Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Have any of you guys thrown together a good midrange Shaman decklist? There seems to be quite a few varieties (one that's more aggro, one that's more control and a Midrange Totem deck).

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First thoughts since the expansion:

C'thun and Yogg decks seem pretty weak. I'll wait till the refinement of C'thun Warrior and see how it stands but at the moment you're just playing shit minions for a chance at a finisher.

I do like how mid-range shaman feels. It's zoo-esque but with a bit more power behind it.

I think the Rouge deathrattle deck is going to be top tier. Nzoth is the least RNG old god.

I need to figure out Blood Warriors that card is too good to pass up.

I over hyped Tentacles For Arms, it was very disappointing.

Evolve is a shit card. If you're in a board state that it's good then Bloodlust is better.

Edit
At the present moment the new Hogger seems like the best legendary this set

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So far Standard seems completely centralized around C'thun with the occassional Yogg Saron mage and midrange shaman and its a pretty boring meta. Pretty sure this will change once everyone tried out their new toys but its quite monotone at the moment. It's kind of annoying that the old gods are all RNG-based but it does create some hilarious situations, especially with Yogg Saron.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't think they're weak @THEBOYWONDER, if anything C'Thun seems pretty damn strong to me so far. Hardly different than any other tribe, you've a mix of vanilla-at-worst minions and a couple nice perks for staying true to it. The four-drop Divine Shield is, well, I don't think it's the new Shredder like some people have called it but it's competitive. Spider Tank 2.0 is fine, pewpew guy is sometimes better sometimes worse than Argent Horserider which has proven to be quite playable. The two-drop is vanilla and the five-drop is Fen Creeper but it's still a very respectable curve that also pumps C'Thun up +5/+5 or more, and you only need plus-four (10+ Attack) to turn on the really good shit like Twin Emps and Warrior/Druid's godly minions. Then there's C'Thun itself.

Yogg, yeah it's net positive but perhaps too unreliable. That said, it seems to slot in just fine to decks that are already spell-heavy, particularly Tempo Mage and Miracle Rogue, without being a particular focal point of the deck and just being a nice alternative finisher. Yogg is sorta like Antonidas in a way, except class-neutral and you're allowed (encouraged even) to cast your spells in advance of dropping it. On which note, Miracoli seems like it could be making a comeback with additional spell-producing shit and the Owl/BGH nerfs bringing Cleef back into relevancy. I did get hossed by an N'Zoth once too though, I'm interested in seeing more of that develop whether Rogue or otherwise.

New Hogger isn't even better than old Hogger. New Mukla I thought was bad at first, but I realized it's sorta like Toshley except you lose two ass for better "spare parts" (and get both on Battlecry instead of one on Deathrattle). Could be something in the same decks that like Yogg, aka the ones I mentioned above. I don't know why you thought Tentacles for Arms would be good? It's nothing more than a Fatigue Warrior mirror tool for chipping down armor. Will real, actual Fatigue Warrior even work anymore? I feel like C'Thun Warrior will push it to the wayside, if for nothing but Ancient Shieldbearer being a Super Shieldmaiden and C'Thun itself is basically a double Pyroblast even if it just gets Executed. That'll probably get you ahead in the Armor race more than TFA will anyway.

I'm liking the new look of Flood Zoo. Puggy convinced me to try Darkshire Councilman, turns out it's preeeeeeetty gooooooooood, but Forbidden Ritual is easily the best card of its cycle and even Possessed Villager is a welcome additional one-drop to the Warlock crew, what with most of the other sticky minions going away because NAXX OUT
. If you don't run away with the game on the opener as Zoo is often wont to do, you get some huge Turns 4-6 swing opportunities with Ritual repopulating your weakened board or turning on 5/5 Reliquary Seekers and 0-2 mana Sea Giants.

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think C'Thun Druid is probably the only viable C'Thun deck because a) it has the ability to ramp out Twilight Elder which is really strong, and b) it actually has genuinely good minions like Klaxxi Amber Weaver and the 5/7 taunt. Still, you notice how weak a lot of the cards in the deck are. When I was playing Midrange Shaman I was just smashing C'Thun druid before turn 10 by virtue of just having much, much better minions. It might be better against slower, weaker decks but it still seems a little underwhelming. Definitely better than the rest of the C'Thun decks though. N'Zoth Rogue and Paladin both seem very legit because they can actually play good minions to support their finisher. Midrange Shaman, N'Zoth Rogue and possibly Freeze Mage since although I haven't seen it it seems like it'd beat most of these decks, seem like the best decks for now.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
decided to try the whole irc channel thing again, this time its #skillstone named after Mr.E

figured itd be a good time due to TOG coming out

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright got a late Legend (FeelsBadMan) but I hit Legend for my first time in standard which I think calls for a post!

It was a climb from 2 to 1 so I'm not sure how much that means but here is the list I used:

It feels really consistent and I'm pretty happy with the end result. You have five answers to Cthun, the fifth being Hogger meaning they cannot drop Cthun on 10 without worry allowing you to really set up a N'Zoth if you're behind. It's a pretty straight-forward list but if I had to give suggestions is that it's weakness generally is formed when there is no way for you to get board. I mulligan away anything that isn't 3 or lower pretty much right away unless it's a Truesilver. Doomsayer is a weird keep that I like against Shaman and Hunter, but the new DR Hunter is slower anyway so I don't know if I think it's 100% against that.

Well there you are!

in a rush but nzoth best card in the set and i like wild more than standard right now. playing nzoth rogue in wild and its fun as fuck but priests are annoying as fuck in wild :(

Alright so I just made my own midrange Shaman deck. I'm trying to make it less budget as well.

- Replace Ooze with Flame Juggler (thanks rem)
- Replace Yeti with Master of Evolution
- Replace Senjin with Thing From Below
- Fit in Eternal Sentinel somewhere (maybe over one of the Flametongues?)
- Fit in Al'Akir somewhere (might take a while)

Anything else? Second Mana Tide maybe? Also since I'm aiming for Al'Akir maybe I should consider a 7 drop because Midrange Mana Curve

Last edited:

Matthew

New Hogger for seven drop and consider rag for another end game drop. Drop the flametongues entirely when you get two sentinels, you're playing things way above curve, you're not going to need to value trade.

Once you have the sentinels consider Destruction over Storm as it's a great board clear that has an easy time of clearing the Overload. Consider Earth Ele over Ogre.

So as someone who's interested in making a C'thun deck...which class plays it the best? Mage seems more built for Yogg, and Rogue seems to like N'Zoth, so which does best with C'thun? Or does it not matter as much since at face value, the main goal is to just spam his worshippers to buff him and then lay him out when you finally draw him for massive damage?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I've been hearing that Warrior and Druid are great for C'thun, although RODAN has been playing a C'thun Mage deck with relatively positive success.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
control warrior with the 2/1 that does 2 dmg as a battle cry and the 4/2 with divine shield + twin emps / ancient shieldbearer and brann on the side + the control warrior shell = good deck. running the bare minimum and the best objective c'thun buff cards just to trigger the +10 buffs on your broken ass cards and only really losing death's bite makes this a pretty damn strong deck. unfortunately a lot of people are running stupid enormous greedy ass c'thun druids which kinda suck because I de'd both my bghs lol and this deck would probably still run 1. oh well time to recraft

Matthew

I'm still here to set the only good cthun deck is the Warrior one. Druid lacks removal and runs out of steam. The others are trash.

i actually rly like the look of that deck.

also nzoth pally is really good too. i've been playing with a nzoth reno pally list and it's really strong.

c'thun warrior seems bad to me but i haven't played with it and haven't seen it in action a ton so idk maybe i'm wrong. c'thun rogue has to work but my sloppy build of it was awful. i'm gonna tinker with it again sometime.

Thanks for the help guys. Turns out when you dust stuff you don't use you can afford to craft quite a lot of things.

I'm interested in Lightning Bolt and Tunnel Trogg as well and I've been convinced new Hogger is a good card so there you go. That would replace the Ogre.

Guess I'll look more at that C'thun mage deck RODAN posted, mostly because I play Mage when I'm not playing Rogue (and I can't think of any good rogue decks to play atm, I miss Miracle Rogue and I only have enough dust to craft 1 legendary atm which looks like it'll be going to the Twin Emperor, the rest of my legendaries I've drawn all suck ass pretty much besides Antonidas in mage). Though if anyone has a warrior shell for C'thun so I can check and see if I have the stuff to run it, that'd be cool; probably not but never hurts to see.

Also is it just me or did anyone else get 800 dust just to DE a golden goblin sapper or whatever that 2 drop card was where it tosses dynamite and got nerfed? Was a pleasant surprise considering I already had 2 normal ones and it's not like the gold crap does anything for me, could have sworn I'd only get 100 dust before. Arcane Golems are next on my list to DE, without charge they're just pure crap, why would I ever give my opponent free mana for a now very crappy 4 drop? WTB more brains Blizz, at least don't make it utterly useless when you nerf stuff...

Matthew

I could never let one of my favorite decks die, so I've been really pushing Patron right now. The deck has its flaws, with chances of being overrrun without getting your Whirlwinds and WW effects and I'll be honest the loss of Bite really fucking hurts, being more greedy with weapon swings really fucks tempo.

That being said with the slower metagame and lack of removal generally present making two or three Patrons means you're in a solid position to win the game straight up. Also Frothing is more likely to stick to a board. I've won games on a turn three Frothing into Ghoul. It did well on Legend (3000 to 700) and has carried me to rank 12 right now from 15 on a huge win-streak early season (which should actually mean it's a good deck). If you want to give it a try here is the list:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I'm liking this idea. I may actually run this now since the deck doesn't seem too bad. What's Sir Finley there for? Mage tap or Warlock Tap?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)