Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of now, I'm thinking of Litten, Rockruff and can't decide whether I'll take the Grubbin line or not for my first team. Maybe Cutiefly will be worth a punt with it's unique typing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Sees many planning their teams*

*Is just gonna play through the game capturing and using whatever Pokemon comes his way, deciding throughout who to keep on party or not*

NOTE: Before I'm misconstrued, it's perfectly okay if you want to plan a team ahead of time on the Pokemon revealed. I'm too excited as the prospect of using these Pokemon on my party. I just wanted to give my perspective on things. While I'm sure while playing through you'll also change your team, I'm going to keep my options open from the start.

Dude I'm just going BW on this shit. Basically capture EVERYTHING available and test run it for fun. God I fucking loved having 3 disk one nukes per route before B2W2 took this concept up to 11.

110 Pokémon usable ingame was just beautiful... Even if alla just delivers 40 lines plus returnees, as long as they are well distributed, it could become into a game with similar replayability value, wich I doubt given how amazing the 5th gen was...but I can dream.

Dude I'm just going BW on this shit. Basically capture EVERYTHING available and test run it for fun. God I fucking loved having 3 disk one nukes per route before B2W2 took this concept up to 11.

110 Pokémon usable ingame was just beautiful... Even if alla just delivers 40 lines plus returnees, as long as they are well distributed, it could become into a game with similar replayability value, wich I doubt given how amazing the 5th gen was...but I can dream.
Urgh, I did that in BW, and that's what made the run so much more annoying. Especially since I didn't know the shaking bushes were really a thing and didn't know how to easily farm Audinos until nearly the end of the game.

*Is just gonna play through the game capturing and using whatever Pokemon comes his way, deciding throughout who to keep on party or not*

NOTE: Before I'm misconstrued, it's perfectly okay if you want to plan a team ahead of time on the Pokemon revealed. I'm too excited as the prospect of using these Pokemon on my party. I just wanted to give my perspective on things. While I'm sure while playing through you'll also change your team, I'm going to keep my options open from the start.
I had promised myself that I'd go blind on this one for similar reasons...
It goes to prove how truly weak I am. Not even 1/5 of the new gen has been revealed and I already want them all yes, even popplio. :toast:

I kinda want to try bruxish, psychic water is one of my favorite types for ingame runs, seriously even if slowpoke evolves late in GSC he is one of the most memorable Pokémon in my runs along Magmar, Donphan, Heracross, Forretress, Skarmory, Umbreon, and Stantler, they made a dull region somewhat interesting.

Ironically Umbreon and Forretress where the only Pokémon that could be used with the new types in both games as Skarmory was silver only XD, magnemite, murkrow, houndour and sneasel are post game while steelix and Scizor are trade only with a seemingly post-game item.

Planning the distribution is very important in a game about team building+limited exploration for the leveling curve progression.

Well, yeah. I'm gonna do that too. But I might keep some Pokémon in the party longer than others, and I'm actually hoping the derps are among them for once. Railgun Beetle, especially.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ironically Umbreon and Forretress where the only Pokémon that could be used with the new types in both games as Skarmory was silver only XD, magnemite, murkrow, houndour and sneasel are post game while steelix and Scizor are trade only with a seemingly post-game item
?_?
I'm pretty sure you can find it on the road to Olivine City (the city with the lighthouse, not sure of the English name)

Edit at below: he does with Sneasel in GS (not Crystal though since you can find it in the ice path there)

Last edited:
?_?
I'm pretty sure you can find it on the road to Olivine City (the city with the lighthouse, not sure of the English name)
Yes you can Route 38-39, else your Rival is pretty fucking boss to get a post-game pokemon in his team.

Edit at above : Completely forgot, the guy is truly a fucking boss.

So am I a little; but at the same time, it was last generation's new gimmick - so naturally it was the one we heard so much about. Not hearing much about it after that generation is a little... jarring, to say the least, but it's only natural that they show off some completely new things instead of new things added to what is now, essentially, an old gimmick.

All I know is I'mma get Litten and a Pikipek i'll name either Bob or Barbranne out of tradition... and 4 others to be determined later. Y was the only game I really planned a team out before getting the game due to having a bunch of Pokemon I liked (Hawlucha and Goomy sealed that deal) but I will try to avoid it in Sun/Moon.

honestly kinda surprised we haven't heard anything of mega evolution yet
Well, since that they're still just revealing few new stuffs and have not even confirmed returning Pokemon in Alola, it's understandable. Nah, punching bags in previous trailers don't reliably count, although they indeed give more possibility to be found in Alola as well. Maybe soon... maybe they'll reveal Mega form of new Pokemon, or reveal past generation Pokemon's Mega form and confirmed that they are also normally found in Alola....

I too am torn between Popplio and Litten. I'll wait till the evolutions are revealed and/or we have an idea of what other Water or Fire types are available. Rockruff is a definite addition, and if Drampa can be obtained at least before the 6th gym, then I'll add him too.

Also, inb4 Rowlet ends up having a terrible evolution.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
I too am torn between Popplio and Litten. I'll wait till the evolutions are revealed and/or we have an idea of what other Water or Fire types are available. Rockruff is a definite addition, and if Drampa can be obtained at least before the 6th gym, then I'll add him too.

Also, inb4 Rowlet ends up having a terrible evolution.
We didn't see the XY starter middle evos until about a month before release, so don't get too giddy.

Well, since that they're still just revealing few new stuffs and have not even confirmed returning Pokemon in Alola, it's understandable. Nah, punching bags in previous trailers don't reliably count, although they indeed give more possibility to be found in Alola as well. Maybe soon... maybe they'll reveal Mega form of new Pokemon, or reveal past generation Pokemon's Mega form and confirmed that they are also normally found in Alola....
They have confirmed returning Pokémon - Pikachu was shown in the dex, and Ledyba was shown to be in the first route. And I highly doubt returning Pokémon will be restricted to just those and a handful more, especially given this is the 20th anniversary game.

They have confirmed returning Pokémon - Pikachu was shown in the dex, and Ledyba was shown to be in the first route. And I highly doubt returning Pokémon will be restricted to just those and a handful more, especially given this is the 20th anniversary game.
Well... I didn't write it well. I know some Pokemon will return, but I meant said Pokemon whose Mega is revealed to return in my previous post (otherwise, what's the point in getting the Megastone of something unavailable in a generation). As of now I have skeptical tendency to not trust punching bag Pokemon to return until it is really confirmed. We don't know yet how much will the Pokemon distributed throughout the region. Something just enough like past games, almost like Unova level of drought, or almost all like Kalos?

I'm surely hoping I'm just too skeptical. I love to have Flygon and Milotic again, although ugh... MegaMom's tyranny....

Last edited:
For me, the starter's a choice between Rowlet or Poppilo. I love how Rowlet is grass/flying from the point you get it but I also want to get that cool woodpecker pokemon so I may swap to Poppilo to stop me from repeating types. However, i expect there's going to be many water types as it is an island and I may get Bruxish as well. It's most likely that I won't choose Litten even though I know that water types will outnumber fire types (probably) as there has been too many cat pokemon as of this game...

If Litten ends up being a tiger pokemon I may change my mind...

Well... I didn't write it well. I know some Pokemon will return, but I meant said Pokemon whose Mega is revealed to return in my previous post (otherwise, what's the point in getting the Megastone of something unavailable in a generation). As of now I have skeptical tendency to not trust punching bag Pokemon to return until it is really confirmed. We don't know yet how much will the Pokemon distributed throughout the region. Something just enough like past games, almost like Unova level of drought, or almost all like Kalos?

I'm surely hoping I'm just too skeptical. I love to have Flygon and Milotic again, although ugh... MegaMom's tyranny....
I would expect somewhere between Platinum and XY given the scale of the region and islands, and given the fact we have multiple Pokédex sections.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
honestly kinda surprised we haven't heard anything of mega evolution yet
As Kurona said, it's an "old" mechanic and they want to show off the new stuff. However it's also a popular mechanic and could be used to draw in the older players. My guess, they're saving the Megas for a month or two before the games are released (September or October) as a piece de resistance, probably to draw in more of the older players which may be on the fence but, "oh, look, this Pokemon I like is getting a Mega!".

Reactions: JES
Which isn't too far away, so I'll happily wait until then. I have a bucket list of Pokemon that I want to have Megas, and I hope some of them get the treatment.

Speaking of Mega Evolutions though, them redesigning the stones for the bracelet is pretty... strange. I know it isn't truly confirmed if the bracelets are for Mega Evolving or not, but lets say if they are, why make them diamond shaped suddenly?

Gotta admit, I'm gonna be apprehensive until they confirm mega evolution as a returning feature. Meganium has been too bad for too long, it needs a mega desperately and has a good chance given the gen 1/3 starters.

Rockruff is looking to be really interesting. I didn't care for it at first but as the description alludes to a wolf evolution, it could turn into something badass. Here's hoping we get a thematic rock/dark typing which would be awesome if it lives up to exceptions of a fast physical attacker.

Reactions: Mq
Whoo~
Alright, I'm gonna dump all of my thoughts right in this very post!

Mega Evolution
Mega Evolution is the first thing I want to talk about. Although I didn't have a solid opinion on Mega Evolution initially, I grew to enjoy the concept and made making my own concepts a bit of a pastime. Some people are saying that it's possible that since Mega Evolution is an old mechanic, they may just ditch it to keep it unique to Kalos (and Hoenn, I guess). Instead, they would replace it with Synchro Evolution. I suppose this prediction makes sense, since, like the Zygarde forms- which are now official, they were first introduced into the anime.

Replace Mega Evolution with Synchro Evolution and I swear to fucking god...
Like that'd be the exact same thing except you wouldn't have to be creative with the designs.

At E3, they ask, "Oh hey, what are those big fat bracelets that the players are wearing for?"
Then they're all like, "Oh, erm, uuuh, heheh, how about not now?"

If they're just delaying the reveal that, "We're ditching Mega Evolutions for some stupid gimmick in the anime that was said to happen only once every umpteen-dozen years or something," a part of my Pokemon Trainer self will die on the inside.

New Pokemon
These designs will take time for me to get used too. I will say Charjabug has already grown on me, so he's off the hook. Vikavolt and Tapu Koko are also off the hook. Yungoos, Pikipek, Komala, and Rockruff are also off the hook.

I feel like attacking Togedemaru first. I'm so fucking sick of these worthless piece-of-shit Pikachu-clones. Nobody cares, Game Freak. Absolutely nobody. Last generations roster would have pretty much been perfect, but then Dedenne comes in and leaves that one stain on the perfect fabric. Oh hey, but Togedemaru has the Steel typing and it gets Iron Barbs! OH WOW! I bet that'll be USEFUL. With probably the highest base stat being like 90 defense and then maybe 8X SpD, with an obviously shitty 60 HP stat. It'll be slow and it'll be passive. It will be worthless competitively. They didn't even bother giving Togedemaru a proper English name because they know how exhausted and overall, not-worth-it, this concept is.

Oh hey, Cutiefly doesn't look that bad. It's just a Bug/Fairy Fletchling-Drifloon hybrid but other than that, that's... exciting. Although, I will save the Bug/Fairy typing for something else I have to say.

Bruxish is just plain fugly. I'm sure this one will grow on me, though. But it's not like Garbodor where the ugliness is being used to further help the concept. What even is the concept with Bruxish? Just some glorified cowfish with hooker's lips.

And my god, I cannot stand Drampa. I will continue to refer to him as a hippie plesiosaur. He looks like an absolute dunce with those big fat expressionless eyes and that hair that a homeless guy playing guitar on the streets for tips would have. And Normal/Dragon.... Oh boy. I never really like it when fanmade Pokemon add a secondary typing and think that's all they have to do for it to be creative. My guess is that they're adding these unique typings because that's what people get excited about- unique typings on Pokemon. But WHY Normal?! To make it even count as a Normal type, they made sure to make the most dull and boring design possible for Drampa. Drampa could have really awesome, too. I guarantee you without that Normal typing, they would have designed it to actually look pretty menacing.

Rant over.

Zygarde
> for Zygarde to go to its complete form they gave it a Zen Mode ability

I'm done here.

Conclusion
I'm sure people who actually sit to read this will not be too happy that I was so assertive here, but I'm pretty certain that over time, I'll be settled down. These are intial thoughts, and I myself can be quite assertive with initial thoughts. I guess we'll see how things turn out, as for Megas vs Synchros, how these new Pokemon stand the test of time, an if Zygarde will be worth a damn next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)