The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
idk if Tate no Yuusha has weekly releases in terms of translations because I've only been seeing them once a month...

Also what can I say, I have good taste for manga.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm just confused as to why enough people are confident enough to vote for an average score of 6.28 on mal after literally 1 episode...

Anyway I watched the first episode and it looks kinda enjoyable. I'll probably watch it all the way through unless it starts getting really shitty later on.

Asek

Banned deucer.
I'm just confused as to why enough people are confident enough to vote for an average score of 6.28 on mal after literally 1 episode...

Anyway I watched the first episode and it looks kinda enjoyable. I'll probably watch it all the way through unless it starts getting really shitty later on.
the my anime list community has quite possibly the lowest standards for what constitutes a 'good' anime. Never trust the onsite rankings. No game no life having an average score of 8.53 is a real case and point here. On the other side of the coin, good shows frequently get scores lower than what they deserve, and many users give out ep 1 scores and never change them

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've just watched F/SN:UBW and am 9 episodes into Fate/Zero, and I want to know whether it is worth watching the original fate/stay night. Will I be missing much if I don't watch it? I ask cause from what I've heard DEEN's adaptation isn't that good, so if there isn't anything major I'd miss by not watching it I'd prefer to skip it, but I haven't been able to get a proper answer by googling it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've just watched F/SN:UBW and am 9 episodes into Fate/Zero, and I want to know whether it is worth watching the original fate/stay night. Will I be missing much if I don't watch it? I ask cause from what I've heard DEEN's adaptation isn't that good, so if there isn't anything major I'd miss by not watching it I'd prefer to skip it, but I haven't been able to get a proper answer by googling it.
I see you trying to post before me Blue_Tornado

It's worth it to listen to F/SN's original score on youtube. That's about it. If you liked what you've seen so far, you should track down translations of the original visual novel online. You've essentially missed the first act of the story so far, and in general the book is a lot more brutal in its depiction of events (Saber getting her throat ripped out, Shirou having a stroke, and none of the adaptions have depicted bloodfort well).

First Impressions Time:

Gate S2: Bunny girl getting tortured. Okay then... Otherwise, the same per usual. The issues I had with the first season is that it took quite a while for me to be interested. I'm assuming that issue will be fixed here, and if not, I don't see how it could get worse.

Erased: Quite intrigued by this. Don't know what it's gonna do next though.

Dagashi Kashi: It is funny yes, but its too hyper for my taste. I do kinda like that everyone pretty much has Ryuji/8man-style eyes. Also this got a lot hype before it aired. Still struggling to come up with a reason why.

HaruChika: Its okay I guess. The character designs put me off a little and the characters themselves are boring. The mystery elements do look like they can shine through. Also there's a gay character who doesn't go crazy over the one they lust for. (Though I guess Euphonium did that too but I don't 100% remember on that) So that's something.

Koukaku no Pandora: This was so ridiculous I can't help but love it. Will it stay like this though? Cause with all the fanservice and shit it'll be hard to take seriously and/or it'll get old quick.

Ooyasan wa Shishunki: I only watched this because the loli girl looks like Renge's older sister (from Non Non Biyori). Its cute I guess, but not really funny. Pretty much Hakone-chan all over again.

Shoujo-tachi: Decently funny I suppose. Also worth noting is that the guy who did the source material did Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita/Humanity Has Declined (And also did Rewrite in terms of VNs). I doubt it'll be as weird as that but I'll see.

Shouwa: Good for what it is. For 47-minutes it did keep my interest for long. I'm assuming that all episodes will be that long, or possibly not. (Also makes me want to watch Joshiraku for some reason, I guess rakugo anime interests me)

Koyomimonogatari: The first part of this I found on the site I use for streaming anime (Watchcartoononline). The lipsyncing is horrible (though I believe that's the uploader's fault) though. Anyways, something about a rock and a shrine that Arararagi built. I'm guessing the mystery this time will be about the offerings the rock was given after the shrine was made. What's interesting to note is that this is 10-minutes shorter than most of the other Monogatari-series. Like Shouwa I don't know if this will be the case for all the episodes or not. And hey, gives me an excuse to keep my Kanbaru avatar around.

Dimension W: This episode was great. I'm not a fan of the fanservice gags but otherwise this looks like it could go somewhere good. (I really like the contrast between the badass male lead and the moeblob android as a duo in particular as well) Also a huge fan of the OP.

My top 3 thus far are Erased, Pandora and Dimension W. (This may change though as the season goes on) The only other things I'm planning on watching (that haven't aired yet) are Shirayuki-hime season 2 and Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!. I have Grimgar, Prince of Stride and Phantom World on my PTW as well but I keep hearing mixed-to-okay reactions to them thus far. As for other shorts I don't know. (Sekkou Boys looks dumb so I'll probably pick that up; I love dumb shit)

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
just wondering how do you guys have time to watch so much goddamn anime

like how do you go about making time for it if that makes any sense?

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
is Gate that type of show which targets the hardcore japanese anime fans with the MC they can relate to and a bunch of magical cute girls?

if that doesn't make sense, is Gate like NGNL?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
just wondering how do you guys have time to watch so much goddamn anime
You drop off some of the uninteresting anime mid-way instead of watching all the episodes of all 20 anime.

And I personally select only the types I like (from reading the profile). Reviews on myanimelist is also sometimes helpful, but they tend to underrate erotic ones even when they have a good story.

I'm only watching 4 shows this season, thoughts so far:

Erased (Boku Dake no Inai Machi): Strongest first episode of the four by far, great delivery and excellent voice actor for the MC. This show has the potential to be AotS if it doesn't screw up horribly.

Dagashi Kashi: This one's been getting a lot of hype and my friend wholeheartedly recommends it (he's read the manga) but the first episode was a little weak for my taste. Besides for the sugar cube + coffee joke, none of the gags were all that good, though I've heard it only gets better and better. Unless it's egregiously bad, I'll probably watch this until the end just because of the hype behind it, but it hasn't been too impressive so far. The OP is kick-ass, though, and gave me flashbacks to when Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun first came out.

Musaigen no Phantom World: Interesting premise, but the show is super generic so far after only one episode, and the limbo scene is already infamous online. I'm a bit disappointed at how much fanservice is in the show after Kyoani busted out a show like Hibike! last spring. Going to keep watching this one because it's Kyoani, but I'll drop it if it gets worse.

Koyomimonogatari: Not too much to say here. First episode was fairly boring, but it's 13 minutes and it's free extra Monogatari. I've never been a massive Monogatari fan in general, but Owari was excellent and Kizu should be available with English subs soon, so this is more or less something to tide me over.

Normally I'd be watching more shows than this in one season, but I have 50 episodes of Chihayafuru to get through so I'm taking it easy. I've also heard good things about Shouwa and about Dimension W, but neither sound particularly interesting to me and Shouwa is also very long.

Acklow

I stopped watching ongoing shows because I simply don't have any time anymore. I have school and work and with the two taking up most of my time (and the other part of my time spent on social life/video games), it's just not feasible anymore. I do occasionally binge watch recent stuff if it warrants a watchthrough (I recently binged Rokka and OPM, the first which I didn't particularly care for and the second of which I knew wouldn't be great until the next upcoming arc which the anime didn't do - i.e. Season 2 will be amazing, Season 1 was dees *ducks as stones are thrown*). Anyways, when I didn't have school and I worked full time, I was able to find quite a bit of time to watch shows during non-work hours, so there's always time to be a weeb, it's just that atm that time is now being spent as a normie by me.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I guess first impressions: i only am watching 3 for rn until i get impressed by something

Erased: really interesting, tho ive seen so many people say the VA was amazing. My first impression was that he was really bland, and embodied a "boring side character" voice. Didnt really stand out but maybe thats just me :/

Hai no Grimgar: i thought this was cool as well, the art style is really cool imo, i love how the world just seems like its painted. Nothing really happens first episode but somehow i still managed through it. Seems unnecessarily ecchi tho. Dont really have a problem with that but it wasnt really expected and kinda threw me off

Dagashi kashi: i thought this was kinda funny, should be interesting enough to finish through. I like how the characters look, and the main girl seems interesting enough to carry the anime, although it can be a little over the top. She seems like a mix of mako from klk and the girl from shimoneta fsr which is kinda cool

For what its worth i generally watch things when im about to fall asleep, since i have sleep issues anyway. 20 minutes is nothing and it keeps me from binging shit so i can get through 4-5 episodes of random things i want to watch before i eventually fall asleep

Acklow

Hai no Grimgar: i thought this was cool as well, the art style is really cool imo, i love how the world just seems like its painted. Nothing really happens first episode but somehow i still managed through it. Seems unnecessarily ecchi tho. Dont really have a problem with that but it wasnt really expected and kinda threw me off
It's funny because the manga is nothing like that at all. Once again a studio messing shit up because they think that fanservice = good service.

Erased: really interesting, tho ive seen so many people say the VA was amazing. My first impression was that he was really bland, and embodied a "boring side character" voice. Didnt really stand out but maybe thats just me :/
i think it's more that he doesn't have a Typical Male Shonen MC Voice. plus his voice is more subdued but isn't monotone - i guess it feels like he's actually fit for the role: a 29-year-old struggling writer who doesn't really care much about life and has a shitty side job. to each their own, though.

also i'm 3 episodes in to chihayafuru and this show is really fucking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)