ORAS Ubers Groundbreaking Ubers Team (and my 1k)

Hello! As you may or may not know, Fire Arceus is one of my favourite Pokemon. Naturally, I decided to build around it, and I destroyed many a poor soul with it. However, even after blazing through numerous foes, there was still one caveat: the team had never been tested against a particularly good player. Oops!

Enter Lord Outrage.

I was matched against Lord Outrage in an Ubers room tournament, and just as I was about to click 'Ready!' with an inferior team at the ready, I heard a little voice in the back of my head. While I do not remember exactly what it said, its command was something along the lines of 'Aurora! Here is your chance! Smite this fool with the D-rank Pokemon that is Fire Arceus! You can do it! Even though I am merely a manifestation of the insanity that underpins every individual that walks planet Earth, I support you in all your endeavours!'

Realising what a fool I had been to even think of using anything other than Fire Arceus against Lord Outrage, I immediately changed my team to my amazing Fire Arceus squad and commenced the battle. In an epic match that you can read about here and watch by clicking the second Fire Arceus in my signature, I defeated Lord Outrage and showed everybody the true power of Fire Arceus.

Without further ado, here is the team, sans Calm Mind Primal Kyogre, that I used to exact what was frankly a humiliating defeat upon someone who is arguably one of the titans of ORAS Ubers.

Arceus-Fire @ Flame Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

This is the Pokemon I built this team around: my favourite Uber. A Timid nature and max Speed lets it Speed tie with other max Speed Arceus formes in exchange for some power, while Special Attack is maximised as Fire Arceus appreciates as much power as is feasible. Calm Mind lets it sweep after a boost or two late-game once its checks (Ho-Oh and Primal Groudon in particular) have been eliminated. Judgement is used over Flamethrower because the lack of burn chance doesn't particularly matter and Flamethrower's power nerf means it is a worse option. Thunder helps wear down Kyogre and, to a lesser extent, Ho-Oh, while also coming with a neat 30% paralysis chance. Ice Beam OHKOes Salamence, wears down Latios and Latias without Roost, and chips Primal Groudon. I use it over Earth Power because giving Dragon Dance Salamence free turns is very, very dumb. Unfortunately, Fire Arceus greatly struggles with Ho-Oh, Primal Kyogre, Rock Arceus, and Primal Groudon, and it cannot do very much until all of those Pokemon are eliminated. The virulence of these Pokemon makes this a difficult task. Running maximum Speed also means I cannot invest in HP, which makes Fire Arceus worse at 'checking' Xerneas.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Ice Beam

This used to be Calm Mind Primal Kyogre, but after I realised how terrible it is and how stupid I was for running two Calm Minders that get smashed by Primal Groudon one way or another, I changed it to defensive Primal Kyogre. Defensive Primal Kyogre is capable of eliminating Ho-Oh (after Stealth Rock) and Primal Groudon with its rain-boosted Scalds. In particular, it can tank an Earthquake or two from support Primal Groudon and a Precipice Blades from Paradancer / Mixed Rock Polish variants of Primal Groudon pretty easily and either force them out or whack them with Scald, making life easier for Fire Arceus in the long run. It also absorbs sleep for this team, allowing it to take on Darkrai with some luck. This is useful if Mega Diancie has fainted. Speaking of Mega Diancie, this Kyogre happens to beat it easily. 16 Speed EVs let it outrun base 90s that run 12 Speed EVs or no Speed EVs at all.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Fire Arceus is intended to sweep late-game with Calm Mind. However, sometimes it finds itself coming in to do a bit of damage before switching out to the appropriate Pokemon. When hazards are up, Fire Arceus cries as it loses 25% of its health to Stealth Rock. This is where Latios comes in. As one of the two methods of ensuring my side of the field is clear of hazards, Latios does its job admirably. Since most Primal Groudon are Defog bait, Latios can come in on a predicted attempt to lay down Stealth Rock and, in most situations, either force them out (allowing it to use Defog) or smash them with Draco Meteor. Latios also lures in Xerneas that have not gotten the memo to run 0 HP / 200 Def spreads and 2HKOes them with Psyshock 99% of the time. It also cracks through Blissey, which this team doesn't like very much. A Modest nature is chosen for maximum power and allows Latios to still 2HKO 0 / 200 Xerneas more than half the time; a Timid nature almost never achieves this benchmark. 0 Attack IVs are to minimise Foul Play damage, while Special Attack and Speed are maximised to allow Latios to hit hard and fast. Roost grants Latios a form of reliable recovery, although it is hard-pressed for opportunities to use it.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Protect

Most teams in Ubers appreciate a Fairy-type, so Mega Diancie is my Fairy-type of choice. It also has the cool bonus of keeping Stealth Rock off the field once it has Mega Evolved, as not many people are game enough to risk Mega Diancie switching in and ruining their day should they attempt to lay entry hazards. It laughs at Darkrai attempting to use Dark Void, which would otherwise be annoying for this team (not even Primal Kyogre really appreciates being put to sleep), and helps Latios do its job by checking Dark- and Dragon-types in general: a particularly important trait given Latios's inferior Speed tier. Mega Diancie also bugs Ho-Oh and Lugia, which are annoying for this team, and deters Primal Groudon switch-ins with the threat of Earth Power.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Toxic

While Stealth Rock Ferrothorn is often looked down upon, I was kind of desperate for the hazard and I couldn't fit it anywhere else. Ferrothorn still sets it up well regardless. Besides this, Ferrothorn serves several purposes. Lugia cannot do anything to Ferrothorn; meanwhile, Ferrothorn saps away at its health with Leech Seed and Toxic and laughs at its weak Ice Beams. Ferrothorn is also a serviceable defensive check to Primal Kyogre when at maximum health. It also walls Primal Groudon without a Fire-type move (although, admittedly, these are very uncommon) and anti-leads Mega Diancie that do not run Hidden Power Fire by forcing it out with the threat of Gyro Ball. It also beats lead Deoxys-S and Deoxys-A with Gyro Ball; importantly, Deoxys-A's Superpower cannot break through Ferrothorn even with maximum investment if it is running a Focus Sash, while Ferrothorn can just whack it with Gyro Ball. While Ferrothorn adds another Ho-Oh-weak Pokemon to my team, Mega Diancie and Primal Kyogre deal with it well enough for me not to care all that much.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Whirlwind

Skarmory is a great physical wall that serves as this team's Extreme Killer Arceus counter. It also lays Spikes, phazes annoying set-up sweepers in a pinch when Sturdy is intact, and Toxics switch-ins. Without it, Extreme Killer Arceus cleaves through my team like a knife through butter. This is not appreciated. Skarmory also checks Swords Dance Ground Arceus, which this team is not very fond of, making it an extremely annoying last Pokemon. Basically, in a team that is somewhat lacking in physical bulk, Skarmory helps hold the fort. Simple, but effective.

This is also my 1000th post! Smogon has helped me through so much that, to be honest, I can't really fathom how I would have ended up without it. Through it, I've met many wonderful people, learned skills in communication / arguing / keeping 500-people chat rooms running smoothly / discipline, and finally found an outlet where I can express myself without fear of being persecuted. I feel it's been a more-than-worthwhile investment of my free time for the last four and a half years and I hope I can stick around for a few more xks.

Shoutouts (in no particular order):
(makeup)
Frizy - one of the first people I met on this site and fellow OCNer. Your honesty and experience across a variety of metagames is always appreciated in a pinch and you give great life advice. Excellent sense of humour. I hope I can come up and meet you and skylight some day!
Sweep - one of my closest friends on the site. Thank you for helping me get into both RU and Ubers; without your help and the help of others, I'd be as fucked as I was when I tried learning BW1 OU solo :x Always a great person to talk to, always willing to hear me out when I'm upset, angry, etc. I think the only good thing BW UU Dusclops ever did was help me bond with you over our shared hatred for it!
shrang - (makeup) medic. Another one of the first people I encountered here; pioneer of Rory soccer -_- Your Ubers trolls are funny as fuck and I can tell you care a lot about the Ubers room. Responsible for resurrecting my sometimes waning interest in medicine all the time. You're also very supportive; thank you for that.
jrp - offender :C You trigger me on a daily basis and your sinning makes me (pkuke). Besides this, though, you are a great person and hilarious guy who tells it like it is. I am glad to call you a friend, even if your Donald Trump fetish makes me want to cry in a dark corner sometimes.
Lasagne - weeaboo. Funny guy; you will get your badge someday :)!
(makeup) - our dear leader. Fabulous Jigglypuff main and good guy. You're a particularly pleasant person to talk to about LGBT issues (as are most of the people I know!)
antemortem - one of the people here I met on PokeCommunity. You're dedicated to your trade here and it's really showed through your rapid ascent through the ranks. Great person; it was fun modding the PC server with you while you were there. I am the last bastion :C
Raseri - dear leader of the really good reshirams. I admire your resolve amid the amount of shit you have had to deal with recently. It's inspiring. I subscribed to your YouTube channel! Thank you for saving Ubers.
shaymin - one of the reasons I have remained on PokeCommunity and a simply fabulous person to be around. Thank you for being there in my times of need. I will never use that disgusting emoticon unironically; sorry for disappointing you.
michael - thank you for helping me all those times when I royally fucked up various computer-related things. I know those incidents will probably have the long-term impact of causing your hair to grey a few weeks early, but I am eternally grateful. One of the best PS auth ever, king of OCN for a while. Your presence is sorely missed. Good luck with your Ph.D.!
Cherub Agent - ༼ つ c: ༽つ Your tacticat team offends even to this day. Good guy to be around; I wish I knew as many languages as you :(
SteelEdges - I hope everything is going well for you right now. You're a good-hearted person and really nice to talk to.
tennisace - shame the Tigers got knocked out. I like your dog
Sam - smart guy, dedicated to your tier. Durant did nothing wrong and it is perfectly fine to run Pokemon with neutral Speed natures in every situation -_- I think Manectric is even more broken in RU; don't worry.
Molk - despite your self-doubt, you're a gun tier leader. I wish you were around more often :(
TalkTakesTime - RIP your belongings. You were a good PS auth; your presence is missed although I understand why you left. I wish I could program like you or do maths in general at all!
Blitzamirin - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon master; made me realise I'm an idiot for chucking out my Hunger Seed. Oops. Saw you around on PO; you're a good PS auth.
Hugendugen - saved me from getting permabanned from the PO server in 2012. While I didn't exactly improve out of sight straight away you set me on the path to becoming a better user. Thank you for that. One of the PS staff I truly look up to.
atomicllamas - thank you for helping me get into RU! Much appreciated. Now I can make posts in the Viability Ranking thread that people acknowledge!
Arcticblast - not as offensive as jrp fortunately. Nice guy. You and jrp are like the yin and yang of offensiveness, keeping the balance.
Scotteh - don't know how you type legibly when you are inebriated but I guess that is something no one will be ever be able to comprehend. Very intelligent and good to talk to; astute knowledge of politics. I wish Scottish / British politics in general were less of a shambles too..
ryan - overall nice person. When you're on you really light up the chat. Excellent arguer / excellent at getting your point across. RIP Trucko :/
Imanalt - one of the few people involved with early PS staff remaining. Pleasantly honest and opinionated, and I now agree with you on certain American political matters now that I have touched a few economics textbooks.
Isa - I know you yell at me for retarded shit I say but I am glad to call you a friend. I actually like RBY now :O

(mmm)
Mambo - Mumbo
macle - I will come on Discord more often to see how Gone Froggin is going! I should probably pay more attention to that.
Quote - great to listen to when inebriated. You can talk the ears off animals with larger-than-average ears after sufficient consumption of alcohol!
P Squared - grammar queen. You are a really nice person and share my distaste for certain egregious linguistic infractions, which is always nice.
GatoDelFuego - slightly more offensive grammar monarch. cat of fire (cat)
GOAO - gooduser
Winry - another person I met on PokeCommunity. The last ever server driver :O I hope you're well!
Minus - usurper of the title of 'most recent person to get an account deleted so they could change their name' 9____9
Magnemite - I like you. Good PU player. No idea how you got 'meanest user' o_o
galbia - italiano. Well-versed at both PU and RU and jack of all trades as far as Smogon goes. You're good to be around.

#penis
skylight - I hope you and Frizy are well! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to a) be PC server staff and b) write in your Judge-A-Pokemon articles! I will get the two I have on standby done ASAP.
Coronis - fuck Jamie Whincup and his recent spike in pace. Thanks to you I now appreciate Fords a bit more, as well as certain Dunlop series drivers. ;o
Enguarde - I hope you're doing well in the world of medicine! Giant of a man, both physically and in terms of your excellence as a person.
Melee Mewtwo - another victim of Fire Arceus's greatness...

Ubers
Fireburn - One day, I will beat you in an Ubers match. Dedicated to your tier! Shame I am never on when you're in the Ubers room :( You do not appreciate the glory of Fire Arceus, sadly...
PoMMan - I love your accent. Good room auth. I think you'll go far.
absdaddy - RIP :( I miss you and your DPP Ubers skills.
SparksBlade - very friendly user who goes above and beyond in many cases. I will work out how the fuck you have my WhatsApp eventually!
soviet - TAONU alumnus. I like talking to you. You're a good room mod and good at the game when at your peak.
yohoE - meme king
Muk - g'day
polop - very very friendly user. Thanks for helping me get better at BW2! You're a very pleasant presence in the Ubers room and I hope you stick around.
dice - I like talking to you. Melanie Martinez is (ok)

PokeCommunity
I know not many of you, if any of you, will see this, but I figure I might as well put this here for posterity.
Castform - one of the reasons I've stayed on PokeCommunity all this time. Awesome server admin and person and great presence wherever you go.
wolf - very similar to Castform. You are such a dedicated and intelligent user and responsible for most of PokeCommunity's little server enhancements.
Zeffy - your bright presence during late-night OCN hours is sorely missed. I'm all alone now D:
Aslan - helped me with my research into raccoons! Another OCN auth I miss greatly :(
Anti - really good to talk to. Highly intelligent and very well-versed in Smogon's culture. Good to see you become more active soon!
Christos - spheal
Achromatic - I wish we could play Mario Kart together on a more regular basis! If only wolf's internet wasn't sourced from the rotten potatoes he keeps in the back of his cupboard.
Syndrome - enduring presence on the server. Your matter-of-fact yet easy-going nature is really cool and you have an excellent sense of humour.
Noa - good to talk to! You're a very bright presence and have an excellent Twitter account.
Lalapizzame - (worry) (worry) (worry)
Gimmepie - good user. Very smart; we seem to have a lot in common. I enjoy talking to you about our aweeeeesome political system.
Sopheria - we still need to play that RU battle! Good presence on the server. I hope you have been practicing Ubers!
Slate - ...

Miscellaneous
jdarden - a humble randbats voice that became one of the best PS auth I've seen. I hope you're doing well!
The Immortal - hi
Omfuga - Ubers don. We should probably talk more. I like your interesting teams and considerable Pokemon versatility!
Transcendent God Champion - I will definitely buy your book when it comes out!
Gangnam Style - very dedicated to IRC. I personally find you quite funny and easy-going. I should probably log onto IRC more...
elcheeso - thank you so much for hearing me out over the years. You have been a constant support base for me and I am so very thankful for that.
jumpluff - I have known you for a very long time. Thank you, too, for being so supportive and willing to listen to me. Your advice has been very helpful and I hope you know that you shine brightly in everything you do.
Minwu - helped me see that Sylveon is basically the Pokemon version of the trans flag! #downwith
chaos - >chaos
Snowflakes - the fact I did not tag you initially shows how far we have drifted. We should talk more
Joim - while I have disagreed with you in the past I hope we are on good terms now. I'm sorry for anything I may have done.
Cathy - thanks.
blarajan - birthday buddy :D

If I have forgotten anyone, I sincerely apologise. You still have a special place in my heart!

Last edited:
"16 Speed EVs let it outrun base 90s that run 12 Speed EVs or no Speed EVs at all."

glad that i'm not the only person who typically runs that speed creep benchmark. also nice job repping Toxic Ferrothorn, it's a cool move on it

the progress you've made in playing and teambuilding over the past 6 months or so is impressive, keep putting in work :D

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You're kind of 6-0ed by Focus Blast GeoXern and your Fireceus set isn't well suited to countering it. This can be fixed by ditching Ferrothorn for Primal Groudon and making Skarmory SpD so you still have something that can switch into Latis (sort of).

You could consider running Overheat > Judgment to chip down PDon faster while relying on BoltBeam coverage to sweep.

CM Ghostceus also kind of 6-0es but there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about this without using a different Arceus.

As far as Fireceus teams go this is pretty good, thanks for the shoutout n_n

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Aurora senpai noticed me <3.

B-baka you think we're not equals in bw2 ubers or something ;_;. I will only acknowledge you as such. This is a decent team though. A very interesting way to fix Fireburn's comment on being irritated without changing the team much at all is IMO to switch from CM Fireceus to SD fireceus with shadow force / eq or espeed / overheat. Shadow Force will one shot any CM Ghostceus, but the problem of getting it into play is hard :(. Its a suprisingly decent sweeper but I can understand why you'd have special feelings for your CM Fireceus :(.

Although without explicitly stating it, fireburn's suggestion of using specially defensive skarmory probably fixes the issue against CM Ghostceus as well:

+1 0 SpA Spooky Plate Arceus-Ghost Judgment vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 204-241 (61 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So you can switch Skarmory into it and given skarmory is healthy it should at least be able to get a toxic off which hopefully stops it :(.

Another interesting alternative is specially defensive primal donner with rest > Ferrothorn. You still have Stealth rocks on it and if it has roar it can delay xern / cm ghostceus. As you can see though you start running into a four moveslot syndrome about now (rest / roar / sr / prespice blades???) and I'm pretty sure your puking right now on how horrid this set looks :/.

These are of course only suggestions, and are optional and the best things I could come up with. I'm still pretty impressed you managed to build a team around fireceus in a manner that doesn't look like its directly outclassed by anything else :/.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)