[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

While that might be cool Suicune, Raikou, and Entei haven't been released with their hidden abilities yet, so they might be the gift.
I feel like this, or something equally as badass, is more likely. With most other competitions that I'm aware of, they immediately announced the entry prize the day they announced the competition while this one's entry prize is still shrouded in mystery. Why would they hide something as bogus as Whitney's Miltank?

While that might be cool Suicune, Raikou, and Entei haven't been released with their hidden abilities yet, so they might be the gift.
I feel like this, or something equally as badass, is more likely. With most other competitions that I'm aware of, they immediately announced the entry prize the day they announced the competition while this one's entry prize is still shrouded in mystery. Why would they hide something as bogus as Whitney's Miltank?
All 3 have really great HA's (so much better than the legendary birds) so there's only one Johto based giveaway that could top that...shiny Celebi. I know, I know, it's not gonna happen, but it's fun to dream, right?

Whitney's Miltank confirmed as the entry gift. Kinda disappointed, but these tournaments are called "classic" for something, after all. This just shows how great was the impact they made at the time of being introduced. I'm not sure if Lance's Dragonite was the best of its generation, but it was still a decent choice. And actually, I came to like both Whitney since the beginning and Miltank a bit later, so I will still enter the competition, yet now I'm thinking about switching some items, though I haven't decided yet between Venusaur and Gengar.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The entry prize has been revealed to be everyone's childhood nightmare from GSC: Whitney's Miltank!

Pokemon: Miltank Lv20
OT: Whitney
Ability: Scrappy
- Rollout
- Attract
- Stomp
- Milk Drink

Nothing special unlike last time. Updated the OP.

I'm quite happy to have this, even though I have a Miltank ready to be bred. I'm now in the process of thinking of items, and that's finalised. I never realised how high Magneton's attack is, it is actually stupendous. I got it to level 53, so it hit exactly 200. So although I know it will be slightly lower, it is... Wow. Specs for Magneton and watch the destruction come. (With at least 1 attack due to Sturdy.)

If Machamp was a profesional wrestler, it would be Triple H. 'cause it's just "that da*n good".
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/johtoclassic-371896154
Good stuff! I think you just confirmed I need to have my Machamp return from the Kanto Classic for this. I was torn between him and Heracross (of which I have a perfect 6IV Adamant ready to go) but I had a hard time coming up with a decent moveset for her. The only reason I wanted Hera was for Guts so that I can take advantage of statuses. What are you running on your Champ? Mine has No Guard ability, Dynamic Punch, Knock Off, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch. I notice you have Poison Jab on there for Fairies I assume; what did you remove for it?

Good stuff! I think you just confirmed I need to have my Machamp return from the Kanto Classic for this. I was torn between him and Heracross (of which I have a perfect 6IV Adamant ready to go) but I had a hard time coming up with a decent moveset for her. The only reason I wanted Hera was for Guts so that I can take advantage of statuses. What are you running on your Champ? Mine has No Guard ability, Dynamic Punch, Knock Off, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch. I notice you have Poison Jab on there for Fairies I assume; what did you remove for it?
This is interesting. I wonder if it's similar to mine (which I posted before) no guard, Jolly, Poison Jab, Thunderpunch, Stone Edge, Dyncamic Punch, although for Johto I have swapped my Jab for Knock Off.

This is interesting. I wonder if it's similar to mine (which I posted before) no guard, Jolly, Poison Jab, Thunderpunch, Stone Edge, Dyncamic Punch, although for Johto I have swapped my Jab for Knock Off.
Hmm not sure. I ran Adamant on mine because I wanted the extra power. Jab not needed you think? All I have for Fairies on my team is his unboosted Bullet Punch which isn't the best...

Hey I wanted to share a psych up Alakazam I made to fight baton pass shenanigans:
It's basically a synchronize, chesto berry, psych up zam.
Here's a replay (though I misplay turn 5)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/johtoclassic-372006551

What moves would you guys suggest? I'm currently running psychic, dazzling gleam (for dnite) and taunt. Was thinking about adding shadow ball to hit espeon harder.
BTW, I don't intend to use it against anything other than BP and maybe venusaur.

Whitney's Miltank, are you fucking with me?
Damn, there goes the HA Beast hype.

Still, this comp is right up my alley, I loved Johto. Best region, imo.

Still not sure on what I want to run, though. Feraligatr and Alakazam are among my absolute favorites, and no time greater than now to use them. Gatr's only real advantages over Gyarados is a lesser Rock and Electric vulnerability, Fighting coverage (limited by a stark lack of Steel and Dark types), and I guess better Ice coverage. Ice Fang is shit. I was thinking LO DD Gatr / Sash Alakazam / Raikou / Crown Entei / AV Machamp / ???.
Eviolite Regen Tangela might be funny and I obviously need a Ground resist. Handles Donphan pretty well; even if you get hit with Endeavor you can switch out and get back to 34%, at which point it can't touch you any more:
252+ Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela on a critical hit: 44-54 (25.5 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Donphan is a really solid mon, imo, and the lack of Hippowdon really amps it up. I might just run a team based off my infamous old BW2 team with Ninetales / Arcanine or Entei / Chlorosaur / Donphan / fillers. I really cannot decide. ._.

Whitney's Miltank, are you fucking with me?
Damn, there goes the HA Beast hype.

Still, this comp is right up my alley, I loved Johto. Best region, imo.

Still not sure on what I want to run, though. Feraligatr and Alakazam are among my absolute favorites, and no time greater than now to use them. Gatr's only real advantages over Gyarados is a lesser Rock and Electric vulnerability, Fighting coverage (limited by a stark lack of Steel and Dark types), and I guess better Ice coverage. Ice Fang is shit. I was thinking LO DD Gatr / Sash Alakazam / Raikou / Crown Entei / AV Machamp / ???.
Eviolite Regen Tangela might be funny and I obviously need a Ground resist. Handles Donphan pretty well; even if you get hit with Endeavor you can switch out and get back to 34%, at which point it can't touch you any more:
252+ Atk Donphan Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela on a critical hit: 44-54 (25.5 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Donphan is a really solid mon, imo, and the lack of Hippowdon really amps it up. I might just run a team based off my infamous old BW2 team with Ninetales / Arcanine or Entei / Chlorosaur / Donphan / fillers. I really cannot decide. ._.
Too much priority around for sash zam to work imo. And AV Machamp gets killed by crobat and boosted mons

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey I wanted to share a psych up Alakazam I made to fight baton pass shenanigans:
It's basically a synchronize, chesto berry, psych up zam.
Here's a replay (though I misplay turn 5)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/johtoclassic-372006551

What moves would you guys suggest? I'm currently running psychic, dazzling gleam (for dnite) and taunt. Was thinking about adding shadow ball to hit espeon harder.
BTW, I don't intend to use it against anything other than BP and maybe venusaur.
what exactly did Alakazam do in that replay worth noting? It got a hit in that didn't even KO and then died...

I think a dedicated Psych Up user for "messing up" Baton Pass is a waste of a teamslot. Any good Lum Berry user takes care of Smeargle / Venomoth and there are so many to choose from, and then Espeon is basically deadweight. There's also Ditto to straight up copy them. I've also run into people using a Red Card Pokemon to force them out.

what exactly did Alakazam do in that replay worth noting? It got a hit in that didn't even KO and then died...

I think a dedicated Psych Up user for "messing up" Baton Pass is a waste of a teamslot. Any good Lum Berry user takes care of Smeargle / Venomoth and there are so many to choose from, and then Espeon is basically deadweight. There's also Ditto to straight up copy them. I've also run into people using a Red Card Pokemon to force them out.
Harsh but real, thanks.

Too much priority around for sash zam to work imo. And AV Machamp gets killed by crobat and boosted mons
Uhh, how does that make it less viable? Sash allows it to live any one hit regardless of priority and can get a lot of damage off or score a clutch T-Wave on something. Magic Guard also allows it to keep its Sash vs the rare hazards, too.

Uhh, how does that make it less viable? Sash allows it to live any one hit regardless of priority and can get a lot of damage off or score a clutch T-Wave on something. Magic Guard also allows it to keep its Sash vs the rare hazards, too.
It's not that it isn't viable, just that against most offensive pokes Zam only gets to fire off one attack, whether he has sash or not.

Most Sash users have that trait, hence why they need a Sash to live for more than one hit.
He's fast enough to fire off the first attack without dying first. He won't fire off the second one, because priority kills him. Having sash doesn't change that in the slightest. Give me more than one example against the pokes being discussed here (machamp, dnite, azu, donphan) where sash makes a difference.

He's fast enough to fire off the first attack without dying first. He won't fire off the second one, because priority kills him. Having sash doesn't change that in the slightest. Give me more than one example against the pokes being discussed here (machamp, dnite, azu, donphan) where sash makes a difference.
You're not understanding Sash Zam's role here. He's meant to disrupt something like Swift Swim Kingdra and DD Nite (after you burn the Lum) with Thunder Wave after taking any one hit. Same goes when it goes up against any set up sweeper that boosts speed, or when it goes up against something Scarfed.

That same argument you used about not living the second hit after the Sash breaks can be used for just about any other Sash or Sturdy user in a tier where Extremespeed Dragonite is almost on every team, and if it's not on Dragonite, it's either on Arcanine or Entei, and even if it isn't Espeed you're up against, a lot of fast mons have priority, such as Sneasel or speed creeped Azu, Scizor, Donphan, ect.

To sum it all up, of course Zam will lose to priority mons, but that's not who it wants to stay in against or even lose its Sash to. That doesn't mean it "doesn't work" because believe me, it works.

Last edited:
Playing around with a bit of a gimmick here but I kinda like it and I have had some success with it initially just kinda want to get some basic opinions and team building options.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Sandstorm

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

It super preliminary but the idea is to lead with Dugtrio and get hazards up (break sturdy/sashes) and then use Memento to switch into Feraligatr who can get a quick DDance off and sweep. It super preliminary but is Memento a worthwhile strategy and can you see a better way to implement it? Dugtrio seems ideal due to his speed and Feraligatr has a nice combo with Sheer force and DDance.

Playing around with a bit of a gimmick here but I kinda like it and I have had some success with it initially just kinda want to get some basic opinions and team building options.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Earthquake
- Sandstorm

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

It super preliminary but the idea is to lead with Dugtrio and get hazards up (break sturdy/sashes) and then use Memento to switch into Feraligatr who can get a quick DDance off and sweep. It super preliminary but is Memento a worthwhile strategy and can you see a better way to implement it? Dugtrio seems ideal due to his speed and Feraligatr has a nice combo with Sheer force and DDance.
I guess this could work but here's a couple of things you should keep in mind:

1 - From what I've seen in the ladder, people usually lead with their Sash user so Stealth Rocks isn't really worth much, specially not when the only Sturdy user that Feraligatr actually fears is Magneton and perhaps Alakazam, both of which Dugtrio is perfectly capable of dealing with.
2 - Off the top of my head right now I can tell you that Skarmory can give you a lot of trouble ( haven't seen it much on the ladder, however) and Quagsire straight up shuts down this whole strategy, so you got to find something to deal with those two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)