ORAS OU Leaving My Opponents Venu-sore

Hello! I made this team awhile back and I've been having a lot of fun with it and I wanted to get the input of others on the team, so anything you say is greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking your time to look at the team!

Quick note: I've had the team for awhile and I don't remember the exact team building process nor am I a great team builder, but I'll tell the roles of the mons and I'll try my best to tell why I chose certain mons.

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Every time I built a team it ended up being really frail, so I thought that I could fix that by building around a bulky mega. You hardly run into Mega Venusaur on the ladder, so I wanted to build around it. I absolutely love the typing and that it stops or at least "slows down" a decent amount of Pokemon. Giga Drain and Synthesis allow it to regain life after being whittled down by the likes of Keldeo, Rocks, and other things. Sludge Bomb serves as its strongest STAB move and stops Fairies, so that's nice. HP Fire hits those Steels that switch in.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic

I chose Heatran to serve as the second part of the fire-water-grass core that's on the team and because it's a decent switch in to Latis that threaten Venusaur, granted Heatran can't do much back other than Toxic or Rocks on the switch if the Lati doesn't have Surf or EQ. I have Landorus and Heatran on this team, and I felt Rocks Tran+Scarf Lando was better than Stallbreak Tran+Rocks Lando, so that's why Tran has Rocks. Lava Plume is STAB move of choice and that 30% burn chance is really nice. Taunt and Toxic help me to wear down fatter mons that I have problems with because I get really impatient with extremely fat things that don't like to go down. Toxic can also help me wear down threats that I need damage on to win later in the game.

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

I chose Bisharp next because I wanted a physical threat that can handle annoying Psychic types like Mega Zam and Starmie, and also because the utility from Knock Off and and the priority from Sucker Punch are nice to have. Bisharp can also handle Clefable pretty well if it gets to set up a few Calm Minds or at least weaken it for Lando or Lati to KO it. Sucker Punch gives it priority which can weaken things for something else to win later. Knock Off provides great utility and is the strongest Dark STAB if the mon has its item. Pursuit traps Latis, which nothing so far on my team handles too great, granted it's a 50/50 with Pursuit and Sucker. I initially had Swords Dance over Pursuit because I found myself in more situations where if I SD'd I won the game in contrast to just trapping a Lati or something I wanted damage on I knew was switching. Iron Head is Steel STAB that handles Clef after a few Calm Minds unless things don't go my way with T-Wave, and while I don't rely on it, the flinch chance is nice.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-W finishes up the Fire-Water-Grass core on the team. I also chose it because it's a phenomenal pivot and it can Will-o huge physical threats or just mons I need weakened. Hydro Pump is necessary for it to be Wash, so I kinda needed that lol and it's high power STAB. Volt Switch provides a way to get momentum in my favor and get some nice damage on things. Will-o cripples physical mons that I need to take hits better from. Pain Split is Rotom's way of getting back HP after taking some hits so it can annoy the opponent a little bit longer.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

I chose Landorus next because I needed something that hit hard, had a way of gaining momentum, and had utility. With 145 base Attack, U-Turn, and Intimidate+Knock Off, Landorus fit what I needed really well. I chose to Choice Scarf Landorus because it could serve as a late game sweeper and I needed something speedy on this team. Stone Edge hits Flying types who are immune to EQ, especially Torn-T because it annoys the team and Rotom is kinda my only way of somewhat handling it unless it doesn't have Super Power or Focus Blast, in which case Heatran can kinda do it. EQ does massive damage to anything it hits and late in the game it can clean up my opponents team. U-Turn completes the Volt-Turn core that I wanted on the team and allows Landorus to get out of an unfavorable match up so I can save it for a potential sweep. Knock Off is good utility and can help get rid of an item on a switch in, which is always great.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Looking at the team, I needed something that could serve as a switch in to Keldeo other than Venusaur as Scald burns annoy Venusaur, I needed hazard removal, I needed something pretty fast, and I needed something that could get off a lot of damage on the other team. Latios and Latias were my obvious choices. I picked Latios because I like the increase in power in comparison to Latias. Draco does a huge amount of damage to a lot of things and can weaken things for Lando or Bisharp to sweep. Psyshock handles the Keldeos that I'll be switching this in on as well as doing a decent amount to Clef and other threats. Defog gets rid of hazards, which I needed pretty badly. Roost lets me recover HP and helps Latios to be a better switch in to Volcanion.

I recommend using Weavile > Bisharp. Bisharp is a good mon but it's not the best pursuit users because it doesn't have that much bulk or speed. On the hand, Weavile has a lot of speed and enough power and coverage to threaten Latios, Latias, Alakazam, and Starmie and can take care of them by pursuiting on a switch or picking them up when weakened.

✧✧✧Hi there, Anime_Fan here✧✧✧

Great job on the team! Their defensive synergy is really impressive and they all work well together. I also love the FGW core you have going there with Venusaur, Heatran and Rotom-W. Not only is the core a classic, but it's also tough to beat! You then completed the team by adding Latios, a popular Charizard Y counter. Clever! From what I can see here, you've clearly put a lot of thought into the team, so I'll my best to offer the best advice I can.

By the way, here are a few pointers about the team:
  • It will be difficult to break through stall.
  • Offensive pressure can really overwhelm this team (from the likes of CS Excadrill, Mega Medicham, Manaphy etc)
Here are some changes that I thought you'd like:

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

I recommend running a defensive set for Landorus-T. It'll really come in handy for tackling offensive pressure, plus its synergy with Rotom-W is even better thanks to its bulk. This variant can also act as secondary means for fending off bird spam as well as Mega Zard-X. I included U-Turn, because as you mentioned before; it's very important when keeping momentum.

Talonflame [Replace Heatran]
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Taunt
- Bulk Up / Will-O-Wisp

Here's an even better fire type, that's also a stall-breaker. One of the main perks of using Talonflame is its access to a powerful priority. Bulk Up increases Talonflame's defence and the offence, which makes its priority move even stronger! This set is an excellent stall-breaker that really punishes the likes of Mega Sabeleye and Gliscor. Will-O-Wisp could be used to cripple common counters to Talonflame such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T. However it's the inferior option since you have Rotom-W and Venusaur on the team.

[Replace Bisharp]
Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab / Low Kick / Pursuit

Professional2341 made an excellent point! By replacing Bisharp with Weavile, this will definitely increase the offensive pressure created by your team. So yeah, that should stop your team from being mostly made up of fat Pokemon (lol). Weavile does a great job of breaking dragons, psychics and ghost types without fail. It also makes an excellent pursuit trapper for beating the Lati-Twins, Tornadus and Starmie. As for its coverage moves, it's really a toss up between beating Fairies, CB Tyranitar or Pursuit trapping. I recommend the Poison Jab; as fast fairies such as Togekiss and Gardeviour can really irritate your team.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire

My final piece of advice would be use to use a more defensive variant of Venusaur! You see, when it comes to Mega Venusaur; its defences and typing are what make this toad really shine! You'd also be able to better-counter offensive Pokemon such as Mega Diancie, Scizor and Excadrill.

Offensively Mega Venusaur doesn't bold so well compared to other Pokemon out there, however with its defence...it's a whole different story ~so try it out! Oh, I also left HP Fire for its neat perk in nailing Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Well, that's it from me, I hope these changes improves your team's performance a lot! Best of luck, byee ~✧

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)