Project ORAS NU Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Close Combat Combusken and Calm Mind Samurott win this week!

For the new week, here are the slates:
Scyther + Superpower
Mesprit + Will-O-Wisp
Garbodor + Slack Off
Pyroar + Nasty Plot

Discuss your thoughts down below!

Superpower SCYTHA
Gives it a powerful Fighting-type coverage move to hit Steel and Rock-types. This means mons like Probopass and Klingklang now fear switching in.... Now, if only it got Bullet Punch, it would be a Bug/Flying Scizor...

Will-O-Wisp Mesprit
Gives it a way to cripple physical attackers that may try to Knock it off and also puts anything else on a timer. Water Veil Floatzel can beat it, though.

Slack Off Garbodor
Makes it a very good wall, now having recovery and that's all it needs to be better. Recovery + Good bulk + Toxic immunity = Rise in viability, maybe even BL3 or RU.

Nasty Plot Pyroar
Makes it kinda like a faster Houndoom, which could improve it greatly. Fire/Normal has pretty decent Neutral coverage, and if Pyroar forces a switch, then it may spell the end for the opponent.

My nomination: Bellosom + Fairy-type + Moonblast, Fairy Wind, and Play Rough
Bellosom is outclassed in 9000 ways by the destroyer of worlds, Vileplume, and to a lesser extent Roselia. Even the oddball Swords Dance set is generally outclassed by Leafeon and Victreebel. But, with a Fairy-typing, Bellosom all of a sudden holds a huge niche as a good defensive Fairy-type or a Physical Fairy that isn't the ultra rare Snubbull. And the only other viable Fairy-types in NU are... Mega Audino...and Clefairy... Marill?... The Poison weakness is a problem, but hey, it wouldn't completely ruin it.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scyther - Now, obviously because I nommed it :3, this would be a godsend and would turn scyther from a good mon into s-rank material. superpower hits basically everything that it commonly struggles with, allowing it to not require teammates to wear down threats like lix and don.

Mesprit - Yeh, this would be hella broken, I mean it'd probs be banned very quickly with this. the ability to cripple dark type mons like shift and skunk and the lesser need to run colbur would just break it.

Garbodor - Erm, hmm... this is quite a weird one imo. problem is, it'd have to give up either focus blast or spikes to use it, which is what it really needs already. it also isn't really a long-standing fighting check either, with certain sets of yama and standard gurdurr beating it out; meaning it wouldn't really help it function any better as a fighting check/counter. sounds good on paper tho.

Pyroar - another one that sounds great on paper, but maybe less-so in practicality. I mean it could work, but considering how frail it is, i'd rather just go for an AOA set with a move like wisp.

Reactions: Em

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
+ Superpower

Nice addition for its Choice Band set! Banded Superpower can actually OHKO a few of Scythers checks like Klinklang and Kabutops or 2HKO on stuff like Piloswine, Steelix and Ferroseed. Would definitely make the Banded set rise in popularity.

+ Will-O-Wisp

Nice option over Twave/ HW on the defensive set. Lets you burn stuff like Skuntank and Steel types. Not much else to say.

+ Nasty Plot

Sounds broken as hell lol. At +2 it 2HKOs Regirock with HP Grass, 2HKOs Lanturn and Magmortar with Hyper Voice. A huge upgrade, maybe a bit too much.

Suggestion: Mr. Mime + Moonblast

Can we focus on lower ranked mons next time?

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
My addiction to CB Scyther would only be greatened by this. Now it can punish Aggron and Steelix much better and it helps to pave a way for its own sweep which is pretty neat.

As if this wasn't the most bendable Pokemon in the tier defensive sets now get a huge boom basically letting Mesprit burn whatever it wants. Makes it check Hitmonchan much better and snag some free burns on various Knock Off users when equipped with Colbur.

RU would snag this mon in two seconds, greatest Venu counter.

Pyroar is already ridiculous to switch into for stall. Add Taunt / Sub and this Pokemon bout to be busting holes like crazy. Not entirely sure but you could maybe run bulk > SpA to better take on stuff like Weezing since it set up a sub then sweep.

Suggesting Murkrow + Parting Shot cuz prankster parting shot might be the best thing ever

Scyther big upgrade, Steel types don't wall it anymore

Mesprit that's broken as well it now basically has no counters between cm and wow it's virtually unbreakable

Pyroar good upgrade and could be a great late game sweeper

Really unfortunate that all of these are for mons that are good to begin with. (All A-ranked)

All of them are really good upgrades though.

Nomination:

Thick Fat Meganium: Finally gives it a niche over the other bulky Grass-types. Probably wouldn't be that good, but still.

Scyther + Superpower
Eh, not feeling it. I don't think that a fighting move on Scyther is that important, while it already has access to Brick Break which isn't really used. Meh.

Mesprit + Will-O-Wisp
Awesome. Mesprit is already a monster in this tier, but with will-o-wisp, it'd become even better. Really like this theorymon.

Garbodor + Slack Off

What a monster. It'd be an even bigger fighting check and kinda check-to-everything, I really like it.

Pyroar + Nasty Plot
Literally busted. I don't think that it'd even stay NU at that point, Pyroar is already pretty good, but with Nasty Plot it'd become a monster.

Nominations: Thick Fat Torterra / Unburden Exeggutor.

Shadestep

volition immanent
Voting time!
Vote for your two favourites
Scyther + Superpower
Mesprit + Will-O-Wisp
Garbodor + Slack Off
Pyroar + Nasty Plot

Shadestep

volition immanent
sorry for the delay; Scyther and Garbodor win!
Week 16:
+ Knock Off
+ Thick Fat
+ Moonblast
+ Magic Guard

Discuss your thoughts down below!

Skuntank + Knock Off
v interesting, makes skuntank even better while its already p good right now.

Torterra + Thick Fat
cool as hell. i nomd it last time and i really like it, making torterra basically nu's mega venusaur. it would most likely make it go higher in usage/vr.

Mr.Mime + Moonblast
i think that specs mr mime is very fun, and im sure that with moonblast id become very good. really nice.

Audino-Mega + Magic Guard
pretty cool too, since maudino's current ability doesnt give it much i think that this is pretty nice. maybe a better clefairy?

nomination: Dodrio + Gale Wings

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
+ Thick Fat

Could become a common rocker and sweeper as it takes less damage from Fire and Ice type attacks. Sounds nice and all but you still suffer from STAB Ice and Fire type moves either way. Would definitely rise in usage with his new ability.

252 SpA Jynx Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 268-324 (68 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 364-437 (92.3 - 110.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 516-612 (130.9 - 155.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 192-228 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 128 SpD Thick Fat Torterra: 205-244 (52 - 61.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+ Moonblast

Would give it more wallbreaking potential! After a Nasty Plot nothing much will switch in on this.

Skuntank + Knock Off
Gives Skuntank a better and more consistent STAB move and let's it remove items from switchins. Example being that it can at least get rid of Gurdurr's Eviolite before it starts Bulking Up. Only downside is that now you have to choose between Pursuit and Sucker Punch or Knock Off and Sucker Punch

Torterra + Thick Fat
Eats up Fire-moves and doesn't automatically die to stuff like Electivire's Ice Punch or Manectric's HP Ice. You still die to some STAB Ice-type moves, as seen in PursuitOfHappiny's calcs, but that's the only downside.

Mr. Mime + Moonblast
Gives it a much stronger STAB Fairy attack to break through stuff with.... that's about it.

Mega Audino + Magic Guard
THIS THING IS NEVER DYING. The Calm Mind set can't be taken down by Toxic anymore and you have Heal Bell for Paralysis on defensive sets. And if your opponent has already put something to sleep, as soon as you can set up, that very well could be GG.

My nomination: Vanilluxe + No Guard and Focus Blast
Allows Vanilluxe to spam Blizzard and Focus Blast, pretty much it.
Also, No Guard Sheer Cold in AG MUAHAHAHAHAH

Skuntank + Knock Off

A stronger STAB is always nice, but honestly it wouldn't make that much difference to its viability.

Torterra + Thick Fat

Solid Rock would've been more fitting flavour wise IMO, but Thick Fat's still a solid ability. Ice moves still hurt a lot though, but it can now eat Fire moves well.

Mr.Mime + Moonblast

Big improvement, Moonblast's a way better move than Dazzling Gleam. Specs Mr. Mime could be a thing?

252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mesprit: 136-161 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mesprit: 161-191 (53.4 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino: 161-191 (39.2 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mr. Mime Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino: 191-226 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mega Audino + Magic Guard

Yeah, no way would this thing be NU. The CroDino set is already tough to break, but now it wouldn't have to run Rest + Sleep Talk as (bar Sleep and maybe paralysis) status wouldn't hinder it at all. RU would almost certainly steal this.

My nomination:

Swanna + No Guard and Hydro Pump.
Perfectly accurate Hurricanes can be very threatening, and it would make Swanna a phenominal offensive Defogger. I don't think it would be broken as it's still pretty frail and it's still not that powerful.

poh

<?>
Mr. Mime
Torterra

Suggestions:
unfezant + acrobatics/brave bird
golurk + shadow sneak

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)