Gen 1 Need Advice for First Competitive Team on Cartridge

Hey, this is my first post on this forum! Happy to get involved in the world of competitive, but please excuse the poor formatting.

Background:
So my friend and I have been battling on RBY about once every 2 years or so for 6 years. Huge rivalry. He's the Gary to my Ash. I never played past Gen 2, but he has been playing competitively since SS and HG, so I decided that this time would be different. I looked up the tier lists, did some research, and came up with the best team I can have given the availability of TMs and whatnot. Also, we are battling at level 50 instead of the standard level 100.

We battled earlier in the week with 5 level 30s. He underestimated me, I did my research, and I beat him 5 out of 6 matches. He will be back with a vengeance, and I need to be prepared.

After completing the game, I have ended up with 7 Pokemon from which to choose, a few of which I haven't decided on their moveset. I figured this was the best place to go to ask for advice.

MY TEAM:

Kadabra

Psychic
Recover
Thunderwave
Reflect / Seismic Toss

Raichu

Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Submission
Mega Punch / ???

Graveler

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Explosion
???

Lapras

Ice Beam
Thunder
Body Slam
Confuse Ray

Victreebel

Razor Leaf
Swords Dance
Sleep Powder
Wrap / Hyper Beam

Tauros

Blizzard
Earthquake
Body Slam
Hyper Beam

Exeggutor

Psychic
Explosion
Sleep Powder
Stun Spore / Double Edge / Mega Drain

AVAILABLE TMs
Seismic Toss, Mimic, Fire Blast, Fissure, Submission, Mega Kick, Reflect, Hyper Beam, Counter, Tri Attack, Horn Drill, Double Team, Toxic, Take Down, Rest, Mega Drain, Double Edge, Mega Punch, Substitute, Surf

QUESTIONS:
Which of these do I choose as my starting 6?
What moves do I pick where indicated uncertainty?
What strategies do I need to use when considering battling with this team?

Thank you all so much! I have enjoyed looking at this community, and hopefully I can enjoy being a part of it as well.

Edit: When we battled last, he had a Jolteon, Nidoking, Graveler, Machoke, and Gloom. I fully expect him to keep the Jolteon and have a Vileplume, and probably he'll keep the Graveler and Nidoking as well, but I'm not so sure about those. I know he likes Gengar, so Haunter might be his #5. Not sure about his last one. Could be the Machoke, could be something else. Thanks so much for any and all advice!

Last edited:

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello,

Since you can't have trade-evolved pokémon, I would suggest changing that Graveler for a Rhydon (Earthquake/Rock Slide/Body Slam/Substitute)
Also, generally speaking Raichu sucks. Why don't you just play Zapdos over it? With a mixture of Drill Peck/Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave, it seriously hinders his team. Maybe consider Agility as a 4th move, even though I don't remember how it learns it.
Stun Spore looks like the best option on Exegg's 4th move : Psychic already wrecks his team, so it would be a really nice addition.
Victreebel is a 'mon that requires a lot of support and late-game oriented team to be effective ; seeing your friend's team and yours, I would definitely go for Starmie over it.
I'd go Psychic/Recover for sure, and then depending on what you can learn it, maybe stuff like Blizzard/Hydro Pump.
About Kadabra, since your opponent has no reliable recovery move, go for Reflect in the last slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)