Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

anyone got any advice for switching methods for wild pokemon in emerald? the frame im trying to hit (after accounting for offset) keeps resulting in h4 but most of the others are h2

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
anyone got any advice for switching methods for wild pokemon in emerald? the frame im trying to hit (after accounting for offset) keeps resulting in h4 but most of the others are h2
Here's what I do :
1. Run around a bit
2. Change areas and come back
3. Get in a battle and once you are out, recalibrate.

It's all luck anyway. You may have to start a new file or reset it again, or you may even have to give up on that spread entirely (it happens :\)

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I heard for Colosseum and XD abuse you'll need a modded Wii.
Is there any way to bypass this? I got a GC, I got a GBA and GBA adapter and all that jazz.
You don't need a modded Wii.

http://tellu.wpblog.jp/pokemon-xd-god-rng-guide/

Do you speak Japanese? This guide is translated for the most part but it will be a lot easier to use the programs if you know Japanese.

Anyway it takes forever on retail lol. All I can do is wish you luck :)

Oh, I understand what you mean now. You can emulate the GBC to GBA transfer, but then you need a method of getting it onto cartridge. Do you have a GBA or DS flashcart?
Yes, but I read (on reddit) that you need a GC, modded Wii, DSlite, a GBA, retail XD and Gen III game to RNG XD/Colo Pokémon and I was wondering how true that was and if there were any alternatives.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Yes, but I read (on reddit) that you need a GC, modded Wii, DSlite, a GBA, retail XD and Gen III game to RNG XD/Colo Pokémon and I was wondering how true that was and if there were any alternatives.
Nah you can definitely do it on an emulator. The reason they list so much stuff is so that you can transfer your Pokemon from XD / Colo to your retail games. Gamecube memory cards each have a different encryption, so you can't transfer save files between different memory cards. That is why it is important that you dump YOUR memory card and RNG on the emulator using only that, and the only way to do this is a modded Wii that can dump a) your memory card save file and b) your XD / Colo game.

But there are 2 ways to bypass it :

1. Emulate the GBC -> GBA connection (there are various ways to do this, including a) extracting the Pokemon's data from XD and emulating a transfer, similar to other tools that emulate a Gen 3 -> Gen 4 transfer, b) emulating the connection itself with Joybus (or another program that I forgot the name of, but I remember there are 2 of them)). The only issue with this method is that you need a GBA or DS flashcart to get your Pokemon onto a retail cart (but of course you could just transfer the .pkm to someone else who can help you out, like me xD).

2. RNG on a retail game, which is obviously a lot harder and takes forever, but the fact is then you only need a Gamecube, XD / Colo, GBA -> GBC cable. You don't need a modded Wii.

Nah you can definitely do it on an emulator. The reason they list so much stuff is so that you can transfer your Pokemon from XD / Colo to your retail games. Gamecube memory cards each have a different encryption, so you can't transfer save files between different memory cards. That is why it is important that you dump YOUR memory card and RNG on the emulator using only that, and the only way to do this is a modded Wii that can dump a) your memory card save file and b) your XD / Colo game.

But there are 2 ways to bypass it :

1. Emulate the GBC -> GBA connection (there are various ways to do this, including a) extracting the Pokemon's data from XD and emulating a transfer, similar to other tools that emulate a Gen 3 -> Gen 4 transfer, b) emulating the connection itself with Joybus (or another program that I forgot the name of, but I remember there are 2 of them)). The only issue with this method is that you need a GBA or DS flashcart to get your Pokemon onto a retail cart (but of course you could just transfer the .pkm to someone else who can help you out, like me xD).

2. RNG on a retail game, which is obviously a lot harder and takes forever, but the fact is then you only need a Gamecube, XD / Colo, GBA -> GBC cable. You don't need a modded Wii.
That's a tremendous relief since I have everything but a Wii.
Thank you, once I relearn RNG abuse (it's been 5 years), I might take you up on your offer.

If the guide you referred to before is Ask Me About Bird's guide, then keep using that, it is amazing xD
I don't remember anything from 5 years ago. All I remember is RNG'ing a flawless HP Grass Timid shiny Raikou and then cold-stopping Pogeymans.
I might've used the guide, but I don't remember if so.

So, I've been mass hunting Unowns in SoulSilver. Got 17/28 from the PID I was using, which is pretty nice. I have a question though. My PID is unique in the sense that it has like 10 encounter slots at the 470+ frames range (not that it matters for Unown, but shhh) and only one at 4 frames (but a very different Seed). After pretty much draining the 470+ one, I figured I try the 4 frames one to see if it gives me any Unowns I missed but the first try, where I just activated Kabuto, I got the exact same two Unowns as when I did the other Seed. Will this be the case for the rest as well, since the PID is the same?

If it doesn't work like that, I'll probably have to RNG more files to get the remaining letters. Too bad amab's Unown map of a PID he used only adds 5 Pokes (possible 1 extra, since he didn't add the ? or the !) so I will have to RNG a third file regardless. Should I just pick a different PID and try it with that? It's a lot of research regardless since I don't think you can calculate the letter as you can with gen 3, right?

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
So, I've been mass hunting Unowns in SoulSilver. Got 17/28 from the PID I was using, which is pretty nice. I have a question though. My PID is unique in the sense that it has like 10 encounter slots at the 470+ frames range (not that it matters for Unown, but shhh) and only one at 4 frames (but a very different Seed). After pretty much draining the 470+ one, I figured I try the 4 frames one to see if it gives me any Unowns I missed but the first try, where I just activated Kabuto, I got the exact same two Unowns as when I did the other Seed. Will this be the case for the rest as well, since the PID is the same?

If it doesn't work like that, I'll probably have to RNG more files to get the remaining letters. Too bad amab's Unown map of a PID he used only adds 5 Pokes (possible 1 extra, since he didn't add the ? or the !) so I will have to RNG a third file regardless. Should I just pick a different PID and try it with that? It's a lot of research regardless since I don't think you can calculate the letter as you can with gen 3, right?
Well I can't help you with everything, but yea the PID determining the shape is only on Gen 3 unfortunately.

You may as well try a couple more puzzle variations. Do the next one that is easiest, and if you still get the same 2 Unowns with your new seed, maybe it's safe to say that it will be the same :P If that the PID / ESV are the same then you would think that there is a good chance of this happening. But I have never done this so I am just guessing :D

I guess you should just pick a new PID, just make sure you can actually get all the Unown shapes you are missing before you RNG the file (sucks, basically means you have to RNG + catch + verify every single Unown twice, but it's better than RNGing the file just to find out that you need to RNG a new file just to get ONE Unown :P)

As far as Unown is concerned every frame that spread appears on is the exact same, and technically your second seed also has 10 slots for that spread, you just need to advance a few billion (~4294967295 iirc) frames until it comes around to them.

RNG your next ID for a PID that results in the radio always giving you a new letter (no idea how the RNG determines that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) , can get all the letters and one of !/? that way.

(also it is possible to predict Unown shapes in 4th gen but idk if/where that info was ever publicly posted and I'm too lazy to dig it up right now)

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.

As far as Unown is concerned every frame that spread appears on is the exact same, and technically your second seed also has 10 slots for that spread, you just need to advance a few billion (~4294967295 iirc) frames until it comes around to them.

RNG your next ID for a PID that results in the radio always giving you a new letter (no idea how the RNG determines that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) , can get all the letters and one of !/? that way.

(also it is possible to predict Unown shapes in 4th gen but idk if/where that info was ever publicly posted and I'm too lazy to dig it up right now)
"It also increases the chance of encountering an Unownshape the player has not yet encountered." from Bulbapedia (with regards to the Mysterious Transmission)

I've seen the PID map you are talking about, however, if this is to be believed, would it be possible that the shape that you encounter when playing the radio, could be manipulated or changed by not having encountered a certain Unown? (pure speculation)

"It also increases the chance of encountering an Unownshape the player has not yet encountered." from Bulbapedia (with regards to the Mysterious Transmission)

I've seen the PID map you are talking about, however, if this is to be believed, would it be possible that the shape that you encounter when playing the radio, could be manipulated or changed by not having encountered a certain Unown? (pure speculation)
It works the same as Sync/Cute Charm/other "increases chance of encountering X" things, except only if you haven't seen all Unown letters.
RNG call > if X encounter new Unown shape / if not X proceed as normal.

On amab's map the result was not X, but the letters changed because the RNG call happens between IVs/PID and Unown shape determination.

It works the same as Sync/Cute Charm/other "increases chance of encountering X" things, except only if you haven't seen all Unown letters.
RNG call > if X encounter new Unown shape / if not X proceed as normal.

On amab's map the result was not X, but the letters changed because the RNG call happens between IVs/PID and Unown shape determination.
I must admit I can't say I entirely understand what you meant there, Dark Ray.

However, I tried activating one puzzle (Kabuto), then catching all the Unowns I had already caught earlier (I'm just plucking them from Pokegen, not to waste balls; therefor, every catch was a fresh catch). From the Kabuto puzzle, I was missing B, E, G and I. I got the same ol' F from the regular try, but when I did the Mysterious Transmission, I found a G! And after catching that one and hitting my seed again, I found an I instead! So, I might actually be able to finish up all the Unowns this way.

Both catches were done with different Seeds, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter.

Edit: did it the third time and got B now! :D
Edit2: and finally, I got E too. Great, this works lol!
Edit3: I sadly cannot get the ! even after having caught all other 27. Makes me sad. I will have to RNG a whole new file and unlock all of them just to complete the set. X( (and pray it even triggers the darn thing too. Well, I know that a certain HP Ice spread triggers it so I could go for that I guess...)

Last edited:

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Does anyone here know how to code a program? I wrote a whole load of formulas on an Excel spreadsheet that let you convert any starting seed -> DD/MM/YYYY, HH:MM for Ruby / Sapphire live battery abuse, which would make 3rd Gen Hoenn wild / stationary captures (non-Emerald exclusive ones) ridiculously easy, because all you have to do is load up the file at the given time and wait less than 100,000 frames (only a few minutes lol). The problem is it is ugly and you have to do a few things manually, because I have no idea how to code anything at all :\

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Does anyone here know how to code a program? I wrote a whole load of formulas on an Excel spreadsheet that let you convert any starting seed -> DD/MM/YYYY, HH:MM for Ruby / Sapphire live battery abuse, which would make 3rd Gen Hoenn wild / stationary captures (non-Emerald exclusive ones) ridiculously easy, because all you have to do is load up the file at the given time and wait less than 100,000 frames (only a few minutes lol). The problem is it is ugly and you have to do a few things manually, because I have no idea how to code anything at all :\
I can kinda "code" (how's that for a reassuring intro), but I'd still be interested in taking a look. PM me if you like :)

edit: but in all seriousness I very well may be able to help out

Last edited:
It has been a long time since I've RNG'ed an I'm looking to start back off in Gen IV, but I can't make Pandora's Box to save my life. Even when I try to put dummy information in, it gets rejected. My question is anyone else experiencing this problem? Also, is there a better way to RNG that doesn't require ID/SID manipulation for wild pokemon? If I can't get Pandora's Box to work, are there values someone can get for me to use? Thanks!

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
It has been a long time since I've RNG'ed an I'm looking to start back off in Gen IV, but I can't make Pandora's Box to save my life. Even when I try to put dummy information in, it gets rejected. My question is anyone else experiencing this problem? Also, is there a better way to RNG that doesn't require ID/SID manipulation for wild pokemon? If I can't get Pandora's Box to work, are there values someone can get for me to use? Thanks!
Yea Pandora's Box doesn't work for me either, and hasn't for a while.

RNGing ID / SID only matters for shiny Pokemon, but I assume that is what you are trying to do xD

Anyway! If you actually do want values you can use : PPRNG (I use this because I am on a Mac, not sure if there is a PC version). Otherwise, you can PM me the PID you want, and I will give you a seed + everything else you need. However I do suggest that you try to get PPRNG working because you will really need to be able to search for the values you actually hit, which would require me either to search it for you every time you restarted a file, or to send you a hell of a lot of screenshots of all the combinations at and around the value you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 30)