ORAS OU Wow Mega Metagross?

Hey! This is the most recent team I have been using for the past 2 months and would really appreciate any changes that could be made!

The Team

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

To start things off I chose mega metagross, for its high attack and speed stat. Its role on my team is punching holes in the opponents team. It also has many resists which compliments its high defense stat and allows it to switch in on quite a few mons. I chose the 2 common moves of meteor mash and zen headbutt as my STAB, with hammer arm for coverage and ice punch for the unsuspecting landorus or garchomp.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I chose rotom wash to help deal with bird spam and as another defensive mon that will be able to take hits. I chose the usual volt switch and hydro pump as my STAB, and will-o-wisp to burn the physical attackers, and pain split to help regain HP.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 Sp. Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

I next chose landorus therian form for some kind of defensive mon and to help set up stealth rocks. It is also a well needed ground resist with my other pokemon being weak to ground. Stealth rocks to break potential sashes and get residual damage on pokemon switching in. Knock off to, well, knock off any items. U-turn is there to gain momentum, and earthquake is my main STAB.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

I chose keldeo as my main special wallbreaker, seeing as my previous three pokemon are all physical attackers. I went with the usual choice specs set running scald and its 30% chance to burn, hydro pump as my main move to punch holes into the opponents team, and secret sword as my other STAB and is also very useful against any special walls, such as chansey. Icy wind to take care of any ground or dragon types that think they can get a free switch in against me.

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

I chose this mon as my main defoger and a way to slowly widdle down opposing mons. Defog to remove hazards, psyshock and draco meteor as my main STAB, and roost to recover lost HP.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gengar is another one of my special attackers, able to outspeed and widdle down most pokemon with its high special attack and speed. I also chose this pokemon to help block rapid spins, and to switch in on any normal and fighting type moves. I chose shadow ball as my main STAB and sludge wave over sludge bomb for more damage output. Focus blast is to hit dark and steel types. Trick is to cripple those defensive walls such as chansey and clefable.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

As Tinberz said, Celfable will be a well needed dark resist on my team and can be a dragon immunity. It is the typical calm mind set with magic guard. Moonblast is its main attack and soft-boiled is to help it regain HP when setting up, while T wave will be to cripple opposing mons and help the set up easier.

Last edited:
Hi! Nice team you have got!

I'll start off with your team's weaknesses. I don't see any glaring weaknesses, but here are some problems I noticed:
1) Dark: Keldeo is your only real dark resist and without reliable recovery it gets worn down relatively easily.
2) MDiancie is super annoying, especially the Earth Power variants.
3) Electrics are big annoyances too.

Hence, I'll be working on these problems.

Here are my suggestions:

Clefable > Gengar

I searched high and low for a suitable Scarfer for your team but to no avail. In the end, I decided to go with Clef with its ability to check the aforementioned threats to your team. It also takes Dragon hits, something that your team cannot exactly do well and acts as a wincon, something your team obviously lacks. Clef is a great utility mon in many ways and it is a perfect fit to your team. Only regret I have is that I can't retain Gengar's fast role.

Thunder Punch > Zen Headbutt
Thunder Punch + Ice Punch gives you exceptional coverage in BoltBeam. BoltBeam MMetagross is better right now in that it hits a myraid of mons in the current meta. Zen doesn't really hit anything more than what MMetagross' coverage already does outside of Rotom-W, which doesn't even take too much anyway. Thunder Punch is generally more useful rn which is why I recommend this change.

PhysDef Pivot > Your set
Unless your set achieves something specific that greatly benefits your team, I don't see a point running it. The standard Rotom-W set is great as it is, checking and annoying a ton of stuff. The set just maximises its PhysDef capabilities while outspeeding Adamant Craw and Azumarill.

Run 8 SpD / 8 Spe; Rocky Helmet > Lefties
Though 44 Speed Rotom-W isn't too common, I suggest that you should be outspeeding it and U-Turning to Clef because Rotom-W is just a huge, huge annoyance to your team. Also, you should be running Helmet to punish physical contact attackers like Sand Driller, MLop and Scarf Rachi.

Here are the sets:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

And with that, I'm done with my rate. Hope I helped and have a nice day!

Hi! Nice team you have got!

I'll start off with your team's weaknesses. I don't see any glaring weaknesses, but here are some problems I noticed:
1) Dark: Keldeo is your only real dark resist and without reliable recovery it gets worn down relatively easily.
2) MDiancie is super annoying, especially the Earth Power variants.
3) Electrics are big annoyances too.

Hence, I'll be working on these problems.

Here are my suggestions:

Clefable > Gengar

I searched high and low for a suitable Scarfer for your team but to no avail. In the end, I decided to go with Clef with its ability to check the aforementioned threats to your team. It also takes Dragon hits, something that your team cannot exactly do well and acts as a wincon, something your team obviously lacks. Clef is a great utility mon in many ways and it is a perfect fit to your team. Only regret I have is that I can't retain Gengar's fast role.

Thunder Punch > Zen Headbutt
Thunder Punch + Ice Punch gives you exceptional coverage in BoltBeam. BoltBeam MMetagross is better right now in that it hits a myraid of mons in the current meta. Zen doesn't really hit anything more than what MMetagross' coverage already does outside of Rotom-W, which doesn't even take too much anyway. Thunder Punch is generally more useful rn which is why I recommend this change.

PhysDef Pivot > Your set
Unless your set achieves something specific that greatly benefits your team, I don't see a point running it. The standard Rotom-W set is great as it is, checking and annoying a ton of stuff. The set just maximises its PhysDef capabilities while outspeeding Adamant Craw and Azumarill.

Run 8 SpD / 8 Spe; Rocky Helmet > Lefties
Though 44 Speed Rotom-W isn't too common, I suggest that you should be outspeeding it and U-Turning to Clef because Rotom-W is just a huge, huge annoyance to your team. Also, you should be running Helmet to punish physical contact attackers like Sand Driller, MLop and Scarf Rachi.

Here are the sets:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

And with that, I'm done with my rate. Hope I helped and have a nice day!
Thanks for the help! Thinking back on it, most of the things you were talking about were huge annoyances when playing, especially dark types. My only hope when playing against those was hoping that my opponent would misplay and I would KO their dark type ASAP, but I think itll be a lot easier now. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)