Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the comments section for the new Pokemon reveal, I've noticed something that other people seem to be thinking that we haven't yet...

What if there is a guardian like Tapu Koko for each island? Kind of like the weather trio, lake trio, etc. That would make it somewhat a legendary (Maybe more like a mythical? Or a category all on its own.) but in its own way. It would be even more interesting if each island guardian had a different totem head, the thing when Tapu Koko had its arm shields around its head making it look like a bird.

Reading the comments section for the new Pokemon reveal, I've noticed something that other people seem to be thinking that we haven't yet...

What if there is a guardian like Tapu Koko for each island? Kind of like the weather trio, lake trio, etc. That would make it somewhat a legendary (Maybe more like a mythical? Or a category all on its own.) but in its own way. It would be even more interesting if each island guardian had a different totem head, the thing when Tapu Koko had its arm shields around its head making it look like a bird.
I... uh... think everyone's thinking that.

On the freemium 3DS game Pokemon Shuffle, there were a few interesting Pokemon released - the new forms of Zygarde that have since been confirmed to be in the upcoming games, Ash Greninja, and something called "angry Pikachu" (whose ability is a massive damage multiplier). Certainly seems to suggest that at least Pikachu will be getting some sort of special buff/move. I'm wondering if perhaps the rumored "synchroevolution" doesn't so much entail merging Pokemon and trainer aesthetically like seen in the anime Greninja but rather is a buff of some sort to the Pokemon/its moves in a different way than mega evolution. And speaking of which, kind of strange they haven't mentioned it at all yet or revealed any new mega evolutions (or even showed mega bracelets), though I don't see them ditching the concept.

On an irrelevant side note, make Rockruff's evolution dark/rock please thanks.

Really? You're ready to make that announcement now, three days after its leak, and with only the bare essentials of its design and lore, just based on the filtering system of the site? Well then, I guess that Zygarde and Magearna aren't legendaries, either...

We have more pointing toward Tapu Koko being a legendary at the moment than we do away. As far as I can tell, the Legendary filter is there for the core legendaries of the games, Solgaleo and Lunala, and pokemon.com has always been somewhat arbitrary like that. Broad statements like "Tapu Koko is not a legendary, that's the end of it", when we barely understand what's going on, don't do or help much.
zygrde isn' new, and magearna is not a legendary

The professor has his own Rockruff

This is just downright adorable
that isn't real.
oh wait
it is

EIther way, regarding Tapu Koko, Its not a legendary. This is for two reason. We know it is owned by Hala. However, there has never been a pokemon that cannot be caught(technically, volcanion will become obtainable eventually). So we do know that we can also get it. That means that there needs to `be two. So it can't be a legend

Last edited:
Okay...? Most of what we now know of Zygarde's place, lore, and forms are in fact new, and Magearna is officially listed as a Mythical Pokémon. While Mythical Pokémon may not be something that's commonly refered to in the US, they are still a Japanese classification for some legendaries. So yes, both Zygarde and Magearna are relavent to Sun and Moon and they are both legendaries, and it's strongly inferred that Tapu Koko is as well... There's really no need to be so cross about it...

Also, Kurona's image is currently on Serebii's homepage. It's from today's episode of Pokénchi.

Misty is downright broken, if I recall it halves dragon type damage, prevents status on grounded Pokémon(Great for set up sweepers and can outright destroy stall passive damage capabilities)...if the user gets volturn this might become the second most broken thing in existence.

I believe that the E3 Treehouse thing said as much... Not only that, but the Strange Souvenir may hint at what one looks like too, since it is said to resemble a guardian pokemon.

Misty is downright broken, if I recall it halves dragon type damage, prevents status on grounded Pokémon(Great for set up sweepers and can outright destroy stall passive damage capabilities)...if the user gets volturn this might become the second most broken thing in existence.
Problem is that Misty's distribution means only Fairy types get it, who are immune to Dragon anyway, and the Dragon-type you set it against will likely have already switched out. An ability will help somewhat with this, but it still doesn't change the fact that a Dragon-type facing a Fairy with Misty Terrain up is likely to switch. Also, your opponents get status immunity too.

Problem is that Misty's distribution means only Fairy types get it, who are immune to Dragon anyway, and the Dragon-type you set it against will likely have already switched out. An ability will help somewhat with this, but it still doesn't change the fact that a Dragon-type facing a Fairy with Misty Terrain up is likely to switch. Also, your opponents get status immunity too.
What's prankster meowstic?

A terrain inducing ability landing 5 turns of Misty volturning into a SD wallbreaker immune to WoW or paralyze is downright GG for stall.

EIther way, regarding Tapu Koko, Its not a legendary. This is for two reason. We know it is owned by Hala. However, there has never been a pokemon that cannot be caught(technically, volcanion will become obtainable eventually). So we do know that we can also get it. That means that there needs to `be two. So it can't be a legend
Who says that Hala doesn't give it to you, or that he only temporarily takes control/ownership of it in one scene and releases it afterward?

There's also already plenty of (even in-game) canon suggesting that there are multiples of some legendaries: Phione is more or less now officially a legendary, and it can breed; the event Arceus in HG/SS explicitly creates a new Dialga/Palkia/Giratina egg in front of the player; there's the event Regigigas in Platinum which unlocks the three Regis which then unlocks another Regigigas; and Pyramid King Brandon owns several legendaries that you can also obtain in the same game.

There's also exceptions to every rule introduced eventually: Outside of events, no one has just given the player a legendary until Latios/Latias in ORAS; no legendary could be different genders until Heatran; and no legendary could breed or hatch out of an egg until Manaphy/Phione. In cases like these you could just as well have taken screenshots of Heatran being either male or female and arguing that it couldn't possibly be a legendary based on that.

Edit: Also,
there has never been a pokemon that cannot be caught
Floette-E (with her programmed unique base stats and signature move) says hi.

Last edited:
On the freemium 3DS game Pokemon Shuffle, there were a few interesting Pokemon released - the new forms of Zygarde that have since been confirmed to be in the upcoming games, Ash Greninja, and something called "angry Pikachu" (whose ability is a massive damage multiplier). Certainly seems to suggest that at least Pikachu will be getting some sort of special buff/move. I'm wondering if perhaps the rumored "synchroevolution" doesn't so much entail merging Pokemon and trainer aesthetically like seen in the anime Greninja but rather is a buff of some sort to the Pokemon/its moves in a different way than mega evolution. And speaking of which, kind of strange they haven't mentioned it at all yet or revealed any new mega evolutions (or even showed mega bracelets), though I don't see them ditching the concept.

On an irrelevant side note, make Rockruff's evolution dark/rock please thanks.
Angry Pikachu might be a reference to the Hoenn saga in the Anime where Pikachu was suffering from an overdose of electricity that made him stronger but more aggressive and risked killing him.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay...? Most of what we now know of Zygarde's place, lore, and forms are in fact new, and Magearna is officially listed as a Mythical Pokémon. While Mythical Pokémon may not be something that's commonly refered to in the US, they are still a Japanese classification for some legendaries. So yes, both Zygarde and Magearna are relavent to Sun and Moon and they are both legendaries, and it's strongly inferred that Tapu Koko is as well... There's really no need to be so cross about it...

Also, Kurona's image is currently on Serebii's homepage. It's from today's episode of Pokénchi.
Sorry to nitpick but Mythical Pokemon and Legendary Pokemon are considered separate, distinct groups of Pokemon. Anyway I don't care really if Tapu Koko is or not, we don't have confirmation of it I guess we'll find out when we find out. No need to get into such heated discussion about it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

1. Zygarde's Formes are new. And even if it's the species itself is not new it's still a Legendary yet doesn't have the Legendary filter on the site.
2. Magearna has been confirmed to be a Mythical Pokemon.
3. I guess this means Kyurem isn't a Legendary as it allowed itself to be commanded by Ghetsis. :P We know Hala is the strongest trainer on Melemele Island and that Tapu Koko is a curious Pokemon, on occasion it probably allows itself to be commanded by Hala (and maybe later the playable character) to battle someone if finds intriguing. "Why doesn't it battle by itself"? A Pokemon is at its strongest when battling alongside a person, also maybe battling alongside someone means it can't be captured.
4. As I said, there's been multiple Legendaries who have been treated like there's only one of them, specifically the Pokemon with godlike powers. Weather Trio, Creation Trio, Lake Guardians, Arceus, Regigigas, Forces of Nature, Tao Trio, Mortality Duo, and now Solgaleo and Lunala. Even Mewtwo and Genesect are treated like there's only one of them. It's called story and gameplay segregation. They want these Pokemon to be special so act there's only one in existent though at the same time it's a game so want the player to catch and use them. Storywise, if you're acquired to catch a Legendary, I guess it's assumed the player character eventually releases it after their adventure (a part of the game the player doesn't see).
5. It's just been confirmed Zygarde Core & Cell, which are considered Pokemon, cannot be used in battle. Thus they can't be caught either.

However, as Coronis said, they probably won't tell us anything more until the games are released (which I sort of hope they do. Tapu Koko they sort of needed to tell us about as we see it early in our adventure. However I would like to discover the other three guardians myself). No one is convincing anyone of their initial opinion so let's drop it.

It's great to see that Electric Terrain is getting somewhat of a buff with Electric Surge. The problem with all of the Terrains (Grassy, Misty, and Electric) is that they hardly have good distribution as it is (hopefully the new games change this), and the Mons that can learn them normally have better stuff to run, so they're all but useless. But having an ability automatically set it like the Weather abilities (hopefully we don't get Terrain Wars...) makes them better, even if just slightly. Electric Terrain is actually a great effect, as not only do you basically get an Electric Gem to your Electric-Type attacks, you also become immune to Sleep, which would actually be a pretty big deal in OU and Ubers depending on how good Tapu Koko is (I'm assuming it's going to have at least 580 BST like all of the Non-Cover Legends do).

Speaking of the Terrains, now that we know of one ability that automatically sets a Terrain, do you'll think there will be more "Auto-Terrain" abilities to follow in the future, such as Grassy Surge or Misty Surge? I'd hope that this is the case, as the other Terrains are genuinely interesting, but as said before, having to waste a moveslot and a turn that could both be used for something better in the long term is a waste. I would personally also like to see an item that extends the turn limits of these abilities, but this is borderline wishlisting as it is.
First I think we should keep in mind just because there's a Grassy & Misty Terrain doesn't mean they have to make an Ability for them. For one it wouldn't make sense for one of the Guardians to get an auto-Misty Terrain as Tapu Koko is part Fairy-type so why wouldn't it get it? Also, if all Guardians were to get an auto-terrain Ability, that would mean they'd need to make at least one new terrain and if they're doing that who says they can't make more? It was probably either planned to have Tapu Koko have the auto-Electric Terrain Ability or picked to be Melemele Island's Guardian because of it as we're familiar with Electric Terrain, for all we know the other Guardians have all new terrain moves.

Or Angry Pikachu is just a special variant these side games can have. Also I think by now Pokemon Shuffle has released all the Pokemon there are, unless they start putting in the Gen VII Pokemon in early they'd need to start adding in special variants if they want to release new tiles.

Sorry to nitpick but Mythical Pokemon and Legendary Pokemon are considered separate, distinct groups of Pokemon. Anyway I don't care really if Tapu Koko is or not, we don't have confirmation of it I guess we'll find out when we find out. No need to get into such heated discussion about it.
Ah, well, the intent is there. Prior to Gen V, Mythical Pokémon were a class of their own in the Japanese lore, but they fell under the blanket of Legendary Pokémon in the west, or at least in the US. I hadn't been aware that the classification had shifted here as well, only that it existed in Japan. Either way, all Mythical pokémon are still legendary in nature, even if they are no longer Legendary. Phillosphically, it's like squares and rectangles, I think. Thanks for pointing out the distinction, it's quite fascinating.

Or Angry Pikachu is just a special variant these side games can have. Also I think by now Pokemon Shuffle has released all the Pokemon there are, unless they start putting in the Gen VII Pokemon in early they'd need to start adding in special variants if they want to release new tiles.
I really don't want to derail the thread, but I feel the need to interfere here. First, shuffle is far from reaching a saturation point. To start, there are less than 600 released Pokemon for shuffle iirc. Also, they're repeating several events because they're exclusive Pokemon that can be caught only for a limited amount of time. They've just opened the precedent of doubling the Pokemon with shiny Magikarp and shiny Gyarados, both having different abilities from the non shiny.

To conclude this shuffle interruption, data miners found 7 (iirc) other expression Pikachus, like smiling and winking and afraid, also winking versions of several Pokemon, besides Ash-Greninja and Zygarde 10 and 100 that we already got. Shuffle has at least one or two more years of fun, considering they tend to release 10 to 20 Pokemon At a time, when they do it, maybe more, if they keep updating the game as new versions of Pokemon see released.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I really don't want to derail the thread, but I feel the need to interfere here. First, shuffle is far from reaching a saturation point. To start, there are less than 600 released Pokemon for shuffle iirc. Also, they're repeating several events because they're exclusive Pokemon that can be caught only for a limited amount of time. They've just opened the precedent of doubling the Pokemon with shiny Magikarp and shiny Gyarados, both having different abilities from the non shiny.

To conclude this shuffle interruption, data miners found 7 (iirc) other expression Pikachus, like smiling and winking and afraid, also winking versions of several Pokemon, besides Ash-Greninja and Zygarde 10 and 100 that we already got. Shuffle has at least one or two more years of fun, considering they tend to release 10 to 20 Pokemon At a time, when they do it, maybe more, if they keep updating the game as new versions of Pokemon see released.
Did I ever say it was reaching a saturation point? I'm sorry for being incorrect it didn't have all the Pokemon in it. Still, Shiny Pokemon, different expressions, winking, those are all variants and only have a meaning for Pokemon Shuffle. Like I suppose they could introduce an emotion mechanic in the game where how you're Pokemon is feeling affects how it battles, but it's not a new forme. Also I don't think it would be that popular, best to leave that stuff in Pokemon-Amie and the benefits it provides.

Hong Kong Nationals footage
Professor Kukui introduces what Pokemons are https://www.facebook.com/hkpwt/videos/1161147140618535/
Rockruff https://www.facebook.com/hkpwt/videos/1161147857285130/
Koala thing https://www.facebook.com/hkpwt/videos/1161147857285130/

How come no one posted the videos yet?
Posted the Rockruff video twice, here's Komala. (EDIT: Shedinja'd)

Anyway so that's the "Welcome to the Pokemon World" for Sun & Moon: Kukui sending you a video via his computer camera. Alright, nice to see starting with ORAS we're moving away from it being the Professor greeting you within a white void. And being you're on a computer I could see them doing some fun stuff with it (like when a selection is given it pops up as a window on the computer screen and when you make a choice you see a mouse icon move across the screen to click on it. And when it asks for your name you hear the sound of a keyboard tapping).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)