Unpopular opinions

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'd prefer them to introduce fewer Pokemon too.
Back in the interview, Ken Sugimori said " it is impossible to remember every one of them. "
He had a point.
If we keep adding more than 100 each time, it will be too much sooner than if they introduce like 50-70.
I think 50-70 is a nice number.
I have no problem with them adding as many as they like. Look at other stuff, YoGiOh probably has over 1500 unique monsters and people can remember most of those easily with a prompt. I can remember most "big" things about every Pokemon with a prompt (like Name/Type/Highest Stat/Weaker defence/a few moves). Hell, throw more at me. I don't mind as long as I get to keep playing with new things.

New Unpopular Opinion: I don't think GF should be afraid to replace a Mega Evolution if its just not working out as they hoped. If they can't salvage what they did with it at all I think they should be able to go "we're retiring this Mega Evolution" and replacing it with one that's (hopefully) better (be it by gameplay or design). Sounds harsh to say, but I think for certain Pokemon with a lackluster Mega Evo they'd probably like to know they have another chance.

Also I don't think a Mego Evo should be restricted to just a +100 Stat boost. If a Pokemon's stat demands it, I think they can add another +50 or even another +100 if their Mega stats really could use that boost to make their Mega work.
An interesting take on things. I'd like to see something done with Banette for example, because it's movepool is ass. Hell, even if they gave stuff which can mega now a couple of new moves it would make a much bigger impact. It's like they reviewed some of them (Like Heracross), but didn't do anything for others... Either way you could still have the whole "X Stone or Y Stone"... Except I guess in this instance that one would be better than the other as opposed to them being more "even" or having different roles...

I have no problem with them adding as many as they like. Look at other stuff, YoGiOh probably has over 1500 unique monsters and people can remember most of those easily with a prompt.
There are nearly 8,000 cards in the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game, about half of which are Monsters. Trust me, as someone who has been playing this game since 2003, it is near impossible to remember all of those. There are many cards that are part of archtypes that I used heavily that I didn't know existed.
Also, it's a little different to compare Pokémon to a TCG. Pokémon is a single universe. Many Yu-Gi-Oh! cards (as well as those in other games, such as Magic the Gathering) actually live in many different universes all connected (similar to concepts found in D&D).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I have no problem with them adding as many as they like. Look at other stuff, YoGiOh probably has over 1500 unique monsters and people can remember most of those easily with a prompt. I can remember most "big" things about every Pokemon with a prompt (like Name/Type/Highest Stat/Weaker defence/a few moves). Hell, throw more at me. I don't mind as long as I get to keep playing with new things.

An interesting take on things. I'd like to see something done with Banette for example, because it's movepool is ass. Hell, even if they gave stuff which can mega now a couple of new moves it would make a much bigger impact. It's like they reviewed some of them (Like Heracross), but didn't do anything for others... Either way you could still have the whole "X Stone or Y Stone"... Except I guess in this instance that one would be better than the other as opposed to them being more "even" or having different roles...
Continuing what Vader_the_White said, there's one major difference between a TCG game and a monster collecting game with connectability with previous games: maintenance of the monsters. Once a TCG makes a card they're essentially done with that card. Sure they may reprint or remake a popular card but aside from that they don't need to even remember they made the card and it'll still work within the TCG as long as the rules don't change so much like adding a requirement only the new cards will have on them. However for Pokemon, every gen GF has to go over every Pokemon. They need to make a new sprite (or now update a 3D model), see if they could update its movepool and Abilities (and types and stats), if they decide to include it in the regional dex where will it appear (both as wild and trainer battles), and now we have Mega Evolutions. Some may get less attention than others, but none can be forgotten.
However I do agree I can generally remember every Pokemon, there's not one I go "I forgot this was a Pokemon" but will sometimes say "oh hey, haven't seen this Pokemon in a while". I don't know if I can say for sure what its stats/Ability/moves are but I do think I know at least its type and evolution family.

And what is a Mega Evolution but just a super power-up? Evolution is more like a Pokemon growing up, it's a natural part of the Pokemon's biology. But a Mega Evolution is like a super version of that Pokemon, not an evolution but traits of that Pokemon taken to the max. However, as Charizard and Mewtwo shows, there are sometime multiple ways you can take a Mega Evolution by focusing on different traits. Also for most Pokemon the only way to access a Mega Evolution is via their Mega Stone, remove that specific stone and it can no longer Mega Evolve to that Mega Evolution. Of course this is an extreme option, really only should be done if they more feel the design just doesn't work rather then the stats/Type/Ability which can easily be adjusted. And as you said some Pokemon can have multiple Mega Evolutions (though they probably should set a limit which is right now at 2).

I think pokemon x and y were a good step forward in terms of number of pokemon because only 30 or so new pokemon were created and most of them were based off interesting ideas we needed e.g. A possessed sword or a panda!

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I think pokemon x and y were a good step forward in terms of number of pokemon because only 30 or so new pokemon were created and most of them were based off interesting ideas we needed e.g. A possessed sword or a panda!
There were more like 70 new Pokemon introduced in Generation 6, and we already had a panda in the form of Spinda!

Personally, I actually disagree with what others said in the thread here. I definitely think that Game Freak should keep making larger quantities of Pokemon in the games because at the end of the day that's the primary appeal of them. A good story will be great for fans, but not for marketability. Better graphics would also work, but we've just had a major update to that this gen and I doubt they can improve on it for Generation 7.

Pokemon is a franchise now, and less new Pokemon being introduced each generation impacts the anime and merchandise negatively too.

There were more like 70 new Pokemon introduced in Generation 6, and we already had a panda in the form of Spinda!

Personally, I actually disagree with what others said in the thread here. I definitely think that Game Freak should keep making larger quantities of Pokemon in the games because at the end of the day that's the primary appeal of them. A good story will be great for fans, but not for marketability. Better graphics would also work, but we've just had a major update to that this gen and I doubt they can improve on it for Generation 7.

Pokemon is a franchise now, and less new Pokemon being introduced each generation impacts the anime and merchandise negatively too.
Spinda didn't really reach the full potential that a panda pokemon could become. Indeed it is true that it affects the anime but the thing is is that they keep repeating the same pokemon, often the remakes worse than the originals, I am sitting on the fence for this one as I see both arguments as valid.

Not necessarily. Maybe they can now focus more on story than filler episodes trying to cover 100 odd new Pokémon.

Not necessarily. Maybe they can now focus more on story than filler episodes trying to cover 100 odd new Pokémon.
I think they should just scrap the pikachu idea. Yes pikachu is cute and all, but it needs to evolve, at least...but really Ash's main pokemon should be a starter...actually, that baring in mind, Ash himself is flawed. Yes he is good when he is about helping pokemon but seriously he needed to face and beat a champion. They probably should create a new character that is similar to him...

I'm actually kind of glad Game Freak stopped trying with a story in XY because they are so very clearly not good at telling a story
I liked the Kanto, Jhoto, Hoenn (in Emerald) and Sinnoh region stories. I liked the twist in pokemon black and white with N and Ghetsis pulling the strings. I also like the Johto games and the Unova region games which tell the story several years later, when a number of things have changed, I like that idea.

...they don't need to even remember they made the card...
I think I can vouch that that happens at Konami. I'm still horrified at how an old card from the early days comboed with a series of newer monsters in such a way that that deck was absurdly fast. If you played Yu-Gi-Oh! in the summer of 2013, you know what I mean.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Technically Spinda is a Red Panda, the Pancham family is a Giant Panda.

Ah, but wouldn't it be easier to market if there was less Pokemon? Think about it, if they introduce over 100 Pokemon they can't put much focus on all of them, there's of course going to be the standouts but everyone else would be sharing a spotlight so they all get very little attention. However have less than 100 and suddenly those non-standouts are getting more attention they would have normally. A large number of things to advertise sounds like a good idea at first but in practice you're only going to be pushing the standouts the most since those are what the mass majority wants. Thus having a smaller batch of extra helps in deciding which extra gets to be filler thus giving me spotlight onto them thus making them more likable since they'll be much more recognized.

Look, as long as GF can make each Pokemon interesting I'll be fine with any number given to me as long as its a nice amount. However I do think they should focus on making those Pokemon standout instead of making a Pokemon to fit a certain role. Not to say they don't try to do that, but I do think that stigma of them filling a certain role does effect their design somewhat.

And just now Pokemon is a franchise? I thought it became a franchise when it became a pop culture phenomenon when first introduced or at least when Gen II was released. ;P

The anime did a pretty bad job covering the Gen VI Pokemon. They had less Pokemon to work with yet instead of slowly going through them they would introduce an entire evolution family in one episode.

I think they should just scrap the pikachu idea. Yes pikachu is cute and all, but it needs to evolve, at least...but really Ash's main pokemon should be a starter...actually, that baring in mind, Ash himself is flawed. Yes he is good when he is about helping pokemon but seriously he needed to face and beat a champion. They probably should create a new character that is similar to him...
They should have done what the manga did and introduce a new character every new gen, but kind of too late to do that now. Pikachu is the mascot of the series, it's not going to evolve especially when its able to beat its evolution (seriously, Raichu needs a Mega Evolution or two). Also Ash & co. get all the starters which become active cast members so there's no problem there.

The main problem with Ash is that they keep on resetting him. Ash was at his best during the Sinnoh Saga where he evolved most of his Pokemon all the way and during the League used his reserves. The only reason he was knocked out was because he went up against a guy who used Legendaries, one which Ash knocked out with Sceptile and another tied with Pikachu (and no one else was able to claim doing the same, not even the person Tobias challenged next after Ash). Then we come to Unova and a reset button was pressed. Unova right now has the worst League, especially when it came to how Ash was knocked out. Kalos is shaping up to be better, though the writing hasn't gotten any better. But back on track, as for Ash beating a Champion, honestly I kind of like how the anime took a more realistic approach that, no, the Champion is the Champion for a reason. Ash is just a kid, and sure he may have beaten 8 Gym Leaders but sure did everyone else at the League. And the rare few times Ash or another trainer battles an Elite Four or Champion they get their Pokemon's butts served back to them (watch Paul vs Cynthia if you want to see a trainer as strong as Ash try to take down a Champion's Pokemon with all their Pokemon). If anything I think Ash should take that Frontier Brain position, those battles are much more suited to his type of battling plus the Gen III Battle Frontier is located in his home region.

I'm actually kind of glad Game Freak stopped trying with a story in XY because they are so very clearly not good at telling a story
Because I'm sure when you wrote your first story it was a masterpiece. Yes, BW's story may have had some misses but if they don't keep trying they're not going to get better. For a first attempt as a story woven into the main game I think BW did a good job even though they shoved aside the thoughtful question is it right to make Pokemon work for us to instead focus on Ghetsis behind everything. However that's because they felt they needed to stick to the traditional story conventions the games had so far (having a main big bad to battle at the end) rather then fault of the story itself. And though they didn't put much thought into the story I feel like Lysandre is an interesting character concept, I liked the Looker Missions and the characters within them, and going to ORAS I love what they did with Sea Mauville. They need to work on making a balance of telling a complete story that answers the questions they bring up and having the gameplay elements we have active participation in. Or at the very least write the story so such questions aren't answered (or create a more focused villain team which doesn't make you ask questions about them. Or how about just not having a villain team and instead using another plot device like there's chaos arising in the region and your character is asked/decides to investigate (while also going on their journey) and end up having to restore order by doing something (probably involving getting a mcguffin and putting it somewhere, with battles here and there because Pokemon)).

I think I can vouch that that happens at Konami. I'm still horrified at how an old card from the early days comboed with a series of newer monsters in such a way that that deck was absurdly fast. If you played Yu-Gi-Oh! in the summer of 2013, you know what I mean.
Oh wow, I completely forgot Konami owned Yu-Gi-Oh!... welp, hope Yu-Gi-Oh! fans like pachinko machines.

Wait, if Konami owns Yu-Gi-Oh! how come we never seen any Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill themed cards? And don't say they wouldn't crossover their franchises like that, of all things the have a Gradius line of cards.

Because I'm sure when you wrote your first story it was a masterpiece. Yes, BW's story may have had some misses but if they don't keep trying they're not going to get better. For a first attempt as a story woven into the main game I think BW did a good job even though they shoved aside the thoughtful question is it right to make Pokemon work for us to instead focus on Ghetsis behind everything. However that's because they felt they needed to stick to the traditional story conventions the games had so far (having a main big bad to battle at the end) rather then fault of the story itself. And though they didn't put much thought into the story I feel like Lysandre is an interesting character concept, I liked the Looker Missions and the characters within them, and going to ORAS I love what they did with Sea Mauville. They need to work on making a balance of telling a complete story that answers the questions they bring up and having the gameplay elements we have active participation in. Or at the very least write the story so such questions aren't answered (or create a more focused villain team which doesn't make you ask questions about them. Or how about just not having a villain team and instead using another plot device like there's chaos arising in the region and your character is asked/decides to investigate (while also going on their journey) and end up having to restore order by doing something (probably involving getting a mcguffin and putting it somewhere, with battles here and there because Pokemon)).
... but... it's not their first story? It's not even close. I mean come on, you can't seriously use that as an excuse as if it's some 8-year-old newbie just coming in and trying their best. These are adults in the business of making an enjoyable video game and have been in that position for 14 years at the time of BW's release; not to mention any other games and stories they might have worked on beforehand. I'm not going to give them a free pass because "oh they tried really hard".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
... but... it's not their first story? It's not even close. I mean come on, you can't seriously use that as an excuse as if it's some 8-year-old newbie just coming in and trying their best. These are adults in the business of making an enjoyable video game and have been in that position for 14 years at the time of BW's release; not to mention any other games and stories they might have worked on beforehand. I'm not going to give them a free pass because "oh they tried really hard".
Well it's their first story with the Pokemon games that goes beyond you being a starting trainer who stumbles onto a group of villains you end up stopping by coincidence. From where I stand, despite some missteps, the story of BW is fine. Not great, but I got invested and wanted to see where the story went to the end. And you don't need to give them a free pass, complain as much as you like about where you think went wrong with the story, but saying you're glad they gave up on storytelling is just as bad as giving them a free pass as it gives them the same message: You don't need to try.

Technically a red panda is not a panda. It is more closely related to raccoons and weasels.
I know, that doesn't change that Spinda being a Red Panda and the Pancham family are based on Giant Panda. If you want to get REALLY technical, Spinda's coloration matches the Qinling Panda but the different markings are based on the Red Panda's unique facial markings.

Reactions: JES
I know, that doesn't change that Spinda being a Red Panda and the Pancham family are based on Giant Panda. If you want to get REALLY technical, Spinda's coloration matches the Qinling Panda but the different markings are based on the Red Panda's unique facial markings.
Nah just meant that if Spinda is a technically a red panda then Pancham would be the first "panda" pokemon. :p

Guess the joke didn't turn out well.

Let's not forget that Pangoro also bears resemblance to an iconic character in Manga culture, hence the affectionate nickname Jotaro Kuma(Bear).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Let's not forget that Pangoro also bears resemblance to an iconic character in Manga culture, hence the affectionate nickname Jotaro Kuma(Bear).
Well it's not just a manga stereotype. Pangoro's rough attitude, jacket-like coat, and piece of bamboo sticking out of its mouth is based on the bancho subculture, juvenile delinquents. It's not something we really have an equal to here in the west, so we only seen in portrayed in manga and anime

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
one thing that worries me about more and more mons is all my favorite ftp pokemon spinoffs will just have more and more pay barriers

like grinding for diamonds in rumble is already hard enough without them adding like 10 more balloons for the next game

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Regice is one of my absolute favorite Pokémon. I just think its design is so, pun intended, cool. The ice crystal appearance just makes it the best looking Ice-type.
While not my favorite I do like the idea behind the Golem Trio. Pokemon made from the earth based on the 3 major ages (Stone Age, Ice Age, & Bronze Age) to act as keys to the Pokemon representing Pangaea and the movement of continents. There's just so kind of other worldly/lost age mysticism to them that stands them out compared to the other Trios who all are more organic.

As for best looking Ice-type, well if you mean that anyone who looks at it will know its Ice-type that goes without saying. Oddly not a lot of Ice-types have ice somewhere on their body, at least compared to Fire- or Grass-types which usually have a flame or plant growing somewhere on them, respectively. For Ice-type Pokemon made of Ice I'd actually give my vote to Cryogonal since it look like its made of ice but at the same time is stylized so just isn't a giant block of ice like Regice or the Bergmite family.

I actually like how Mewtwo was female in the Genesect movie. It just... fit for some reason. And I thought it was alright. Like the original Mewtwo, but different.
I'm just annoyed they acted like the original Mewtwo didn't exist, though then again I suppose having two Mewtwo means they can have both Mega Mewtwo now without having one with just both Formes and switching between the two.

I actually like how Mewtwo was female in the Genesect movie. It just... fit for some reason. And I thought it was alright. Like the original Mewtwo, but different.
I wasn't against a female mewtwo in and of itself, I mean, divorcing all the story recons and uniqueness decay they threw in to make it happen, but then they had to sneak in all the Japanese gender stereotypes too. Like she's more pure and world loving and easily forgiving and traditionally heroic instead of "broody anit-hero sliding into full blown villain."

Edit: Motherly, that's the word I was trying to think of.

Plus the movie had issues besides the Mewtwo controversy. Like, you could remove Ash and company and lose nothing from the plot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)