Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's just that Solgaleo being Psychic/Steel with Not Clear Body is disappointing since we've seen this exact combination before.
I don't get why people keep saying this is a problem with Solgaleo. Type combinations are of course going to be repeated. Did anyone complain when Yveltal had the same type as Murkrow? When Xerneas had the same type as literally any other pure fairy? Zygarde being the same as Flygon and Garchomp? It shares the same types as Metagross and Bronzong. It's a good typing, and I don't really see the problem with another Pokemon having that typing.

And I'm glad they're doing a "Legendary type theme" again, like they had with flying in gen 2, and dragon in gen 4 and 5. I'm also glad it's something new, in Psychic (which is a pretty good type) and that they're doing some combinations with other powerful types (Ghost and Steel).

I'm also really glad that Solgaleo is not a fire type. We have Pyroar and we'll have most likely another fire-type big cat Pokemon in Litten's evolution, so I'm glad to see Solgaleo be different.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The ideal Speed for Lunala would be 131. Dump the rest into SpA then HP and Def. The confirmed typing is pretty poor, Psychic makes the defensive synergy worse and provides nothing for offense either. The ability won't have significant merit outside of situational use if the base stat spread turns out to be offensive and even with a defensive spread it could be in competition or outclassed by Lugia. With 131 Speed a strong Special Attack and a strong Ghost-type STAB with Moonblast as coverage it could be a worthwhile offensive Pokemon, but it might still need a setup move such as Nasty Plot or Calm Mind to actually break things. Even then it will suffer from being revenge killed by common priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch. Anyways all we have to go off of right now are the typing and ability which aren't that great, but things can still turn around.

I don't get why people keep saying this is a problem with Solgaleo. Type combinations are of course going to be repeated. Did anyone complain when Yveltal had the same type as Murkrow? When Xerneas had the same type as literally any other pure fairy? Zygarde being the same as Flygon and Garchomp? It shares the same types as Metagross and Bronzong. It's a good typing, and I don't really see the problem with another Pokemon having that typing.

And I'm glad they're doing a "Legendary type theme" again, like they had with flying in gen 2, and dragon in gen 4 and 5. I'm also glad it's something new, in Psychic (which is a pretty good type) and that they're doing some combinations with other powerful types (Ghost and Steel).

I'm also really glad that Solgaleo is not a fire type. We have Pyroar and we'll have most likely another fire-type big cat Pokemon in Litten's evolution, so I'm glad to see Solgaleo be different.
Its the same ability and the same type---that is the problem

Just saw an interesting thing: it's going to be so disappointing if you get your Pokedex, it contains a Rotom, and yet there's no Rotom info in the dex.

Its the same ability and the same type---that is the problem
Oh, didn't realize the ability was the same. Well, I feel stupid.

Still, I won't judge it yet.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The ideal Speed for Lunala would be 131. Dump the rest into SpA then HP and Def. The confirmed typing is pretty poor, Psychic makes the defensive synergy worse and provides nothing for offense either. The ability won't have significant merit outside of situational use if the base stat spread turns out to be offensive and even with a defensive spread it could be in competition or outclassed by Lugia. With 131 Speed a strong Special Attack and a strong Ghost-type STAB with Moonblast as coverage it could be a worthwhile offensive Pokemon, but it might still need a setup move such as Nasty Plot or Calm Mind to actually break things. Even then it will suffer from being revenge killed by common priority moves such as Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch. Anyways all we have to go off of right now are the typing and ability which aren't that great, but things can still turn around.
The Psychic-typing is mostly a net negative defensively sure, but it would at least give it STAB Psyshock for Ho-Oh and Blissey.

I don't think you'll have to worry about it not getting Calm Mind, don't think there is a Psychic-type out there that doesn't learn it barring Metagross.

Something I wanted to point out-
In the Japanese trailer we saw some npc's in bikinis. Of course, this is nothing new, as the swimmer trainer class often appears in the similar clothing. In X and Y, the female player could wear a top called the midriff halter top. It was supposed to represent beach wear. Since this is in Hawaii---Known for its beaches, we could see more than just two beach wear clothing. I have to doubt though that Nintendo will allow a 10 yr old avatar to travel across a region in only their undergarments though. What do you think?

In the Japanese trailer we saw some npc's in bikinis. Of course, this is nothing new, as the swimmer trainer class often appears in the similar clothing. In X and Y, the female player could wear a top called the midriff halter top. It was supposed to represent beach wear. Since this is in Hawaii---Known for its beaches, we could see more than just two beach wear clothing. I have to doubt though that Nintendo will allow a 10 yr old avatar to travel across a region in only their undergarments though. What do you think?
The female character wearing only a bikini... but still being forced to wear that hat. She can never take off the hat.

The Psychic-typing is mostly a net negative defensively sure, but it would at least give it STAB Psyshock for Ho-Oh and Blissey.

I don't think you'll have to worry about it not getting Calm Mind, don't think there is a Psychic-type out there that doesn't learn it barring Metagross.
I think Starmie misses out on it. Let's not forget that Substitute could be a decent choice as Ghost + Moonblast is perfect neutral coverage. Sub protects from status, Sucker Punch, and Darkrai while still leaving room for Psyshock or recovery.

Lol at those who think these legends will be OU. Only Kyurem-B has fallen to OU in the history of the cover legends.

I actually see Lunala doing better than Solgaleo. P-Don and Ho-oh likely tank whatever Solgaleo's got and KO back (not to say he's bad of course. We just dont know yet) whereas Lunala's potentially strong and spamable Ghost stab is awesome. Pursuit is, I believe, rare in ubers ( neither Yveltal or even Darkrai gets it). Shadow sneak (Giratina-O, Aegislash) and sucker punch (Yveltal, Mega Khan) are both predictable. Mega Gengar can't trap you. Knock off is again predictable to a certain extent as I believe Yveltal and Deoxys are the only common users. Being a Ghost type he'll likely get taunt which couples well with its multiscale clone and I hope decent speed.

I think Starmie misses out on it. Let's not forget that Substitute could be a decent choice as Ghost + Moonblast is perfect neutral coverage. Sub protects from status, Sucker Punch, and Darkrai while still leaving room for Psyshock or recovery.

Lol at those who think these legends will be OU. Only Kyurem-B has fallen to OU in the history of the cover legends.
Ghost + Fairy is not perfect neutral coverage. It is ironically resisted by the one and only real "firelion", Pyroar. I seriously doubt that Pyroar will be a relevant threat to Lunala though.

PS: I like the Sub idea. Also, lets not forget that Lunala is a Ghost-type and those often get Will-O-Wisp which would completely screw Sucker Punch threats, if Lunala ends up having it.

Last edited:
Honestly I hope not. I mean she looks younger than Serena in X&Y which couldn't even get that skimpy and like every other female protagonist too. It may just be the clothing though.

Yeah the Solgaleo typing have more sense when it's put on the perspective of alchemy symbolism . No problem with Lunala's typing but very curious abou the typing of it's signature move.

With de rotom-dex. The thing looks very nice with a good implementation of the map of the bottom screen. Now the thing that call my attention more is the fact that he allows communication between pokemons and humans, what if this feature is combined with the pokemon-amie. That would be awesome

Has anyone saw this???
A golf course on island two

Alola-Region-Island-2 (2).jpg

Will we ever see a golf mini game on this game???

Yeah the Solgaleo typing have more sense when it's put on the perspective of alchemy symbolism . No problem with Lunala's typing but very curious abou the typing of it's signature move.

With de rotom-dex. The thing looks very nice with a good implementation of the map of the bottom screen. Now the thing that call my attention more is the fact that he allows communication between pokemons and humans, what if this feature is combined with the pokemon-amie. That would be awesome

Has anyone saw this???
A golf course on island two

View attachment 63034

Will we ever see a golf mini game on this game???
There seems to be a lot of alchemy stuff in Sun and Moon too

I don't know if this has been brought up before(sorry if it has), but I think that Sunsteel strike and Moongeist beam may be dual type moves. Sunsteel strike might end up a Fire/Steel move while Moongeist beam might end up a Dark/Ghost move. It also works into the lore, with Solgaleo absorbing the power of the sun(fire)and Lunala reflecting the power of the moon(dark).

I don't know if this has been brought up before(sorry if it has), but I think that Sunsteel strike and Moongeist beam may be dual type moves. Sunsteel strike might end up a Fire/Steel move while Moongeist beam might end up a Dark/Ghost move. It also works into the lore, with Solgaleo absorbing the power of the sun(fire)and Lunala reflecting the power of the moon(dark).
the moon is fairy...
Dark in japan is Evil type, and the moon is closer related with the fairy type- all moon related moves were retyped to become fairy type

the moon is fairy...
Dark in japan is Evil type, and the moon is closer related with the fairy type- all moon related moves were retyped to become fairy type
Building off of that, the names in other languages are things like "Meteor Strike" and "Shadow Beam" or something like that, so I'm not sure if the english names are really what to go by here. The other names don't give any hints to that being the case.

Building off of that, the names in other languages are things like "Meteor Strike" and "Shadow Beam" or something like that, so I'm not sure if the english names are really what to go by here. The other names don't give any hints to that being the case.
To make things weirdier, and while not the last word, Lunala's move can be called "Dark Beam" in Spanish.

"can be", because Dark Pulse has a similar name, but then again, so do Shadow Force, Shadow Claw and Night Slash.

Last edited:
That's what I thought initially too, but after dragon ascent (as someone mentioned earlier) I don't think we can solely go off the name for this kind of stuff. Although I imagine we will see some additional duel type moves in the (near) future, seeing as it is really odd for a random Pokemon (hawlucha) to have the only duel typed move in the game (well, I guess pikachu libre too).

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the case of Solgaleo, I doubt this, since Sunsteel Strike was neutral on Salamence, AND OHKOed it too. Since I doubt even Solgaleo is gonna pull that off with an unstabbed move even though the Salamence has 0 IVs, I think its clear that its a Steel-type attack. It's just... one that as a fiery background, which is pretty weird!

They need to stop doing stuff on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays cause I get eight pages behind (which is the exact number I called)!

First things first:
I love Rotom-D. I've always been a big fan of Rotom, and the idea of a Rotom Pokédex is so awesome! Also, it kinda lets us break the six Pokémon rule...sorta...
I also love about the QR codes making it easier to complete the Dex. Hopefully, it will count as caught, not seen, which will make National Dex completion much easier.
I pray that it does not count as caught. That would be stupid, and would destroy the point of running around and capturing them all. Not to mention, it continues down the path of continual simplification of the games which killed non-competitive pokemon for me this last gen.

On that point I'm still not sure if Rotom-D is actually usable in battles or is it just a talking pokedex. Can someone clear this up please?

I pray that it does not count as caught. That would be stupid, and would destroy the point of running around and capturing them all. Not to mention, it continues down the path of continual simplification of the games which killed non-competitive pokemon for me this last gen.
No but what I saw was that the QR code thing gives you an in-depth map of the route, and shows EXACTLY where the pokemon can be found, because it seems that each patch of grass could actually contain different pokemon. Looking at the Pokedex/Sassy Rotom, it seems like the habitat feature is gone, and so to actually catch 'em all, you have to find these QR codes so you can figure out where to get the pokemon you want

Did anyone else see that the grass seems out of the way, and it doesn't seem like you have to fight wild pokemon to move on through a route
On that point I'm still not sure if Rotom-D is actually usable in battles or is it just a talking pokedex. Can someone clear this up please?
We don't know if Sassy Rotom can be used in battle yet, but it would be pretty weird, because traditionally you get the pokedex at the beginning, so you would basically start with a rotom, already in a form, and a starter

Ok I made a mistake with my understanding of the QR codes. Unlike previous games, where the habitat is shown if you have seen the pokemon, you can only see the habitat in the pokedex if you have seen the QR code. However, it still seems to be true that pokemon appear only in certain spots in the grass, not a whole route. This makes sense because the whole route system feels so continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 22)