Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we see gameplay footage featuring a fairy type, I'd just want to remind all to pay attention to any changes. It wouldn't surprise me to see a fairy nerf given just how strong the type is (honestly imagine Psychic but stronger defensively) and they nerfed steel and I wouldn't be surprised if fairy gets resisted by more types since Hyper Voice is really damn spammable in VGC. (At least I think it is.)
So far, type chart changes (such as Fire gaining an Ice resist, or Steel becoming neutral to Ghost and Dark) have only occurred at the same time as new types have been introduced (Generation II with Dark and Steel and Generation VI with Fairy).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
When we see gameplay footage featuring a fairy type, I'd just want to remind all to pay attention to any changes. It wouldn't surprise me to see a fairy nerf given just how strong the type is (honestly imagine Psychic but stronger defensively) and they nerfed steel and I wouldn't be surprised if fairy gets resisted by more types since Hyper Voice is really damn spammable in VGC. (At least I think it is.)
I don't think Fairies are strong enough yet to warrant a nerf. Just like Dragon wasn't a problem until Gen IV or so, when we finally had got enough of them to build entire teams around, and they had the moves they needed to utilize their STAB. Fairies are currently held back by a relative lack of moves, and that the Fairy Pokémon themselves aren't really much to cheer for. Just like the Ice type, which on paper is an amazing offensive type, but whose Pokémon are overwhelmingly defensive. The qualities of the Fairy type is currently like those of the Ice type: Tons of potential in theory, but not yet realized because the 'mons and the moves are so lacking.

The existence of the ability Pixilate might skew the stats a little, since that allows Sylveon, Mega Altaria and Mega Gardevoir - the most prominent Fairy-type special attackers - to abuse Normal moves as pseudo-STAB. Fairy types without Pixilate sorely lack tools to be as frightening as those three, so unless Game Freak keeps spamming the ability, I think we'll be fine in the future. Likewise, the Fairy physical attackers - Azumarill and Mega Mawile - gain most of their offensive presence from their abilities, rather than qualities unique to the Fairy typing. Had there only been two good physical Electric attackers, and both of them had Huge Power, I think people would have called the Electric type overpowered. On the defensive side, Clefable and Mega Diancie are also blessed with some of the best abilities in the game. No wonder why they do so well.

TL;DR - the Fairy type as we know it today gets most of its perceived strength from a few prominent Pokémon with gosh-darn strong abilities, rather than qualities inherent in the Fairy type itself. There aren't many good Fairy-type moves, and most Fairy Pokémon have underwhelming stats. If anything they're saved by their defensive qualities, and augmented further by good abilities.

Not only that, but consider that the most prominent fairy-types are either legendaries or Megas - ie, Pokémon which by their very concept are supposed to be powerful. Aside from that the only relevant ones are Clefable, Azumarill, Sylveon and potentially (non-mega) Gardevoir.

Fairies are sort of anti-meta as well. Going from Gen 5 to Gen 6. What they're strong against is prominent and the Steel nerf to resist Dark and Ghosts help increased Dark Types which Fairy is strong against. Add into how Poison was/is incredibly rare and Steel was used more for defensive properties rather than offensive it helped Fairies a lot in Gen 6.

Fairies are sort of anti-meta as well. Going from Gen 5 to Gen 6. What they're strong against is prominent and the Steel nerf to resist Dark and Ghosts help increased Dark Types which Fairy is strong against. Add into how Poison was/is incredibly rare and Steel was used more for defensive properties rather than offensive it helped Fairies a lot in Gen 6.
They don't resist ghost.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well we could talk about what we have YET to see (and try not to spiral into wishlisting). For example let's start with types:

So far we've seen Grass, Flying, Fire, Water, Rock, Normal, Bug, Electric, Dragon, Psychic, Fairy, Steel, Poison, Fighting, & Ghost from the non-Legendaries. We've yet to see Ground, Ice, and Dark. What would you like to see be done with those types, like what role they would play in the game?

Hmm, we know there's no new Eeveelution, but what about a Fossil Pokemon? Hawaii may not have dinosaurs (having arisen from the oceans 50 millions after they went extinct) but that doesn't mean they don't have extinct animals (not to mention all the extinct marine dinosaurs are also a good candidate).

Speaking of which, how about Hawaii's native wild life. Already a few of the new Pokemon are based on them, which other could possibly peak the interest of GF? Heck, we've seen they also threw some Australian animals in so let's not exclude other isolated islands like New Zealand, Madagascar, and the Galapagos Islands.

Last edited:
A dark type gym would be nice. I know I've seen other people point it out before that we have yet to get one. Maybe this time around we can.

I also feel like we might get some more fairy type moves. Or at least, I would assume so, since the fairy move pool is pretty lacking, especially on the physical side. Hell, even just attacking moves in general, really.

I'm not in the mood to look at all the lists of animals right now lol. But lemurs are from Madagascar and I like them. Let's get a lemur pokemon.

Well we could talk about what we have YET to see (and try not to spiral into wishlisting).

Hmm, we know there's no new Eeveelution, but what about a Fossil Pokemon? Hawaii may not have dinosaurs (having arisen from the oceans 50 millions after they went extinct) but that doesn't mean they don't have extinct animals (not to mention all the extinct marine dinosaurs are also a good candidate).
Fossils have no connection whatsoever with regions atm, so -if there'll be any (and I really hope so)- they could be literally anything. Also, there's no such thing as "marine dinosaurs", unless you're speaking about penguins, but I get your point (extinct marine reptiles); I'm really waiting for a mosasaur or a pliosaur, they would be pretty cool. The last three rounds have been about cretaceous creatures, with only gen 1 and gen 3 using more ancient fossils (except for Aerodactyl who represents a generic pterosaur). It would be cool to see fossils from different ages too, not too recent though as they can be represented without fossils (see Mamoswine). I'm really hoping to see a Mega fossil breaking the "rock typing rule" too, but that's wishful thinking.

Both for potential fossils and still living creatures (or fantasy ones), island-related fauna&flora are perfect, with Hawaii, Australia, Madagascar, Galapagos etc etc... being great examples.

Since the problem is Hyper Voice, I think a much better and less drastic solution would be nerfing the -ate abilities by removing their damage boost. It was a dumb and unnecessary idea in the first place, and would also make Mega Salamence more bearable.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
It's been so quiet. Come on, Pokémon and Game Freak, throw us some more bones to chew on.
... it hasn't even been a week since the last trailer, come on
there's having a legitimate drought of news and there's just being impatient
To be honest... We are still 6 months from Launch. Expect another two month drought at some point. I'm honestly surprised we have gotten as much information as we have now. I guess they are trying to ride on the GO popularity at the moment and get people interested now for later on down the line. I really do not want to know every Pokemon before launch (I mean, I'm going to know them all before European Launch but I don't want to know them before actual release). I would however like to have some more concrete information on some of these mechanics that they keep hinting at...

Speaking of which, how about Hawaii's native wild life. Already a few of the new Pokemon are based on them, which other could possibly peak the interest of GF? Heck, we've seen they also threw some Australian animals in so let's not exclude other isolated islands like New Zealand, Madagascar, and the Galapagos Islands.
There are a whole host of animals from those places which would make fantastic Pokemon. I'm a fan of a lot of what they have put out so far (especially Vikavolt) and I would genuinely like more of the same. I even kinda like the bearhugofdeath red panda mon they have given us.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Europe are getting the game 5 days after the rest of the world for some bizarre reason. Most likely because most of Europe broke street date/leaked a lot of information before XY came out and this is likely some sort of punishment.
Which is a bit childish of them (especially since it was only a few vendors that did it, most of Europe had to avoid spoilers as well). Instead of threat of being sued to vendors who discovered broke early to deter this, they instead punish Europe by having to avoid being spoiled while everyone else gets to play the game? Or do they think that the European vendors will go "f*** it" and release early thus creating a somewhat simultaneous release?

Honestly if they REALLY wanted to do a sure-fire global release they can release the digital version first. Yeah that sucks for those who prefer physical copies (like myself), but I'm trying to think like a GF/Nintendo staff trying to solve this issue.

I suppose another way would also, upon hearing someone leaked early, releasing a notice to all other game stores they can also release early and activate the game on the virtual store, though that would just encourage people to leak early (unless those who leak early are under threat of getting sued).

Europeans/Australians are getting it one week after the rest of the world.
Australians are getting it on the 18th too, unless EB Games & Bulbapedia are lying to us.

Truth be told, this marks the first generation of Pokemon where I've religiously watched/eyeballed every piece of pre-release content. I guess I considered going in blind to be more exciting, but seeing every SM snippet has made me more intrigued if anything. Barring the Feb-May info drought, I think Game Freak have done a fine job in establishing the hype, especially since Pokemon Go's release will no doubt bring with it an influx of new fans. I'm kinda expecting them to pull on the brakes a little bit, though, which I wouldn't really mind.​

To be honest... We are still 6 months from Launch. Expect another two month drought at some point.
July 18th to November 18th is not six months lmao...

And why should we expect another two month drought? Pokemon is pretty consistent in once the news begins it stays regular and doesn't dip in and out whenever it likes. It makes sense to have a drought at the start so they don't show too much too early and leave themselves dry for later months. Don't expect a two month drought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)