm GEISTWHEEL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)