Unpopular opinions

But you can grind in Viridian Forest a lot easier than the other two starters. Granted, grinding helps anything, but Charmander usually only has to be on the same level as Onix since Onix has such a pitiful attack stat even for early game. Also Geodude doesn't know Rock Tomb for some reason.
I still always find it a bit of a struggle. It definitely needs a lot more help than the other two starters.

I still always find it a bit of a struggle. It definitely needs a lot more help than the other two starters.
Yeah, Charmander gets wrecked by Misty, too. If you picked Charmander, your best option against Misty is a low-leveled version-exlusive weak Grass-type.

I always pick Bulbasaur because of Brock and Misty.

And I'm probably the only one who actually picks Bulbasaur...

I think it's just who you grow up around. If you hung around people who thought Charizard was the best and the other two were shit, then of course you're gonna think "Everyone likes Charizard and no one likes Venusaur," because it's what you know up to that point. Personally, the starter I hear the least about is Squirtle.

I think it's just who you grow up around. If you hung around people who thought Charizard was the best and the other two were shit, then of course you're gonna think "Everyone likes Charizard and no one likes Venusaur," because it's what you know up to that point. Personally, the starter I hear the least about is Squirtle.
Yeah, that's probably the case, as I grew up experiencing Pokemon with my cousins, who praised Charizard as if it were a god.

Squirtle's really neat, though. It pulls its weight in-game, has great TM compatibility, and does good at every gym bar Erika's (But there's Blizzard for that).

Changing the subject here: I hate what Gen 5 did to the beeping sound effect when your Pokemon is at low HP. Gen 5 had the best battle music imo, and when my Archeops gets hit with a Dragon Claw from N, I don't want that stupid 10-second loop replacing the pure genius that is N's final battle theme. I'd rather have the constant beeping noise like in Gens 1-4. Gen 6 did it right, though. WE KNOW OUR POKEYMANS ARE ABOUT TO DIE; STOP SHOVING IT IN OUR FACES!

Changing the subject here: I hate what Gen 5 did to the beeping sound effect when your Pokemon is at low HP. Gen 5 had the best battle music imo, and when my Archeops gets hit with a Dragon Claw from N, I don't want that stupid 10-second loop replacing the pure genius that is N's final battle theme. I'd rather have the constant beeping noise like in Gens 1-4. Gen 6 did it right, though. WE KNOW OUR POKEYMANS ARE ABOUT TO DIE; STOP SHOVING IT IN OUR FACES!
Dude, this infuriated me, N decisive battle is a masterpiece and having it cut by the loop is blasphemy.

Also Unova e4 and gym leader are awesome on their own right I disliked the last mon remix cutting the leader theme.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While at first I liked they turned it into a song, I agree that when you want to listen to the music (especially a special music track) it can get even more annoying than the normal beeping from previous gens. Gen VI just having a few beeps is really how it should have been.

Another complaint I had with Gen V's music: Gym Leader's final Pokemon. It's a nice theme, a remix of the Pokemon main theme, but since it plays for the Gym Leader's last Pokemon it feels like it comes too quickly. Like for the first two Gyms it's played after beating the Gym Leader's first Pokemon. Also Gen V is when the Gym Leader's started carrying less Pokemon, the 8th Gym Leader only has 4 Pokemon. And, since it is just a remix of the main theme, you kind of want to hear the normal Gym Leader theme which unique music. Also why does the "final Pokemon" theme only play for the Gym Leaders but not the Elite Four or Champion? Why just the Gym Leaders?

But I do like the idea of the music slightly changing for an important trainer's final Pokemon, but maybe just adding an additional instrument or speeding up the music. Don't take away from the theme (or take it away), enhance it and make it feel the battle is both drawing to a close but also ramping up.

Fair enough.

Yeah, Charmander gets wrecked by Misty, too. If you picked Charmander, your best option against Misty is a low-leveled version-exlusive weak Grass-type.

I always pick Bulbasaur because of Brock and Misty.

And I'm probably the only one who actually picks Bulbasaur...
I always pick Bulbasaur and it's probably the most popular Grass Starter.

Agreed. I think a better way to implement this would be to speed up whatever theme is going on in the background if you need more urgency.

EDIT: Didn't see Pikachu315111's post

Pretty much. Brock may as well not even be a Gym Leader. Even for the first boss of the game, you can't really lose to him unless you're really bad.

The only chance Cosplay-Pikachu has of staying around is if Gen VII have Pokemon Contests.

On the topic of contests, quite a few people seem to wish they don't stay around, but I actually really enjoy them. They give you something else to do other than battling and you can keep at it for quite a while. The ORAS contests also had something resembling a slight plotline so if they build on that kind of thing for Gen VII contests I think it could be great.
Brock is only really hard in pokemon yellow- the only pokemon you can catch at the time which will have moves that are super effective against his pokemon is the great mankey.

I'd rather they do something special with Raichu. We had Spiky-Eared Pichu and Cosplay Pikachu. How about something for the overshadowed, fully evolved electric mouse (a Mega wouldn't hurt either)?
I agree, pikachu gets too much attention and Raichu needs more help.
In gen 6 and beyond, they started changing the pokemon's cries. With the majority of pokemon it was made worse, but with pikachu they did an interesting job so that the cry sounds more like something out of the anime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brock is only really hard in pokemon yellow- the only pokemon you can catch at the time which will have moves that are super effective against his pokemon is the great mankey.
Thank goodness for that Mankey. Pokemon Yellow gave me respect for the thing - as well as teaching me that it's ok to rotate out your team when a Pokemon falls to the wayside (like Mankey)

On the topic of Pokemon Yellow, I don't really like it as much as the other Gen I games. Pikachu is a horrible starter and can't even evolve (yes I understand it's emulating the Anime) and a lot of the levels are higher in Yellow making it more difficult. I also have developed a dislike for 3rd versions recently, not because I dislike how its trying to get more money out of kids, but I just wish they'd put their effort into the paired games because no one wants to buy a game twice. Luckily, there hasn't been a 3rd version since Gen IV and I hope it stays that way. I much rather enjoyed the sequels Gen V had to offer. Instead of superior games, B2W2 had a different story and some new locations to make it stand out. Unlike DPP where its play Platinum because the other two are far worse than it, I can play both BW and B2W2 and treat them like separate games.

After the reveals this past Sunday (1 August 2016 for those in the future), I've come to realize something: it seems like I'm of the the few who like quirky, strange designs. I like Rotom-W. I like Garbodor. I even like the ice cream cones to an extent. Most, however, seem to complain.
tbh I feel the best way to approach Pokémon is that it's silly, dumb, and stupid - and for that it's absolutely wonderful and I love it. That's why I love Klefki with it's hilarious design and dex entry; why I love Beedrill with it's massive drill arms and it's Mega min-maxing everything to hell; why Blastoise is amazing because turtle with TANK CANNONS
I mean everyone's entitled to their opinions but when they're saying a Pokémon design is terrible because it's dumb or silly I think they need to chill and realise they're talking about Pokémon

tbh I feel the best way to approach Pokémon is that it's silly, dumb, and stupid - and for that it's absolutely wonderful and I love it. That's why I love Klefki with it's hilarious design and dex entry; why I love Beedrill with it's massive drill arms and it's Mega min-maxing everything to hell; why Blastoise is amazing because turtle with TANK CANNONS
I mean everyone's entitled to their opinions but when they're saying a Pokémon design is terrible because it's dumb or silly I think they need to chill and realise they're talking about Pokémon
I know! Especially Blastoise (being a turtle with two cannons is why I always liked it best of the Kanto starters)!

EDIT: Removed SM Discussion

Last edited by a moderator:
I really didn't like ORAS and the fact that it ignored many of the storyline and content additions from Emerald.
It's called Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire what do you expect? HGSS didn't include many Crystal features and FRLG didn't include many Yellow features. They are remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald. Personally I prefer the conflict of evil teams in RSORAS as one example. ORAS felt really complete as it is and actually introduced new content that wasn't in the originals while keeping mostly true to Ruby and Sapphire. I like the remakes.

EDIT: Disregard the comments about HGSS and FRLG

Last edited:
It's called Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire what do you expect? HGSS didn't include many Crystal features and FRLG didn't include many Yellow features. They are remakes of Ruby and Sapphire, not Emerald. Personally I prefer the conflict of evil teams in RSORAS as one example. ORAS felt really complete as it is and actually introduced new content that wasn't in the originals while keeping mostly true to Ruby and Sapphire. I like the remakes.
not so sure this is true though - hgss includes the eusine/suicune sideplot or w/e you want to call it which is pretty much the big plot change from gold/silver --> crystal.

i agree with pokemaster in that i feel like the emerald plot always made more sense to me in terms of you had these two villainous groups trying to do bad things to accomplish their goal. it never felt right that in one game one group is seemingly "the good guys" and plays little to no role in the game. emerald i thought did a good job at including both teams and really making both of them feel like the bad guys which i think makes the most sense. maybe i'll feel differently once i get further into/complete AS but I still have that feeling when i initially played ruby that it just feels a little lacking only having the one villainous team

not so sure this is true though - hgss includes the eusine/suicune sideplot or w/e you want to call it which is pretty much the big plot change from gold/silver --> crystal.

i agree with pokemaster in that i feel like the emerald plot always made more sense to me in terms of you had these two villainous groups trying to do bad things to accomplish their goal. it never felt right that in one game one group is seemingly "the good guys" and plays little to no role in the game. emerald i thought did a good job at including both teams and really making both of them feel like the bad guys which i think makes the most sense. maybe i'll feel differently once i get further into/complete AS but I still have that feeling when i initially played ruby that it just feels a little lacking only having the one villainous team
Well they're not "the good guys" really. (In AS Maxie threatens you) so its more like a truce than anything else.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As Jalmont said, HGSS had several elements of Crystal in it such as the side story with Eusine and Suicune (which were honestly the only major changes HGSS could have included from Crystal that hadn't become series staples (there was also getting a Dratini with ExtremeSpeed from the Master in Dragon's Den); though instead of just the Battle Tower they added in all of Platinum's Battle Frontier).

As for FRLG, what was there to add? Pikachu following you?

But for ORAS, I understand them sticking to the plot of Ruby & Sapphire. I kind of wished they did change things so you did have to battle the other villain team, but I understand why they didn't add in any Emerald's story elements in. BUT I will not overlook them excluding the Battle Frontier. One their list for the remake the BF should have been on the top of the list and possibly one of the first post game thing to work on. However, being the games were released in November, they probably wanted it out by the holidays so was rushed (which is why they should maybe consider start doing DLC).

EDIT: Disregard the comments about HGSS and FRLG
Since many believe that delta Emerald won't be a thing and that so much of the game's plot revolved around the end game thing with that Zinnia person (whoever she is) and Rayquaza, it may as well have absorbed plot details from the original Emerald...

Since many believe that delta Emerald won't be a thing and that so much of the game's plot revolved around the end game thing with that Zinnia person (whoever she is) and Rayquaza, it may as well have absorbed plot details from the original Emerald...
Delta Emerald was a really stupid idea to begin with (no 3rd Gen I or Gen II remakes). The Delta Episode was important sure but it was just post game. I felt the Delta Episode was quite underwhelming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)