Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

Well guys,why it doesn't occur a little window to notice me the tournament on the bottom-right of my screen now?
I'm playing Showdown on Chrome now,while severe days off I played it on another Computer with another browser,one with a Chrome core.
While IE cannot run Pokemon Showdown,at least I failed to manage so.

It is confirmed that I didn't select the Ignore Tournaments in Showdown Options.

May it caused by the lack of software(idk which would it be because I'm using a pretty new computer now),or an updating of Showdown,or some options about Chrome itself,or just can't notice me a tournament when playing on Chrome?

-

EDITED:

I've now realized it just occurs,but just 10 seconds or what,how could i make it lasts longer?
Though not noticing an tournament announcement cause me unable to join a tournament,it is fun to be a spectator though.

Last edited:
Well, as you've said, the box does appear, so there's no issue there. There's no way to elongate the timing of the notification box that appears to my knowledge and even if there is, it's not PS related. Further inquiry about notification boxes on Chrome should be done on google I guess.

A tip on noticing tournaments: When you're in a a bunch of chatrooms and a tournament starts in one of them, the tab of the one where the tour starts becomes orange (the same as when you get highlighted in a room). So, you can click a room when the tab becomes orange and see if there's a tour, then join it if signups are still open.

I'd also suggest hanging out in the tournaments room because there's back to back tours there.

Hi Brawl MK

The main server is currently down, just be patient it will restart soon
It shut down in the middle of an official tournament just now (with one person in the finals, another in the semis, and another 2 in the quarters). This clearly doesn't fall under scheduled maintenance, so can you shed some light on what causes this downtime? Does the server just literally randomly crash, and if so, are there any plans to add redundancy to the backend?

It shut down in the middle of an official tournament just now (with one person in the finals, another in the semis, and another 2 in the quarters). This clearly doesn't fall under scheduled maintenance, so can you shed some light on what causes this downtime? Does the server just literally randomly crash, and if so, are there any plans to add redundancy to the backend?
It was a random crash, yes. This random crash however, is different from the one awu was referring to earlier, it wasn't down for 4 hours or anything like that.

When someone says "the server is down", it means that there was a crash and the server hasn't come back up since then. Planned restarts only take seconds to come back up, so if you're ever suddenly disconnected from PS and cannot rejoin, it's safe to assume that it's down.

It was a random crash, yes. This random crash however, is different from the one awu was referring to earlier, it wasn't down for 4 hours or anything like that.

When someone says "the server is down", it means that there was a crash and the server hasn't come back up since then. Planned restarts only take seconds to come back up, so if you're ever suddenly disconnected from PS and cannot rejoin, it's safe to assume that it's down.
So, that leads to my followup... are there plans for redundancy in the future? For a server setup like this, it's not actually hard to run it as a functional network equivalent of a raid1; when a crash happens, the backup server, which will have kept the same state as the initial server, will simply take over operations and become the primary server, and the old primary will become backup once it comes back online. Then you need the actual router to fail in order for the server to be brought down.

If this actually was a router or ISP problem, then there are also ways to manage redundancy using geographically disparate servers.

Basically, I am sad that I'm losing my 5 meaningless internet points for getting into the semifinals of an official tournament (maybe even more, I could've gotten to the finals or won)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Don't use Sky Attack ever unless you want to use Power Herb and waste your item slot. Other than Drill Run, Fearow can't really abuse Sniper reliably so your best best bet for a Flying-move is Drill Peck. Just run the 2 STABs and pick U-turn / Pursuit / Quick Attack bc Fearow's movepool is pretty bad.

I probably already know the answer, but is there a way to turn off PM's from ONLY new accounts on showdown? Accounts that are less then a week old.

If not, is there a thread where I can "suggest" that?

No, there's none. You can suggest it in the suggestions thread, but idk how plausible/necessary of a request this is. Like I'm global auth and I don't even get a lot of annoying random PMs, when I was a reg/roomauth only I barely got random PMs. This doesn't seem like a big problem that needs fixing. If a person is PMing you and you don't want to talk to them, use the /ignore command to ignore those users specifically.

Can someone explain to me why my post about starting a draft league still isn't being approved? I read over the Community Events Involvement post, and I read over the post that Eevee General linked in a comment there. I know I'm supposed to get approval from a higher-up but how do I get that approval? What does my league post need done to it to help get it approved? For some reason it is stashed in room/server requests but I'm not asking for a room or a server. I just want to have the post be here on the Showdown forums because it would be run through Showdown. Someone messaged me once about there being too many events going on at the moment, but I'm not trying to make a Showdown-wide event or anything. I'm just trying to get the word out and create a league of approximately 10-16 people.

Is there somewhere else I should be making a post to try and get a league going? What do I need to do get approval?

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
PS! isn't loading for me at all on laptop. I tried on phone, it worked, but on laptop nothing happens
that's how it's been for the whole day, and it's the same story with every server. can anyone help :[
Try Showdown on a different browser, and see if the same issue occurs there. If it does not, reinstall your current browser. If it does, run a virus scan with Malwarebytes.

If you reinstall your current browser, make sure you back up your teams and potential highlights you might have.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Where is the HGSS Youngster sprite? I've heard that it wasn't a hidden sprite, and it isn't shown in the menu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)