(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I remember her for one other reason. That $@#% Umbreon she has that spams double team and confuse ray. Also proof that anti-competitive players have no clue what they're talking about.
Koga in HG / SS is literally the same with that Crobat which has the advantage of being so fast it is able to set-up before you can do something. Still, the design of Koga is perfect because he is a ninja, so he must use these strategies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
On the subject of the Elite Four, I think I found a somewhat related annoyance: Most of the time, you only interact with the Elite Four when you're in their respective rooms. One conversation, one battle, a few words of wisdom, goodbye. Not really much to build a personality with.

At the same time, many of the characters you do interact with have no personality whatsoever. The nurses at Poké Centers. Mart clerks. The Day-Care couple. The Berry Master. The folks behind counters at the Gates. You pass them or speak to them dozens or even hundreds of times during your playthrough. They're effectively vending machines, for all you care. I can see why their dialogue needs to be efficient and to-the-point, for that very reason, but having them all be identical?

I believe these two problems could be addressed together. You interact too little with the persons you're supposed to care about, and the persons you interact with aren't worth caring about. But what if, say, once a week, an Elite Four member would take the spot of a Pokémon Center nurse? One small bit of dialogue the first time you met him/her wouldn't detract much from the efficiency of the process you've come to the Pokémon Center for, but add a lot to the personality of the Elite Four member in question. You could have one hanging out at the Day Care once a week, while the Day-Care Couple is out shopping or whatever. It'd be a break in the monotony of always seeing the same people in the same buildings, and give the writers a lot more opportunity to build personality for the Elite Four, or Gym Leaders, or other prominent-but-rarely-seen storyline characters.

On the subject of the Elite Four, I think I found a somewhat related annoyance: Most of the time, you only interact with the Elite Four when you're in their respective rooms. One conversation, one battle, a few words of wisdom, goodbye. Not really much to build a personality with.

At the same time, many of the characters you do interact with have no personality whatsoever. The nurses at Poké Centers. Mart clerks. The Day-Care couple. The Berry Master. The folks behind counters at the Gates. You pass them or speak to them dozens or even hundreds of times during your playthrough. They're effectively vending machines, for all you care. I can see why their dialogue needs to be efficient and to-the-point, for that very reason, but having them all be identical?

I believe these two problems could be addressed together. You interact too little with the persons you're supposed to care about, and the persons you interact with aren't worth caring about. But what if, say, once a week, an Elite Four member would take the spot of a Pokémon Center nurse? One small bit of dialogue the first time you met him/her wouldn't detract much from the efficiency of the process you've come to the Pokémon Center for, but add a lot to the personality of the Elite Four member in question. You could have one hanging out at the Day Care once a week, while the Day-Care Couple is out shopping or whatever. It'd be a break in the monotony of always seeing the same people in the same buildings, and give the writers a lot more opportunity to build personality for the Elite Four, or Gym Leaders, or other prominent-but-rarely-seen storyline characters.
This...actually reminds me of the new Fire Emblem game that just came out. All the shops and everything in the game are staffed by a random member of your party. I could see something similar occurring here. Maybe in the region, there will be volunteers at Pokemon Centers and you'll see new guys appear all the time instead of the same Pokemon Center nurse (these people will be random plot-centric people from the game). They could each spout off a piece of dialogue explaining why they're there. And maybe their remaining "generic" dialogue that we all skip would have a unique flavor to them.

But, well, that's just something that could be done. To be honest, Pokemon still relies a lot of old tropes from mid-90s RPGs. So, it's all outdated by now and the only reason anyone still tolerates it is because it's been there from the very beginning, and people just do not like change.

Last edited:
What did he say?
Pretty much that what Karen said was OK for leisure casual battles, but real players must be prepared to use Pokémon that would actually win them battles. Can't recall it correctly but it was beautiful.
"It's one thing to enjoy leisurely battles, but real battles can be a severe trial. Truly strong Trainers sometimes must be prepared to choose Pokémon that can win rather than their favorite Pokémon."

One of my favorite quotes as well.

What's the issue with ORAS guy? It irks me too, I just can't put my finger on exactly why.
My problem with both is that they go against the idea of Pokémon; it's not about catching a Pokémon because it's powerful and it's not about the trainer catching it because it's their favourite - gameplay and story segregation aside; of course you the player can catch a pokemon because it's powerful or your favourite - the trainer catches a Pokémon and befriends it regardless of how much they may or may not have wanted it to begin with.

Also yeah what Darth Manaphy said above; that can easily be implied

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Somewhere between Karen's "Real trainers use Pokemon they like" and ORAS's Battle Resort Gentlemen's "Real trainers use Pokemon that are competitive" there's the true meaning of what it's meant to be a "Real trainer". I'll admit I do lean more toward Karen's philosophy, but the ORAS Gentleman has a point and I feel it should be something to be applied onto Karen's statement.

Starting with Karen's statement, of course you're going to use the Pokemon you like. If you like a Pokemon you're most likely going to try and make it the best it can be, looking up and maybe coming up with your own competitive set for it (and now Mega Evolutions are even giving some underused Pokemon a new chance to become competitive, take Mega Beedrill and Pidgeot for example). However, there's a limit to this and I think that's where Battle Resort Gentleman comes in. While you can use your favorites by all means, sometimes that's not enough. Some Pokemon are only as strong as their team and though you may make a team of all your favorites that doesn't mean they synergize well. There's a point where you have to go "all these are my favorites, but if I really want to win I'm going need to swap in some Pokemon who can add team synergy". You'd need a competitive Pokemon that can both support and be supported your favorite Pokemon, even if that means replacing another of your favorite Pokemon (It also doesn't hurt to try out new Pokemon and learning how to play them and get a feel for them. Who knows, maybe you'll even find a new appreciation or even favorite).

Karen and Battle Resort Gentleman both represent two extreme views, it's up to the player to either side with one they agree with or choose a middling option.

Somewhere between Karen's "Real trainers use Pokemon they like" and ORAS's Battle Resort Gentlemen's "Real trainers use Pokemon that are competitive" there's the true meaning of what it's meant to be a "Real trainer". I'll admit I do lean more toward Karen's philosophy, but the ORAS Gentleman has a point and I feel it should be something to be applied onto Karen's statement.

Starting with Karen's statement, of course you're going to use the Pokemon you like. If you like a Pokemon you're most likely going to try and make it the best it can be, looking up and maybe coming up with your own competitive set for it (and now Mega Evolutions are even giving some underused Pokemon a new chance to become competitive, take Mega Beedrill and Pidgeot for example). However, there's a limit to this and I think that's where Battle Resort Gentleman comes in. While you can use your favorites by all means, sometimes that's not enough. Some Pokemon are only as strong as their team and though you may make a team of all your favorites that doesn't mean they synergize well. There's a point where you have to go "all these are my favorites, but if I really want to win I'm going need to swap in some Pokemon who can add team synergy". You'd need a competitive Pokemon that can both support and be supported your favorite Pokemon, even if that means replacing another of your favorite Pokemon (It also doesn't hurt to try out new Pokemon and learning how to play them and get a feel for them. Who knows, maybe you'll even find a new appreciation or even favorite).

Karen and Battle Resort Gentleman both represent two extreme views, it's up to the player to either side with one they agree with or choose a middling option.
I choose to make most Pokemon a favorite. As much as I would love a team with Charizard, Bisharp, Eelektross, Lucario, and others... it doesn't synergize. But I still am not disappointed because I have so many favorites!

You do realize that the ORAS Gentleman isn't saying only use good Pokémon. Look again:
"It's one thing to enjoy leisurely battles, but real battles can be a severe trial. Truly strong Trainers sometimes must be prepared to choose Pokémon that can win rather than their favorite Pokémon."
He doesn't say only use good 'mons, but that there are times when your favorites simply aren't enough.

And that's why it is beautiful, I mean I would use Mega Steelix(loved Steelix, the mega is everything I love of Steelix made even better) Slowbro(Mega or not), Beheyem, Jellycent M, Tentacruel and Gengar, Skarmory, Scizor, Weavile, Darmanitan, Blastoise, Meganium, Sceptile, Infernape, Serperior, Delphox, Chesnaught, Staraptor, Talonflame, Yanmega, Starmie, Chandelure, Bronzong, Heatran, Scolipede, Mawile, Aerodactyl, Sableye, Metagross, Hippowdown, Gyarados, Tyranitar and Mega Diancie left and right if I had the choice. Those are great Pokémon niche wise and had great utility in ingame runs making me love them... Heck half of them are OU and boss at it.

But synergy is more important competitive wise. And I just realized that outside of Kyogre, Spheal, Chimecho registeel, and sharpedo I don't really dig the gen 3 designs, yes I mentioned around 4-5 of them top but I had to think hard on gen 3 stuff... I had to go all the way to remember those...and I love water types...

Last edited:
The thing that really kind of takes the wind out of Karen's line for me is that she says it right after you've beaten her team, often in a curbstomp given Johto's low difficulty curve. It doesn't come across as particularly philosophical to me, because the Elite Four (and the Gym Leaders for that matter) are almost exactly what that extreme side of Karen's speech represents: Trainers who specialize in using favorites over a well synergized team. And I just wiped the floor with 4 of them. This also comes after her rather smug opening line of

"I am Karen of the Elite Four. You're <player>? How amusing. I love Dark-type Pokémon. I'm known for my overpowering tactics. Think you can take them? Just try to entertain me. Let's go."

It's also a difference of setting that plays into it: Karen espouses this whole thing during the main game, which is designed to make it relatively easy to clear with cursory knowledge of the game mechanics, while ORAS Gentleman is in the Battle Maison, a setting dedicated to battling and nothing else. Karen's line seems like something that should've been said to Silver, who was being a jerk and valuing the strength over the Pokemon itself, not to the player who's one battle away from being the best in the country. For that matter, what if the strength is something people like about a mon? I know when I first played Gen 2 properly (HG back in 2009), one of the things that made me love a mon was because it was strong: besides his great design, I loved Gengar because of how easily he could play around things I fought with him, whether it was in game or with my friends. If I had played this when I was younger, it would have made me feel guilty for liking a Pokemon for being strong as a point.

And the thing that nails the coffin for me is that Karen's line is objectively wrong by this point in the franchise's lifespan: Favoritism aside, there are a number of cases where one Pokemon is objectively better than another whatever you want it to do: Pidgeot > Unfezant, Lilligant > Sunflora, Numerous joke mons compared to anything, and I'm sure people could name more. This isn't even with niche uses, there is outright nothing of value some mons can do that another cannot: What of value can Sunflora do that Lilligant cannot do better?

The Gentleman's line also doesn't outright call anyone out in making his point. Karen makes this point that "skilled" trainers will try to win with their favorites. In any kind of competitive game, whether it's a sport, e-sport, MOBA, Card Game, RPG, or something like Pokemon, part of skill is putting together a group that works well as a cohesive whole. There's always jokes about people who main Fox in competitive Smash Bros., but Fox and Falco still take skill to use at that level of play, they just happen to be the strongest character for a skilled player over someone like Yoshi or Ness. Similarly, no matter how skilled I am as a battler, Garchomp is going to objectively be a better Pokemon than Flygon for my team unless I need some very specific counter team niche. There is a fair degree of skill in managing to use your favorites in a manner that is competitive, but simply using them over a better option BECAUSE they are your favorite is not skillful, it's stubborn. I do think it takes a certain degree of resolve to step out of your favorite zone to use something that is more effective to win with when you're approaching battling as a competition.

So many people note the Pachirisu example from VGC. That example doesn't hold because I haven't seen proof that that mon was a favorite so much as an extremely specific combination of traits to Support his team (Follow Me + Volt Absorb, legal with Nuzzle and I think it had a Screen move). Pachirisu was used because it had an extremely specific set of skills that the rest of his team benefited from overall, rather than being capable of almost doing something another mon could do but better. And for how much anti-competitive people champion VGC as the "true" rule set over something like Smogon's for the "favoritism over viability" thing, they don't seem to have much to say on the infamous "C.H.A.L.K." trends that ran rampant, or the extreme usage of things like Primal Groudon with that rule amendment. Funny how everyone flocks to what works instead of seeing hundreds of "favorite" mon teams amongst all of VGC's competitors. Sometimes something works better to win, so excuse me if I want to play normally instead of handicapping myself to avoid being a supposed "try hard".

Maybe you read wrong my post, but I'll clarify. I don't despise (for example) the idea to have to cut trees to continue the game. I don't like the utility of some HMs i.e. Cut during the game, so I think there should be more "HMs compression".
In my opnion, the game should give you the HMs Strenght to move rocks and, after you complete a quest, Strenght can be used even to root up trees (replacing Cut) and to smash rocks (replacing Rock Smash).
Can I ask you a question? How much do you use Cut, Whirlpool, Dive in-game outside puzzles? Do you like to drop a moveslot for them?
Not a fan of compression, tbh. You don't use a screwdriver to do what a wrench does (yes I know multi-tools exist but they aren't as good at the job as the designed tool).

I drop moveslots for them and use them when a Pokemon is on low HP and I don't want to waste the PP of a better move. For example, I use Earthquake a wild Pokemon, knocks it to the red, instead of wasting a PP of EQ, I'll use Stregnth. Often I will build teams around HMs so I know I can go anywhere (this is more often when I haven't played a game before or haven't in ages).

Not a fan of compression, tbh. You don't use a screwdriver to do what a wrench does (yes I know multi-tools exist but they aren't as good at the job as the designed tool).

I drop moveslots for them and use them when a Pokemon is on low HP and I don't want to waste the PP of a better move. For example, I use Earthquake a wild Pokemon, knocks it to the red, instead of wasting a PP of EQ, I'll use Stregnth. Often I will build teams around HMs so I know I can go anywhere (this is more often when I haven't played a game before or haven't in ages).
The problem with that comparison I think is that you start getting a bit too specific with the moves for their purpose. Why do I need a move specifically dubbed "Cut" to slice the tree, when there are several moves involving near implicitly the same action (Fury Cutter, Slash, etc). For that matter, why is cutting the tree the only method by which I can destroy it? Why can't I have Diglett dig and uproot it, or Charmander burn it away? Or just knock it down with brute force?

For that matter some of the moves, particularly dealing with the boulders/rocks, are conceptually redundant. What does Strength really mean? The description is basically "Pokemon punches the opponent/boulder with maximum power". So I need this move for my Pokemon to focus its full Physical strength? Then why are there Physical (Normal) moves with higher BP? And there's a disconnect since my Pokemon can evidently punch this boulder harder enough to shove it 5 feet (and do this repeatedly), but for some reason I cannot move the cracked boulders and instead have to outright shatter them... which punching with my maximum strength is insufficient for compared to a "shattering punch" how?

And that's without getting into the fridge logic of teaching a Pokemon Fly despite it having a flying animation for the sprite/model, or having to teach a Pokemon found in the water to use Surf. And one of the questions I had even as a kid: why do I need an HM to circumvent most minor obstacles when I have Fly?: Why do I need to reverse the Whirlpool when I could just fly over it? Why do I need to Surf on the water instead of flying above it (Dive need in Hoenn or Unova not withstanding)? Why do I need to break or move this rock when I could fly over it? Why would I need to cut this tree when I can fly over it? Why do I need to "climb" this Waterfall or this rock line when I could fly to the top of it? Fly's restriction to Towns (and now specific points on every route) is a very gamey concept, since the Pokemon explicitly carries you to the location over any distance, so why do I need to hoof it for these other obstacles.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So how about another annoyance that is little: some League flavor stuff.

Why is the Indigo League the only one with a name not of its region? Like the anime did call the Johto League the "Silver League" (though since that's only one of the version names it probably would be named something else officially, like maybe something relating to metal), but that's only in the anime. Johto and future leagues use the region's name. And while that makes sense, Kanto League is still called the Indigo League still (even though it shares its league with Johto). And with some regions having theme naming I could see them doing it for other Leagues. For example:

Johto: Electrum League (Electrum is a metal that results from god and silver mixing).
Hoenn: Ever Grande League (first off Ever Grande City isn't even a city, it's just the League Building. So why not just call it the Ever Grande League? The anime even calls it the "Ever Grande Conference")
Sinnoh: Coronet League (considering how important Mt. Coronet is to the region might as well also name the league after it).
Unova: Congrestus League (Unova's city naming theme is cloud based so I named it after a cloud type. "Congestus" is a type of tall cumulus cloud. I combined it with "Congress" as the league is a gathering of the most powerful people in the region).
Kalos: Marseillaise League (Comes straight from "La Marseillaise", the national anthem of France. Also they named the Routes, but not the Pokemon League building?).

There, doesn't that sound more interesting than naming the league after the region its in?

There's a few things I want to discuss:

1. A small one, Janine takes her Gym Leader from her father. I feel she should have her own, especially since Koga's was "The Poisonous Ninja Master" and I don't think Janine is ninja master yet. Maybe something more like "The Poisonous Ninja Neophyte"?

2. Viola has the worst one. The title is suppose to be a quick summary of the Gym Leader, but Viola's is like an entire sentence! It's "The camerawoman who never lets a single smile escape her focus". Really? You couldn't find a way to shorten that? How about "The shutterbug who always snaps a smile". Not only does it get the point across but also gets in her Gym type in there. Though to be honest there's other Gym Leader's titles who I think could go through a shortening, maybe I'll do it later.

3. Why don't the Elite Four have titles? Like I can understand the Champion not having a title since, well, "The Champion" is their title. But the Elite Four? There's four of them and they also specialize in a type so I think they should deserve their own titles.

FUN FACT: Giovanni originally didn't have a Gym Leader Title until the Pokemon World Tournament in Black 2 & White 2.

Alrighty, I've got one. Tonight's topic is randomizers, and how nobody seems to really do them right.

Full randomizers are stupid. For one, I prefer Trainer classes to match overworld sprites, so the Lass I'm battling stays a Lass and doesn't turn into a Black Belt or something. Also, I personally think important characters should keep their aces--for ORAS, for example, have Steven's team be five whatever but keep the Mega Metagross. But that's just me.

The second thing about full randomizers is the inclusion of legendaries. And by that, of course, we mean the pixies or other-gen cover legends, which have a catch rate of 3. Imagine, early-game, that you run into a Uxie on your second or third route. You have no more than 10-15 regular Poke Balls at this point. Good luck.

"Oh, well, I'll just skip it," you say. But consider this: Most people you see randomizing tend to pair that experience with a Nuzlocke. Thus, any action that isn't chuck-your-balls and pray, or anything should that strategy fail, forfeits your encounter for that route. And considering that you could run into literally anything, putting your team in even more danger, not getting a Pokemon because the fates decreed your encounter was uncapturable can hurt.

If you're gonna randomize, at least think about it a bit.

Alrighty, I've got one. Tonight's topic is randomizers, and how nobody seems to really do them right.

Full randomizers are stupid. For one, I prefer Trainer classes to match overworld sprites, so the Lass I'm battling stays a Lass and doesn't turn into a Black Belt or something. Also, I personally think important characters should keep their aces--for ORAS, for example, have Steven's team be five whatever but keep the Mega Metagross. But that's just me.

The second thing about full randomizers is the inclusion of legendaries. And by that, of course, we mean the pixies or other-gen cover legends, which have a catch rate of 3. Imagine, early-game, that you run into a Uxie on your second or third route. You have no more than 10-15 regular Poke Balls at this point. Good luck.

"Oh, well, I'll just skip it," you say. But consider this: Most people you see randomizing tend to pair that experience with a Nuzlocke. Thus, any action that isn't chuck-your-balls and pray, or anything should that strategy fail, forfeits your encounter for that route. And considering that you could run into literally anything, putting your team in even more danger, not getting a Pokemon because the fates decreed your encounter was uncapturable can hurt.

If you're gonna randomize, at least think about it a bit.
I've actually have played randomizers and some of these are fixable. You don't have to randomize the opponent's 'mons (though it is all or none in that case) and you can set it to prevent you from encountering Legends outside of where you should encounter them.

When I play a pokemon game, I usually turn off the battles animations, in particular when leveling my team. They're awesome in the newer games, but they make the wild battles long. I only use them towards legendary pokemons (bar the ones which moves around the region). I am a pragmatic man.

I think that a lot of effort is put onto the battle animations instead of improving many other features of the game, i.e. the main plot of the games from the beginning to the League or the difficulty settings before the beginning of the adventure.

Last edited:
It's a little sad that GF figured out a way we can transfer Pokémon from Virtual Console RBY to Bank, but we can't trade Pokémon from the actual cartridges (and GSC) to the Virtual Console versions to transfer those as well.
This, though, is a bit different to my normal rants here. Most of the time I say things that GF could fix in the future, or flaws in the game that happened that really shouldn't have. This is something that, really, can't be fixed. The only way it could be is if GF or Nintendo or whatever released a piece of hardware for the specific purpose of trading between the original Gameboy and 3DS, and hence would in no way be commercially viable. It's a thing I kind of have to accept - I just wanted to say this because I'm kinda sad about it, I guess.

It doesn't matter to me. That ship has already sunk. Sucks if you replace the battery, and whatever new Pokémon you raise are stuck where they are.

To be honest, the only thing that really annoys me about Gen VI, which is really just something it didn't go far enough in fixing, is the heinous legendary IV system. While it's nice they've made it so that they all carry a minimum of three perfect IVs, setting it so that they could all only be 31s, 30s or 0 (or something to that effect) would finally remove the last hurdle to competitive battling, something they've clearly been trying to make easier. Three 31s does nothing in this regard except to decrease your odds while soft-resetting from something like 1:tens of thousands to 1:8,000. So we're still all using the same dozen clones or save-editing. That's an unreasonable barrier.

I suppose the same could be said for the difficulty of breeding if you don't have a 6 IV Ditto, which realistically doesn't exist. They really just need to fix those two things to make competitive battling wholly accessible for newcomers while still retaining the team-creation and RPG aspects.

Oh, I guess I also hate how absurdly easy the main playthrough is, but I'm of two minds on that, as it does allow you to more quickly get to the elements useful for competitive battling, which is the main draw for me now. If I were playing them as an RPG, though, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:
It's a little sad that GF figured out a way we can transfer Pokémon from Virtual Console RBY to Bank, but we can't trade Pokémon from the actual cartridges (and GSC) to the Virtual Console versions to transfer those as well.
This, though, is a bit different to my normal rants here. Most of the time I say things that GF could fix in the future, or flaws in the game that happened that really shouldn't have. This is something that, really, can't be fixed. The only way it could be is if GF or Nintendo or whatever released a piece of hardware for the specific purpose of trading between the original Gameboy and 3DS, and hence would in no way be commercially viable. It's a thing I kind of have to accept - I just wanted to say this because I'm kinda sad about it, I guess.
How the HECK is that going to work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)