[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

I have like 2 teams I'm testing at the moment. One with mostly Kanto Mons, and one with nearly all Johto natives. The only thing I'm pressed for is a good stall breaker and a decent defensive mon since my current teams consist of almost pure hyper offense

But I'm not even sure if they'll even let me register for this thing anyway since I got randomly DQ'ed from the Flash Clash.

I'm hoping it's just because I (stupidly) DC'ed when I chose the wrong Poke a few times, which I got away with in past tours since I was middle of the pact most of the time, but since most of my battle vids were auto uploaded(which I'm assuming only happens with the high ranked), I guess it got me sacked. But I'm really hoping it isn't because I recently started using a 6iv ditto for breeding stuff when I'm pressed for time which ended up being at least half of my team.

Either way, I switched from using it to most of the 5iv mons in each egg group I already have just in case. I'm still ranked on battle spot singles, so I doubt I'm banned for good, but I guess I'll soon find out.

Last edited:
What does Steelix and Granbull do that put them in B-? Haven't seen either of them on the ladder so far. I guess I can understand Granbull since it can resist Dragonite and Machamp fairly well with Intimidate.

Also, I feel Porygon2 can be higher than B. It's one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the tier with reliable recovery and has a bit of offensive presence to it thanks to a decent special attack, unlike Chansey, that makes good use of BoltBeam coverage. It also has great abilities in Trace, which can do something dank like copying Dragonite's Multiscale, Slowbro's Regenerator, Espeon's Magic Bounce, ect, and has access to Download to get a potential SpA boost on more offensive P2 sets. It can make good use of Thunder Wave/Toxic as well since it's fat enough to get either of them off.

I have like 2 teams I'm testing at the moment. One with mostly Kanto Mons, and one with nearly all Johto natives. The only thing I'm pressed for is a good stall breaker and a decent defensive mon since my current teams consist of almost pure hyper offense

But I'm not even sure if they'll even let me register for this thing anyway since I got randomly DQ'ed from the Flash Clash.

I'm hoping it's just because I (stupidly) DC'ed when I chose the wrong Poke a few times, which I got away with in past tours since I was middle of the pact most of the time, but since most of my battle vids were auto uploaded(which I'm assuming only happens with the high ranked), I guess it got me sacked. But I'm really hoping it isn't because I recently started using a 6iv ditto for breeding stuff when I'm pressed for time which ended up being at least half of my team.

Either way, I switched from using it to most of the 5iv mons in each egg group I already have just in case. I'm still ranked on battle spot singles, so I doubt I'm banned for good, but I guess I'll soon find out.
I don't think it would be because you bred with a 6 IV Ditto. I use one also and I was fine.

Well, when I think of "Stall breaker and defensive mon" my first light is Gliscor; but since it's banned, we do have Gligar. Eviolite and Roost give it acceptable bulk, and in terms of tools it has nearly everything in Gliscor's vast array of options like Taunt, Knock Off, and Swords Dance. Immunity stops Toxic stallers, and weaknesses are easily covered by Feraligatr, Suicune, Azumarill, or any other Water type.
And no, 6IV ditto would never get you banned. They have absolutely no way of reading or obtaining data on HOW your pokemon was bred and shit; disconnects however they monitor with reasonable accuracy and objectively prove you disconnected. Which, they can forfeit your ranking for.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I gotta say, Donphan is quite a bit more versatile than I expected. While other people here have praised the Custap set (which is damn good), I think Donphan can also get away with Expert Belt and Choice Band too. Get this: With Expert Belt, Gunk Shot has a 97% chance of OHKOing Azumarill (assuming it hits) o_O. Seed Bomb is also neat, since it slams Quagsire (it also does a BIT more to Water-types in general, especially if using Expert Belt).

I think I'm gonna try Starmie soon btw. It sounds good on paper: A Water-type thats really fast and OHKOs Gengar (watch out for sash though), but I just.. never see it around. I think I'm gonna try a Sash set and a Life Orb set.

I don't think it would be because you bred with a 6 IV Ditto. I use one also and I was fine.
Well, when I think of "Stall breaker and defensive mon" my first light is Gliscor; but since it's banned, we do have Gligar. Eviolite and Roost give it acceptable bulk, and in terms of tools it has nearly everything in Gliscor's vast array of options like Taunt, Knock Off, and Swords Dance. Immunity stops Toxic stallers, and weaknesses are easily covered by Feraligatr, Suicune, Azumarill, or any other Water type.
And no, 6IV ditto would never get you banned. They have absolutely no way of reading or obtaining data on HOW your pokemon was bred and shit; disconnects however they monitor with reasonable accuracy and objectively prove you disconnected. Which, they can forfeit your ranking for.
I've narrowed it down to Gligar and a Taunt/Clear Smog Gengar. I was also testing a Murkrow set I already have breeded, but as of now, it seems like a waste of an Eviolite slot.

And yeah, as of now, I'm assuming it was the DC thing. This was the first time I've used mostly Ditto bread mons in a tournament, so I honestly didn't know what to expect.

Oh, you're one of Those.

Abusing connection in order to maintain rank when favor is against you is definitely bannable in my book.
It doesn't maintain your rank though, it counts as a loss...
This. DC's count as a loss even if it was something that's out of your control like shotty internet. I was going to lose both matches anyway, so I figured I'd just turn off my system and get it over with.

Since that was the best I've ever preformed in a tournament and I got a no rank for it, I think I'll know better next time.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Gen 6 has stricter anti-disconnection policies. In addition to disconnections counting as a loss, I remember reading something like if you constantly disconnect, they'll just take you off the ladder. They might've done similar for the battle spot competitions.

Just done my weekly wonder trades, as I have 60 brejects ready to go out (in the hope someone will use them to breed with too) I have come across another Heracross, which I'm seeing a rise in, especially those with Rock Blast (despite Megas not being in the competition.) could it just be that it's going to be a popular coverage move for this competition?

I posted an RMT for a squad I had a lot of success with in the last week (but bombed out really badly last night on tilt), you'll probably all hate it coz it's "cancer" but any comments would be appreciated. If anyone can solve my threatlist issues then I'd be really grateful lol.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/johto-classic-infinitys-tactisand.3572612/

reply there, not here :)
Threw out a reply to your team - interested to hear a response. Not too worried about the "cancer" aspect since this is hosted via an official event and if I have to deal with Moody and Evasion then I think anything is fair game. While we are on the subject...once a battle reaches max time how is a winner determined? Can stall be a viable tactic in this format?

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Threw out a reply to your team - interested to hear a response. Not too worried about the "cancer" aspect since this is hosted via an official event and if I have to deal with Moody and Evasion then I think anything is fair game. While we are on the subject...once a battle reaches max time how is a winner determined? Can stall be a viable tactic in this format?
When you reach the time limit the player with the most remaining pokemon wins. Assuming that you have the same amount of pokemon, the player who has the pokemon with the most health wins I think.

Edit: Stall isn't as viable in this meta due to the high offensive power and having less mons to work with overall. I don't think it's completely useless, just not as good as it might be elsewhere. I've seen one or two pure stall teams on the ladder that seemed to do ok.

Last edited:
Gen 6 has stricter anti-disconnection policies. In addition to disconnections counting as a loss, I remember reading something like if you constantly disconnect, they'll just take you off the ladder. They might've done similar for the battle spot competitions.
Yeah, I just noticed the stronger stance on DCing in the special regulations tab which makes since as nearly every other battle in that format is a rage quit.

I always assumed they'd give you 1 or 2 per tour, but the more I think about it, it's probably best that they remove this aspect from the game.

Last edited:
Since this competition is giving away Whitney's Miltank, I made a Whitney team for fun, based on mons she had in the HGSS rematch and the PWT in B2W2. If you meet something like this in the actual competition, you better save replay. All hail to Whitney! lol

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/johtoclassic-374736273

Teambuild said:
Miltank @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Body Slam
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Giga Impact
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Girafarig (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Ursaring (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Protect

Blissey @ Shed Shell
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Flamethrower
- Toxic

The banning and such for disconnecting is a bit excessive imo especially if they already enforce losses to those that disconnect. That's punishment enough, I myself got worried about being banned due to multiple disconnects that happened to me due to my Wi-Fi in past competitions where I'd be doing fairly well until said disconnects, a worse record is bad enough, I shouldn't have to worry about being removed from the ladder or banned as well.

Anyways I don't want to stray from the main purpose of this thread, I actually wanted to ask what are some of the common sets seem thus far for Lanturn? I've been using a modest set that's been teetering between good and bad.

Can someone suggest a good Espeon set for this? Maybe a Dual Screens build?
I suspect most people will put forward a Baton Pass set? If not, I suspect some sort of Choice Specs set? This seems to be a more slower meta, Dual Screens would be a set available too as you say, I dare not suggest natures, EVs or even move sets though.

I was looking at that set too but Specs is already being taken up on my team by Jolteon. Are there any variations?
You could try Expert Belt or Life Orb Jolteon in place of Specs to still have that bit of extra power. E-belt has that extra benefit of bluffing Choice items, which can allow you to bait out a particular threat and take it out with coverage, such as Hidden Power Grass for Quagsire and Hidden Power Ice for Dragonite, while LO gives you even more power.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)