ORAS OU Bug's Bunny: Mega-Pinsir+Diggersby Balance

What Pokemon/Mega Should I build around next?

• Total voters
What is up guys, ErcaPerca here! I wanted to build a team around Diggersby, and this was easier than I anticipated. This team is very solid - I have only lost one game with it out of a total of seven and I'm currently hovering around the 1575's on PS.
As I mentioned I wanted to build around Diggersby. I found out that an offensive core between Mega Pinsir and Magnezone works very well, as Magnezone can clean up anything Diggersby and Mega-Pinsir can't, and what Diggersby leaves behind, Mega Pinsir cleans up. It really works smoothly. Next, I figured I needed a hazard controller, because if you have Mega-Pinsir, you simply do not want rocks. I chose Latias, because the Lati@s are clearly the best Defoggers in OU, and Healing Wish allows Diggersby or Pinsir another opportunity to clean up. Which is ridiculous at times. Next I saw i was fairly weak to things such as Banded TFlame, Earthquakeless Charizard-X, and Fairies so i chose a SpD Heatran. This allowed for me to 1v1 Clefable, and fire off toxics at potential threats. Finally, I chose Keldeo because it checks threats to my team such as Bisharp, Weavile, and Non-Scarf Kyurem-B. This is very brief, but let's get into it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Diggersby is a humongous underrated offensive threat within the OU tier, and I cannot begin to explain the amount of wrath this thing can unleash on unprepared teams! Being paired with Life Orb, this pokemon can truly overwhelm other Balanced teams, and even Stall! This thing doesn't need a +2 boost to 2HKO things such as Unaware Clefable or Quagsire, it simply does not care. If you don't believe me:
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 224-265 (56.9 - 67.4%)
252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 204-242 (51.7 - 61.4%)

Let the numbers explain this thing for itself.. It is an incredible threat. With the wonderful offensive trio of Diggersby, Mega-Pinsir, and Magnezone, there is no pokemon that is safe. Diggersby is usually the first one to go down out of these three - it is usually the pokemon I play most recklessly with and can tear holes through opposing teams.
Some more impressive calculations:
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 266-316 (88.9 - 105.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 320-378 (87.9 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Read and weep.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat
So, if you just had a miraculous revelation at Diggersby's power, just wait. Granted, Mega-Pinsir is finally starting to get the respect it deserves, and I have been seeing it often within the last few days. As CBB always says, "Nobody prepares for Mega-Pinsir!" and more times than not, he is right. Partnering perfectly with Diggersby, Mega-Pinsir is a great late-game sweeper than cleans up any mess Diggersby may have left behind. Obviously be weary of stealth rocks, and never be over ambitious and bring this in too quickly! It's a late game sweeper for a reason! I have Return>Frustration because I had frustration on Diggersby, so an opposing Ditto cannot counter them both. Hyper Cutter is by far Pinsir's best ability, allowing for no incoming Landorus-T's intimidates to affect it.
Some calcs:
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 385-454 (100.7 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO - IS THAT NOT IMPRESSIVE?!?!
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 339-399 (86 - 101.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I'm done here.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
The final part of my offensive trio, Magnezone traps any opposing Defensive Steel types that can be annoying to the other two. (SKARMORY) I decided to run Scarf > Specs because I felt the Spe would be nice, and I felt no need for the additional damage Specs would render. I dont think there is much to say past this - everyone knows what this pokemon does. It is a tremendous companion with the other two above.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
I have Latias on the team for obvious reasons - Defog and Healing Wish support. Before ya'll go complaining saying it has no recovery, one uses Latias for Healing Wish.. Not recovery(usually). I have the obvious two STAB moves, Psyshock and Draco Meteor to dish out some damage, and healing wish to give either my Mega-Pinsir, or Diggersby another chance to clean up. Defog to get rid of opposing hazards which can otherwise be annoying to Pinsir.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
Next, I have a SpD Heatran to wall opposing fairy types, and I figured it was my best fit on the team. Its a pretty common set - Taunt is there to ensure that i beat Unaware Clefable 1v1, and Toxic is there to stall out opposing earthquakeless Zard-X, among other threats. Heatran is a very reliable stealth rocker, and my final move is Lava Plume because of the wonder 99% chance at catching a burn.​

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
My last pokemon I chose was Keldeo. I felt Keldeo was nice for some extra fire power on the offensive side, and it allowed for me to check opposing Weaviles and Bisharps which otherwise seems to be major threats to my team! I have your typical specs set, as I did not want to run Scarf because Magnezone was already scarfed, and i am not scum.

Moving Forward

I realize my team is by no means perfect so this is where I need all you guys' help! I appreciate all feedback, though try to keep within the boundaries of the team.. I don't want to change three mons because i'm too weak to Scarf Excadrill. Thanks for reading my RMT! if you made it this far - I salute you.
I PROMISE this team is very fun to use!
Threatlist
< As I said Scarf Excadrill really enjoys going against this team. If i see a scarf driller, i usually end up tossing my Keldeo's HP at it, and more or less trade Keldeo for it.
< Flat-out killer.. but what team isn't weak to this thing anyway.
< Not as common, but if you see this, you have to keep Keldeo around, there's no other way around it
< You better pray it doesn't carry HP Ground
< If it is DD, Roost, no Problem. If it is three attacks, you have to use your priority wisely to take this thing out.. If you see Zard, try to get up rocks ASAP.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 32 SpD / 88 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 HP / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Last edited:

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What I think About Your Team First Glance

This team gets 6'0 my Excadrill and Charizard x. That most be fixed big time. It has no switch ins into Azu and very few one shooting it. Has hard hitters making this team not bad and can pressure many poorly built teams. It's good to see a Pinsir build sense it is such a threatening mon.

How You Can Improve Your Team

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Earth Power

You can probably change around the evs to take brave birds better.
I feel you need air balloon so you at least have a check to scarf drill/more scary sand rush drill.
This makes you fast as well and setting up rocks easily and having ep to prevent opposing trans.
This also gives you a late check to Charizard X.
Taunt is to stop lets say a Chansey coming in and getting burned from healing and to stop Clefable from being Clefable lol.

Yung Dash (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I feel you need scarf on this keldeo to prevent not only a Gyara sweep but to also prevent mega lopunny from completely bashing you.
This also allows you to outspeed threats you mentioned such as Weaville and Volcarona (after a quiver)

Conclusion

This team isn't bad. It isn't great either it needs a little more work. Nice core though definitely should keep on point with it!
I wish you massive success buddy and hope you take my changes into consideration.

This team looks like a reasonably solid example of MPinsir offense, MPinsir along with MDiancie and MVoir all love having Magnezone tagging along to make their job easier, but the thing is this squad kind of loses to rain and sand offense; So I'd suggest changing Specs Keldeo to Scarf Keldeo(which also makes it easier for you to go up against MLopunny and MGyara), it also helps you in general vs stuff like Weavile, which kind of had a field day with this team before;

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric

next I suggest running Rocky Helmet Landorus-Therian instead of Heatran, which both gives you an easy and reliable way to get SR down and gives you a way to not get cleaned by sand offense and also gives you a generic check to stuff like ZardX and the such; It's just a generically good check to physical mons

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Earthquake

The only thing that your squad still kind of has trouble with is Azumarril but I can't immediately think of anything that could fix that without opening a hole for you somewhere else.

Changes:-
Scarf
>Specs

Rocky Helm
>Sp.def

This team looks like a reasonably solid example of MPinsir offense, MPinsir along with MDiancie and MVoir all love having Magnezone tagging along to make their job easier, but the thing is this squad kind of loses to rain and sand offense; So I'd suggest changing Specs Keldeo to Scarf Keldeo(which also makes it easier for you to go up against MLopunny and MGyara), it also helps you in general vs stuff like Weavile, which kind of had a field day with this team before;

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric

next I suggest running Rocky Helmet Landorus-Therian instead of Heatran, which both gives you an easy and reliable way to get SR down and gives you a way to not get cleaned by sand offense and also gives you a generic check to stuff like ZardX and the such; It's just a generically good check to physical mons

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Earthquake

The only thing that your squad still kind of has trouble with is Azumarril but I can't immediately think of anything that could fix that without opening a hole for you somewhere else.

Changes:-
Scarf
>Specs

Rocky Helm
>Sp.def
I like your suggestions in both the Landorus-T and keldeo.. I think i'm going to test and switch the magnezone to specs and Keldeo to scarf..
My only fear about Landorus is that although it does allow me to check excadrill, and is a softer check to something like Zard-X, it opens up a door for the Lati@'s and my draco switch-in becomes Magnezone.. thats my only fear, but we will see! Thanks for your suggestion!

What I think About Your Team First Glance

This team gets 6'0 my Excadrill and Charizard x. That most be fixed big time. It has no switch ins into Azu and very few one shooting it. Has hard hitters making this team not bad and can pressure many poorly built teams. It's good to see a Pinsir build sense it is such a threatening mon.

How You Can Improve Your Team

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
EVs: 40 HP / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Earth Power

You can probably change around the evs to take brave birds better.
I feel you need air balloon so you at least have a check to scarf drill/more scary sand rush drill.
This makes you fast as well and setting up rocks easily and having ep to prevent opposing trans.
This also gives you a late check to Charizard X.
Taunt is to stop lets say a Chansey coming in and getting burned from healing and to stop Clefable from being Clefable lol.

Yung Dash (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]

I feel you need scarf on this keldeo to prevent not only a Gyara sweep but to also prevent mega lopunny from completely bashing you.
This also allows you to outspeed threats you mentioned such as Weaville and Volcarona (after a quiver)

Conclusion

This team isn't bad. It isn't great either it needs a little more work. Nice core though definitely should keep on point with it!
I wish you massive success buddy and hope you take my changes into consideration.
You and master sunny both have the same idea of running scarf keldeo which looks like something i will test out - and now im floating around the idea of running Landorus over Heatran but testing will tell! Thanks for your suggestion!

Hey there,
I want to keep this rate short so i'm just going to continue off of what others have said. Immediately when I looked at this team, I noticed a striking similarity to an old XY team consisting of Diggers / Pins / Mag / Latias / Chomp / Azu. I was taking a look at your threatlist, and I found that azu was a solid answer to most of the problems, and the only thing it failed to cover securely in comparison to keldeo was Bisharp or PJab Weavile. I feel that with Assault Vest Azumarill > Keldeo you will have 3 forms of priority to revenge a lot of common attackers. Your weakness to Zard-X is now quite limited, especially since it can only really set-up on switches or magnezone locked into an attack not named volt switch. You can also continue to check dark types as well as have a secondary switchin to dragons such as latis, and aqua jet faster ground and fire types (or just tank a hit and waterfall back). In addition, if you find fairies to be a problem that magnezone does not suffiiently deal with, you can always use Iron Tail in the last slot over Knock Off to hit them extremely hard and often unexpectedly. If you also find that Kyurem-B is much too large of a problem, you can also utilize Wacan Berry, although I think AV will be more consistent on this team. Scarf Keldeo and Specs Magnezone is also a splendid option that you should definitely try out as well.

Now at this point, I still feel that heatran does not complete the rolls you need fulfilled sufficiently, and you are still quite weak to excadrill, inside or outside sand. Like the others, I feel a bulky landorus-therian would work quite well here. Unfortunately this maintains a bisharp weakness, so I would run enough speed to outrun 252 Adamant bisharp, as you can tank a +1 Sucker Punch from it. Alternatively you could use Tank Chomp, which is also a bit more sturdy vs electrics, but this will leave you weaker to Excadrill and Charizard-X.

Finally some small tweaks;

On Pinsir, a Jolly nature is still valuable to outspeed Manaphy, Gardevoir, and Charizard Y (assuming they are timid) and the rare offensive garchomp, which can be big threats if played correctly. If you do, however, choose to run Adamant Pinsir, I would consider Feint > Quick Attack. It has +2 priority so it can outrun Talonflame's Brave Bird, Weavile's Ice Shard, and Dragonite's Extremespeed, and you can also break protect to stop toxic stalling, which is quite valuable, although I find the power loss is sometimes noticeable, especially if Pinsir is jolly.

If you continue to use Scarf Magnezone, I would consider using Scarf Magneton instead. This is because Magneton is faster than Magnezone and can outspeed Jolly Talonflame, which can Flare Blitz zone and kill it with a +2 (it also threatens pinsir quite naturally). It also outspeeds Weavile, which could otherwise knock off a weakened zone and kill it, or even low kick it for an OHKO. Magneton is, however, worse than zone in every other way, so make this decision based on what you feel are bigger concerns for the team.

Regardless of how you choose to take this team forward, it is very nicely done and I wish you the best of luck with it. :D

Hey there,
I want to keep this rate short so i'm just going to continue off of what others have said. Immediately when I looked at this team, I noticed a striking similarity to an old XY team consisting of Diggers / Pins / Mag / Latias / Chomp / Azu. I was taking a look at your threatlist, and I found that azu was a solid answer to most of the problems, and the only thing it failed to cover securely in comparison to keldeo was Bisharp or PJab Weavile. I feel that with Assault Vest Azumarill > Keldeo you will have 3 forms of priority to revenge a lot of common attackers. Your weakness to Zard-X is now quite limited, especially since it can only really set-up on switches or magnezone locked into an attack not named volt switch. You can also continue to check dark types as well as have a secondary switchin to dragons such as latis, and aqua jet faster ground and fire types (or just tank a hit and waterfall back). In addition, if you find fairies to be a problem that magnezone does not suffiiently deal with, you can always use Iron Tail in the last slot over Knock Off to hit them extremely hard and often unexpectedly. If you also find that Kyurem-B is much too large of a problem, you can also utilize Wacan Berry, although I think AV will be more consistent on this team. Scarf Keldeo and Specs Magnezone is also a splendid option that you should definitely try out as well.

Now at this point, I still feel that heatran does not complete the rolls you need fulfilled sufficiently, and you are still quite weak to excadrill, inside or outside sand. Like the others, I feel a bulky landorus-therian would work quite well here. Unfortunately this maintains a bisharp weakness, so I would run enough speed to outrun 252 Adamant bisharp, as you can tank a +1 Sucker Punch from it. Alternatively you could use Tank Chomp, which is also a bit more sturdy vs electrics, but this will leave you weaker to Excadrill and Charizard-X.

Finally some small tweaks;

On Pinsir, a Jolly nature is still valuable to outspeed Manaphy, Gardevoir, and Charizard Y (assuming they are timid) and the rare offensive garchomp, which can be big threats if played correctly. If you do, however, choose to run Adamant Pinsir, I would consider Feint > Quick Attack. It has +2 priority so it can outrun Talonflame's Brave Bird, Weavile's Ice Shard, and Dragonite's Extremespeed, and you can also break protect to stop toxic stalling, which is quite valuable, although I find the power loss is sometimes noticeable, especially if Pinsir is jolly.

If you continue to use Scarf Magnezone, I would consider using Scarf Magneton instead. This is because Magneton is faster than Magnezone and can outspeed Jolly Talonflame, which can Flare Blitz zone and kill it with a +2 (it also threatens pinsir quite naturally). It also outspeeds Weavile, which could otherwise knock off a weakened zone and kill it, or even low kick it for an OHKO. Magneton is, however, worse than zone in every other way, so make this decision based on what you feel are bigger concerns for the team.

Regardless of how you choose to take this team forward, it is very nicely done and I wish you the best of luck with it. :D
This is great coming from someone I look up to! :] Thanks for taking the time to look through my team! An assault vest Azumarill is definitely something I can play around with - I really only threw keldeo on there as I found it was a good weavile and bisharp check, really no other reason.
I will test out a defensive Landorus-T, presumably it will succeed in its role better than Heatran has, so thanks for that.
I really do value Pinsir's speed so I dont simply lose to things like Zard-Y as you mentioned, although it is rare, the 339 Spe is always nice to outspeed base 100 Spe pokemon, and offensive Garchomp!
Lastly, I probably will end up staying with Scarf Magnezone, I feel like although magneton has it's pros, it is a very situational pokemon, and although at times it proves itself to be better, I would rather have a consistent pokemon than a situational one.
Thanks for your rate FlamingVictini, I really do enjoy your content! :]

Last edited:
hi

So this is a pretty solid Mega Pinsir squad you have here. First off I suggest you run Defensive Landorus-T > Heatran. Although it may seem like having another Steel-type to help with Fairies seem quite beneficial, you lose against a lot of offensive threats such as the aforementioned Excadrill, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Charizard X. Defensive Landorus-T gives your team a great defensive backbone that finishes a VolTurn core with Magnezone to get in Diggersby or even Pinsir to better pressure the opposing team. A spread of 240 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD / 8 Spe and an Impish Nature allows it to tank a single Draco Meteor from Latios with no prior damage.

My next change would be to mitigate Keldeo's item to Choice Scarf > Choice Specs. Your team needs a much better speed factor besides relying upon priority from Diggersby and Mega Pinsir to weaken faster threats. You already have pretty astounding power factor when considering your are using Pinsir and Diggersby, and with the downfall of their Speed, your team really appreciates its revenge killing capability. Hidden Power Electric is a nice option in the last slot over Icy Wind if you're having problems with Water-types such as Starmie or Gyarados.

My final change would be to run Adamant > Jolly on Pinsir. A Jolly Nature in today's Metagame is pretty useless considering it doesn't outrun much with max speed. An Adamant nature gives it much more power that guarantees a lot more OHKOes on bulkier threats such as Hippowdon after a Swords Dance.

I hope these change help. Good luck.
Thanks for your rate! I will definitely be checking out defensive Landorus-T, as everyone who has replied has mentioned it ;P On a different note, I think i will be changing Keldeo to AV azumarill, and probably end up keeping Jolly Pinsir. I understand the reasoning for adamant pinsir but I like the Spe, even if it is not always useful every match. Thanks for your rate :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)