Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on the possibilities a poison/fire typing would get as a pivot, but we never had a defensive Fire type starter, what if his final evolution happened to be? With like 80/90/100 bulk.

Here's something I noticed about the boxart design. Remember how disappointing April's CoroCoro turned out to be, not giving us any information whatsoever? Here's the picture of the boxart of Sun we got back then.

And here's the picture we have now, of the real thing:

Notice anything weird? Namely, in the one part you can see in the CoroCoro? That's right, something's missing, and I'm not talking about the green 7. Where's Solgaleo's foot? In the CoroCoro, we can see an area roughly 1/3 of the box height and 1/3 of the width. Meanwhile, Solgaleo's foot can't be more than 20% from the bottom left corner of the box, so it should be clearly visible in the washed out CoroCoro version. In other words... CoroCoro wasn't just trolling us with the "lens flash ruining the picture" (ignoring the fact that the streaks of light don't match up at all with a camera flash); the boxes themselves were total BS. Now, if you look, there is indeed something in that position in the CoroCoro boxart, but its colours don't match Solgaleo's foot at all. I'd wager that's a part of the Japanese logo we saw.

Now, if I may be allowed a bit of speculation for the games themselves, I suspect that the evil team (if we get one again, which I really hope we don't) plans to harness the respective box legend to create eternal day/night. Alternatively, they could do something like in BW where they capture the opposite game's legend to wreck the day/night cycle, and then you have to catch your one to balance it.

I really hope they don't, though. I miss the days of box legends having a catch rate of 3 and a dungeon to go through to catch them. No, Team Flare's HQ doesn't count.

EDIT: Found a better picture of the CoroCoro

Last edited:
Here's something I noticed about the boxart design. Remember how disappointing April's CoroCoro turned out to be, not giving us any information whatsoever? Here's the picture of the boxart of Sun we got back then.

And here's the picture we have now, of the real thing:

Notice anything weird? Namely, in the one part you can see in the CoroCoro? That's right, something's missing, and I'm not talking about the green 7. Where's Solgaleo's foot? In the CoroCoro, we can see an area roughly 1/3 of the box height and 1/3 of the width. Meanwhile, Solgaleo's foot can't be more than 20% from the bottom left corner of the box, so it should be clearly visible in the washed out CoroCoro version. In other words... CoroCoro wasn't just trolling us with the "lens flash ruining the picture" (ignoring the fact that the streaks of light don't match up at all with a camera flash); the boxes themselves were total BS. Now, if you look, there is indeed something in that position in the CoroCoro boxart, but its colours don't match Solgaleo's foot at all. I'd wager that's a part of the Japanese logo we saw.

Now, if I may be allowed a bit of speculation for the games themselves, I suspect that the evil team (if we get one again, which I really hope we don't) plans to harness the respective box legend to create eternal day/night. Alternatively, they could do something like in BW where they capture the opposite game's legend to wreck the day/night cycle, and then you have to catch your one to balance it.

I really hope they don't, though. I miss the days of box legends having a catch rate of 3 and a dungeon to go through to catch them. No, Team Flare's HQ doesn't count.

EDIT: Found a better picture of the CoroCoro
The Japanese box art has Solgaleo in a different spot. You can see part of the japanese logo towards the bottom... With Solgaleo's foot sticking out from under it, about where the third character is. Then if you look above the logo you can kinda make out the tail.

Edit2:
Agreed on the possibilities a poison/fire typing would get as a pivot, but we never had a defensive Fire type starter, what if his final evolution happened to be? With like 80/90/100 bulk.
Thing is, all previous feline pokemon have a few things in common stat-wise: weaker defenses, above 100 speed, and a leaning towards physical attacks (pyroar being the exception to the last one.) Perhaps piviot is the wrong term then? It definitely is a typing with switch-in potential though.

Last edited:
I'm keeping my expectations set to absolute low. We MIGHT get something big, or it might just be a whole lot of hot air, and nothing special.

At the very LEAST, give us the actual box art covers and MAYBE the starters and Legendary information. That's all I'd like to see.
I love it when what we get is EXACTLY what i predicted. Though, the atmosphere of the region (Dem tropics) is nice...

A Grass/Flying starter right out the gate? I guess they really wanted to give the grass starter as much viability as the other two, instead of being the inferior option...

Now that I think of it...

- Rowlet somehow reminds me of matryoshka dolls. Could it be because of its shape?
- Why does Litten make me think of one of those cats that appeared in, IRRC, Sailor Moon?

All of you guys being bitches to Litten now(seriously though don't be a jerk) just wait till it has swift swim. You know with it being a tiger and all and tigers love swimming and it having 120 base attack with sucker punch. Seriously though That's how I want this thing to turn out a Fire-Dark tiger with a bunch of priority attacks with decent HP. If this thing gets explosion(since it's covered in oil), with a custap berry it can be priority ammo glass canon that blows it self up. Okay enough about Litten, Popplio looks like it will be a hp centered Wobbuffet-ish mon with more viability. As for Rowlet its going to be a fast special attacker that can take out maybe one or two of your opponents mons. I'm still picking Popplio though cause I love its design:heart:.

Okay, but who didn't see the Sun legendary being a lion? Lions representing the sun is soooo overdone. Not that I don't like the design. it's freakin' awesome. But come on now. Digimon Dawn had the Coronamon line for the mascot and THAT was based on a lion...

Outside of that, hoooly shit am I excited for these games. I'm so glad we have a cool region this time and the starters are pretty cute. Rowlet is probably my favorite of the three, but I'm probably picking Litten because I've always chosen the Fire starter. I'm expecting we'll get a little more info in Corocoro in the next day or so. Maybe a basic first route pokemon? (I don't wanna get my hopes up that much tho)

Flight Rising Pokemon discussion people have also noticed another thing. Litten's tail seems to be rather sharp, and they're taking it as a possibility of it becoming a chimera or manticore. Both of which would be pretty awesome, but I honestly see it as just a bit of tail floof.

I don't know about you guys, but I think all the starters look great (epsecially rowlet, it's adorable).

Also does anyone else think Solgaleo is basically mega pyroar? (I still like it though)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<------------------------------------------ hype

I'll await my royalties from nintendo any day now!!

When the trailer began, I was honestly disappointed because the graphics didn't look any better than XY. But then the actual routes showed up....they look amazing! But I find I still dislike the constantly skewed perspective. I still like the old top-down Pokemon better. But that doesn't really affect things anyway, and the region looks to be amazing anyway.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
<------------------------------------------ hype

I'll await my royalties from nintendo any day now!!

When the trailer began, I was honestly disappointed because the graphics didn't look any better than XY. But then the actual routes showed up....they look amazing! But I find I still dislike the constantly skewed perspective. I still like the old top-down Pokemon better. But that doesn't really affect things anyway, and the region looks to be amazing anyway.
The most exciting thing is how GatoDelFuego becomes official :o)

So, a bit of theorizing here:
Due to the region obviously being hawaii, aka: tropical place, I'm gonna say we'll be seeing a bunch of the following.
Loads of grass types, particularly in the jungle areas. Possibility of things like Carnivine, tropius, ect.
Water types. Island theme, as well as Jungles being very wet, damp, areas, so we may see some stuff like tympole, and other land based-water types in the jungles.
Fire types? There are active volcanoes in Hawaii, so there's a decent chance of encountering those nearby. Also, Heatran is known for being in a volcano so there's a potential for a postgame capture. Likely going to see stuff like Numel, Slugma, ect.
What we won't be seeing a whole bunch of:
Steel types and man-made/blobby Poison types. Hawaii isn't known for its large cities, or being a high population-density area, so Pokemon that would be commonly found in urban areas will most likely be uncommon at best(excluding potential early route bird/rodent ofc). Poison types will most likely be found in the jungle in the form of snakes(Arbok/Seviper), Toxicroak(a poison FROG, known for being from a jungle), and poisonous plants. Poisonous blob-mons(Koffing, grimer, ect) will most likely be uncommon.
Steels are of course, often urban pokemon. So we most likely won't see a whole bunch, outside of maybe one city or two.

Last edited:
The region is based off of Hawaii, it isn't exact. GF can take the freedom to add places for steels/ice/etc as needed.

Also, Heatran is present in the scorched slab in ORAS.

Team Litten all the way, though. I plan on getting sun but maybe I'll splurge on moon too and start with Rowlet. I couldn't care less for the seal.

Hey guys, I had an idea. See, on the Pokemon website, it says Litten produces oils from it's skin. So what if it evolved into a Fire/Poison type? Not only would that be super cool, but it would help distinguish Litten from Houndoom and Pyroar.

So, a bit of theorizing here:
Due to the region obviously being hawaii, aka: tropical place, I'm gonna say we'll be seeing a bunch of the following.
Loads of grass types, particularly in the jungle areas. Possibility of things like Carnivine, tropius, ect.
Water types. Island theme, as well as Jungles being very wet, damp, areas, so we may see some stuff like tympole, and other land based-water types in the jungles.
Fire types? There are active volcanoes in Hawaii, so there's a decent chance of encountering those nearby. Also, we haven't seen Heatran in gen 6 so there's a potential for a postgame capture. Likely going to see stuff like Numel, Slugma, ect.
What we won't be seeing a whole bunch of:
Steel types and man-made/blobby Poison types. Hawaii isn't known for its large cities, or being a high population-density area, so Pokemon that would be commonly found in urban areas will most likely be uncommon at best(excluding potential early route bird/rodent ofc). Poison types will most likely be found in the jungle in the form of snakes(Arbok/Seviper), Toxicroak(a poison FROG, known for being from a jungle), and poisonous plants. Poisonous blob-mons(Koffing, grimer, ect) will most likely be uncommon.
Steels are of course, often urban pokemon. So we most likely won't see a whole bunch, outside of maybe one city or two.
Couple things:
1) Hells yeah, FWG forever!
2) I think Heatran being post-game is extremely likely, given Hawaii and Kilauea and all that lava jazz. However, we have seen Heatran in Gen 6 through ORAS post-game captures.
3) I actually think Poison will be prevalent, so long as there is some kind of gas tie-in. Volcanoes are known for both lava, and poisonous gasses and such, so Koffing and even sludge-poisons like Muk and Swalot are possible. However, I don't think we'll see the snakes, since Hawaii is actually one of the few places on earth with no snakes, or at least EXTREMELY limited. The thought is that if snakes get there, the ecosystem would collapse.

Another thing I'm curious about is what the fossils might be. There could possibly be some references to the fact that the Jurassic Park series was filmed in Hawaii, so it could be fun. Unlikely to be more than just an NPC comment, but fun.

Also hoping for a pokedex that is about as expansive as that of Kalos. This being a tropical area, I can envision a coral reef type area (return of Dive?) and also the potential for a lot of dragon types.

Also hoping for a pokedex that is about as expansive as that of Kalos. This being a tropical area, I can envision a coral reef type area (return of Dive?) and also the potential for a lot of dragon types.
I think a coal reef might be cool. On the subject of dragons, there's a potential for sea monsters that are dragon-water due to all the ocean.

If they do have Dive, please have some actual diversity on the water routes. Do not go full Hoenn with an entire third of the region being the same lame-ass water.
Completely agree with this. There are just so many Pokemon that would fit underwater kind of like they did in the ranger games. Luvdisc / Staryu / Shellder / Huntail / Gorebyss / Chinchou / Relicanth / Seadra / Clauncher / Skrelp / Corsola...the list goes on. I'd like them do a kind of mix between Hoenn's dexnav and Unova's shaking spots where you have a chance to find rare Pokemon or evolved forms.

I think a coal reef might be cool. On the subject of dragons, there's a potential for sea monsters that are dragon-water due to all the ocean.
Yeah. Kingdra + Dragalge + new Pokemon would be some good variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)