Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can confirm a few things about Togedemaru (the Pika clone) for anyone who can't read the trailer. It's ability is shown to be Lightning Rod and it has access to Discharge. It's name can be taken literally as "thorned and round" (棘で丸 (とげでまる/toge de maru) lit. "thorned and round") and may also be referencing the fact that it is Electric-type (電気 (でんき/denki) lit. "electricity"). This says a lot about the way they are going, and it wouldn't surprise me if it has Iron Barbs (called てつのトゲ (tetsu no toge) lit. Iron Thorns or Thorns of Iron) as its secondary ability because of this.

I don't know if someone has mentioned it before but I just saw the new mons and I gotta say I hope to god Drampa is a Dunsparce evolution because it sure looks like one! After 10+ years of waiting! I'm really hyped for that.

Last edited:
I just had a thought: can you imagine how powerful Kyogre with Thunder will be paired with Tapu Koko? Or how much Tapu Koko will appreciate Drizzle/Primordial Sea-assisted Thunder, paired with Elekimaker? Those two could make for a potent offensive pair in Gen VII Double Ubers.

And there will be few Ground types that will want to come in to take out Tapu Koko. Grass types will still be a problem for Kyogre however, even with Ice Beam.

Grubbin's evos Charjabug and Vikavolt look sick, gonna be on my ingame team for sure. Hope it's better than Galvantula competitively, bug types are cool. Also Tapu Koko's ability activating electric terrain is interesting. I'd always wanted there to be pokemon that could activate those affects with abilities like Drizzle and Drought. Might make the moves a bit more viable and lead to some new strategies. Hopefully there are some pokemon that have variants of the ability for Grassy Terrain and Misty Terrain... Trio maybe?

breh

強いだね
so I posted on this late at night on irc, but

togedemaru is possibly one of the laziest names in recent history, lol. it's not pachirisu in how awkward it is to read, but it sounds very decidedly japanese and even there it's... not very creative

棘 = toge; spike (as in togepi)
出 = de; stem of 出る, deru; a general verb that means "make <x> go out" more or less but here it's basically "protrude"
丸 = maru; circular or circle (here I'll take a dimensional leap and extend to "ball")

so we get "spike-protruding ball" for a spike-protruding ball.

I don't even see any semblance of a pun in this either lol; I'm not native but I'm kind of curious if there's actually any wordplay here at all

for the rest of the mons,

the tapu koko move will probably be called "Nature Rage" or "Nature's Rage" (the same word is used for Rage's Japanese name)

the battery mon is a pretty dull pun and is basically a portmanteau of the words for battery and (beetle) grub

its evo's name is basically "Stag (like the beetle) cannon"... if gf feels particularly amused, they'll give it rototiller since the first kanji in "stag beetle" that it takes its name from means "hoe"

old man dragon's name confuses me but the first part means "old man"

uglyfish's name leads with "triggerfish" but the back end of it idk, maybe "squeaking noises" apparently but that doesn't make much sense (e: actually "grinding noises" which fits more)

my guess for beefly is "fly (like the animal) fairy" but the end could also be other random shit like "flea" or "free"

Last edited:
I really like the Electric-Bug types, and it's pretty cool how Tapu Koko is also a Pokemon as well. I wonder if the Pokemon that appears to be the resident Pikaclone (the Electric/Steel one) will have an evolution or if it's going to stay unviable for all of eternity like the others.

Also, HAGIGISHIRI'S ABILITY IS GOING TO BE BROKEN. What is it with the new non-clone abilities and being broken?

Finally commenting on the new Pokemon: If Togedemaru gets Follow Me, Nuzzle, and Super Fang, I am going to call it: Togedemaru for 2017 VGC Worlds MVP.

I like the designs of pretty much all the new 'mons. Not a fan of the Water/Psychic's fish design, but it isnt too bad. The ability is pretty cool, and if it is a Permanent Quick Guard that extends to the team it would have to be pretty bad to not be used in doubles. Meanwhile Tapu Koko is probably going to be popular in most metagames, especially double battle formats. Electric/Fairy is pretty good defensively and not bad offensively while it has an ability that prevents a status AND increases its offensive power at the same time. Plus there is evidence that it will be part of a legendary trio, so we can probably expect a BST closer to Terrakion and Suicune, meaning it should be expected to settle comfortably in OU unless it has a serious flaw somewhere.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Frankly speaking, I thought Sharpedo had a bad design.
But now, the new pokemon introduced, water/psychic is based on a pirahna but still looks UhhGhhLie :(
While tapo koko, looks like it's gonna have 3 more guardians friends from the remaing 3 islands.That means Solgaleo+lunala+magearna+tapu koko +3 other island guardians, oh my lord, that's 7 legendaries.While can anyone have a reason why tapu koko is a fairy?I dont think i missed anything.....

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Alright now, Bruxish looks so fucking ridiculous that I can't help but find it funny; seems like something straight outta Finding Nemo and I love it lmao.
Imo Vikavolt, Togedemaru and Tapu Koko are some goddamn awful english names, though.
Vikavolt and Tapu Koko are alright, but Togedemaru sounds straight out of some Japanese mythology or something

I'm really happy about these designs, most of them are good, even box bug! Although I was hoping the thing would evolve into something like a beetle car (which would be awesome.) but what it does evolve too is pretty cool.

Is it confirmed to be Grubbin's evolution? It looks similar in a way and the Bug/Electric typing makes sense.

Has anyone else noticed that the Arm thingies on Tapu Koko can be brought together to make a bird head? I wonder if the others have a similar totem pole like motif.

Apparently i forgot the trailer.

Last edited:
Over all opinion of the reveals is pretty good. I like Vikavolt, Charjabug and Cutefly. I love Bruxish. Tagedemaru is okay, don't really like it or dislike it. Tapu Koko is also okay, but the whole two part name thing will bug me if it turns out to not be a legendary (I doubt that it is not but you know). However, I hate Drampa. It is just so dam ugly. That being sad, one terrible mon is fine with the over all good content of mons they showed off here.

I would just like to officially complain about the image Serebii's using for Drampa. It makes it look like a complete doof. Here's a better one. Tell me it isn't amazing (although I have to say I'm not really seeing the Dunsparce connection). I think design-wise this is one of my favorite mons.

Edit: Also I'm pretty psyched for pika clone. Electric is a pretty good typing to append to steel despite adding just one resist and doubling the ground weakness for the sole reason that it's one of the very few typings in the game that resists BoltBeam. I've always wanted another mon with this typing.

I would just like to officially complain about the image Serebii's using for Drampa. It makes it look like a complete doof. Here's a better one. Tell me it isn't amazing (although I have to say I'm not really seeing the Dunsparce connection). I think design-wise this is one of my favorite mons.

Edit: Also I'm pretty psyched for pika clone. Electric is a pretty good typing to append to steel despite adding just one resist and doubling the ground weakness for the sole reason that it's one of the very few typings in the game that resists BoltBeam. I've always wanted another mon with this typing.
It is not amazing :P. In fact, I think the picture provided makes it look even worse. But that is tastes and opinions.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Talked about it last night on the Orange Island IRC channel so I was able to collect most of my thoughts there. Now that we know its legit:

Tapu Koko:
So is that its actual name? If so that's interesting and it's not like any naming convention we had before. I suppose for a group of Legendaries we can make this exception, also help to show its Legendary status of having a more name-like, well, name than a species.
Design wise a bit of a complicated design, though at the same time fits the "guardian" appearance. Obviously has a bird theme (specifically chicken/rooster) to it (we'll get to typing), its having a shield or shell of some kind that can be combined to look like a bird-lik face. Neat, will the other Guardians have such a gimmick (was talked about in the Orange Island IRC channel maybe they'll have a sort of totem theme going on, Tapu Koko being the head while the others are the body, arms, and legs).
Typing is Electric/Fairy. Well already this sort of breaks the alchemy theory a bit, especially with the idea that Melemele Island's Guardian is of Water (I suppose it could be Air and the Mountain Island one is of water if they make it having to do with ice). However it's a cool typing that's only been done once by a lackluster Pikaclone so excited to see what a Legendary could do with it. That all said, a Fairy Legendary. It begins folk. I don't want Fairy to become the new dragon where a whole ton of Legendaries are part Fairy-type. I get it, fairies are legendary creatures so it's logical to base Legendaries on them. Except Tapu Koko doesn't look like a Fairy-like creature, at best it looks like a spirit (though wouldn't it be Ghost in that case?). Hopefully the other islands will have their Guardians be different types (maybe Dragon and Ghost to get all the mythical types).
Elekimaker is an interesting Ability, one that activates a field effect automatically! Imagine there being one that lets you do this for the Rooms like Trick Room? Also nice to see they aren't abandoning Terrain moves like they've done with other series of moves. If the Guardians have similar Abilities we'll most likely be getting a few more. Though now I'm on the watch to see if Tapu Koko gets Rest or a sleep inducing move. :P
Its Signatrue Move is "Wrath of Nature", sounds like it would be powerful though doesn't sound Electric-type. Fairy-type, maybe? *sigh*
Hm, Hala is using it. I guess on occasion the Guardian may let the strongest trainer on the island use it if they want to battle?
BTW, in the intrductory video, did Tapu Koko just vaporize those Spearow? O_o

Charjabug & Vokavolt:
Obviously Grubbin's evolutions. And as guessed by the majority, it evolves into a Bug/Electric.
But as I predicted, Charjabug looks to be based on the pupa stage of beetles. Also it looks to be designed after a battery pack (hinted by its Japanese name) or generator? And it does have a snazzy pair of shades.
Vikavolt is able to fly yet is Bug/Electric. So either it has Levitate (which would help distinguish it from the Joltic line) or needs another Ability to help it stand out (its Japanese name hints of it being ome kind of gun or cannon, maybe give it Mega Launcher with an Electric-type pulse move?). As I said, if this is a gen bug it's coming off the heels of Vivillon so needs something to not look like a step back. Anyway it looks cool with those jumper cable clamps mandibles.

Drampa:
Well let's get this joke out of the way.
Wait, Normal/Dragon? Well it's nice to see a new type combination (and oddly another one where Normal is first), but for Drampa? It looks either Water/Dragon or Flying/Dragon depending on how you see its design (unless its suppose to be both thus why Normal so it can fly and swim. Hmm, imagine if this thing becomes the ultimate HM slave learning Fly, the Water HMs, and maybe the othe HMs as well). To me it looks like a dragon figurehead (especially with the blank eyes), like CAP's Naviathan. However I am now seeing maybe some airy design, like the sea form could be interpreted as clouds.
Frenzy increases Special Attack by two stages. In the vid it was attacked with a Super Effective attack and brought down to red HP, so the increase is either from getting hit by a Super Effective attack or falling below a certain amount of HP. If Drampa can heal I could see potential in this (and if Drampa's stats are also good enough which is debatable. A random dragon that's very likely not the psuedo-Legendary, I'm getting Druddigon vibes here).
Also one thing talked about in the Orange Island IRC channel, brought up by DHR-107, is could this thing be a Lapras expy? Certinaly looks like it could be, though being Normal/Dragon I'm now doubting it. Could be wrong, and I brought up since Alola will probably have a bit of Surfing to it maybe they'll be introducing more water transport Pokemon (would be nice to have more Pokemon have their model on the overworld... which would be easier to do now that they're using the in-battle models on the overworld).

Bruxish:
... This thing looks terrifying. It seems to be based on the Reef Triggerfish (Hawaii's official fish, thank you DHR-107) and a Filefish (thank you Bulbapedia). Very colorful, though you're probably wondering whu it was combined with a teeth grinding disorder (bruxism). Well it just so happens those two species of fish have teeth and do use them to eat.
Though not sure if it'll help it much, being Water/Psychic it sounds like a Special attacker unless they make it a mix which will probably be more of a detriment then help.
However its Ability, Dazzle/Vibrant Body, might be useful in the metagame. It blocks priority moves, shown when block Kangaskhan's Fake Out or, in the leak video, Pikachu's Quick Attack. Could it (and Stakeout) be moves that revolutionize the metagame or will they be stuck on mons who stats can't really bring out these moves full potential?

Cutiefly:
Based on a Bee Fly, specifically the Bombylius Major, as its name applies its cute. Surprised they released another bug in the same announcement as Grubbin's evolutions, though it being Bug/Fairy does stand it apart.
However, just like when Grubbin was released, there's nothing really to say about it right now. It just is.

Togedemaru:
I question whether this will be its English name. Now for the Pikaclones they usually try to keep aspects of it Japanese name, but still this is a mouthful for an English speaker (especially for a child).
Originally thought a porcupine or hedgehog Pikaclone, it's name reveals it to be based on the Ryukyu Spiny Rat (who's Japanese name is "Togenezumi"). Alright, gives it a "spike" gimmick.
Oh, and its Electric/Steel, so maybe there's also a mace theme to it? Not sure what the Steel-typing will do for it (besides quad weak to Ground).
Lightning Rod is alright if generic, and it gets a new move called "Discharge Strike" which looks... like a Special Electric-typ move. Going to need to know more about it.

Zygardes 50%*2=Perfect:
Zygardes 50% confirmed to not only have access to its other Signature Moves but also will be able to have the Swarm Change Ability. Interesting, I guess there will be a way to change out its Ability (and if that's true maybe 10% may have a different Ability of its own)? Though now this presents a question: Why use 10% over 50%?

That's all my thoughts for now. Time to go through the comments and like/respond.

I'm personally really happy that the terrain effects are getting abilities now. They're pretty useless on their own as they waste a moveslot and a turn; but as something automatic they provide really nice little boosts. They're perfect for an ability and hence I'm just glad their potential now gets a chance to be explored.

Alright, so I've re-watched the trailer shown a few times now to reevaluate everything I just saw, and to be able to say something here after people have posted their thoughts on these new reveals and... well, the first time I watched it, I didn't feel anything from these new Pokemon, and even now I still don't. These designs all come off to me as either "meh" or "really bad" which is unfortunate since I felt they had something going with the other revealed Pokemon earlier.

The only ones that are kind of interesting to me are Kuwaganon and Jijīron, but even then their designs are kinda iffy.

I dunno, these designs may begin to grow on me later down the road, but as of right now, I'm not really too excited about this reveal.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pikachu315111 : One potential reason to use Zygarde 10% over Zygarde 50% could be that it seems like Zygarde Complete got more of its health back after the swarm change from 10% than 50%. I imagine this is because Zygarde 10% has less HP (judging from how Zygarde Complete has 216 base HP which is double of Zygarde 50%'s, I imagine Zygarde 10%'s is 54, or half of the later form).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)