Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes. A little bit lowkey, but we have confirmation that the bracelets on the trainers' wrists are actually something. They aren't just for decoration.

Pikipek and Yingoos are def. in my awesome fldr. That staliker ability is neat. And the early route bird with skill link? Yes please.

Where did you get this information from? Or did I just miss it in the trailer/stream?
Probably from the Battle Royal thing. Two of the people are named Sun and Moon and the other two are Elio and Selene.

Yungoos is a funny name, stakeout looks like a really good ability, would love to see it end up on some OU viable mons. Legendaries get alternate forms, possible type changes :DD?

If Yungoos is, as it appears to be, the basic Normal-type we find on the first route/s, then it looks like Game Freak have totally broken the 'regional rodent' pattern; mongooses are more closely related to zebras and whales than they are to rodents.

I really like Grubbin, considering I missed the live footage that revealed it. It looks like a beetle larva of some sort.

Buzzer_Error That pattern was already broken with Zigzagoon in Gen 3, as it's actually a tanuki, rather than a rodent. They just happen to be exceptions to the rule.

I haven't seen someone noticed it yet, but it seems that the experience scaling is back. Lvl 7 Popplio has gained 14xp against a lvl 3 trainer's Caterpie while a lvl 3 Ledyba has gained 69xp against a lvl 5 wild pikipek (which i would presume has a base xp close to pidgey). Without xp scaling, that would've been 25 for caterpie and 35 for pikipek (presuming base xp of pidgey)

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
yungoos - cool
pikipek - art sucks ass but model is cool
grubbin - FUCK YEAH BROS

who is piki tako? or taku poko? or the god thingy? actual god? or pokemon? If actual god...then I'd be happy, means a far deeper culture for humans in Pokemon world

also the ui is so fucking slick this gen, wtf they never rlly changed it before and suddenly it's like 20x better just with what they've shown off so far

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Do I… Do I see…

Do I see Metres and Kilograms in the English translation!!??
AW HELL YEAH!

Been waiting for the games to do this since I first played Yellow and couldn't figure out what an "lb" was supposed to mean (and I still don't understand how it's an abbreviation of the word Pound, famously lacking both L's and B's). Seeing as Pokémon are designed in Metric measurements, which are then converted to Imperial units upon translation, I find it strange that they haven't had this option previously.

Anyway, this was a mighty fine day for news. We got a good look at Alola Route 1, saw several new Pokémon, trainer customization is confirmed again, the presence of old Pokémon is confirmed (Ledyba yay...), and the games look pretty gorgeous. I'm definitely more hyped for this than previously.

Also, with another Easy Mode tacked on, the game literally showing you which move is the best to use in a given situation, I hope that they finally up the difficulty somewhat. The games are balanced for people who have never played them before, and don't use any of the numerous free boosts the games throw at you. O-Powers, Exp. Share, Infinite TMs, Amie boosts, Megas... with a toolbox this big, I think players could handle things being slightly more difficult.

And it better not be the Caterpie of Alola.
Hmm... it's a larva Pokémon, catchable on the first route, and the traditions of Normal-type rodent and three-stage Normal/Flying bird are shown to be returning. If this isn't the Caterpie of Alola, I'd be really surprised. It could be the Venipede of Alola, though.

Eh, rather disappointing reveals. The bug and bird are cool but that is really were it stops. Telling people what moves are super effective is stupid and dumbs down the game. The stupid battle royal just gives another stupid battle type to have to suffer through if they offer an entry prize for the comp and even if they don't it was a waste of development time IMO. That being said, it is Nintendo rules sets period so it is kind of suffering period with all the broken shit allowed....

Edit: O and almost forgot but the Moongoose is one of the worse designs yet. Seriously when a dam magazine release brings a lot of cool stuff but then you have this almost depressing major press release....

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Battle Royale / Free-for-all has actually been a wildly popular battle format on YouTube/Wi-Fi for a long time. It's just now the game facilitates the ruleset rather than the players.

What do you guys think about the trainer always appearing in the battle? I personally am not a huge fan just because they're way too damn close. If it was PBR distance it would look pretty cool to see a glimpse but idk I feel like you see way too much of the trainer and it just looks very awkward.

I liked PBR but for some reason the way they did it here bugs me a lot. Like a really bad mix and it completely ruins the feel of a cool battle. I like getting the trainer more show time but not be there all the damn time.

Battle Royale / Free-for-all has actually been a wildly popular battle format on YouTube/Wi-Fi for a long time. It's just now the game facilitates the ruleset rather than the players.
I know it has, doesn't change the fact that I find it to be a worthless addition to the game with little worth. Hell, as Jess said, it is not even the same thing just a simplified version. On top of that, they can just continue to play it without having to have it officially added which saves development time that can be spent of things we can not replicate ourselves within the game mechanics. And before someone brings up that it couldn't perfectly be done in game yet, it still works better then this does because both pokemon one side have to be gone in order to end the battle early.

Edit: If you find Yungoos cute...well..you are entitled to like as you do but I still feel sorry for you. It is by far a terrible design, the mouth is completely out of place on the model, way to large and space consuming. However, that Woodpecker, its cute. The gurb is cute in its own way as well.

Pikipek: by a large margin the cutest base early-route bird so far. Hope it'll stick with Talonflame's innovation of getting a new first type other than normal when evolving. Skill link is good too, I hope it'll get the right moves, including good STABs (either new or improved old moves).

Yungoos: I adore this thing despite the Trump look, it's a bully mongoose! Stakeout it's definitely an interesting ability, if it'll have good distribution could become game-defining as much as pursuit or even more. Strong Jaw is cool for such an early pokémon, what I'm really hoping is that we'll have lots of new bite moves, giving STABs to most Strong Jaws wielders.

Grubbin: This one is cute too, and I get the felling it'll change a lot while evolving. Eventual bug/electric is interesting, hope it'll go physical to differentiate itself from Galvantual. The fact that it has only swarm make me hoping it'll get a peculiar ability in its final stage (something like no guard --> stance change in the Aegislash evo line).

Solgaleo/Lunaala phases: I considered them just aesthetic forms, but now that official infos describe them as full potential forms... Things get a lot different. What if using their signature moves give them a temporary boost? Or maybe their forms will add something to their (otherwise underwhelming) abilities? Does these have something to do with the new stones? Is this a reference to the Break dynamic in TCG? I'm absolutely excited about all this.

Popplio learning new fairy move: disarming voice at level 8 is sure unusual for a starter... Water/Fairy confirmed? Its stats look bulky, specially offensively inclined. There's a cool potential leak out there with a beautiful siren-like third evo of Popplio, it'll be interesting if real (especially considering how tremendously cool looks the archer-owl third stage of Rowlett in that leak).

New battle screen: the more the infos, the better the game. Having an almost showdown-like screen is great for competitive purposes!

New battle royal: looks fun, but it'll be hard to make it competitively viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)