move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Pickpocket
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off allows Shiftry to surprise Pokemon that otherwise check it such as Mismagius and Jynx, which would normally throw out a status move to dodge Sucker Punch. It also allows Shiftry to deal a chunk to Ghost- and Psychic-types like Rotom and Mesprit and remove items of bulkier Pokemon like Steelix and Hariyama. Leaf Blade can allow Shiftry to pressure Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types such as Samurott, Gastrodon, and Rhydon. Rock Slide is used primarily for Charizard, Vivillon, and non-Choice Scarf Scyther, three Pokemon that this set can lure, as it can allow Shiftry to OHKO the former two and Scyther with a Choice Band. Swords Dance Scyther can be OHKOed after taking one Knock Off. Explosion is good for weakening switch-ins like Garbodor and works well on Spikes-stacking teams to pseudo-block any form of entry hazard removal. If Shiftry's other moves can't do the trick, Explosion can be used as a last-ditch move for revenge killing.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf with maximum Speed investment lets Shiftry outspeed some Pokemon that would otherwise outspeed and KO it like Jynx, Charizard, and Scyther and get a surprise revenge kill if Choice Scarf has not yet been revealed. Maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature make Shiftry hit as hard as possible. Pickpocket can sometimes allow Shiftry to punish the opponent for removing its item if Shiftry comes on a weaker move like Knock Off or Aqua Jet. Pickpocket will only ever come into play if you decide to let Shiftry take a Knock Off, making it situational. Chlorophyll can be used to outspeed Leafeon and Sawsbuck in the sun, but this is even more situational than Pickpocket, since sun teams are very rare.

Usage Tips
========

For as long as possible, try to mask Choice Scarf until the opportunity comes to surprise a faster Pokemon like Rotom, which might try to cripple Shiftry with Will-O-Wisp. Also limit yourself from using Rock Slide until a Pokemon weak to it comes in. If you use it too early, the opponent might be more cautious around Shiftry and start to play more carefully. Use Knock Off often early in the match to start crippling the opponent's team by removing their items. Explosion should only be used when you don't have any other options left, like for KOing a faster threat that can't be OHKOed by one of Shiftry's other moves or on a bulky Pokemon like Garbodor and Mega Audino that Shiftry's teammates fail to beat without prior chip damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types can be aided by Shiftry's capabilities, such as luring Pokemon like Charizard, Scyther, Jynx, and Swellow; naturally checking Ghost- and Psychic-types with Knock Off; and sometimes using Explosion on bulky Poison-types. In return, Fighting-types can check Kangaskhan, which weakens Shiftry with Fake Out, and occasionally drop coverage like Stone Edge in exchange for a move that's more practical in different situations. Gurdurr sets up on the majority of physically defensive Pokemon that Shiftry can't beat. Hariyama acts as a switch-in for Ice Shard and Fire-types such as Magmortar, Pyroar, and Combusken not locked into Rock Slide. Primeape can also help to lure in Pokemon that Shiftry wants to beat with U-turn, including Ghost-types or Pokemon such as Scyther, Charizard, and Weezing. Slower wallbreakers like Zangoose appreciate faster Pokemon being lured in and beat by Shiftry to stop the threat of a revenge kill. Of course, other types of wallbreakers like Life Orb Samurott and Magmortar could work well, as they can threaten bulky Grass-types for Shiftry and in exchange Shiftry can get rid of Lanturn, which walls the two mentioned Pokemon. Entry hazard setters appreciate Shiftry, since it can pressure Xatu and pseudo-spinblock with Explosion. This works well with Spikes setters, especially considering Spikes take a lot more effort to put up but get removed much more easily. Garbodor is a prime example, since it can also absorb Mach Punch for Shiftry, and Shiftry can remove Ground-types like Rhydon and Gastrodon in return. Mesprit and Grumpig are nice partners for Shiftry, as they can absorb Mach Punches and retaliate with a strong Psychic STAB move. Grumpig also acts as a switch-in to Fire- and Ice-types like Articuno and Magmortar. Calm Mind users also benefit from Shiftry weakening their checks, like Liepard or Skuntank, with Explosion.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
  • Knock Off allows Shift to surprise normal checks like physical Charizard and Jynx which would normally throw out a status move to dodge Sucker Punch. It also deals a chunk a Ghost- and Psychic-types like Rotom and Mesprit and removes items off bulkier Pokemon.
  • Leaf Blade is more consistent than Knock Off not having to have an item attached for maximum damage and can pressure Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types such as Rhydon, Gastrodon, and Samurott.
  • Rock Slide is used primarily for Charizard and Vivillon, two Pokemon that this set can lure, as it can OHKO both.
  • Explosion is good for weakening switchins like Garbodor and works well on spike stacking teams to pseudo block any form of hazard removal.
- How is Knock Off surprising physical Charizard? Of all the typical Shiftry checks that'd get revenged by Scarf Shiftry, you could've have listed something that isn't meant to take Knock Offs from Shiftry.
- The phrasing you used for Leaf Blade here seems really awkward; you can probably just say Leaf Blade can get certain 2HKOes more reliably as, unlike Knock Off, it doesn't get weaker on the same target on the second hit. Then again, most naturally itemless Pokemon are Acrobatics users, which get picked off better by Rock Slide anyway.
- Rock Slide can also pick off non-Eviolite Scyther, particularly if you've managed to Knock Off bulky Scyther prior.
- Explosion can also be used as a last-ditch revenge killing move if Shiftry's other attacks do not suffice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all that said, I still have some questions (aka not accusations) regarding the fundamental effectiveness of this set, in that Choice Scarf Shftry struggles both to truly warrant use over regular Shiftry and as a whole. Like ok, Scarf Rock Slide picks off Charizard, the Scarf Knock Off gives better insurance against faster Ghosts and Psychics, and it outspeeds +2 Rhydon. However, as far as I can tell that's really all there is to it. Scarf Shiftry really struggles to revenge anything else, since its attacks simply aren't strong enough to seal the deal against the huge majority of newfound targets that it outspeeds (ex: you fail to OHKO Archeops, while Defeatist Acrobatics still has a chance to shred Shiftry, and even Rhydon is only OHKOed by Leaf Blade ~25% of the time), it fails to outspeed pretty much any other boosted threat (even Modest +2 Omastar outspeeds), and it cannot respond against the Quiver Dancers at all while LO Shiftry can still threaten the super strong Sucker Punch while being Sleep Powder-immune. Like, outside of the 3 scenarios I've mentioned earlier, what would you really use this Shiftry for?

Basically, Scarf Shiftry wins over a couple of unfavorable matchups (some of which aren't even unsalvageable in the first place) in favor of not faring any better, if not faring worse against pretty much everything else in the tier. If I wanted to lock down those fast Psychics while still being of use against most Speed boosters, I'd much rather try my hand with Liepard, and just have other stuff that checks DD Rhydon and deals with Charizard more reliably. Forgive my skepticism, but it just seems to me that Choice Scarf Shiftry is still OO at best.

Last edited:
At the above, I like to compare Scarf Shiftry to Scarf Barbaracle; both give up a lot their potential to break through teams in exchange for some surprise value, netting a couple benefits for some teams. Those few things that Scarf Shiftry can do over the normal set are significant enough that the set is worth using, similar to how Scarf Barbaracle only has a few benefits in catching a few Pokemon off guard and Switcheroo to cripple defensive responses. It's definitely better than OO material.

That said, Take Azelfie please get this out of WIP soon, as it has been a week since you last edited the OP.

Punchshroom

At the above, I like to compare Scarf Shiftry to Scarf Barbaracle; both give up a lot their potential to break through teams in exchange for some surprise value, netting a couple benefits for some teams. Those few things that Scarf Shiftry can do over the normal set are significant enough that the set is worth using, similar to how Scarf Barbaracle only has a few benefits in catching a few Pokemon off guard and Switcheroo to cripple defensive responses. It's definitely better than OO material.
To this, I'd more closely compare Scarf Shiftry to Scarf Kabutops (which you've bashed), except Shiftry probably has even more to lose than to gain by going Scarf, especially since the power drop is very noticeable. Shiftry already has obscenely strong priority in Sucker Punch, but more importantly it doesn't have the power, appropriate coverage, nor the high BP moves to revenge most of the faster mons in the tier as reliably as a Scarf mon is expected to; at least the Scarf Rock / Water-types have super effective STAB, Superpower, and resistances to effectively deal with practically all the ≥base 90 Speed mons in the tier.

You said 'those few things' Scarf Shiftry has over the normal set gives it merit, but so far I've only been able to name three (Rock Slide against Charizard, catch fast non-Colbur Psychics & Ghosts off-guard, revenge RP Rhydon) while you didn't even bring up any additional advantages Scarf Shiftry may have, which kind of leads me to further believe that this is all Scarf Shiftry really offers. I mean Scarf Explosion is cute and all, but if you're resorting to this to take care of sweepers as opposed to using a more designated Scarfer that doesn't need to blow itself up, there are probably more glaring teambuilding issues at hand. We all know that attempting to blanket check numerous sweepers at once as opposed to targeting the few truly problematic ones has never worked out very well (cough*Ditto*cough)

How is losing incredible sweeping potential not a huge sacrifice in the case of Scarf Barbaracle. Scarf Kabutops is not even a good comparison because a few common things hard wall it and it doesn't have the tools to break past said walls. Shiftry at least can Knock Off items from its checks and make even easier to wear down. And how is Knock Off not strong again? Yeah it won't be KOing a couple things from full, but it's certainly spammable and safe enough to lock into the move which gives it more consistency over Stone Edge on Kabutops or Barbarcle. Scarf Shiftry provides only a few benefits and is a bit specific on what teams it works on, but those are significant enough where the rest of the team agreed that this deserves a set. It's not like I'm just talking about this on paper here; I've used this set to good success and so have a few others. Just look at ryan's recent RMT featuring it as an example. I'm not going to debate this any further and I suggest for you to do the same because it's clear we're not going to come to agreement. This is only going to be counterproductive to this analysis' progress.

Punchshroom

How is losing incredible sweeping potential not a huge sacrifice in the case of Scarf Barbaracle. Scarf Kabutops is not even a good comparison because a few common things hard wall it and it doesn't have the tools to break past said walls.
Scarf Barbaracle exchanges huge sweeping potential for the ability to OHKO nearly every fast mon in the tier, while being able to directly softcheck a few, so it's simply remaining effective at something else. I also don't know how "a few common things hard wall it and it doesn't have the tools to break past said walls" doesn't also apply to Shiftry to some extent, because it's going full physical (as opposed to mixed Leaf Storm), its Knock Offs become substantially less powerful to the point where Shiftry can fail to even 3HKO what it could formerly 2HKO, and it's Choice locked.

Shiftry at least can Knock Off items from its checks and make even easier to wear down. And how is Knock Off not strong again? Yeah it won't be KOing a couple things from full, but it's certainly spammable and safe enough to lock into the move which gives it more consistency over Stone Edge on Kabutops or Barbarcle.
I'm not saying Knock Off isn't strong; I was saying it's not strong enough against most of the mons Shiftry now outspeeds (and this is assuming they don't carry Colbur). Scarf Knock Off is more of a disruptive tool for its teammates than an outright wallbreaking attack since Shiftry itself can't really finish the job if not do so ineffectively, and while it's certainly spammable its revenge killing level isn't particularly high, which may pose a bit of a problem when Shiftry would most definitely incentivize OHKOing its foes, since it gets easily KOed itself and can barely switch into offensive mons.

Scarf Shiftry provides only a few benefits and is a bit specific on what teams it works on, but those are significant enough where the rest of the team agreed that this deserves a set. It's not like I'm just talking about this on paper here; I've used this set to good success and so have a few others. Just look at ryan's recent RMT featuring it as an example. I'm not going to debate this any further and I suggest for you to do the same because it's clear we're not going to come to agreement. This is only going to be counterproductive to this analysis' progress.
Alright, I'll concede and give you and those others the benefit of the doubt that you've made Scarf Shiftry work consistently enough times to warrant the set. However, I can't find ryan's RMT anywhere and the only trace of Scarf Shiftry I've seen is Take Azelfie's team on Sample teams, and honestly from his description of Scarf Shiftry, it looks like something like a Scarf Magmortar may be able to handle his issues better. With that said, I've already offered some of my thoughts on how to improve the wording on the set so it's not as if I'm completely adverse to it.

• Knock Off allows Shiftry to surprise normal checks like Tauros and Jynx which would normally throw out a status move to dodge Sucker Punch. It also deals a chunk a Ghost- and Psychic-types like Rotom and Mesprit and removes items off bulkier Pokemon.
Huh? Tauros doesn't do this, so list another example (also Hootie this is partially what I meant about Scarf Shiftry not having many designated targets to revenge), or maybe even just change the latter wording to accomadate this, such as "surprise the foe with a fast Knock Off while they are expecting Sucker Punch" or something like that.
- Pickpocket can sometimes punish the opponent for removing your item by stealing it if it comes on a weaker move like Fake Out.
Considering the most relevant user of Fake Out in the tier is Kangaskhan, this is implying you're attempting to switch Shiftry into Kanga for the sake of stealing its item but putting yourself under its complete mercy (Adamant instead of Jolly, no Sucker Punch). Better examples would be attacks Shiftry actually resists, like Volt Switch, Shadow Ball, and even Knock Off (Pickpocket activates after Knock Off's effect, so you won't lose the item Shiftry stole on the same turn).

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
You mention bulky Pokemon that Shiftry can knock off. Add some examples here!

Set:
Reword 'previous checks' to something like 'Pokemon that would normally be able to outpace and KO Shiftry'.
Mention that Pickpocket rarely ever comes into play.

Team Details:
mention CM Psychics in Team Options as they heavily appreciate Shiftry's ability to chunk Skuntank and Liepard with Explosion. Explain how they cover eachothers weaknesses too, for the most part.

QC 1/3

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Overview:
You mention bulky Pokemon that Shiftry can knock off. Add some examples here!

Set:
Reword 'previous checks' to something like 'Pokemon that would normally be able to outpace and KO Shiftry'.
Mention that Pickpocket rarely ever comes into play.

Team Details:
mention CM Psychics in Team Options as they heavily appreciate Shiftry's ability to chunk Skuntank and Liepard with Explosion. Explain how they cover eachothers weaknesses too, for the most part.

QC 1/3
Implemented

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Give some more relevant examples of wallbreakers that Shiftry supports, such as Magmortar and Samurott. Other than that, maybe mention how Chlorophyll is also a decent option for outspeeding faster Chlorophyll sweepers such as +Speed Shiftry, Leafeon, and Sawsbuck in a pinch, and clarify that Pickpocket is only useful if you try and switch into Knock Offs for some reason. Idk if X-Scissor is worth a mention or not so you do more to other Grass-types and get a stronger hit on Malamar; see what someone else on QC says in that regard. Explosion obviously does more against these targets but KOing itself is a significant downside so some argument could be made in X-Scissor being Moves worthy.

I wouldn't use X-Scissor on this, just not a good lock-in and the coverage it provides isn't that great (also if that's your way to keeping Malamar in check then lol). Adding to erisia's point on wallbreakers, I'd add Life Orb Samurott and Magmortar because they both break past physically defensive Grass-types, things like Vileplume and Gourgeist, and other physically defensive mons like all of the Poison-types, while Shiftry breaks past the likes of Lanturn and can clean up teams that said wallbreakers weaken late-game.

Everything else looks fine, so 2/3

Rare Poison

if im butter then ur a hot knife
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
amcheck! implement what you want and feel free to ask questions about anything I edited.
add/change; remove; (comment); (AC) = add comma; (RC) = remove comma
[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Rock Slide

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off allows Shiftry to surprise normal common checks like Mismagius and Jynx which would normally throw out a status move to dodge Sucker Punch. It also allows Shiftry to deals a chunk a to Ghost- and Psychic-types like Rotom and Mesprit and removes items off of bulkier Pokemon like Steelix and Hariyama. Leaf Blade can allow Shiftry to pressure Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types such as Samurott, Gastrodon, and Rhydon. [Rock Slide is used primarily for Charizard, Vivillon, and Choice Band Scyther, 3 three Pokemon that this set can lure, as it can allow Shiftry to OHKO the former two. Swords Dance Scyther can be OHKOed after taking one Knock Off.] (the brackets so you know which part I'm talking about. okay, so I'm not actually sure if you're referencing the same Scyther set or not because you didn't mention what Rock Slide allowed Shiftry to do to Choice Band Scyther but in the next sentence you did for Swords Dance Scyther. If you're referencing the same set, add "and OHKO the latter after Knock Off" at the end of the first sentence and get rid of the second sentence. If you're not referencing the same set, keep the second sentence and add elaborate what Rock Slide allowed Shiftry to do to Choice Band Scyther. I hope this made sentence, feel free to ask if it didn't.) Explosion is good for weakening switch-(hyphen)ins like Garbodor and works well on Spikes-(hyphen)stacking teams to pseudo-(hyphen)block any form of hazard removal. If Shiftry'(space)s other moves can't make the cut (maybe use a different phrase for clarity purposes), (AC) Explosion can be used as a last ditch effort move for revenge killing.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf with maximum Speed investment let'(remove apostrophe)s Shiftry outspeed some Pokemon that would normally otherwise outspeed and KO it like Jynx, Charizard, and Scyther and get a surprise revenge kill if Choice Scarf has not yet been revealed. Maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature makes it so Shiftry can hit as hard as possible. Pickpocket can sometimes allow Shiftry to punish the opponent for removing your its item by stealing it if it comes on a weaker move like Knock Off and Aqua Jet. It will only ever come to play if you decide to let Shiftry take a Knock Off, (AC) making it situational. Chlorophyll can be used to outspeed Leafeon and Sawsbuck in the sun to, but this is even more situational than Pickpocket. (why? elaborate)

Usage Tips
========

For as long as possible, (AC) try to mask your Choice Scarf until the opportunity comes to surprise a faster Pokemon like Rotom, (AC) who which may try to cripple Shiftry with Will-O-Wisp. Also limit yourself from using Rock Slide until a Pokemon who is weak to it comes in. If you use it too early, (AC) they may be more cautious around Shiftry and start to play more carefully. Use Knock Off often early in the match to start crippling the opponent'(add apostrophe)s team by removing there the items of foes. Explosion should only be used when you don't have any other options left, (AC) like for KOing a faster threat that can't be OHKOed by one of Shiftry's other moves, (AC) or on a bulky Pokemon like Garbodor and Mega Audino that the rest of Shiftry's teammates fail to beat without prior chip damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types all get supported by a few things Shiftry is capable of, (AC) such as luring Pokemon like Charizard, Scyther, Jynx, and Swellow, (AC) as well as naturally checking Ghost-(hyphen) and Psychic-types with Knock Off and some(remove space)times using Explosion on bulky Poison-types. In return, (AC) they Fighting-types can check Kangaskhan, (AC) who which weakens Shiftry with Fake Out, (AC) and occasionally drop coverage like Stone Edge in exchange for better coverage. (maybe elaborate on what "better coverage" is) Gurdurr sets up on the majority of physically defensive Pokemon that Shiftry can't beat. Hariyama provides acts as a switch-in for an Ice Shard switch and Fire-types such as switchin against Magmortar, Pyroar, and Combusken after it'(apostrophe)s already locked into a move other than Rock Slide. (which Pokemon are you referring to in the latter part of the sentence?? it doesn't make any sense to me) Primeape can also help to lure in Pokemon that Shiftry wants to beat with U-turn, (AC) such as like Ghost-types such as, (RC) Scyther, Charizard, and Weezing. Slower wallbreakers like Zangoose appreciate faster Pokemon being lured in and beat by Shiftry to stop them from revenge killing them. Of course, (AC) other types of wallbreakers like Life Orb Samurott and Magmortor could work well, (AC) as they can threaten bulky Grass-types for Shiftry, and in exchange, (AC) Shiftry can get rid of Lanturn, (AC) which wall the two mentioned. Hazard setters appreciate Shiftry, (AC) since it can pressure Xatu and pseudo-(hyphen)spinblock with Explosion. This works well with Spikes setters, (AC) especially, (AC) since Spikes they take a lot more effort to put up but get taken down removed much easily easier. Garbodor is a prime example, (AC) since it can also absorb Mach Punch for Shiftry, (AC) and Shiftry can remove Ground-types like Rhydon and Gastrodon in return for Garbodor. Mesprit and Grumpig are nice partners for Shiftry, (AC) as they can absorb Mach Punches and retaliate with a strong Psychic STAB move. Grumpig also acts as gives Shiftry a switch-in into Fire- and Ice-types like Articuno and Magmortar. If they are using Calm Mind users they also benefit from Shiftry weakening there their checks, (AC) like Liepard or Skuntank, (AC) with Explosion.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

RP: add/change; remove; (comment); (AC) = add comma; (RC) = remove comma
TDP: add / fix remove (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off allows Shiftry to surprise normal common ("normal" checks is fine since they check its other sets (im assuming), something like "Pokemon that otherwise check it" would be fine too for a prettier wording) checks like Mismagius and Jynx, (AC) which would normally throw out a status move to dodge Sucker Punch. It also allows Shiftry to deals ("it deals" is fine, and less repetitive!) a chunk a to Ghost- and Psychic-types like Rotom and Mesprit and removes items off of bulkier Pokemon like Steelix and Hariyama. Leaf Blade can allow Shiftry to (this one im cool with, i don't see it as super required but yes the move does not directly pressure them, shiftry does with the threat of the move) pressure Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types such as Samurott, Gastrodon, and Rhydon. [Rock Slide is used primarily for Charizard, Vivillon, and Choice Band Scyther, 3 three Pokemon that this set can lure, as it can allow Shiftry to OHKO the former two. Swords Dance Scyther can be OHKOed after taking one Knock Off.] (the brackets so you know which part I'm talking about. okay, so I'm not actually sure if you're referencing the same Scyther set or not because you didn't mention what Rock Slide allowed Shiftry to do to Choice Band Scyther but in the next sentence you did for Swords Dance Scyther. If you're referencing the same set, add "and OHKO the latter after Knock Off" at the end of the first sentence and get rid of the second sentence. If you're not referencing the same set, keep the second sentence and add elaborate what Rock Slide allowed Shiftry to do to Choice Band Scyther. I hope this made sentence, feel free to ask if it didn't.) Explosion is good for weakening switch-(hyphen)ins like Garbodor and works well on Spikes-(hyphen)stacking (no hyphen. kinda tricky but it's not really "teams that stack Spikes" as much as "teams that employ a strategy called Spikes stacking") teams to pseudo-(hyphen)block any form of entry hazard removal. If Shiftry'(space)s other moves can't make the cut (maybe use a different phrase for clarity purposes "do the trick" or something ye), (AC) Explosion can be used as a last-ditch (AH) effort move for revenge killing.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf with maximum Speed investment let'(remove apostrophe)s Shiftry outspeed some Pokemon that would normally otherwise (optional but okay) outspeed and KO it like Jynx, Charizard, and Scyther and get a surprise revenge kill if Choice Scarf has not yet been revealed. Maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature makes it so Shiftry can hit as hard as possible. Pickpocket can sometimes allow Shiftry to punish the opponent for removing your its item by stealing it if it comes on a weaker move like Knock Off and or Aqua Jet. It will only ever come to play if you decide to let Shiftry take a Knock Off, (AC) making it situational. Chlorophyll can be used to outspeed Leafeon and Sawsbuck in the sun to, but this is even more situational than Pickpocket. (why? elaborate)

Usage Tips
========

For as long as possible, (AC) try to mask your Choice Scarf until the opportunity comes to surprise a faster Pokemon like Rotom, (AC) who which may try to cripple Shiftry with Will-O-Wisp. Also limit yourself from using Rock Slide until a Pokemon who is weak to it comes in. If you use it too early, (AC) they may be more cautious around Shiftry and start to play more carefully. Use Knock Off often early in the match to start crippling the opponent'(add apostrophe)s team by removing there the items of foes. (or just "their items"!) Explosion should only be used when you don't have any other options left, (AC) like for KOing a faster threat that can't be OHKOed by one of Shiftry's other moves, (AC) (nope, two-item list so no comma) or on a bulky Pokemon like Garbodor and Mega Audino that the rest of Shiftry's teammates fail to beat without prior chip damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types all get supported by a few things Shiftry is capable of, (AC) such as luring Pokemon like Charizard, Scyther, Jynx, and Swellow, (AC) as well as naturally checking Ghost-(hyphen) and Psychic-types with Knock Off, (AC, serial comma) and some(remove space)times using Explosion on bulky Poison-types. In return, (AC) they Fighting-types can check Kangaskhan, (AC) who which weakens Shiftry with Fake Out, (AC) and occasionally drop coverage like Stone Edge in exchange for better coverage. (maybe elaborate on what "better coverage" is) Gurdurr sets up on the majority of physically defensive Pokemon that Shiftry can't beat. Hariyama provides acts as a switch-in for an Ice Shard switch and Fire-types such as switchin against Magmortar, Pyroar, and Combusken after it'(apostrophe)s already locked into a move other than Rock Slide. (which Pokemon are you referring to in the latter part of the sentence?? it doesn't make any sense to me) (it's = Shiftry is, I'm thinking?) Primeape can also help to lure in Pokemon that Shiftry wants to beat with U-turn, (AC) such as like Ghost-types such as, (RC) ("such as Ghost-types, Scyther, Charizard, and Weezing") Scyther, Charizard, and Weezing. Slower wallbreakers like Zangoose appreciate faster Pokemon being lured in and beat by Shiftry to stop them from revenge killing them. Of course, (AC) other types of wallbreakers like Life Orb Samurott and Magmortor Magmortar could work well, (AC) as they can threaten bulky Grass-types for Shiftry, and in exchange, (AC) Shiftry can get rid of Lanturn, (AC) which wall walls the two mentioned. Entry hazard setters appreciate Shiftry, (AC) since it can pressure Xatu and pseudo-(hyphen)spinblock with Explosion. This works well with Spikes setters, (AC) especially, (AC) since Spikes they take a lot more effort to put up but get taken down removed much easily easier. (adverb so "more easily", don't think "easier" is okay as an adverb (yet) ) Garbodor is a prime example, (AC) since it can also absorb Mach Punch for Shiftry, (AC) and Shiftry can remove Ground-types like Rhydon and Gastrodon in return for Garbodor. Mesprit and Grumpig are nice partners for Shiftry, (AC) as they can absorb Mach Punches and retaliate with a strong Psychic STAB move. Grumpig also acts as gives Shiftry a switch-in into Fire- and Ice-types like Articuno and Magmortar. If they are using Calm Mind users they also benefit from Shiftry weakening there their checks, (AC) like Liepard or Skuntank, (AC) with Explosion.

v. good work RP

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Take Azelfie

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off allows Shiftry to surprise Pokemon that otherwise check it like such as Mismagius and Jynx, which would normally throw out a status move to dodge Sucker Punch. It also allows Shiftry to deal a chunk to Ghost- and Psychic-types like Rotom and Mesprit and remove items of bulkier Pokemon like Steelix and Hariyama. Leaf Blade can allow Shiftry to pressure Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types such as Samurott, Gastrodon, and Rhydon. Rock Slide is used primarily for Charizard, Vivillon, and non-Choice Scarf Scyther, three Pokemon that this set can lure, as it can allow Shiftry to OHKO the former two and Scyther with a Choice Band. Swords Dance Scyther can be OHKOed after taking one Knock Off. Explosion is good for weakening switch-ins like Garbodor and works well on Spikes-stacking teams to pseudo-block any form of entry hazard removal. If Shiftry's other moves can't do the trick, Explosion can be used as a last-ditch move for revenge killing.

Set Details
========

Choice Scarf with maximum Speed investment lets Shiftry outspeed some Pokemon that would otherwise outspeed and KO it like Jynx, Charizard, and Scyther and get a surprise revenge kill if Choice Scarf has not yet been revealed. Maximum Attack EVs and an Adamant nature make it so Shiftry can hit as hard as possible. Pickpocket can sometimes allow Shiftry to punish the opponent for removing its item by stealing it if it the foe? Or Shiftry? You used "it" three times in this sentence and I don't know what any of them mean comes on a weaker move like Knock Off or Aqua Jet. It Pickpocket will only ever come into play if you decide to let Shiftry take a Knock Off, making it situational. Chlorophyll can be used to outspeed Leafeon and Sawsbuck in the sun, but this is even more situational than Pickpocket, (AC) since sun teams are very rare.

Usage Tips
========

For as long as possible, try to mask Choice Scarf until the opportunity comes to surprise a faster Pokemon like Rotom, which may might try to cripple Shiftry with Will-O-Wisp. Also limit yourself from using Rock Slide until a Pokemon weak to it comes in. If you use it too early, they may the opponent might be more cautious around Shiftry and start to play more carefully. Use Knock Off often early in the match to start crippling the opponent's team by removing their items. Explosion should only be used when you don't have any other options left, like for KOing a faster threat that can't be OHKOed by one of Shiftry's other moves or on a bulky Pokemon like Garbodor and Mega Audino that Shiftry's teammates fail to beat without prior chip damage.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types all get supported by a few things Shiftry is capable of can be aided by Shiftry's capabilities, such as luring Pokemon like Charizard, Scyther, Jynx, and Swellow; (SC) naturally checking Ghost- and Psychic-types with Knock Off; (SC) and sometimes using Explosion on bulky Poison-types. In return, Fighting-types can check Kangaskhan, which weakens Shiftry with Fake Out, and occasionally drop coverage like Stone Edge in exchange for a move that's more practical in different situations. Gurdurr sets up on the majority of physically defensive Pokemon that Shiftry can't beat. Hariyama acts as a switch-in for Ice Shard and Fire-types such as Magmortar, Pyroar, and Combusken after it's already locked into a move other than not locked into Rock Slide. Primeape can also help to lure in Pokemon that Shiftry wants to beat with U-turn, like including Ghost-types such as Ghost-types or Pokemon such as, (RC) Scyther, Charizard, and Weezing. Slower wallbreakers like Zangoose appreciate faster Pokemon being lured in and beat by Shiftry to stop them from revenge killing them the threat of a revenge kill. Of course, other types of wallbreakers like Life Orb Samurott and Magmortar could work well, as they can threaten bulky Grass-types for Shiftry, (RC) and in exchange, (RC) Shiftry can get rid of Lanturn, which walls the two mentioned Pokemon. Entry hazard setters appreciate Shiftry, since it can pressure Xatu and pseudo-spinblock with Explosion. This works well with Spikes setters, especially, since considering Spikes take a lot more effort to put up but get removed much more easily. Garbodor is a prime example, since it can also absorb Mach Punch for Shiftry, and Shiftry can remove Ground-types like Rhydon and Gastrodon in return. Mesprit and Grumpig are nice partners for Shiftry, as they can absorb Mach Punches and retaliate with a strong Psychic STAB move. Grumpig also acts as a switch-in to Fire- and Ice-types like Articuno and Magmortar. Calm Mind users also benefit from Shiftry weakening their checks, like Liepard or Skuntank, with Explosion.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)