Pokémon GO

Yeah, the game is notorious for it's glitches like that. The same has happened to me, too. On top of that, there's the fact that the servers go down a lot. They're apparently working on fixing these issues though.
I also have a problem with the poke ball system- I find it hard to even get the ball to hit the pokemon in the first place! Then you've got the capturing odds that most pokemon games have.
Does anyone have any tips for this?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I also have a problem with the poke ball system- I find it hard to even get the ball to hit the pokemon in the first place! Then you've got the capturing odds that most pokemon games have.
Hold down + B.

You just got to learn how the ball angles and how much you need to flick it. Honestly I find the Pokeball throwing system stupid, feels clunky, purposely made for you to waste Poke Balls so you would buy more (or grind), and takes you OUT of the experience as in real life this wouldn't be a problem but since you're on a phone and doing a completely different action (swiping/flicking instead of throwing) your level of immersion is lessened had it just been a mindless swipe/flick to throw the Poke Ball at the Pokemon instead of needing to aim.

Apparently, it's best to throw the pokeball when the green ring that surrounds the pokemon is the smallest. Other than that though, it could just be you. I'm not trying to sound rude, you probably just have to work on your throwing. I know I'm not that great at it either. Admittedly, it is harder to catch pokemon that move around a lot, like Zubat. Other than all that, try to keep your phone as steady as possible, don't throw the ball when the pokemon is "attacking," and try to find the perfect balance between "too forceful" and "too light." It's all just practice, really. I'm sure you'll get better with time.

Hold down + B.

You just got to learn how the ball angles and how much you need to flick it. Honestly I find the Pokeball throwing system stupid, feels clunky, purposely made for you to waste Poke Balls so you would buy more (or grind), and takes you OUT of the experience as in real life this wouldn't be a problem but since you're on a phone and doing a completely different action (swiping/flicking instead of throwing) your level of immersion is lessened had it just been a mindless swipe/flick to throw the Poke Ball at the Pokemon instead of needing to aim.
I wasted all of my poke balls given to me at the start of the game on 2 or 3 pokemon and so I needed to make an in app purchase just to get poke balls. I think there should be non cost way of getting poke balls right from the start. I currently cannot get to a poke stop at the moment.

The pokestops being a way from me means I actually have to walk a while before I come across one.

Another issue-what shouldn't do if the pokemon just stays still and sort of freezes and I cannot continue the battle? What if I have a rare pokemon inside of it?

You can now request for a PokeSpot or Gym.

This is probably due to complaints of a lack of them from players not living in/near big cities or are disabled. Might also get some PokeSpots in wilderness areas.
Oh, good. Yeah, this game is definitely much kinder to people who live in big cities like New York and whatnot, where there are pokestops and gyms everywhere. I don't have a car, and the only pokestop within walking distance of me is about 15 minutes, which isn't really bad, but Florida, especially during this time of year, is just a bitch to walk through. While I'm happy we can request where pokestops are, I do hope they don't just blindly accept every request. As was stated earlier in the thread, any places that are linked to tragedy should not be pokestops or gyms.

Last edited:
So I'm trying to figure out how this game works and whilst I've got catching down this whole candy system is bizarre to me. So I keep the mon with highest CP and sacrifice all related but weaker underlings to the professor so I can use their ground flesh as power up points?

Regarding moves, what if my Krabby for example has a 60 BP move and it wants to evolve into a Kingler with a 20 BP one? Can this be controlled for at all? If it can't, I assume it's pure rng until you get an evolution with acceptable moves?

The_Emperor said:
I wasted all of my poke balls given to me at the start of the game on 2 or 3 pokemon and so I needed to make an in app purchase just to get poke balls. I think there should be non cost way of getting poke balls right from the start. I currently cannot get to a poke stop at the moment.

The pokestops being a way from me means I actually have to walk a while before I come across one.

Another issue-what shouldn't do if the pokemon just stays still and sort of freezes and I cannot continue the battle? What if I have a rare pokemon inside of it?
Yeah, it's tough right now to save the pokeballs. One good tip is to turn off the AR. I've found that makes it easier to judge how far/hard to flick the ball. Also, you can retrieve your pokeballs if you tap them on the screen if you miss the Pokemon. This is kind of hit or miss depending on the connectivity issues, and it won't work if you hit the mon but it breaks out of the ball.

Also, for the freezing issue, sometimes I've been able to reload the game to find the mon I was trying to capture still there. It doesn't always work, though.

EDIT: I just got this response email from Niantic after submitting a form for a new Pokestop:

Niantic said:
Trainer,

Thanks for your interest in adding PokéStops and Gyms to Pokémon GO. While we’re not currently accepting new submissions, we’ll keep your city in mind in the future.

- NianticOps

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
not sure whether to post this here or in the S/M thread, but was there any news on potential connectivity between Go and Sun/Moon?*
*I might just be thinking about how you can transfer mons from the VC RBY games to SunMoon via Bank, but I'm not sure.

also holy hell, UK official release was today and you could barely play the game between 4:30 and 6pm. Met a bunch of cool people though, so all's good.

not sure whether to post this here or in the S/M thread, but was there any news on potential connectivity between Go and Sun/Moon?*
*I might just be thinking about how you can transfer mons from the VC RBY games to SunMoon via Bank, but I'm not sure.

also holy hell, UK official release was today and you could barely play the game between 4:30 and 6pm. Met a bunch of cool people though, so all's good.
There was a mention at E3 about possible connectivity between Go and Sun/Moon at a later point.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
dunno how legit this is

http://www.unilad.co.uk/gaming/looks-like-pokemon-go-is-getting-mcsponsored-pokestops/

deffo wouldn't surprise me... makes sense and although it feels annoying... i'd rather something other than a fast food chain after we hear this stuff about people actually getting exercise for pokemon go

if it keeps the game free i guess it's the price you gotta pay
Prob legit, some dudes on reddit looked at the game files and there was a McDonalds logo as a game picture so I reckon Imma have to buy that Big Mac Meal and peel the codes a la McD's Monopoly to get the Legendarys

Prob legit, some dudes on reddit looked at the game files and there was a McDonalds logo as a game picture so I reckon Imma have to buy that Big Mac Meal and peel the codes a la McD's Monopoly to get the Legendarys
Huh. Interestingly enough, the closest pokestop to me is a McDonald's. Kind of a conflicting message. "Hey, go outside and get some exercise! Also, stop by McDonald's and get yourself a big mac if you wanna get that Mew!" Oh, the irony. However, I also want to turn some attention to the other new features that were mentioned in the article. We're gonna get trading (which most people already know), a new incense, legendaries, new items, and natures. I imagine the new incense and items will probably come with some kind of update, along with trading, but I wonder how exactly legendaries will be encounted. Will they do events? And as for natures, will it be exactly like it is in the games? Considering the fact that there's no such thing as stats in this game, at least not at the moment, I wonder what kind of effect these natures will have on pokemon and battling.

Reactions: JES

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So I've been having a lot of trouble catching Pokemon today because whenever I get them in the ball, the game freezes and when I start it back up again it's a 50/50 chance if I get the mon or not. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Pokemon go is pretty fun (although also pretty shallow, I'm not sure how long it will last without significant updates) but it really pisses me the hell off that everyone thinks they know shit about Pokemon all of a sudden cause they have some high BP Pokemon even though they have no idea what IVs even are. I guess it's for the better because everyone is getting exercise and pokemons popularity is increasing, which can only be good, but still...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I've been having a lot of trouble catching Pokemon today because whenever I get them in the ball, the game freezes and when I start it back up again it's a 50/50 chance if I get the mon or not. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
Two of my friends on IOS have been having this issue a lot today, another can't see any Pokemon at all (but his brother in the same house can [They are both Android]), and my super old Moto G Gen 1 has been working basically perfectly fine all day. Not sure what the problems are, but I do not think you are alone.

Alright, so let's get meta. The gyms in my area are stupidly powerful, with mons in the 1200-1700 range. For the most part, your team is restricted to pokemon you can catch in your immediate area. This makes the meta in my area mostly eeveelutions, with a few wild cards thrown in. There isn't much for type coverage, with my own decent pokemon being Pidgeot, Jolteon, and Beedrill. It seems like most pokemon have two different special attacks or two different normal attacks they may end up with. Right now, my Pidgeot's moves are steel/flying, the Jolteon has electric/electric, and the Beedrill is bug/bug.

My question is, what pokemon can take on the eeveelutions in gen 1/Pokemon Go? Considering type advantages in moves and the types of the pokemon.

Alright, so let's get meta. The gyms in my area are stupidly powerful, with mons in the 1200-1700 range. For the most part, your team is restricted to pokemon you can catch in your immediate area. This makes the meta in my area mostly eeveelutions, with a few wild cards thrown in. There isn't much for type coverage, with my own decent pokemon being Pidgeot, Jolteon, and Beedrill. It seems like most pokemon have two different special attacks or two different normal attacks they may end up with. Right now, my Pidgeot's moves are steel/flying, the Jolteon has electric/electric, and the Beedrill is bug/bug.

My question is, what pokemon can take on the eeveelutions in gen 1/Pokemon Go? Considering type advantages in moves and the types of the pokemon.
Dragonair would be your best bet to resist all three off the top of my head. Unless you're expecting Vaporeon to carry an ice move; but then it's a moot point because that combined with Jolteon would create Boltbeam with Flareon to cover what few things there are Boltbeam can't hit.

Welp I suppose to write up a couple points here about what some are saying as well as my own experiences.

I live in Florida around the coast and I tell you it is a veritable wonderland of all sorts of random crap here (except Fighting, Rock, Ground...rip). I booted up GO 2 days ago to find a Snorlax RIGHT NEXT to me (it got away sadly, fml). Besides that, I have seen zero Snorlax anywhere besides the OP Gyms close to le house. I also have seen a Meowth and Growlithe only once on my radar ever, being yesterday, and have yet to see them since. Each day is absolutely different with what it offers you. One day, we had Dratini wonderland at some apartments up the road, and the next two days with absolutely none, replaced by semi-common Grass types like Oddish and Bellsprout. Same goes to Pinsir as I see one in different places about every 2 days. Starters have also been an oddity as I have seen a couple Bulbasaur, but nothing else. I do believe there is some sort of rarity scale like some people said before, as Magikarp seems to be less common than people wanna believe and Dratini are not too uncommon around here, also things like Jigglypuff and Clefairy are exceptionally rare here.

Terrain definitely seems to be a factor (besides water = Water types) as some nature trails nearby have held some decent Grass (Paras, Oddish, Bellsprout) and Bug (Venonat, rare Pinsir/Scyther) types and they are nowhere else to be found around here.

As for the "freemium" part of the game, I have some advice for those with time. Find a spot that can either be walked about in a circle, or are extremely close to each other, and maybe camp there for half an hour or so and farm the Pokestop for balls. I got about 60 in that time, switching between watching Youtube and Pokestops. It pays if you have time.

Hope it helped a bit.

PS. Stay away from Gyms as it seems that some cheeky bastards only like to do some "Gym-smashing" if your mons are not strong enough.

living in desert is suffering ;_;. my only water-type is squirtle, and a krabby i hatched. the only water-type i've ~caught~ is kabuto. nothing else. there's a ton of kabuto around here though. and sandshrew. and geodude. and diglett. and literally the only ground-types not near me are the nidos. so sparse around my area. >:<

Having gotten the game recently on my now up to date phone, I've been having fun with it. Mostly been finding Com/Semi-Common Mons, but it is a nice and social experience. There's a park about 15 minutes drive from my house that has a cluster of about half a dozen spots in a circle, which reset in the time it takes to make a lap and makes for great farming, especially since the park is a big gathering spot even before the game, so people drop a lot of Lure modules and I can farm things I need to stock up on like Magikarp.

My one problem I guess is how limited the selection for particular areas tends to be. While a nice spot socially, the park usually has very little beyond the standard Route 1 mons (Pidgey, Caterpie, Ratatta, etc) and some water types due to the lake nearby. I'm not really sure where to go looking for things I don't see more often because I don't know how much of it is just basic rarity, and how much of it is the area I'm in, because I see blips for things like Tauros, Fearow, Clefairy, etc, but despite my brother and friends having caught several I have yet to find one myself.

I also don't know if some of the really rare catches actually pop up in an area, or are just totally random. We drove up the road the other day to go into town for a search, and at the edge of the service area (my house being in a near dead zone), there was a 3 Print signal for Dragonite. I have yet to see a Dratini or even another Safari mon so much as register on the radar in any radius. The prospect especially gets my attention with Legendary Pokemon on the horizon, since, while cinematic, the type of "1000 trainer Collaboration" thing they showed with Mewtwo in the trailer would raise the old issue of "can't get Mystic Pokemon if you can't make it to this one event lasting 2 days in New York City".

I'd like to see where it goes, but some of the stuff in the mentioned update, primarily trading, I feel should have been ready for the game at launch, considering it's such an integral part of the Pokemon experience and this is the most plausible time to do Face-to-Face trading in a global Pokemon setting.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
My balls (especially great balls) often just go flying off to the right even though I'm throwing them as straight as possible. The only workaround for this is to just throw curveballs all the time.

So I'm trying to figure out how this game works and whilst I've got catching down this whole candy system is bizarre to me. So I keep the mon with highest CP and sacrifice all related but weaker underlings to the professor so I can use their ground flesh as power up points?

Regarding moves, what if my Krabby for example has a 60 BP move and it wants to evolve into a Kingler with a 20 BP one? Can this be controlled for at all? If it can't, I assume it's pure rng until you get an evolution with acceptable moves?
Yes
No
Yes

normies have appropriated our culture and i cant even show off my skill in training ubers mons cuz they arent in the game yet.
can't wait until more pokemon are out so normies get sick and leave

Everyone has this, it's just the servers being shit

living in desert is suffering ;_;. my only water-type is squirtle, and a krabby i hatched. the only water-type i've ~caught~ is kabuto. nothing else. there's a ton of kabuto around here though. and sandshrew. and geodude. and diglett. and literally the only ground-types not near me are the nidos. so sparse around my area. >:<
I wish we could trade in this game because my office is right next to a river so I'm flooded with water types. Tons of magikarp, staru, poliwag, goldeen, psyduck. I've only ever seen one geodude around here and haven't seen any of your other ground types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)