The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Same here. Makes it much more of an easy watch and provides a break from everything else on the season/in everyday life.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
After watching Gunbuster, Diebuster, and TTGL Season 1 in quick sucession I am almost a 100% sure that TTGL is part of the same continuity or universe as the Buster franchise.

There are just too many shared motifs to be pure coincidence, or even just self-referencing from the good folks at Gainax.

Despite Gunbuster(1988) factoring into my theory I'll be focusing more on Diebuster (2004) and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (2007), since Diebuster introduced heaps of new elements (such as Topless energy and the Buster Legion) into the Buster canon continuity, while the original Gunbuster's premise and 'science' was relatively simple--a robot built by humans to destroy a massive alien threat. Diebuster expanded on and overhauled Gunbuster's universe.

In Diebuster there are humans called Topless, who are in a sense 'without limit,' their spiritual powers (stemming from a pure and innocent self-confidence found more commonly in children) allowing them to produce limitless amounts of energy which in turn power their giant robots, the Buster Machines. This is almost identical to the Spiral Power of TTGL, where humanity (and any sentient beings capable of evolution) produce a magical Spiral Power that allows them to, you got it, power their giant robots, the Lagann.

In Diebuster and Gunbuster, the 'good-guy' robots have all been built either directly or indirectly, by humans, and have been shown to be extremely durable. Buster Machine #7 lies in hibernation for so long a comet forms around itself, and has lived for at least thousands (if not tens of thousands, as speculated by one character) of years, and Buster Machine Dix-Neuf, the oldest Buster Machine still in service, has been around for at least 500. The Spiral King Genome built and then maintained his own personal Gurren Lagann (the Lazengann) over the course of his entire reign, during which he forced all of humanity underground and established a completely new social hierarchy based around Beastmen. While Gurren was a Beastmen mech and supposedly relatively new Lagann was found buried underground in a state of dormancy similar to Buster #7's. One significant aspect of this longevity is that the robots are able to live long past the confines of human memory. Buster Machine 7 was completely forgotten by humanity (the single digit Busters being the stuff of legend by the time the story takes place), and throughout TTGL enemies and allies alike remark on the curiousity of a tiny cranial robot existing.

In Diebuster the emerging Topless factions of humanity cause the ancient defense systems of ages past, designed to defend against space monsters with similar abilities, to go haywire and turn on humanity. In TTGL a distant collective of beings, the Anti-Spiral, discovered that Spiral power's very limitlessness threatened the fundamental structure of the universe, and thus vowed to destroy all beings who possessed it in order to prevent a catastrophic buildup of Spiral, the so-called Spiral Nemesis.

In TTGL humanity grew dependent on Spiral energy, drawing the Anti-Spiral to them. In all-out war the Anti-Spiral prevailed, utterly annihilating humanity, but the human Lordgenome saw the futility of battle and betrayed his allies, forcing humanity underground to hide their Spiral signature and populating Earth with artificially produced Spiral-devoid Beastmen. One VERY IMPORTANT thing to consider when looking at this event is that EVEN BEFORE Lordgenome's betrayal of humanity, quasi-humanoid robots designed to defend against alien threats already existed (as shown in several OVAs released by Gainax), these robots supposedly being powered by Spiral energy. This means that Spiral-powered robots were one of humanity's prevalent defense mechanisms before humanity's collapse at the hands of LG and the Anti-Spiral. Keep that in mind.

In Diebuster, Gunbuster, and TTGL, a fundamental feature of the series' robots is their ability to combine, almost always in pairs. In Gunbuster there were Buster Machines 1 & 2, which combined to form the titular Gunbuster, and in Gurren Lagann the lanky Gurren and the cranial Lagann mesh to create the titular Gurren Lagann. Also, in both Diebuster and TTGL, the final-final form of the hero robots is an amalgam of millions of individuals combined to form a massive human-like figure dwarfing galaxies (in the shape of Nono is Diebuster and the shape of Kamina in TTGL).

So here are the biggest parallels between Gunbuster, Diebuster, and TTGL: powerful combining robots built by humanity in order to combat alien menaces, capable of withstanding the test of time and powered by humanity's innate will to attain greater and greater heights. It's my belief that these machines are one and the same, all part of a chain of evolution and improvement throughout human history. Of course, in order to accept this theory two leaps in logic have to be made:

-1) that Spiral and Topless energy are one and the same. Pretty simple assumption to make. They both center around humanity (and in TTGL's case, evolution-capables)'s will to survive and grow stronger, both revolve around the idea of being without limitations (these limitations often being referenced as literally being vertical --> see 'Topless''s very name and TTGL's famous quote "This is the drill that will pierce the heavens!"). One could argue that this makes no sense because TTGL asserts that Spiral energy has existed in humanity since its conception, while Diebuster's Topless only emerged long after the conclusion of Gunbuster. However, you could easily say that the connection was only made as advances in science and understanding of Spiral energy became more profound. That is to say, Spiral/Topless (S/T) energy may not manifest externally until a certain threeshold of 'ultimate evolution' is reached (supported by the fact that the human beings in TTGL never transform into some otherworldly creatures, while the mole-pet does evolve... into a humanoid!) upon which S/T energy can be used and manifested in producing energy and mass (e.g. TTGL's titular Giga Drill, which literally is pulled out of nowhere. Part of the Anti-Spiral's fear of Spiral is that it allows wielders to break the fundamental laws of physics, tearing at the universe's foundations. Topless can achieve feats such as instantaneous warping, teleportation and throwing of planets, et cetera). Thus we can say that the progression of events is thus -

A) In gunbuster, humanity is, while APPROACHING the evolutionary threshold, not yet there.

B) By the point of Diebuster's story, humanity has BEGUN to break that threshold, resulting in small portions of humanity gaining Topless powers, but losing them as they age.

C) By the time of the Anti-Spiral War we can assume that a majority of humanity has broken this barrier. Humanity's capability for external S/T manifestation had become more advanced, with the robots involved in the final crusade angainst the Anti-Spiral are piloted by adult-voiced humans, and various adults (e.g. Kamina, and like half the misc. pilots involved in the final assault on Granzeboma) pilot Lagann as well, and it is noted several times that ALL humans are capable of producing Spiral.

Following up on the idea that S/T science is further along in TTGL than in DB, we can say that in DB's time Topless energy was not as well understood, while in TTGL we can see that it influences evolution. Thus one could say that the reason S/T energy does not manifest prior is due to said S/T being used up in the evolutionary process. This would not have been grasped until TTGL, with DB's universe treating Toplessness as an abnormal condition.

-2) humanity's expansion across the galaxy? By the end of Diebuster, the alien menace has been supposedly defeated, and settlements on Mars and Pluto already exist. So then, why is humanity back on Earth? This one's pretty simple--no matter how many advancements man made between Diebuster and TTGL, they were all erased in the blink of an eye by the relentless advance of the Anti-Spiral armies. After his coup, Lordgenome probably also took extra measures to ensure all of humanity was encapsulated within Earth to prevent any leakage of Spiral signature. Thus, the regression of humanity back into being Earthbound.

With these handled, now I can get onto the major connections (not the obvious superficial ones).

One: GUNS -> DRILLS. The original Gunbuster robot was all about guns. Its signature attacks involved splitting its limbs into tens of hundreds of energy cannons, embedding them into its enemy, and firing point-blank to achieve maximum destructive power. This technique we also see in Diebuster, with Buster #7 using it on the STAGE 3 Fluctuating Gravity Well monster in Episode 6... but with little to no effect.

^Here we can see that the evolution of the original alien menace from Gunbuster 1 has brought it to a point where the original techniques of gunbuster just won't cut it anymore. Even with the boundless Topless energy backing it up. But perhaps there's a more optimal usage of S/T ENERGY????

EXACTLY. It's FUCKING DRILLS. The ultimate combined form of Buster 7 and the Buster legion is adorned with two drill-shaped shoulder pauldrons, and the final, ultimate technique used to finish off the S3 FGW, the INAZUMA DOUBLE KICKU, forms a spiralling, drill-shape when piercing the enemy's hull.

Thus we can assume that the ultimate form of Topless energy is Spiral energy (perhaps indicative of some sort of spiral wave nature of the energy itself), and that the optimal form of usage of said energy is in literally a spiralling motion, best materialised in drills. Thus the next generation of S/T robots uses drills instead.. Certain iterations of the Gurren Lagann even have the same drill-shaped shoulder pauldrons as BN7!

Even the Spiral Nemesis, the deadly catastrophe brought about by overuse of Spiral predicted by the Anti-Spiral, has a presence in DB. The splitting of the Fluctuating Gravity Well, and in turn its host black hole, creates what one character calls a "naked singularity," something which "should not be possible in this universe." The power of Spiral is so great that it does what cannot, and should not be done, sometimes creating dangerous reality-warping situations. It's not hard to move from this occurrence to perhaps a predictably much more dangerous, impossible to contain event occurring as humanity's capacity for S/T grows.

So here is my new timeline, which integrates all three series into one big continuity:

1- Humanity evolves.

2- the intergalactic menace of the 'space monsters,' later called the 'fluctuating gravity wells,' emerges.

3- To combat the threat, humanity creates an Absolute Defense Line system designed to protect against the aliens.

4- The first test of the Absolute Defense Line. The experimental weapon Gunbuster, piloted by Noriko Takay and Kazuki Amano, repels the invaders.

5- Later on, Gunbuster once again departs, holding the supermassive ship the Black Hole Bomb, to go and destroy the entire home solar system of the aliens.

(here, the timeline splits due to space time dilation).

5a - time passes. The Buster machines continue to be produced. Topless humans begin to emerge, produced by humanity's approach to the 'S/T threshold.' Topless retain powers until a point of 'expiration,' at which they lose everything.

5b - in the far reaches of the solar system Gunbuster (the original Buster Machine) deploys the Black Hole Bomb and obliterates the alien's home system before beginning the long journey home.

6a - Buster Machines (starting at least with or after 2 and with or before 7) begin to be built solely to accommodate Topless, using their limitless energy to surpass new heights. However, we can see that some Busters were built with non-Topless in mind, as shown by Buster 9's secret cockpit, which appears to draw out innate, hidden S/T energy from humans even after expiration. These Buster Machines are sentient, and can communicate with Topless (and apparently non-Topless, but non-Topless cannot understand the robots). The Absolute Defense Line system turns on the Topless humans, whose evolution has progressed to the point where they, like the supposedly fully evolved 'space monsters,' are able to externally manifest S/T energy.

6b - same as 5b.

7a - Buster 7 and Buster 9 destroy the FGW Stage 3, causing a naked singularity due to their combined Spiral energy as well as the spiralling nature of their attack. This may possibly be one of the events that alert the Anti-Spiral, off in their distant corner of the universe, to the dangers of Spiral power.

7b - same as 5b and 6b.

8 - Buster Machines 1 and 2 return to Earth. The alien menace both at home (FGW S3) and abroad (home star system of the space monsters) now destroyed, humanity is free to develop its tech, etc.

8b - The Anti-Spiral purges itself of Spiral, becomes a hive mind and declares war on Spiral life-forms.

9 - humanity has grown further, to the point where Spiral is ubiquitous amongst Humans, regardless of age, et cetera. Robots powered by Spiral, supposedly sentient in a manner similar to the Busters, are still used by humanity to defend against attacks.

10 - The Anti-Spiral detect humanity's Spiral and attack. LordGenome betrays his race and drives humanity underground, hoping to hide the remainder of humanity's Spiral signatures and save them from the Anti-Spiral.

11- the events of TTGL. (One thing I forgot to note is that despite the extreme lengths of interstellar travel endured during the second half of TTGL, space time dilation does not take effect--e.g. the people on Earth can see Granzeboma and TTGL fighting from trillions of lightyears away. Perhaps S/T can also warp light, space and time subconsciously, for reasons unknown)

Sorry if this is all over the place, I've been writing this ofr like an hour lol. If you have any questions or objections, feel free to tell me itt or thru vm/pm/irc/etc, I'd love to talk to u abt it.

Cheers!

Edit: shoutout to Gangnam Style for introducing me to Gun and Die busters! :)))

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
erased is very cool and I'm excited. I wanna know more. also the mc is confusing and I wanna see how he continues to act

dagashi kashi seems so odd and unique that I wanna watch it regardless of quality

grimgar, while enjoyable via its lighthearted air and appealing visuals, is slow so far and seems a bit too much like a strictly formatted mmorpg for my taste but I plan on continuing to see where things go

but really am I the only one who can't get a feel for the main character in erased? he seems like an a disconnected/indifferent intelligent guy, but feels obligated to "do the right thing" and fix problems or whatever. he seems to really care for kayo and enjoys his friends but then there's this talk about him 'faking' his friendliness toward them?

Asek

Banned deucer.
Ill definitely check out jojo manga!
Just as a heads up a lot of the JoJo's parts have terrible scanlation quality, I think the only part that had reasonably 'good' quality was part 3 back when I first read through all of it 5~ ish years ago. I'm not sure how the situation has changed, but I know that parts 4 and 5 were being done to higher levels of quality when I reread the manga maybe 2 years ago, but a large chunk of both of them (like 3 quarters) were still the original poor quality scans, and I don't think parts 1,2, or 6 had even had starts to higher quality scans. Mind you if colour manga is your thing, I know of the Jojo's coloured adventure team having a very high quality coloured version of the manga, and although they aren't finished all parts have made quite a bit of progress, so they're worth checking out. I'm not usually one to whinge about scans but Araki's art style just looks so good that you're missing out on a lot of the enjoyment that comes from the eye candy of it with low quality scans, and the scans are (were?) exceptionally low quality. Or maybe its just possible i just couldnt find the good scans out there (I did look hard though!)

If you wanna be caught up before the part 4 anime which will be hype af i reccomend watching the anime btw, its a very faithful adaptation so far, only thing really notable missing is a fair bit of Dio development in part 1, which is the weakest part of the manga anyway......

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
but really am I the only one who can't get a feel for the main character in erased? he seems like an a disconnected/indifferent intelligent guy, but feels obligated to "do the right thing" and fix problems or whatever. he seems to really care for kayo and enjoys his friends but then there's this talk about him 'faking' his friendliness toward them?
As an adult, he's really been developed by the tragic incidents of his childhood that he thinks he should have been able to stop. That's a pretty strong set-up for a guy who is jaded but also hell-bent on doing the right thing, even before factoring in his revival power which is honestly just the universe laughing at him in how ineffectual it really is.

The faking stuff could be a few things. It could be that he's naturally reclusive and he needs to pretend to like people in order for it to really kick in (he says as much), which isn't really weird. Kayo could be jaded too and think that everyone is faking their social interactions, she after all has been trained to live with a mask. Finally, a degree of what the MC does IS fake because he's an adult in a kid's body. It's probably a combination of all of these things.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly Kayo is my favorite character so far this season. I think that vonFiedler is right to say that she is jaded, and honestly the character just feels more... well, real than the vast majority of anime characters do - especially when compared to other similarly-aged children. I won't elaborate cause I'm in a rush, but it is clear to see lots of thought and research was put into her persnality when I'm watching the show.

So far I have been watching Erased, Koukaku no Pandora, Saijaku no Bahamut and Ao no Kanata no Rhyms or something.
From those 4 only the first 2 are really good, I am just watching Bahamut out of curiousity...maybe it will have a good arc and the last...I don't know...I will just watch one more and if nothing interesting happens I will drop it.

And Phantom World...I dropped that after the first half.

I will most likely take a look at Momokuri today.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
After watching Gunbuster, Diebuster, and TTGL Season 1 in quick sucession I am almost a 100% sure that TTGL is part of the same continuity or universe as the Buster franchise.

There are just too many shared motifs to be pure coincidence, or even just self-referencing from the good folks at Gainax.

Despite Gunbuster(1988) factoring into my theory I'll be focusing more on Diebuster (2004) and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (2007), since Diebuster introduced heaps of new elements (such as Topless energy and the Buster Legion) into the Buster canon continuity, while the original Gunbuster's premise and 'science' was relatively simple--a robot built by humans to destroy a massive alien threat. Diebuster expanded on and overhauled Gunbuster's universe.

In Diebuster there are humans called Topless, who are in a sense 'without limit,' their spiritual powers (stemming from a pure and innocent self-confidence found more commonly in children) allowing them to produce limitless amounts of energy which in turn power their giant robots, the Buster Machines. This is almost identical to the Spiral Power of TTGL, where humanity (and any sentient beings capable of evolution) produce a magical Spiral Power that allows them to, you got it, power their giant robots, the Lagann.

In Diebuster and Gunbuster, the 'good-guy' robots have all been built either directly or indirectly, by humans, and have been shown to be extremely durable. Buster Machine #7 lies in hibernation for so long a comet forms around itself, and has lived for at least thousands (if not tens of thousands, as speculated by one character) of years, and Buster Machine Dix-Neuf, the oldest Buster Machine still in service, has been around for at least 500. The Spiral King Genome built and then maintained his own personal Gurren Lagann (the Lazengann) over the course of his entire reign, during which he forced all of humanity underground and established a completely new social hierarchy based around Beastmen. While Gurren was a Beastmen mech and supposedly relatively new Lagann was found buried underground in a state of dormancy similar to Buster #7's. One significant aspect of this longevity is that the robots are able to live long past the confines of human memory. Buster Machine 7 was completely forgotten by humanity (the single digit Busters being the stuff of legend by the time the story takes place), and throughout TTGL enemies and allies alike remark on the curiousity of a tiny cranial robot existing.

In Diebuster the emerging Topless factions of humanity cause the ancient defense systems of ages past, designed to defend against space monsters with similar abilities, to go haywire and turn on humanity. In TTGL a distant collective of beings, the Anti-Spiral, discovered that Spiral power's very limitlessness threatened the fundamental structure of the universe, and thus vowed to destroy all beings who possessed it in order to prevent a catastrophic buildup of Spiral, the so-called Spiral Nemesis.

In TTGL humanity grew dependent on Spiral energy, drawing the Anti-Spiral to them. In all-out war the Anti-Spiral prevailed, utterly annihilating humanity, but the human Lordgenome saw the futility of battle and betrayed his allies, forcing humanity underground to hide their Spiral signature and populating Earth with artificially produced Spiral-devoid Beastmen. One VERY IMPORTANT thing to consider when looking at this event is that EVEN BEFORE Lordgenome's betrayal of humanity, quasi-humanoid robots designed to defend against alien threats already existed (as shown in several OVAs released by Gainax), these robots supposedly being powered by Spiral energy. This means that Spiral-powered robots were one of humanity's prevalent defense mechanisms before humanity's collapse at the hands of LG and the Anti-Spiral. Keep that in mind.

In Diebuster, Gunbuster, and TTGL, a fundamental feature of the series' robots is their ability to combine, almost always in pairs. In Gunbuster there were Buster Machines 1 & 2, which combined to form the titular Gunbuster, and in Gurren Lagann the lanky Gurren and the cranial Lagann mesh to create the titular Gurren Lagann. Also, in both Diebuster and TTGL, the final-final form of the hero robots is an amalgam of millions of individuals combined to form a massive human-like figure dwarfing galaxies (in the shape of Nono is Diebuster and the shape of Kamina in TTGL).

So here are the biggest parallels between Gunbuster, Diebuster, and TTGL: powerful combining robots built by humanity in order to combat alien menaces, capable of withstanding the test of time and powered by humanity's innate will to attain greater and greater heights. It's my belief that these machines are one and the same, all part of a chain of evolution and improvement throughout human history. Of course, in order to accept this theory two leaps in logic have to be made:

-1) that Spiral and Topless energy are one and the same. Pretty simple assumption to make. They both center around humanity (and in TTGL's case, evolution-capables)'s will to survive and grow stronger, both revolve around the idea of being without limitations (these limitations often being referenced as literally being vertical --> see 'Topless''s very name and TTGL's famous quote "This is the drill that will pierce the heavens!"). One could argue that this makes no sense because TTGL asserts that Spiral energy has existed in humanity since its conception, while Diebuster's Topless only emerged long after the conclusion of Gunbuster. However, you could easily say that the connection was only made as advances in science and understanding of Spiral energy became more profound. That is to say, Spiral/Topless (S/T) energy may not manifest externally until a certain threeshold of 'ultimate evolution' is reached (supported by the fact that the human beings in TTGL never transform into some otherworldly creatures, while the mole-pet does evolve... into a humanoid!) upon which S/T energy can be used and manifested in producing energy and mass (e.g. TTGL's titular Giga Drill, which literally is pulled out of nowhere. Part of the Anti-Spiral's fear of Spiral is that it allows wielders to break the fundamental laws of physics, tearing at the universe's foundations. Topless can achieve feats such as instantaneous warping, teleportation and throwing of planets, et cetera). Thus we can say that the progression of events is thus -

A) In gunbuster, humanity is, while APPROACHING the evolutionary threshold, not yet there.

B) By the point of Diebuster's story, humanity has BEGUN to break that threshold, resulting in small portions of humanity gaining Topless powers, but losing them as they age.

C) By the time of the Anti-Spiral War we can assume that a majority of humanity has broken this barrier. Humanity's capability for external S/T manifestation had become more advanced, with the robots involved in the final crusade angainst the Anti-Spiral are piloted by adult-voiced humans, and various adults (e.g. Kamina, and like half the misc. pilots involved in the final assault on Granzeboma) pilot Lagann as well, and it is noted several times that ALL humans are capable of producing Spiral.

Following up on the idea that S/T science is further along in TTGL than in DB, we can say that in DB's time Topless energy was not as well understood, while in TTGL we can see that it influences evolution. Thus one could say that the reason S/T energy does not manifest prior is due to said S/T being used up in the evolutionary process. This would not have been grasped until TTGL, with DB's universe treating Toplessness as an abnormal condition.

-2) humanity's expansion across the galaxy? By the end of Diebuster, the alien menace has been supposedly defeated, and settlements on Mars and Pluto already exist. So then, why is humanity back on Earth? This one's pretty simple--no matter how many advancements man made between Diebuster and TTGL, they were all erased in the blink of an eye by the relentless advance of the Anti-Spiral armies. After his coup, Lordgenome probably also took extra measures to ensure all of humanity was encapsulated within Earth to prevent any leakage of Spiral signature. Thus, the regression of humanity back into being Earthbound.

With these handled, now I can get onto the major connections (not the obvious superficial ones).

One: GUNS -> DRILLS. The original Gunbuster robot was all about guns. Its signature attacks involved splitting its limbs into tens of hundreds of energy cannons, embedding them into its enemy, and firing point-blank to achieve maximum destructive power. This technique we also see in Diebuster, with Buster #7 using it on the STAGE 3 Fluctuating Gravity Well monster in Episode 6... but with little to no effect.

^Here we can see that the evolution of the original alien menace from Gunbuster 1 has brought it to a point where the original techniques of gunbuster just won't cut it anymore. Even with the boundless Topless energy backing it up. But perhaps there's a more optimal usage of S/T ENERGY????

EXACTLY. It's FUCKING DRILLS. The ultimate combined form of Buster 7 and the Buster legion is adorned with two drill-shaped shoulder pauldrons, and the final, ultimate technique used to finish off the S3 FGW, the INAZUMA DOUBLE KICKU, forms a spiralling, drill-shape when piercing the enemy's hull.

Thus we can assume that the ultimate form of Topless energy is Spiral energy (perhaps indicative of some sort of spiral wave nature of the energy itself), and that the optimal form of usage of said energy is in literally a spiralling motion, best materialised in drills. Thus the next generation of S/T robots uses drills instead.. Certain iterations of the Gurren Lagann even have the same drill-shaped shoulder pauldrons as BN7!

Even the Spiral Nemesis, the deadly catastrophe brought about by overuse of Spiral predicted by the Anti-Spiral, has a presence in DB. The splitting of the Fluctuating Gravity Well, and in turn its host black hole, creates what one character calls a "naked singularity," something which "should not be possible in this universe." The power of Spiral is so great that it does what cannot, and should not be done, sometimes creating dangerous reality-warping situations. It's not hard to move from this occurrence to perhaps a predictably much more dangerous, impossible to contain event occurring as humanity's capacity for S/T grows.

So here is my new timeline, which integrates all three series into one big continuity:

1- Humanity evolves.

2- the intergalactic menace of the 'space monsters,' later called the 'fluctuating gravity wells,' emerges.

3- To combat the threat, humanity creates an Absolute Defense Line system designed to protect against the aliens.

4- The first test of the Absolute Defense Line. The experimental weapon Gunbuster, piloted by Noriko Takay and Kazuki Amano, repels the invaders.

5- Later on, Gunbuster once again departs, holding the supermassive ship the Black Hole Bomb, to go and destroy the entire home solar system of the aliens.

(here, the timeline splits due to space time dilation).

5a - time passes. The Buster machines continue to be produced. Topless humans begin to emerge, produced by humanity's approach to the 'S/T threshold.' Topless retain powers until a point of 'expiration,' at which they lose everything.

5b - in the far reaches of the solar system Gunbuster (the original Buster Machine) deploys the Black Hole Bomb and obliterates the alien's home system before beginning the long journey home.

6a - Buster Machines (starting at least with or after 2 and with or before 7) begin to be built solely to accommodate Topless, using their limitless energy to surpass new heights. However, we can see that some Busters were built with non-Topless in mind, as shown by Buster 9's secret cockpit, which appears to draw out innate, hidden S/T energy from humans even after expiration. These Buster Machines are sentient, and can communicate with Topless (and apparently non-Topless, but non-Topless cannot understand the robots). The Absolute Defense Line system turns on the Topless humans, whose evolution has progressed to the point where they, like the supposedly fully evolved 'space monsters,' are able to externally manifest S/T energy.

6b - same as 5b.

7a - Buster 7 and Buster 9 destroy the FGW Stage 3, causing a naked singularity due to their combined Spiral energy as well as the spiralling nature of their attack. This may possibly be one of the events that alert the Anti-Spiral, off in their distant corner of the universe, to the dangers of Spiral power.

7b - same as 5b and 6b.

8 - Buster Machines 1 and 2 return to Earth. The alien menace both at home (FGW S3) and abroad (home star system of the space monsters) now destroyed, humanity is free to develop its tech, etc.

8b - The Anti-Spiral purges itself of Spiral, becomes a hive mind and declares war on Spiral life-forms.

9 - humanity has grown further, to the point where Spiral is ubiquitous amongst Humans, regardless of age, et cetera. Robots powered by Spiral, supposedly sentient in a manner similar to the Busters, are still used by humanity to defend against attacks.

10 - The Anti-Spiral detect humanity's Spiral and attack. LordGenome betrays his race and drives humanity underground, hoping to hide the remainder of humanity's Spiral signatures and save them from the Anti-Spiral.

11- the events of TTGL. (One thing I forgot to note is that despite the extreme lengths of interstellar travel endured during the second half of TTGL, space time dilation does not take effect--e.g. the people on Earth can see Granzeboma and TTGL fighting from trillions of lightyears away. Perhaps S/T can also warp light, space and time subconsciously, for reasons unknown)

Sorry if this is all over the place, I've been writing this ofr like an hour lol. If you have any questions or objections, feel free to tell me itt or thru vm/pm/irc/etc, I'd love to talk to u abt it.

Cheers!

Edit: shoutout to Gangnam Style for introducing me to Gun and Die busters! :)))
big thing I forgot to address: in ttgl there are two spa girls identical to Nono and the Princess (DB). I just wrote that off as being self-referential stuff from Gainax tho (given the other two spa girls look like Asuka and Rei)...but still, it would be weird for a show to reference another show from a previous point in its timeline with direct cameos...which does beg the question as to whether DB and TTGL are just really really really fucking similar shows. But idk lol

More Parallels:
-All three series have the main pose of the robots being legs apart, arms crossed.
-Yoko's appearance in TTGL is quite similar to the fused Buster 7/Legion construct, down to the red ponytail and orange lenses
-usage of ultra-dense space as a weapon--the Black Hole Bombs in GB and the Matter Sea in TTGL
-Both Buster 9 and TTGL have a face-in-torso motif, but BN9's bodyface is on its back instead of on its chest like TTGL's, and its actually used in combat for a last-resort laser-attack (unlike TTGL)

More Holes:
-another thing that makes me doubt my theory a little is the absence of a shirt-tearing scene in TTGL... I might have to watch again to look for something like that though. You could say that since Simon and Kamina always have bared chests during their piloting sequences this still applies though?
-degenarcy generators are missing in TTGL, but then again the internal structure of the robots is barely mentioned over the series. Again, might need to rewatch again.
-The robots need Spiral drills/keys to operate in TTGL. However I believe this is another instance of technological advancement--just a way for pilots ot better channel Spiral power into robots. Plus we can see instances where the Lagann operates/moves without its key

Last edited:
Gainax does references, yah. I didn't read everything but I'll just mention that Gunbuster/NGE had a different team than TTGL/Kill la Kill and FLCL/Diebuster. Uh, I think that's the right way to split those shows in terms of creative staff; correct me if I'm wrong.

Martin

Man, listening to Grimgar's sountrack is a really good way to unwind. Lying in bed listening to this is making me feel so tranquil and content.

Its just a pity that the full version isn't out yet, meaning I have to make do with the short version for the time being (which is stll 4 mins long anyway, so I'm fine with this).

Defo gonna buy the full OST when they release it.

Yeah, Grimgar's low-keyedness is definitely part of its appeal. Though given the pacing, it's a pity it'll probably end after 12 episodes.

At the other end of the "fantasy RPG anime that never go anywhere" spectrum, Konosuba has some pretty tired cliche moments but the hits definitely outweigh the misses (and DEEN's general cheap-looking animation) for me.

Weekly obligatory "boku dake ga inai machi / ERASED is still fantastic and you should be watching it"

I never gave a proper review of Chihayafuru so here's my brief thoughts, a week after finishing the show:

Chihayafuru is a sports anime about karuta, which involves memorizing the verses to 100 famous Japanese poems and being able to pick out the correct second verse of a poem based on hearing the first verse. It's incredibly focused on reflexes and memorization, and the show's art does a great job of showing that. While the concept of the game may sound boring, Chihayafuru draws you in and makes it involving and tense - expect to know a few of the cards yourself by the time you're finished.

While the plot is driven entirely by karuta, Chihayafuru really shines when it comes to its characters. This is a show that loves its characters and does its best to flesh them out - all three main characters are very real, very vibrant, and deeply flawed individuals., and many of the side characters get more development than most main characters of other anime. Character interactions are all unique and realistic, and the romance subplot of the show feels natural and compelling without disrupting the main storyline.

The animation is beautiful at times and generally solid throughout. The soundtrack centers heavily around one motif but is absolutely gorgeous, especially during emotional moments (of which there are MANY). The voice acting and the character visuals are well done.

I have very few complaints about the show, and those that I do have are sort of spoilery so I won't go into them here. If you watch this show, you'll be watching it for the characters first and foremost - if you're not interested by the end of episode 3 then you probably won't be interested at all. Season 1 is one of my few 10/10s on my MAL; Season 2 was also strong but not quite as good as the first, in my opinion. Overall I highly recommend it, if that isn't clear.

I'm also four episodes into Toradora and I'm liking it, so far. Taiga is kind of a jarring character for me to be around - she's sort of the OG tsundere, and her personality in general made for an abrupt transition from a show like Chihayafuru, where the characters are generally much more realistic. Still, she's growing on me, and I have no problems with the rest of the cast.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm also four episodes into Toradora and I'm liking it, so far. Taiga is kind of a jarring character for me to be around - she's sort of the OG tsundere, and her personality in general made for an abrupt transition from a show like Chihayafuru, where the characters are generally much more realistic. Still, she's growing on me, and I have no problems with the rest of the cast.
I've said this before but it bears repeating: I don't think it's accurate to call Taiga a tsundere (or at the very least, not a typical tsundere) because with a tsundere the scorn (tsun) and love (dere) go together. Taiga doesn't scorn Kitamura—in fact, she goes out of her way not to—she's just violent and selfish around everyone else. Which just makes her a violent and selfish person, not a tsundere.

and yeah she definitely takes a long time to grow on you lol

brightobject

there like moonlight
I've said this before but it bears repeating: I don't think it's accurate to call Taiga a tsundere (or at the very least, not a typical tsundere) because with a tsundere the scorn (tsun) and love (dere) go together. Taiga doesn't scorn Kitamura—in fact, she goes out of her way not to—she's just violent and selfish around everyone else.

and yeah she definitely takes a long time to grow on you lol
she is tsundere towards the MC, not Kitamura !-!

Martin

Honestly Taiga was one of my favorite characters in TV as a whole right from the first episode, and the fact that she developed into the most complex of the show's cast and into a very likeable and relatable character for me (the only part of her personality that doesn't remind me of my irl personality is that she is a delinquent) has resulted in her very easily being among my ten favorite characters from across all forms of story-based media at this point (be it television, literature, radio, theatre etc.).

Also I think Stratos is right that she ain't tsundere. She shifts between tsun and dere a lot but I don't honestly think she is ever really both in similar measure at any point aside from maybe one point later on, and that isn't long-lived enough for it to really make the character feel overall very tsundere as it is for less than an episode and is still really questionable as to whether it is actually her being tsundere or not.

edit: just watched Erased and it was still amazing.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mfw i finish Steins;Gate and still dont know what i just witnessed but i know it was good

Tuturuu~

RODAN

Banned deucer.
alright guys, favourite individual anime episode go

for me it comes down to four

the first is episode six of ping pong, the above scene is just so powerful to me and encapsulates all the characters so perfectly. It is equally uplifting and soul shattering.

the second one for me is episode five of kemonozume. this is the single most gutwrenching episode of any show i've ever seen I think. The struggles of falling in love with a monster, and how far he is willing to go to make it work - only for it to be cut short in the end. Its incredibly hard to watch, but in the absolute best way. It also parallels the main plot extremely well.

the third is episode six of kekkai sensen, you know, the hamburger one. there is a bit of a trend in episodes I like i guess, as this one is also equally depressing and uplifting. Has some really punchy moments to it.

finally episode eleven of samurai champloo. once again this episode is incredibly similar to the kemonozume one i mentioned. About falling in love with someone who is ultimately impossible to have, and facing the emotions that come with it. This episode is so extremely powerful to me - it is one of the very few anime episodes I would show someone. It is absolutely magical, IMO.

this episode showcases why anime isnt just for kids. Even though it was done in 1967 the animation surpasses current day studio giants like toei. Despite being outdated, the character it adds to the series is unmistakably timeless. The action is top notch, pitting spiderman against some of the most powerful men and gods to ever walk the earth. The mystery of what could behind this combined with excellent quips from j jonah and spiderman alike provide the cherry on top of an already delicious cake. I would reccomend this to anime lovers and normies alike.

more to come.

Martin

Bought the first volume of Tokyo Ghoul earlier. I've read 4 chapters so far and am enjoying it a lot. I'm trying to spread my reading across the next week but honestly I'm worried that I'll get to Tuesday and have finished it :/. Does anyone recommend anything that I could read in case that happens? I'd read Erased but they didn't have it in stock when I went out to buy it, and its not something I'd be willing to cheapscate online for. Ideally it should be similar to it though, so what do you all suggest?

Anyway, favorite individual episode is either ep 11 of Anohana or the fourth episode of Erased, with honorable mentions going to most of Toradora, Akira and most of Madoka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)