Media Videogame thread

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You're missing one thing tho, those aren't AAA titles. Like, they probably don't even come close to one tenth of ff7 remake's cost.
And yet both are selling better than Lightning Returns.

Plus, FF7 still has to be a LONG game with the same amount of story. It's way more cost effective to make a turn based game of that length than an action game.

I don't see this as being any different from that X-Com FPS game that no one bought.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
And yet both are selling better than Lightning Returns.

Plus, FF7 still has to be a LONG game with the same amount of story. It's way more cost effective to make a turn based game of that length than an action game.
Are they profiting more though? Lightning Returns was just one part of a trilogy that was really successful sales-wise, otherwise it wouldn't have been made into a trilogy otherwise.

You have to compare profits, not just sales. Undertale is what, $10? And only on steam? FF7 is a console game being sold for full retail price of $60 and released on two, possibly more, different platforms. And it's also a remake of a game that many people consider the best of all time. It's still a remake that will at least satisfy old fans to an extent, but it will also attract a lot of newcomers (myself included).

edit: Oh, and according to VGChartz Bravely Default sold 1.24 mill, Lightning Returns sold 1.29 across both platforms.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Are they profiting more though? Lightning Returns was just one part of a trilogy that was really successful sales-wise, otherwise it wouldn't have been made into a trilogy otherwise.
Only 13 sold well. 13-2 and LR sold for shit, probably because people hated 13. And 13-2 is only half bad from what I hear, but I mean, I didn't buy it. The 13 series was planned WAY in advance and overall drained a LOT of money from the company whereas just selling 13 might have been a profit for them. Remember that FF15 was originally an FF13 game... not a coincidence that it's no longer called FF13 Versus.

And what's your point anyway? Are you actually arguing that every AAA game should be some form of FPS or 3rd person action game? You like the Souls games, right? I know that's 3rd person action, but those games would NEVER have been made by a company selling formless blobs in an attempt to catch as many players who might buy it as possible. And those game sell like crazy precisely because they are AAA games that take risks and do their own thing. Plus, it's clearly not satisfying old fans, the people who wouldn't shut up about a remake (I did years ago), that they are changing the entire genre. Will new players buy it? New players bought 13-1, and we saw what a disaster that was, and that game was only kind of trying to pander to the lowest common denominator.

FF7 remake is going to be a game where you mash buttons while braindead ai partners make no impact on the game whatsoever. It will neither be tactical nor strategic.

Hell, this doesn't just make me not want to buy FF7, it's convincing me to change my mind about FF15.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Only 13 sold well. 13-2 and LR sold for shit, probably because people hated 13. And 13-2 is only half bad from what I hear, but I mean, I didn't buy it. The 13 series was planned WAY in advance and overall drained a LOT of money from the company whereas just selling 13 might have been a profit for them. Remember that FF15 was originally an FF13 game... not a coincidence that it's no longer called FF13 Versus.

And what's your point anyway? Are you actually arguing that every AAA game should be some form of FPS or 3rd person action game? You like the Souls games, right? I know that's 3rd person action, but those games would NEVER have been made by a company selling formless blobs in an attempt to catch as many players who might buy it as possible. And those game sell like crazy precisely because they are AAA games that take risks and do their own thing. Plus, it's clearly not satisfying old fans, the people who wouldn't shut up about a remake (I did years ago), that they are changing the entire genre. Will new players buy it? New players bought 13-1, and we saw what a disaster that was, and that game was only kind of trying to pander to the lowest common denominator.

FF7 remake is going to be a game where you mash buttons while braindead ai partners make no impact on the game whatsoever. It will neither be tactical nor strategic.

Hell, this doesn't just make me not want to buy FF7, it's convincing me to change my mind about FF15.
My point is that companies don't usually take risks with AAA titles, especially ones with HUGE budgets like FF7 seems to have. They're taking a safe route. that's my point. way more people are into the braindead action sequences than the turn based combat system which can be severely punishing if you don't actually take a bit of time to think about what you're doing.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
My point is that companies don't usually take risks with AAA titles, especially ones with HUGE budgets like FF7 seems to have. They're taking a safe route. that's my point. way more people are into the braindead action sequences than the turn based combat system which can be severely punishing if you don't actually take a bit of time to think about what you're doing.
im convinced youve never played a jrpg then because you can do most battles with your eyes closed

aVocado

@ Everstone
im convinced youve never played a jrpg then because you can do most battles with your eyes closed
i mean I gotta admit I didn't play many turn based rpgs but i did play lost odyssey and it tended to be difficult as shit lmao

played a bit of chrono cross a few months back too but didn't get into it too much

edit: and I also played blue dragon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
New info on the FFVII remake from some translated interviews.
Nomura: VII in one work would turn into a digest. We judged that the remake must be full volume, so we decided to make [VII] multi-part.

Nomura: A subtitle for the VII remake would give the impression of a spin-off or sequel, so they avoided using one.

Nomura: If we make the characters reall, they'll look like real people and no one will recognize them, so we're aiming to balance.

Nomura: Advent Children models are too old, so they've been refining the graphics and balancing reality and deformation.

Aside from the CG shown at the beginning of the trailer, everything is in real-time. You can alter the camera angle during the train scene.

Cloud's appearance has to partially to do with the lighting and his pale skin. Nojima had said Cloud's sickly appearance is brilliant.

Cross-dressing scene will be included. Nomura has yet to work on the design, however.

Nomura: VIIR is completely different from Crisis Core's battle system. Not as actiony as Dissidia Arcade or KH but closer to that style.

Nomura: VIIR has ATB, but it's not the type where you wait for the gauge to fill up and then attack. It is connected with the action system.

Nomura: 3-member parties, all interchangeable and playable. You don't have to change characters if you don't want.

Nomura: The battle speed they're aiming for is Dissidia Arcade's. The battles we saw in the trailer are kind of like a standard to aim for.

Nomura went over the trailer so many times and doubted if it'd be all right to show, but the reaction he received has relieved him.

Nomura can't go into details about the battle system, but he said it's important to note that the ATB gauge turns red. Something significant.
Source (which will get updated later): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188227007&postcount=3007

By the way, I have some spare beta keys for Runescape: Chronicle, if anyone's interested in a fun and actually pretty unique digital card game.

Am I really the only person that's into Disgaea these days? D: After picking up Disgaea 5, it really re-ignited my passion for the series as a whole (I previously played Disgaea DS and that was fun while it lasted.)! I'd say, for anyone that's looking for a game that they don't mind sinking countless hours into and loves level-grinding, that they should give this game a shot. :o

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of FF remakes, there's a whole bunch of titles ported to PC on Steam, but the reviews are ranging from mixed to negative for the most part since those who've played the games again notice some severe flaws in the graphics, music and just overall effort to make the games any different than the phone versions. But since there's a part of me who'd still like to play the games again, are these flaws bad to the point where playing the games again would only make me more annoyed than nostalgic? I'd love to hear some local input on this.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What game should I get for Christmas? Xenoblade x/ bayonetta 2? idk are there other wii u games I should consider

Speaking of FF remakes, there's a whole bunch of titles ported to PC on Steam, but the reviews are ranging from mixed to negative for the most part since those who've played the games again notice some severe flaws in the graphics, music and just overall effort to make the games any different than the phone versions. But since there's a part of me who'd still like to play the games again, are these flaws bad to the point where playing the games again would only make me more annoyed than nostalgic? I'd love to hear some local input on this.
I really loved Age of Mythology. I still do. But when I went to look at reviews of the Steam version, many people didn't like it because of lag issues, graphic bugs, etc. Makes me kinda sad, but at least I still have the normal disc version. I haven't actually played the Steam version though. Most just didn't like the high price ($30?) and how it didn't add much except a couple extra campaign things. Along with the lag with doing online.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bummer the issues are honestly really over-exaggerated and the ports are perfectly playable; it just comes down to whether you think the graphics are a deal-breaker. The only real problem is the menu layout being really awkward on PC due to being the same as the mobile version, and I believe there's an option to fix that.

I have not purchased the Steam ports and got this info secondhand.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
This isn't really a steam thing. The FF ports were infamous long before they were on steam. The music is the big thing that will make you pull your hair out.

If it's worth anything, there's a version of ff7 on the PS4 that finally fixes those issues.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Transistor and the Bioshock trilogy are both on extreme sales (~80%) on steam right now. Fucking amazing games.
Seriously everyone should go play BioShock... Its fantastic. I really enjoyed all three games and how creepy/powerful the messages are. The first is the best, but the other two are still awesome games in there own right.

Oh and I got The Last Remnant in the humble bundle deal and so far its pretty good. First proper jrpg for me... Very different to what I normally play.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm certain this is an unpopular opinion, but I just wasn't too big a fan of BioShock. I picked up a combo pack of both the first and second games a few years ago, and after a few hours into the first, it just didn't feel good to play. Perhaps it's just because I've played so few shooters, but I was horribly bad at aiming the guns, frequently died in what I felt were supposed to be non-challenging portions of the game, ended up running in circles around levels because I couldn't find the items or plasmids required to progress, and could not stand fighting the Big Daddies. I remember that they just would not die, despite pumping what felt like dozens of bullets into them, and I didn't feel like the plasmids really added any strategy to fighting them. Big Daddies alone were responsible for multiple repetitive deaths that just frustrated me more than anything. I can't remember exactly where I left off, but I know I got past Doctor Steinman, and shortly afterward became too discouraged by constant deaths at some fight and set the game aside permanently.

With that said, I did like that the game's environments and atmosphere were creepy and unsettling to investigate. I also enjoyed the 40s-50s aesthetic, and how it contrasts against the massive bloodshed you see all throughout Rapture. I've seen a lot of coverage and analysis of the game from various youtubers, and I still respect the game's story and themes, even though I couldn't get to those points in the game on my own.

I guess it's worth noting that I was playing through it on Normal difficulty; would it be worth it to try replaying the game on Easy?

I guess it's worth noting that I was playing through it on Normal difficulty; would it be worth it to try replaying the game on Easy?
I'd recommend this. It's worth noting that easy mode is extremely easy so that may affect gameplay, but that shouldn't affect the story mode. If anything it's the reverse, since if you're more confident in not dying then you should be able to explore the city a bit more, find more audio logs etc. In addition a lot of the story's impact is felt in the second half of the game, so it's worth persisting imo. That said, the unbalanced nature of the story was one of the game's biggest flaws.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)