Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some discussion IRC, Mudsdale has the potential to do some cheeky stuff in doubles. Pair him with a Thundurus when he has Own Tempo and you get a +2 Stab EQ user that still has an item. Pair him with a Whimsicott with Beat Up and you can get to +4 / +6 Defense with Stamina.

Still can't get over how awesome hyper training sounds. Seriously makes me want to go out and do stuff like shiny hunting in ORAS now that things like bad IVs can be patched up.

now that I think About it, Wimpod can escape from Shadow Tag.Here's hoping for some dark type moves then.

And on a similar topic does this open the door to them making Teleport(voted by Jwittz as the Worst Move Ever) worth a damn in Battle?

Wimp Out could actually be somewhat useful in battle if a Pokemon with it gets the right support moves.
For example, a Pokemon with Wimp Out could be a decent rain inducer (with Focus Sash if needed) since it'll switch out right after getting savaged allowing the sweeper to come in unscathed without waiting for the next turn.

I still really want that dolphin Pokemon Gamefreak.........

(If you can have fucking Koalas in whats basically Hawaii why the hell not have a dolphin?)

We have a Horse Pokemon but not a Pegasus Pokemon. :[

Mudsdale can drag a load of 10 TONS for three days and three nights. Damn. I hope it has this much usefulness in competitive.
Honestly the dex entries are all bullshit I mean they are made by 10 year olds but yeah there is no way Magcargo is hotter than the sun and that the average Infernape and Lucario are smaller than the average human.

Honestly the dex entries are all bullshit I mean they are made by 10 year olds but yeah there is no way Magcargo is hotter than the sun and that the average Infernape and Lucario are smaller than the average human.
Also no way a 10 year old writes them. The Pokedex is a device made by an idiotic professor or something.

E: Also all Pokedexs have the same entry for a Pokemon. No way a kid does this on the fly.

The new hyper training is amazing, ab time they made some changes to IVs.

Howeverrrrrr, the whole new symbol eliminating XY/ORAS is pretty depressing. Hundreds and hundreds of hours into perfect shiny breeding just to have to redo everything. And yes, this time around hyper training will make it much easier to obtain perfect bred shinies, but that difficulty (well luck and patience) also added to the sentimental value of the ones i've already bred in gen 6. On the plus side, having a flawless shiny with a pentagon will be somewhat of a treasure now (and an unusable one at that)

not at all complaining ab the new hyper training bc its an amazing addition, just wish you could still use gen 6 mons as well :/

The pokedex needs more credible writers lol. Yeah, most of the entries seem to just be exaggerated, or perhaps even outright untrue. It's like when people used to think salamanders were so cold they could stop a fire just by sitting on it, and everyone took it as fact. Though in pokemon's case, you'd think by now the professors would know better and do more research.

The new hyper training is amazing, ab time they made some changes to IVs.

Howeverrrrrr, the whole new symbol eliminating XY/ORAS is pretty depressing. Hundreds and hundreds of hours into perfect shiny breeding just to have to redo everything. And yes, this time around hyper training will make it much easier to obtain perfect bred shinies, but that difficulty (well luck and patience) also added to the sentimental value of the ones i've already bred in gen 6. On the plus side, having a flawless shiny with a pentagon will be somewhat of a treasure now (and an unusable one at that)
Has there been confirmation that this new symbol replaces the Kalos symbol so to speak? Even if it does, that surely wouldn't mean we can't Hyper Train ORAS mons, right? I can't imagine Mr. Hyper being prejudiced.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has there been confirmation that this new symbol replaces the Kalos symbol so to speak? Even if it does, that surely wouldn't mean we can't Hyper Train ORAS mons, right? I can't imagine Mr. Hyper being prejudiced.
I'm sure Mr Hyper will train anything. What people are worried about is that a lot of stuff like Battle Spot in ORAS and VGC required pentagons in gen 6, so its possible that gamefreak may pull something similar in Sun and Moon. I hope Bottle Caps are common just to cut down on the rebreeding we'll all have to do then lol.

Bottle Capping transfers will still be useful though, since a lot of Tournaments on Battle Spot allows transfers. If anything, Bottle Caps are a GODSEND for that kind of stuff, it means you don't need to learn how to RNG or worse, RNG in Pokemon XD!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hyper Training, aka what basically everyone has been asking for since the beginning of competitive Pokemon

Or, in other words, what basically everyone has been asking for since the beginning of Pokemon. Seriously, this is amazing; while breeding became substantially easier in X and Y thanks to the Destiny Knot, soft resetting legendaries and getting the one you want was still a pain in the ass, so this is going to be incredible for getting VGC-ready legendaries.

Regarding the new Pokemon, I think Wimpod may have some potential, seeing as it has an ability that's basically Eject Button that activates at 50% and doesn't require an item, so it could be pretty good regarding momentum (though I am hoping we'll get a fully-evolved Bug/Water out of this). I love Mudsdale's design, though Stamina looks absolutely cheap. Comfey looks like Alola's Klefki, but priority recovery is pretty legit.

As they didn't get a HA ability release in Generation V, that's not a noticeable change, so GF might have felt justified in changing them.
While true for Zapdos and Chandelure, Quick Feet Scoliopede was actually obtainable in Gen V, and when transferred to Gen VI it changed to Speed Boost, so it's not outside the realm of possibility

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As they didn't get a HA ability release in Generation V, that's not a noticeable change, so GF might have felt justified in changing them.
Scolipede did, so this point is invalid. And even if he wouldn't, I doubt that "absence of a precedent" would have any impact on such a decision

I hope Bottle Caps are common just to cut down on the rebreeding we'll all have to do then lol.
Rebreeding isn't that bad. Just take a perfect Ditto and the 'mon in question, breed two, trade them forward, breed them.

While true for Zapdos and Chandelure, Quick Feet Scoliopede was actually obtainable in Gen V, and when transferred to Gen VI it changed to Speed Boost, so it's not outside the realm of possibility
Really? *looks it up* Well I'll be a son of a female Rockruff.

People used to breed hundreds of times to obtain the right Pokemon, tossing out rejects as strays/orphans. Now, you just need the right nature and you can elevate them to greatness. This is much more humane.

I used to RNG back on the DS but never learned / cared to continue on the 3DS. At one point I was upset that some of my best legends had been obtained via trade threads here (and subsequent cloning), but now I'm stoked that a lot of the Pokemon I captured solely focusing on nature may be redeemed with my own trainer name.

At least I can focus on more Pokémon gameplay than filling up the Pokédex. Even then, I've never actually caught them all.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
People used to breed hundreds of times to obtain the right Pokemon, tossing out rejects as strays/orphans. Now, you just need the right nature and you can elevate them to greatness. This is much more humane.

I used to RNG back on the DS but never learned / cared to continue on the 3DS. At one point I was upset that some of my best legends had been obtained via trade threads here (and subsequent cloning), but now I'm stoked that a lot of the Pokemon I captured solely focusing on nature may be redeemed with my own trainer name.
It's just a game, relax

I highly doubt bottlecaps are going to be common enough to make Hyper Training viable over rebreeding the Pokemon until you get 5/6 IVs, so I think the use of them is going to end up limited to Legendary Pokemon and shinies. It seems to me to be a concept similar to the shards for tutor moves Gen V and earlier (read: lots of farming involved)

also PLEASE let the bottlecap guy look like James

After reading all these comments about the new "Plus" symbol, I just came to a realization... I will have to complete a new living Pokedex. Curse you inner hoarder/completionist!!

Yeah if this IV boost thing isn't as easy as clicking a button (and if you can only boost them one at a time) then breeding for the 5 IVs will likely save you a lot of time. Especially if you don't want to level all your Pokemon to 100.

As far as the new release Pokemon go, I'm hyped, though I have to say Fairy type has already been getting a lot of love with the pre-release. Here's hoping we get a decent Grass/Fairy out of this in the future. We've yet to see an Ice or Dark type.

It's just a game, relax

I highly doubt bottlecaps are going to be common enough to make Hyper Training viable over rebreeding the Pokemon until you get 5/6 IVs, so I think the use of them is going to end up limited to Legendary Pokemon and shinies. It seems to me to be a concept similar to the shards for tutor moves Gen V and earlier (read: lots of farming involved)

also PLEASE let the bottlecap guy look like James
There are and always have been codes for items....

Also I'm pretty disappointed by this tbh. The amount of time spent SRing, Breeding, and (for some people) RNGing is now rendered even more of a waste than it was before.

I do get why people like it, don't get me wrong, but it's essentially removing my favorite aspect of the game and the thrill of successfully accomplishing something which actually made Pokémon different from other games...so yeah...

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
There are and always have been codes for items....

Also I'm pretty disappointed by this tbh. The amount of time spent SRing, Breeding, and (for some people) RNGing is now rendered even more of a waste than it was before.

I do get why people like it, don't get me wrong, but it's essentially removing my favorite aspect of the game and the thrill of successfully accomplishing something which actually made Pokémon different from other games...so yeah...
Sure, but most people don't really like soft resetting for their legendaries. I spent six hours on Latias, three days on Reshiram, and I went for weeks on Heatran and still don't have it. Soft resetting has always been a massive barrier to entry to VGC, especially seeing as Pokemon like Heatran and Landorus-T have tended to be some of the best Pokemon in VGC, so this essentially closes the gap between players who have the time to soft reset and players who don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)