What is battling to you?

i'm sort of new here and as silly and cringe worthy as this sounds, what is battling to you?

some say its all about the mind games, for me its all about hoarding all advantages i can get, for that reason i use weather teams in conjunction with weather related pokemon/abilities. my favorite weather team has to be DOU sandstorm, set up a stealth rock and sandstorm and every turn and switch in becomes detrimental, especially for popular fire (charizard y, arcanine) and flying mons (talonflame). just literally erode other team to death with sheer bulk, since my team isn't to fast outside of my scarf u-turners landos and genesect.

hard to answer. this probably doesnt make any sense, but for me it's the sort of "dance" between players as they press their advantages and try to outplay each other in the early to midgame. this always breaks down as one player gains a large enough advantage that he's just trying to play safe, and the other player is grasping at straws, trying to hyper-read his opponent or looking for a lucky roll, so its what happens before this that is most interesting to me.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hashtag's answer is solid. i sometimes view it as a proving ground to determine who built the stronger team as well. i like the term dance to describe battling quite a bit, as there's a lot of trading of resources going on, and a lot of positioning to get yourself in a better position to trade resources (usually damage, pp isn't usually relevant, especially in doubles. other resources are rng dependent ones like protect counters, while some are more abstract and harder to quantify like board position).

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Battling is life

It's played like a chess match but prepared for like an art. You get the best of both. First you get to use your own creativity (don't use samples) then you have to execute it.

Unfortunately luck interferes too often in this game

don't quite agree with what Hashtag said. "Outplaying" kinda has the same annotation as "predicting" to me, implying guessing and therefore randomness. I prefer "positioning", which is probably what you meant anyway. I want to put myself in a situation where I can finish the game without needing to take too much risks (also known as predicting) and where I'm able to dictate the pace of the game. I can't deny you can't always avoid taking some risks, that's just part of the game, I don't want to put myself in positions where I need to make "hard reads" or however you want to call it in order to even have a shot at winning the game, especially not early on. This obviously already starts in teambuilding and is why I love 'mons helping me to have the controll over the game and why I'd never use Focus Blast, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump etc. I'm not playing lottery, I want to win as propabal as possible. In other words: the more I have to blame "hax" for me losing, the less I'm capable of keeping the controll over the game.
All this is relative to a certain extent. Chances are part of the game, you can never keep them completely out of the game and I'm totally aware of that. The teambuilding part is the minor one of my explanation anyway.

Battling is all about massive breedng, training, math, and effort, all for the sole purpose of watching it burn as you miss every possible hit, and eat a critical Draco Meteor in response, all at the perfect moment.
It's all about luck management: Knowing that you have an approximately 95% chance of winning, and knowing that 5% is simply too great of a gamble.
It's all about losing 7 matches straight to these 5% or lower chance situations.

But mostly, it's about "why the fuck have I played this for 20 years"
That is what battle means to me. Watching the virtually impossible unfold before your eyes, on an impossibly regular basis. And merely observing how creative and all-consuming dumbshit luck can be.

Sorry Arcticblast, I couldn't help myself. :s

Anyway, here goes:

To me, Pokemon and battling is like a language. This may sound very bizarre to most people, but hear me out.

While nowadays I'm less known, back in the BW and early XY era I got many opportunities to perform in top level play (including one SPL; the first to feature Doubles OU as a format). After these experiences, I really dropped off the radar due to the pressure I personally felt to keep winning; as in my mind not doing so meant I wasn't representing my community and was letting it down. I eventually just had to leave due to how hard it was for me to keep going with this twisted mindset. Only recently have I come back, and to tell the truth its still tough to handle the pressure sometimes.

While on my hiatus (if that's what you want to call it), I needed a different mindset, one I got from a friend of mine who happened to play VGC. We started hanging out a lot and I personally was really happy to see someone who just enjoyed playing the game. The competitive spirit was definitely still there mind you, but at the same time we loved sharing ideas and reasoning as to why we did what we did. It really started to grow on me that the logic and decision-making were simply a way of communicating and interacting. At the end of the day, the decisions we make help to define who we are as pokemon trainers. None of us is truly the same, we all think and feel differently about different ideas and topics. And if I took anything away from this, its that this uniqueness is something to be respected and appreciated.

In this way I find battling very similar to speaking a language. It's not something that comes naturally (though I am sure many of us have a talent for many aspects of battling), it is something you learn and master over time, with practice. Additionally, we don't all speak it the same way, similar to how many languages have different sub-accents and phrases in different areas. And most importantly, it is definitely a way we express ourselves and our thoughts to each-other. This is a very broad way of looking at it, so maybe this all just flew past you, but this is the mindset I myself have adopted. It really helps me to not feel quite as pressured when pressed with a challenge, and really just savor the moment.

Now, when we take a look into the whole "dance" concept that Hashtag provided, looking at it with the "language" comparison makes a bit more sense (to me at least). What we are really doing at those higher levels of play is having this kind of "conversation" with each-other. The opponent obviously isn't just telling you something extreme, like "imma switch out now", but each turn that goes by they are communicating their mindset to you, and this by extension can help you gain a sense of what their next move may be. Now if you want to call it "prediction" or whatever, but in all honesty it's much more like an inference. At the same time, you know the opponent is also making observations and inferences, and this leads to the aspect Lohgock was describing. Inferences, while based on fact, are not truly fact themselves, leading one to want to avoid them when and wherever possible in favor of a more reliable play that covers more options in exchange for less of a reward. The issue here is that you need an advantage over the opponent before making these sorts of trade-offs would lead to a winning situation for you. In this sense its about scouting out what your opponent is doing to try and gain information, and from here you will usually use this information to get a sense of how the opposition is playing. At whatever point you feel like you have that sort of intuitive grasp on an opponent's mindset, you will start making those inferences. From there it's about getting a good enough advantage so that those safe and reliable plays can grind you out to a win.

At the end of the day though, everyone views and plays the game differently. And I think that is what makes "what is battling to you?" such a hard question to answer, as it really means something different to every individual.

To be honest, battling can be categorized in many ways such that they fulfill many different reasons. Whatever the definition, it is the summary of acquired knowledge and the dedication of one's dreams being put to the test. In this case, Pokemon battling is a summary of the strategies and skills a player learns in-game or from other players which is being tested through dueling other players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)