Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling its evolution and Pikipek's would linger in a higher tier than it should have like Cinccino and Ambipom. At least part of it due to "Shiny New Toy Syndrome"

My thoughts would be: Do you think this new ability will be exclusive to it or do you think it will make its way to other new Pokemon/Mega Evolutions?
Abilities tend not to be exclusive to regional birds and rodents - the only case this happened was with Talonflame getting Gale Wings, and even then that was by Hidden Ability.
The guys you get at the start of the game aren't meant to be that impressive compared to everything else - just common and run of the mill. Which is why Talonflame and Diggersby getting their really good abilities as Hidden abilities also makes sense - you only get what's good and uncommon about them at the end of the game.

You guys are all talking that Yungoos's evolution would be like top tier shit. But then I just have to point out that the BST of the Route 1 rodents just aren't good .and even with this ability, it will probably be no better than a situational Diggersby. But I would like to be proven wrong. It's just history has not been kind to Raticate, Furret, Linoone, Bibarel, and Watchog.
Do you think this new ability will be exclusive to it or do you think it will make its way to other new Pokemon/Mega Evolutions?
That's the point: I'm mostly excited about the ability itself, rather than on just Yungoos final evo. Well, I'm kind of hoping for a Diggersby-like mon (I don't like Diggersby itself but it's absolutely good for having such underwhelming BST), but mostly I'm really wishing about a nice distribution of Stakeout, especially to potentially good mons that otherwise would have mediocre abilities. It's a great ability, and older mons could get it as HA or via Mega. Hopefully we'll get even new coverage moves for Strong Jaws, but I see them unlikely.
On the other hand, as much as Yungoos' evo could be the new Diggersby, I'm not expecting by Pikipek's one a new Talonflame at all. Without powerful STABs, Skill Link alone is quite underwhelming, and even with those it doesn't guarantee anything without good stats and movepool. Overall it just works splendidly on Cloyster thanks to a lucky combinations of STABs, stats and movepool, but it's not that mind-blowing even on a powerful threat as Mega Heracross (it's good of course, but considering how weak Arm Thrust is -and I'm hoping for a buff this gen- maybe it would've preferred retaining Guts as an ability). As of now, Pikipeak final evo looks less promising than an already "ok at most" Cincinno (Cincinno has powerful tail slap, unlikely on a bird mon), this of course could change with a new typing, new moves (flying counterpart of bullet seed would be awesome), good BST and/or even a change of ability.

Speaking of Yungoos and Pursuit, it makes me wonder if it does get it will Pursuit get boosted? I can see an easy mistake happening where Pursuit does get boosted, it all has to do with the order things are done.

If they apply the boosted attack as soon as the opponent switches out, it's very likely that Pursuit may get the Stakeout damage increase. If they apply the boost once the new opponent has switched in then Pursuit doesn't get increased.

I think they want to go with the latter though mistakes have happened before (though this could easily be avoided by just not giving it Pursuit as it goes against its Ability anyway).
I believe since Pursuit hits before the switch actually occurs, it does not get the boost since the Pokemon that was on the field at the start of the turn is still on the field. Heck, that line of thinking probably solves all questions on how the Stakeout boost works, in case there was confusion. Pursuit + Stakeout seems kind of conflicting, but I can see how it could cause an uncertain situation when it comes time to switching out a weakened/dark weak Pokemon. I think in most cases it would be situational though, since most of the time Yungoos would probably rather have a higher damaging move.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Grubbin's evo will probably be a Bug|Electric, which would be cool.
Or Bug/Ground. I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling that "eats electricity" thing is a bit of a throw off. Its description is like "it has strong jaws, burrows holes, oh and btw it eats electricity. Pure Bug". I think it also being pure Bug-type is making me question it, if it was going to have an elemental typing I would think it would be something more obvious (sure its yellow and orange, but then why isn't it already Electric-type then). I just think they're going to throw us a curve ball somewhere, I mean another thing we got to think about is this gen bug is coming right off of Vivillon which was popular among collectors due to its gimmick. Now I would call it out if the gimmick for Grubbin's final evo was beetles with different patterns on their shell (which they could very well do since beetles shells are very varied between species), but with that electricity mention yet being pure Bug-type coming off of Vivillon I feel something is up.

Speaking of its final evo, thinking about it I'm thinking that Grubbin might be based on a glowworm. Despite its name a glowworm is a beetle larvae which, going with its name, are bioluminescent. In addition, though not found on Hawaii, they are found in Australia and New Zealand and as we saw with Nekkoala that they might be using Alola as a catch all isolated island region such as Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and maybe even the Galapagos and Madagascar (even though that's close to Africa, it still has the lemurs and that's a very popular suggestion for a Pokemon). Anyway, back on track, there are a few possible beetles that a glowworm can become:

Fireflies/lightning bugs: Probably the most obvious, and while we have Volbeat & Illumise, I think some people would want a literal "lightning bug" Pokemon.
Phengodidae & Rhagophthalmidae: These beetle as it has a wire-y antenna which I can see them turning into electricity or wires. I would say one thing working against it would be its larvae form looking like a worm but that doesn't mean diddly-squat in Pokemon. Also the Rhagophthalmidae is found in Asia and we know sometimes Asian animals get inclusion benefits.
Keroplatidae & Mycetophilidae: Not beetles but rather flies, specifically fungus gnats. Whatever the case, we have been needing some kind of fly-like Pokemon even though they are kind of elongated then what we usually think a fly is. However the Keroplatidae is from New Zealand.
Orfelia fultoni: Another fly but a notable one, it retains its bioluminescence.

As a final note, there are several caves around the world well known for being home of a species of glowworm which lights up the caves. I'd list them but honestly its just easier to look for yourselves. Still, that would sound like an interesting location to base a cave on in the game.

Or Bug/Ground. I don't know why, but I have a weird feeling that "eats electricity" thing is a bit of a throw off. Its description is like "it has strong jaws, burrows holes, oh and btw it eats electricity. Pure Bug". I think it also being pure Bug-type is making me question it, if it was going to have an elemental typing I would think it would be something more obvious (sure its yellow and orange, but then why isn't it already Electric-type then). I just think they're going to throw us a curve ball somewhere, I mean another thing we got to think about is this gen bug is coming right off of Vivillon which was popular among collectors due to its gimmick. Now I would call it out if the gimmick for Grubbin's final evo was beetles with different patterns on their shell (which they could very well do since beetles shells are very varied between species), but with that electricity mention yet being pure Bug-type coming off of Vivillon I feel something is up.

Speaking of its final evo, thinking about it I'm thinking that Grubbin might be based on a glowworm. Despite its name a glowworm is a beetle larvae which, going with its name, are bioluminescent. In addition, though not found on Hawaii, they are found in Australia and New Zealand and as we saw with Nekkoala that they might be using Alola as a catch all isolated island region such as Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and maybe even the Galapagos and Madagascar (even though that's close to Africa, it still has the lemurs and that's a very popular suggestion for a Pokemon). Anyway, back on track, there are a few possible beetles that a glowworm can become:

Fireflies/lightning bugs: Probably the most obvious, and while we have Volbeat & Illumise, I think some people would want a literal "lightning bug" Pokemon.
Phengodidae & Rhagophthalmidae: These beetle as it has a wire-y antenna which I can see them turning into electricity or wires. I would say one thing working against it would be its larvae form looking like a worm but that doesn't mean diddly-squat in Pokemon. Also the Rhagophthalmidae is found in Asia and we know sometimes Asian animals get inclusion benefits.
Keroplatidae & Mycetophilidae: Not beetles but rather flies, specifically fungus gnats. Whatever the case, we have been needing some kind of fly-like Pokemon even though they are kind of elongated then what we usually think a fly is. However the Keroplatidae is from New Zealand.
Orfelia fultoni: Another fly but a notable one, it retains its bioluminescence.

As a final note, there are several caves around the world well known for being home of a species of glowworm which lights up the caves. I'd list them but honestly its just easier to look for yourselves. Still, that would sound like an interesting location to base a cave on in the game.

I find bug/ground unlikely for its final evo, it burrows underground 'cause it's a larva, just like Nincada (that is bug/ground indeed, but doesn't retain its type while evolving). I see all your reconnecting to real animals, but let me tell you that Galvantula isn't related to any kind of real bioluminescence in spiders, nor Volcarona in Cecropia moths. And Illumise/Volbeat aren't even part electric/fire/fairy for that matter! From Grubbin I'm expecting some kind of randomly electric beetle (it looks too much like a coleopter larva), and I don't think it'll give up those massive jaws while evolving. Just a guess of course, pokémon evolutions can be weird af.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Say that to Pinsir.
it'd surely be better if it wasn't part flying lol quad rock weakness is so bad and flying typing doesn't help it at all, it's only there for the flavor of aerilate

i guess this drifted off-course a bit? sorry if it did, couldn't resist :/

I could see Bug/Ground, baseless speculation as it is, Grubbin kinda has a plug/socket thing going on (especially if it swings on wires) so doing something with a "ground" cable would make sense. Plus I could totally see it becoming a centipede-y cabley thing that digs holes.

That's all the speculation anyone's gonna get from me :V I'm just as likely to say it doesn't evolve at all.

it'd surely be better if it wasn't part flying lol quad rock weakness is so bad and flying typing doesn't help it at all, it's only there for the flavor of aerilate

i guess this drifted off-course a bit? sorry if it did, couldn't resist :/
You mean, "part bug"... aerilate flying STAB is the reason why it can be fearsome. Bug is unfortunately a terrible typing, and I'm really hoping GF'll change that a bit (fairies just worsened it for no reason). Yeah sorry for the OT.

Say that to Pinsir.
That's only fue to recoiless pseudo life orb 102 BP stab and priority with access to SD. It's flying spam.

Only Volcarona and Vivillon get access to Hurricane with a decent BST to back it up and only Vivillon got stab on it, no high powered flying stab, no use for bug flying realistically.

That's only fue to recoiless pseudo life orb 102 BP stab and priority with access to SD. It's flying spam.

Only Volcarona and Vivillon get access to Hurricane with a decent BST to back it up and only Vivillon got stab on it, no high powered flying stab, no use for bug flying realistically.
Honestly though I'd like to see a bug ground because I doubt Gremlin evo will be any better than Galvantula while Bug Ground is actually a neat and potentially useful type that will be pretty much unique.

Honestly though I'd like to see a bug ground because I doubt Gremlin evo will be any better than Galvantula while Bug Ground is actually a neat and potentially useful type that will be pretty much unique.
That's true. The only Bug/Ground we currently have are... Nincada and Sandy Wormadam, neither of which is particularly viable. So, I welcome a potentially better Bug/Ground. Regarding that larva, the fact that it feeds on electricity makes me wonder if its potential Evolution will have Volt Absorb, Lightning Rod or Motor Drive, or if it will have one of said Abilities as its Hidden Ability.

Last edited:
I would like to see a Palm Tree Pokemon. Or maybe Mega Tropius (that'll make my one friend very happy). Something about Coconuts too would be nice in terms of other plant-life.

My ultimate question is: Ice types. The obvious place to put them is on top of the Mauna Loa/Kea analogue or in a cave on the island.
Rowlet takes some things from coconuts

Also Meowth is only native to Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh, so this may mean the player character moved from one of these regions.
Probably Sinnoh because in Kanto and Johto its version exclusive. I guarantee that it won't be Johto becaue thats where the Hoenn Player comes from

That would actually be quite interesting. So, after doing a little research, I think an hypothetical Fire-type "Pele Pokémon" should form a legendary duo with an hypothetical Ice-type "Poliahu Pokémon", since their counterparts are rivals in myths.

Anyway, from what I have found, there is actually a quartet of main deities in Hawaiian culture, which are:

- Kane, father of living creatures and the most important deity;
- Ku, god of war;
- Lono, god of agriculture and connected to rainfalls, peace and music;
- Kanaloa, god of the underworld and ruler of the ocean, is a close companion of Kane.

If these were to become Pokémon, I suppose they could have these types:

- Kane Pokémon: Ground / Normal / Dragon;
- Ku Pokémon: Fire / Steel / Dark (could have Final Gambit as an attack due to its counterpart getting many sacrifices);
- Lono: Grass / Ground (could have moves like Grass Whistle and Rain Dance);
- Kanaloa: Ghost / Water / Dark.

However, the Hawaiian culture is so full of deities that there shouldn't be any trouble finding some material for some legendaries. Among the most important ones there are:

- Pele (as previously mentioned by Vader_the_White), goddess of volcanoes which controls fire, lightning and wind. Potential Fire-, Electric- or Flying-type.
- Poliahu, goddess of snow and rival of Pele. Potential Ice-type.
- Hina, goddess of Moon. Potential Dark- or Fairy-type. Only issue is that it may clash with Lunala.
- Laka, goddess of hula. Potential Normal- or Psychic-type. Could learn many dance moves, like Petal Dance or Teeter Dance.
- Kuula, god of fishermen. Potential Water-type. Could have Suction Cups as its Ability.
- Papa, fertility goddess and Earth mother. Potential Ground-type.

If you would like to find more useful info, this site illustrates many things about Hawaiian myths and legends.
those 4 could be the 4 guardians of the islands

I believe since Pursuit hits before the switch actually occurs, it does not get the boost since the Pokemon that was on the field at the start of the turn is still on the field. Heck, that line of thinking probably solves all questions on how the Stakeout boost works, in case there was confusion. Pursuit + Stakeout seems kind of conflicting, but I can see how it could cause an uncertain situation when it comes time to switching out a weakened/dark weak Pokemon. I think in most cases it would be situational though, since most of the time Yungoos would probably rather have a higher damaging move.
Pursuit hit before the switch, stakeout is after.

Last edited:
Ok taking a quick break just to post this on the whole "yungoos looks like trump" thing

so

tell me why --you think he looks truuuump?

tell me why --he's just a blonde with baaaaangs?

I'll tell you why --you guys have trump in the mind

you want it thaaaat way

Replace image with any other blond guy with bangs of your choosing and you'll get the same "omg yungoos looks like ____" effect
will anyone rememer this old song? who cares stupid song fits stupid "resemblance" also the end of the school year is fun[/White]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)