ORAS OU Hyper Bulky Offense: The Iron Golem

Hi smogon I'm back to show you my Mega Aggron based team. Aggron is one of the greatest physical tanks ever, capable of checking and countering many top-tier threats. Its Steel typing combined with Filter allows it to check many prominent threats in the metagame, such as Mega Metagross and Mega Altaria lacking Fire Blast. Aggron also has access to great support moves such as Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave. Unfortunately, Aggron lacks reliable recovery outside of Rest, has a poor defensive typing prior to Mega Evolving and so I decided to create a team to support this giant the best as i can.

AT FIRST GLANCE

IN DEPTH

Aggron @ Aggronite

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

Aggron's Mega Evolution boasts a ridiculously high base 230 Defense stat. Furthermore, its ability, Filter, reduces the amount of damage taken from super effective attacks by 25%. Mega Aggron's pure Steel typing gives it ten resistances and one immunity. It has access to great support moves infact it's my Stealth Rock. Mega Aggron has a good base 140 Attack stat, which lets it fire off strong attacks. Iron Head it's the main STAB over Heavy Slam to hit harder Mamoswine, Tyranitar and KYurem-B. Avalanche deals lots of damage to Pokemon that would otherwise wall this set, such as Landorus-T and Gliscor, and is used over Ice Punch because Aggron is slower than its targets anyways. Earthquake over Fire Punch to deal with Heatran, Excadrill, Metagross and Trap-Magnezone.

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Clafable first role is to heal back Aggron with wish and Heal Bell. I'm using it instead of Sylveon due to Clefable great ability Unaware (although I would be really in danger against setup sweeper) and becouse I have 2 Assault Vest Pokemon and Latias, which can take SpA quite well. Clefable is also my counter to Mega Sableye. Moonblast is the main STAB move that Clefable uses to deal damage and to not be completely shut down by Taunt. Heal Bell lets Clefable utilize its good defenses to become a supportive cleric, as well as clearing itself of any status because without Magic Guard, it is quite susceptible to poison and burn. Wish provides reliable recovery for Clefable and its team and is used over Soft-Boiled. Protect is great for safely receiving Wish healing and for scouting.

Latias @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
-Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Latias completes the Stell-Fairy-Dragon core and provides a bunch of roles. He is my Defoger and the main Keldeo counter, infact Clefable EV investimate does not permit a safe switch in. SpA + Life Orb give to the team some offensive presents that would otherwise lack. Defog clears all entry hazards from the field to support the team. Draco Meteor is a powerful STAB move that deals heavy damage to many offensive Pokemon such as Thundurus, Mega Pinsir, Mega Gallade, and Mega Manectric. Psyshock is a secondary STAB move that targets specially bulky Pokemon such as Chansey, Sylveon, and Azumarill, as well as Fighting- and Poison-types such as Keldeo, Breloom, Conkeldurr, Gengar, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss. Finally Recover improves Latias survivability and as any other member of my team give a way to "recover" HPs.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom it's really usefull to check water, gruond and flyng types that could couse serious problem to Aggron without fearing Scald burn due to Pain Spil and Clafable. Volt Switch is Rotom-W's Electric STAB move that allows it to regain momentum after pivoting into a threat forming a good core with Thundurus Uturn. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's secondary STAB that allows it to beat some of the Pokemon it checks, most notably Ground-types such as Landorus-T and Mamoswine, which are immune to Volt Switch. Will-O-Wisp allows Rotom-W to inflict burns on the foe and cripple physical attackers. Pain Split can be used when Rotom-W's HP is low to regain some HP.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest

Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

I think that Conkeldurr fits so well in this team beeing my main Special tank. Guts it awsome becouse i can take status,hit harder, switch out, heal bell and Wish/Drain Punch to incraese it's survivability. It's really usufull to check gengar, rotom, heatran, dark-types and even switch in fairy-types that want to be as far as possible from Aggron. Drain Punch is Conkeldurr's main STAB move, providing 50% of the damage dealt as recovery. Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr priority and can be used to pick off weakened opponents. nock Off cripples any Pokemon, as none appreciate losing their item. It also allows Conkeldurr to take on Stallbreaker Mew with ease. Poison Jab is a great move on Conkeldurr, allowing it to deal massive damage to Fairy-types, most notably Azumarill and Clefable, which are both 2HKOed after a bit of prior damage.

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest

Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Tornadus it's also a great pokemon for thease team. 2nd Assoult Vest user can take away pressure from Conkeldurr and Latias, Hurricane provides a strong Flying STAB move, enabling Tornadus-T to OHKO Serperior and Keldeo. , U-turn enables Tornadus-T to generate momentum and pairs very well with Rotom Volt-Switch and Regenerator, as every time Tornadus-T uses it, it gains a large chunk of its health back. Capability to deal with Serperior and other Grass-type supporting Rotom, Knock Off provides great utility by removing items such as Leftovers, Life Orb, and Choice Scarf from common switch-ins to Tornadus-T, and Heat Wave to overkill Ferrothorn and Scizor. Finally his amazing speed it's usefull to revenge kill, infact this team has only Match Punch as priority move.

IMPORTABLE
Aggron @ Aggronite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Last edited:

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Nice team you have there. Aggron is something you don't see everyday but works as a nice switch in to Mega Altaria, Bisharp, and Weavile, three of the biggest threats in the tier. A cleric was a smart move on your part because Aggron gets worn down easily and is susceptible to status. Rotom-Wash was also a great decision because Sand Rush Excadrill and Talonflame destroy the Aggron+Clefable core. Looks pretty solid on paper, I only have a couple of suggestions that might make the team better.

Ok, first glaring weakness I see is Mega Diancie. Mega Diancie is super threatening because it can freely Mega Evolve and has a good matchup vs Tornadus-Therian, Conkeldurr, and Latias. You don't really have a lot of counterplay, as Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Moonblast, and Aggron, even with 240 SpDef EVs, is 2HKOed by Earth Power after Stealth Rocks. Another conundrum to your team is Mega Scizor. It might not look like it since you have Heat Wave from Tornadus-Therian and Rotom Wash to burn it, but fast Mega Scizor OHKOes Tornadus-T with a +2 Bullet Punch, and Rotom-W with a +2 Bug Bite.

My first suggestion will be Choice Scarf Magnezone>Conkeldurr. Magnezone will help your team a lot, trapping and weakening(if not kill) bulky Steel types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. This would allow Latias and Aggron to have a better time on the battling field because they are Pokemon walled by Scizor and Ferrothorn. Furthermore, Magnezone gives your team a nice check to Fairy types such as Mega Diancie and Gardevoir.

My next suggestion will be Timid>Hasty and Iron Tail>Heat Wave on Tornadus-Therian. Now that you have Magnezone to help get rid of Scizor and Ferrothorn, Heat Wave is kind of redundant. While Shed Shell is still a thing on Ferrothorn, it can easily be Knocked Off, because once you show Iron Tail, your Opponent will know that you don't have Heat Wave, and will send out Ferrothorn. The reason why I have Iron Tail is because even with Magnezone, Diancie is still pretty threatening due to the lack of switch-ins you have on your team. Iron Tail is so uncommon on Tornadus, that if you predict Diancie to go for Protect and go for like a U-Turn, your opponent will stay in, and die to the unexpected Iron Tail. Timid Nature over Hasty because you lose a significant amount of bulk and Iron Tail OHKOes Diancie even with a -Atk Nature and 0 Atk investment.

0- Atk Tornadus-T Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 240-284 (99.5 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

TEAM NOW

IMPORTABLE

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Iron Tail
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Aggron @ Aggronite
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Avalanche
- Earthquake

REPLAY
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-330500110

If you need something, hit me up bro. Good luck! :]

Last edited:
Hi man first of all thanks for replay and I'm glad you appriciate this team!
What I can say, you have noticed immidiatly the issue of my team, Mega Diancie/Scizor/Gardevoir and Ferrothorn are really hard to take down and Magnezone seems perfect to counter/check all of them. I will definitely try your suggestions but I'm afraid to replace Conkeldurr for the reason:
1) Conkeldurr is my main Special Attack check with him away I think that would be to much pressure on Tornadus
2) I will not have any safe switch in to Gendar With rocks up
3) I think I will be to much weak to Offensive/Stallbreaker Heatran with only Rotom capable of deal with him
To solve this issue (or maybe those are problems only in my mind) do yuo have any suggestion?
However thanks for the help and for testing my team!

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Even with Stealth Rocks Up, Tornadus-T should still check Gengar comfortably. As for Heatran, Latias can switch into Scarf Sets. Stallbreaking tran is only really a problem if Power Herb+Magma Storm. Magma Storm Toxic can be handled by Rotom Wash+Wish Support from Clefable if you need it. Furthermore, if you have no choice, Spdef Mega Aggron can take a hit(Filter) and kill with an EQ. MagmaStorm+Power Herb is the bigger threat. What you can do to deal with those sets is Knock Off with Tornadus-Therian and then switch into Rotom Wash.

Bump!
I tested BreloomMyHomie's suggestions a few times and generally the team work a lot better but in a minority of cases i feel the lack of conkeldurr. However take down skarmory and scizor so easly it's really good for this team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)