ORAS OU Dual Screens Offense

Hi all,

I recently made a Dual Screens Offense team centred around bulky wallbreakers on a very sudden whim that I've been enjoying using. Here it is:

klefki.png

Alicia Keys (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
Klefki's just here for getting the screens up, really. As far as most expendable leads go, he lacks general offensive presence but having decent all around bulk counterbalances that. If he gets up one right corresponding screen, he's pretty much done his job and switches easily into one of his fellow team members. This set is slightly different to the usual, replacing Fairy Lock with Dazzling Gleam and Foul Play with Thunder Wave, the former due to Fairy STAB being more helpful than Foul Play since I already have it on another Pokemon, and the latter allowing Klefki to cripple certain leads. Unfortunately, there's an evident weakness to Charizard and Rotom-W, but they don't bother all of my team. In general, Klefki's helpful for being my lead 99% of the time, and for being an easy sack to get that pivotal free switch.

250px-149Dragonite.png

Dragone-fishing (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
Dragonite goes excellently with dual screens and, in my opinion, really abuses them. With Multiscale at full health with the right corresponding screen, Dragonite sets up very smoothly and is incredibly effective at setting up. Not only that, but Dragonite is my cleaner half the time, due to Extreme Speed OHKOing half of the metagame that tries to switch into it, such as Ice Shard Weavile. The set itself is relatively standard but, notwithstanding that, effective; Dragon Dance helps Dragonite outspeed certain Pokemon and boost his attack; Dragon Claw is standard STAB, used over Outrage for switch-ins such as Skarmory and Clefable; Extreme Speed helps Dragonite pick off Pokemon at low health and hit other priority attackers (i.e. Bisharp and Weavile), and will incline to hit first at +1, as well as its handy neutral coverage; and Earthquake is there for coverage, and hits steel types like non-Air Balloon Heatran and Ferrothorn switch-ins. I run Adamant over Jolly, too, since +1 is usually enough to outspeed threats. Main counters include Skarmory, which I again can switch into. Finally, the Lum Berry is there to ward off status inflictions so that I can get an extra turn of setting up.

250px-721Volcanion.png

Vesuvian (Volcanion) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Volcanion is my favourite special wallbreaker in the tier, having excellent type coverage and hitting incredibly hard with its STAB attacks. Water Absorb is another big boost, eating Scalds for the team. Again, Volcanion works exceptionally well with Dual Screens, since being naturally bulky initially allows it to get at least one OHKO off unless facing against complete counters. Specs are there for maximum damage output and, in amalgam with Modest, Volcanion has very few switch-ins, especially when mantled by the screens. Moveset-wise, Volcanion has his signature move - Steam Eruption - which is a no-brainer, having a 30% burn rate and 110 power, Flamethrower, for STAB, used over Fire Blast for the accuracy, Sludge Bomb for fairies, since it's excellent at repelling them away, and HP Grass for Quagsire and Rotom-W (I chose it over HP Ice since my next Pokemon has it and because of Steam Eruption OHKOing things like Gliscor and Landorus regardless). Volcanion works well in synergy with Dragonite, too, since Dragonite eats the ground type attacks and Volcanion the fairy and steel.

250px-462Magnezone.png

Polarity (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
Magnezone works even better with Dragonite, easily trapping Skarmory and 2HKOing Sturdy variants (which compose 100% of the competitive Skarmories). This isn't Magnezone's only niche: their access to a naturally high defense stat allows an easy switch into physical attackers and outspeeding them for high damage with STAB TBolt. I'm running Timid for speed this time since Magnezone's Need For Speed™ really gains that +1 Gale Wings priority, know what I'm saying? Volt Switch is incredibly helpful for switching and chip damage, and is helpful against Skarmory, helping my mega. HP Ice is there for Landorus and Gliscor, 2HKOing the former and OHKOing the latter since Magnezone has a real flair for baiting them in. Flash Cannon is there for Fairies, and TBolt is there for general STAB. Magnezone's main counters are faster threats, such as Mega Lopunny, which I can thankfully switch into - sometimes, at least.

gallade-mega.jpg

Energy Drink (Gallade) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
Gallade is my favourite Mega, but being my favourite isn't the reason why he's here. Gallade's excellent special bulk forms a synergy with Magnezone, with it being able to switch into special hits very easily. This set is a Bulk Up set, which works exceptionally with Dual Screens, making Gallade incredibly bulky. At +2, Gallade lives a Brave Bird from Talonflame - same with +1 under Reflect - and can OHKO offensive variants with Zen Headbutt at +1. Unfortunately, burns and paralysis screw Gallade up, but Bulky Talonflame is relatively uncommon and paralysis is carried by certain checks which I won't stay into. Aside from Bulk Up, this Gallade variant has Drain Punch for STAB and for alleviating that vulnerability to getting worn down, Knock Off for Psychic types, and Zen Headbutt for STAB. This is a modified Gallade variant but, in my opinion, the best.

250px-630Mandibuzz.png

Buzzfeed (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Roost
Here's Mandibuzz which, again, abuses Dual Screens. With its superb natural bulk, walling is no stranger and a definite selling point; moreover, Mandibuzz' access to Defog and Taunt played a big part in this team's win rate. With Dual Screens, Mandibuzz can easily stay into a super-effective attack, and the great defensive typing is another massive bonus. As an ability, I've given it Overcoat, since that gives immunity to spore moves and the weather, as well as an Impish nature (+Def, -SpA). In its move set, it has Defog for getting rid of Spike stacks and rocks, Foul Play for STAB and for physical attackers, Taunt to stop status conditions and set up, and Roost for the recovery. This was my first choice as a Defogger, and it's never failed me.

Thanks for reading my RMT, and I hope you can provide some constructive criticism!

Importable: http://pastebin.com/gsawjzzD

Hey Bellamybug that's a really cool team you have there! Dual Screens are awesome, and Klefki is one of the best setters out there. Your team is fairly good so far, but I think we can make it better with a few changes :)

First off, Dual Screens Klefki is a great Pokemon, and I like your moveset a lot. The only thing I would change is Klefki's EV Spread, making it more physically defensive than specially. Most of the common leads in the current metagame are also physical attackers, like Landorus-T and Garchomp. With a fully physically defensive set, Klefki is able to handle other leads better.

Dragonite is an okay Pokemon in the current metagame, in my opinion, but I like the role it has on your team. Your set is pretty standard, but I would recommend a Jolly Nature over an Adamant Nature. At +1 with an Adamant nature, Dragonite only hits 388.5 (389) Speed, leaving it to be outspeed by Mega Manetric, Mega Lopunny, and Pokemon with a Base Speed Stat >70, like Breloom. With a Jolly Nature and at +1, Dragonite hits 426 Speed, giving it a comfortable margin between all of the Pokemon listed earlier.

Volcanion is a cool Pokemon, but it is hard to use in the current metagame. With Ground-Type Pokemon running amok, Volcanion just doesn't have the Speed to keep up with them, and KO them before they get a huge chunk of damage off to you. Instead of Volcanion, either Choice Specs of LO Keldeo would work great on your team. Keldeo is faster than Volcanion, and faster than most of the Ground-Types in the tier. Keldeo also makes your team a little less weak to Landorus-T and Stealth Rocks. Keldeo is also to able to hit Mega Lopunny hard with Secret Sword, allowing Dragonite to set-up easier. Choice Specs can be run to increase overall damage, but a CM LO set can be used as another win-condition/set-up screen sweeper.

Now this next change may seem a little strange, and I admit it is, but I would change Magnezone out for Scarf Jirachi. Before you say no, let me explain my though process. Prior to my suggestions, Magnezone was used as your Steel-Type Counter, and sometimes as a momentum generator. Thats about it. I introduced Keldeo to your team, giving you another check to Steel-Types, including Heatran, a Steel-Type that walls Magnezone. With a Scarf Jirachi, you have a sure-fire answer to CM Clefable, who can 1 v. 1 Magnezone, a way to deal damage to the Lati's (with U-Turn), and a way to heal up your offensive Pokemon with Healing Wish. Say your Dragonite is statused, and low on health. Use Jirachi to patch it back up. Jirachi also gives you another way to hit Mega Venusaur besides Mega Gallade, a Pokemon who would otherwise eat hits from this team. Jirachi is also faster than Scarf Landorus-T, making it less of a threat.

Mega Gallade is an underrated Pokemon in my opinion, and has the potential to become one of the best Mega Evolutions. In fact, I wrote a blurb about it once in an underrated OU Pokemon thread thingy, but thats beside the point. For some reason, you decided to not run Max Attack on your Gallade, so that is definitely something I would change. Bulk Up is an okay boosting move, but I prefer the immediate power of Swords Dance, but its personal preference. I would however, definitely change Drain Punch for Close Combat. Drain Punch provides nice recovery, but now you have Jirachi to heal you back up to full, and Mega Gallade appreciates the extra power. Other than that, I have no issue with Gallade, but you may want to consider Shadow Sneak over Knock Off to hit Pokemon with some priority damage.

Mandibuzz is a great defensive Pokemon and hazard remover for your team, and I wouldn't change anything about it :)

Overall, I hope these changes will help you on your quest to become a great competitive battler. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or reply to this post :)

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Keldeo @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump / Calm Mind
- Icy Wind

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up / Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Shadow Sneak
- Zen Headbutt

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic / Taunt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)