Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Why was the "introduce yourself" forum moves to closed forums? When I first joined up I could not find it, and only found it a few weeks ago through general browsing.

The main advantage Hoopa-C has over Hoopa-U is true neutral coverage with just ghost STAB + focus blast, meaning is does any set involving only two attacks (e.g. Sub+NP) arguably better than Hoopa-U, and since Chansey can't touch it if it's behind a sub, it can set up freely on it. Also, it technically does OTR sets better due to lower speed, but TR tends to be a mixed bag to use.

The real disadvantage is the speed, as it can be outrun more commonly by even defensive pokemon, since base 70 isn't terribly hard to creep for like the base 100s. The typing usually doesn't help either, since it means it can't ever take a sucker, pursuit, or knock off, and it's honestly a fairly terrible spinblocker, since exca actually outruns and does a crapton of damage to it, and offensive Starmie outspeeds and can 2hko, meaning it can't switch in to block a spin without risking dying. It can block defensive Starmie, and I guess like tenta.

Furthermore, due to both the lower attack and lack of a particularly spammable STAB move, (phantom force's set up turn does it no favors, and zen headbutt isn't great neutral coverage) it doesn't do physical or mixed sets very well.

Im trying to make a sand team around mega chomp. What are a few good core that are non sand that complement mchomp/ttar/exa
u need some anti grass / wter shit, so i suggest running moongus. the regen core is nice and covers a shit ton of tars weaknesses (water, grass, fighting, fairy). also rotom wash, to counter ice types which ur weak to.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The main advantage Hoopa-C has over Hoopa-U is true neutral coverage with just ghost STAB + focus blast, meaning is does any set involving only two attacks (e.g. Sub+NP) arguably better than Hoopa-U, and since Chansey can't touch it if it's behind a sub, it can set up freely on it. Also, it technically does OTR sets better due to lower speed, but TR tends to be a mixed bag to use.

The real disadvantage is the speed, as it can be outrun more commonly by even defensive pokemon, since base 70 isn't terribly hard to creep for like the base 100s. The typing usually doesn't help either, since it means it can't ever take a sucker, pursuit, or knock off, and it's honestly a fairly terrible spinblocker, since exca actually outruns and does a crapton of damage to it, and offensive Starmie outspeeds and can 2hko, meaning it can't switch in to block a spin without risking dying. It can block defensive Starmie, and I guess like tenta.

Furthermore, due to both the lower attack and lack of a particularly spammable STAB move, (phantom force's set up turn does it no favors, and zen headbutt isn't great neutral coverage) it doesn't do physical or mixed sets very well.
they were talking about hoopa c over gengar

When sun and Moon hit how are we handling tiers this time around? Are we going to have a set banlist of clearly broken mons or test the waters.

Just curious

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
When sun and Moon hit how are we handling tiers this time around? Are we going to have a set banlist of clearly broken mons or test the waters.

Just curious
who knows, but if it's like xy, everything will be allowed for some time (especially if there's no official tournament to be coming soon) and a bunch of quick bans will occur prior to the classic tiering process you're familiar with

oususpecttest163584.5%1822 ± 54

I'm rank 9 on the suspect ladder and have never gotten reqs before. I'm 36-5 but only at 2535 coil. I don't know how GXE works but about what kind of record do I need to get for reqs? It seems unfair that I'm trying to get it at the top 10 while others have it at rank 300.

Sorry I'm going to ask this one more time: Why was the "introduce yourself" and newcomers forum moved to cold storage? Seems odd to me.

oususpecttest163584.5%1822 ± 54

I'm rank 9 on the suspect ladder and have never gotten reqs before. I'm 36-5 but only at 2535 coil. I don't know how GXE works but about what kind of record do I need to get for reqs? It seems unfair that I'm trying to get it at the top 10 while others have it at rank 300.
Hi Kioskate, I know I'm not a mod but I think I can help. With COIL, from my understanding, you need to play a certain amount of games relative to your GXE in order to achieve reqs. With a GXE of 90%, you need 50 games to req; a GXE of 80% requires 70 games; and for ~70% GXE, you need 85 games.

Looking at the graph, the red function denotes 2700 coil, N=games played and you know what GXE is. Seeing how you have ~85% GXE, you will need to play about 55-60 games to achieve 2700 COIL. I believe that COIL was organized in this way in order to avoid someone playing 10 games and having 90% GXE, for example, and being able to req. I hope this helps.

Azelf is a decent lead off mon to choose as it can get around Mega Sableye with skill swap or Dazzling Gleam. After that... Honestly, just add some setup sweepers like Feraligatr and Thurderus and you should be okay. You probably don't want any mons that are extremely reliant on hazards being off the field to function, as almost every turn should be spent either attacking or setting up.

There are definately better people to answer this, though, as I'm not a particularly avid HO player.

I'm trying to build a new HO team. What are some of the best HO mons to consider in OU??
I'm not lying when I say Bulky Offense is the best offense.

Anyways, usually the things that come off the top of your head works ez pz. Think Garchomp, Feraligatr, Mega Gyarados (good asf since it's bulk is a godsend), Thundurus, Mega Manectric, Gengar, Bisharp, Klefki for Spikes, etc.

Tbh I wouldn't use a Suicide Lead at all since you can just use Defensive SD Lando or SD Chomp as a very functional lead, then you've got other things that work too I guess like Azelf with HP Steel or Dazz Gleam / SR / Explo / Fblast

what's a mon that checks darks (including sab) that doesn't get body bagged by megazam?
Off the top of my head:
SpD Gliscor, CM Mega Sableye, SD Mega Absol, Talonflame, SpD Excadrill, Sub DD Mega Gyarados (need to hope Sabs don't have Foul Play)

EDIT: Clef maybe, Mega Scizor loses to Mega Eye because of burn, same issue with Mega Sharpedo

I've only ever played doubles competitively (when I started, I was mostly interested in the gimmicks... I was young). I wasn't interested and singles until about a year ago. However, every time I give it a try, I always find myself not knowing how to build a team (I usually just put "good stuff" plus defogger on a team) and not knowing what to do in a battle (and therefore losing a lot). As someone who has never played singles competitively, what would you advise me?

I've only ever played doubles competitively (when I started, I was mostly interested in the gimmicks... I was young). I wasn't interested and singles until about a year ago. However, every time I give it a try, I always find myself not knowing how to build a team (I usually just put "good stuff" plus defogger on a team) and not knowing what to do in a battle (and therefore losing a lot). As someone who has never played singles competitively, what would you advise me?
read this guide and if you still need help just post on my wall

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teambuilding-guide.3552468/

Ok so on an offensive OU Cofagrigus with Shadow Ball, Will O Wisp, Nasty Plot, and Trick Room, what's a possible alternative held item besides Leftovers? They aren't bad, but I would like to possible know other options.

Ok so on an offensive OU Cofagrigus with Shadow Ball, Will O Wisp, Nasty Plot, and Trick Room, what's a possible alternative held item besides Leftovers? They aren't bad, but I would like to possible know other options.
Spooky Plate works if recoil from LO isn't your thing

Besides spooky plate and life orb, colbur berry is an option, although uncommon

Why does Unaware Clefable run 248 HP/ 252+ Def/ 8 SpD instead of the same spread as the Magic Guard variant: 252 HP/ 172 Def/ 84+ SpD?

Why isn't it standard for Clefable to run less than 31 IV Speed to avoid the 2HKO from Ferrothorn and so can use Ferro as setup fodder? I'm thinking 12 IV to outspeed Chansey so it can't Seismic Toss you at low while avoid the 2HKO from Ferrothorn Gyro Ball most of the times

Why does Unaware Clefable run 248 HP/ 252+ Def/ 8 SpD instead of the same spread as the Magic Guard variant: 252 HP/ 172 Def/ 84+ SpD?

Why isn't it standard for Clefable to run less than 31 IV Speed to avoid the 2HKO from Ferrothorn and so can use Ferro as setup fodder? I'm thinking 12 IV to outspeed Chansey so it can't Seismic Toss you at low while avoid the 2HKO from Ferrothorn Gyro Ball most of the times
i don't know man, i've been preaching that philosophy myself

it's pretty subjective to whose using the clefable, but seeing how thunder wave is usually the 4th move and not flamethrower anymore, but iirc there was a sassy / relaxed one somewhere around the forums. lurk and you'll probably find it.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Max Defense is used on Unaware Clefable to check setup sweepers such as SD Garchomp, CM Latios, and SD Lando-T as good as possible. The standard 172 / 84+ spread is sometimes used on Unaware Clefable in stall-orientated teams because it makes Clefable a great check to Manaphy and Thundurus. You can also use that spread on balance, especially because NP Thundurus can be a pain to deal with, but I prefer max defense because I find SD Lando-T SD Garchomp and CM Latios bigger issues due to their current popularity.

21 IVs and a - Spe nature is enough for Clefable to avoid the 2HKO from Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball. I wouldn't recommend it because you fail to outspeed base 50's, Mixed Tyranitar and Conkeldurr, as well as always being outsped by base 60's. Gyro Ball also isn't the most difficult move to outstall and Ferrothorn already loses to Fire-Coverage, so only if you really want to use it as setupfodder the - Spe spread should be used. CM Thunder Wave shouldn't run - Spe / 21 IVs for pretty obvious reasons, but sets like CM BoltBeam don't lose much from it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)