Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of new stuff today. Team Aether is interesting and adds credence to my theory that Team Skull might not be our true villain team after all. Or that video games have taught me to be distrustful of entirely white future tech people with an artificial island claiming to be working for a better world.

Dexio and that girl whose name escapes me are back. Yay!

New pokemon: a bunch of interesting ones. Type: Null is definitely the weirdest though, it's a very bizarre take. But then UB-01 is just as strange and mysterious. Guess we'll need more info.

I loved Aloha Rattata and now Aloha Raticate ruined it. It's a downgrade for me.

Cutiefly's evo looks cool, and I like our new pure dragon type pokemon.

What if,
the Aether Foundation was tired of the Pokémon World being in jeopardy because people tried to abuse the powers of mighty legendaries for their own agendas multiple times and they decided to create monsters that would be on par with those powerful legendaries like Groudon, Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia, Xerneas and Yveltal?

UB-01 was their first attempt but they couldn't control it, so it fled from the laboratory and changed its appereance to hide from them.

So let's see what we got here:

Type: Null - Finally, a chimera Pokemon! Absolutely love its design, though I feel it's a missed opportunity for our first Normal/Ghost type. The name is a little odd but it'll grow on me.

Jangmo-o - Cute little thing, ain't it? I'm getting pseudo-legendary vibes already, and from its description on the website I'm hoping it'll be our first Dragon/Fighting Pokemon.

Alolan Raticate - Hey buddy, Raichu called. It wants its pancakes back.

Aether Foundation - Totally not the bad guys. Also, Wicke is Thicke. New waifu.

UB-01 - Honestly, I'm not even sure about this one. Let's wait and see what GF has in store for it.

So it turns out that mysterious green sparkle we saw in trailers all the way back in May/June were Cells after all. Knew it as wise to watch the anime now and again!

Type: Null wants to be an anime title. Keep trying buddy. Always loved Chimeras, and am interested to see how they were created. I see a bit of Gyarados and Zygarde in there, with the stance of a herdier... how curious.

Alolan Raticate is Jontron + Ratatouille and no one can tell me otherwise

Jangmo-o is a smol dragon, but ore importantly, it's a quadreped! Could it be possible we will get our first Feral like pseudo legenderary? Also, while i'm pretty sure everyone is already eager about bulletproof being the popular choice, I just want to point out Soundproof gives it immunity to Sylveon's Hyper voice and Echoed Voice attacks. Food for thought

Poke Finder will be a cute distraction from time to time. Even comes packed in with emoticons in the comments, beautiful.

Day and night difference waas leaked but still amazing nonetheless. Got to pity those Moon player though... hope you all like Zubats.

Aether foundation is so secret villains it hurts. You can already hear Blumenkranz playing the second Lusamine came into view. That and Faba is doing a Master Xehanort pose. never a good sign.

In addition, looks like Gladdion is a Plant from the Aether foundation (Like dude...I see your hair) I wonder if Aether is responible for the creation of pokemon such as Type: Null as well...

Might be noteworthy that blondes 1, 2 and 3 all appear to have green eyes. The resemblances just don't stop, folks.

You can kinda hash out a plot already. It's not at all difficult given how the plots tend to go in the main series games.

Team Skull is a bunch of ne'erdowells who don't achieve much.
Aether hosts a benign "collection" agency for hurt pokemon, while also conducting nebulous "research" for the benefit of [pokemon/mankind/the environment]. Control passes via family lines, likely the 3 obvious blonde characters and maybe Faba.
Aether has secret goal, probably "stop horrible event happening" which they somehow found out about, likely involving legends.
Research into methods of stopping horrible event lead to true purpose of Aether; collecting weak Pokemon and doing research into some Pokemon-related weapon (as seen in pretty much every game so far) in order to stop [bad event], probably related to [mega evolution energy, Z-move energy, synchronicity, plot device number 4, legend stuff. whatever].
Accidental discovery leads to futher progress, but requires some human aspect. Aether uses family as volunteers, then creates UBeasts as powerful [backups, methods of achieving primary goal, side effects of primary research]; UBeasts imprint/are part of/are made of primary family members.
Youngest member Gladisomething dislikes the family atmosphere or treatment of [pokemon/sibling/self] and runs away, stealing a project for companionship. Joins Skull to "rebel" against family image.
Aether don't care too much about Skull getting access to the project (null) because UBeasts are proving to be more refined, and increased Skull activity increases the number of hurt pokemon therefore research opportunities, or because null can be copied/recalled.
Plot happens.
Aether realises they have bitten off more than they can chew, Hero Character steps in and discovers one or more of the family members has a secret goal wherein they don't care about [terrible event] and are in it for the money, power, or stupidly evil goal. Hero proves Aether was wrong about their methodology all along, true villain(s) are outed, Team Skull is mollified and redeemed somehow, younger siblings reunite, something something Zygarde, Aether foundation continues under the naive but entirely innocent watch of clearly non-related Aether character with the dark hair, happy days are here again, credits roll, etcetera,,,
End scene,
Postgame plot.

The specifics can change, but this is Pokemon plot writing 101 in a nutshell.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
While evidence of something like a survival instinct can be observed in UB-01, no one knows whether it has a will of its own or any emotions. It’s said that, for some reason, its movements resemble those of a young girl.
Yep, Lillie confirmed

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I will make a very radical prediction:

Lusamine and Plumeria are actually warped universe versions of each other. They both have that "mother" vibe going for them, wild hair, etc.

Oh, and encountering the Mega Jellicent UB-01 at the Aether Foundation? The Aether Foundation employing several scientists? It has "grunts"?
None of that is suspicious. Ignore it. /

I guarantee you not less than one of their admins is nefariously using the rest of them to achieve something, possibly in cahoots with Guzma, possibly USING Guzma under the former pretense. I'd bet Faba, but maybe Wicke (who has my favorite design) will be the one. That'd be both unfortunate and awesome.

Other thoughts:

They are pushing genetic modification / engineering VERY hard this gen. Type: Null is a literal chimera with a name to match.

Gladion apparently is a huge DBZ fan. He wants to join the Ginyu Force.

Faticate is fat.

Love the new Dragon dino. Great abilities too.

It is entirely possible that like "Shadow Pokemon" in Colleseum and XD: Gale of Darkness that UB-01 is just a temporary state that isn't able to be traded or battled online until "purified" to its actual form.

I bet Aether end up being the bad guys, trying to make something "good" by using the Ultrabeasts, and you need to team up with team Skull to stop them or something

I mean, they have their own generic grunts... HOW ARE THEY NOT EVIL!!
It would be interesting. And I know some people brought this up already, but here is some photo comparison between UB:01 and Lillie

The question is, is UB copying Lillie, or is Lillie UB? Its interesting in the japanese trailer Lillie is not there when the Beast appears.

So it turns out that mysterious green sparkle we saw in trailers all the way back in May/June were Cells after all. Knew it as wise to watch the anime now and again!

Type: Null wants to be an anime title. Keep trying buddy. Always loved Chimeras, and am interested to see how they were created. I see a bit of Gyarados and Zygarde in there, with the stance of a herdier... how curious.

Alolan Raticate is Jontron + Ratatouille and no one can tell me otherwise

Jangmo-o is a smol dragon, but ore importantly, it's a quadreped! Could it be possible we will get our first Feral like pseudo legenderary?

Poke Finder will be a cute distraction from time to time. Even comes packed in with emoticons in the comments, beautiful.

Day and night difference waas leaked but still amazing nonetheless. Got to pity those Moon player though... hope you all like Zubats.

Aether foundation is so secret villains it hurts. You can already hear Blumenkranz playing the second Lusamine came into view. That and Faba is doing a Master Xehanort pose. never a good sign.

In addition, looks like Gladdion is a Plant from the Aether foundation (Like dude...I see your hair) I wonder if Aether is responible for the creation of pokemon such as Type: Null as well...
If they have a theme that awesome I would love it

Oh yes, team skull are going to end up being goodguys I'm so ready for THIS GAME HAS TOO MUCH COOL STUFF. TYPE NULL, SPACE JELLYFISH, POKEMON SNAP, HNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

Someone in the chat pointed out that that looks a lot like the dimensional portal the Space Center tries to use in Delta Episode.

Well, with the recent trailer, I think we might have a pretty good idea of what the story will be for Sun / Moon.
  • First, we know that the Alola region has a lot of "altered" or artificial Pokemon, including obvious ones like Magearna and Type:Null.
  • Second, it seems like this Aether Foundation wants to create a "paradise" for "poor Pokemon," and the existence of UB01 in their lab heavily suggests that they're doing some sorts of experiments.
  • Third, the trainer that has Type:Null looks awfully like the leader of the Aether Foundation. He could easily be her son, which would draw a connection between the chimera that is Type:Null and the guys in white lab coats.
  • Finally, we know that Zygarde has a role in the story, and remember Zygarde's Pokedex entries?" It's hypothesized that it's monitoring those who destroy the ecosystem from deep in the cave where it lives."
If Zygarde is to appear in the story, then it's because something is harming the ecosystem. This "something" could be the Aether Foundation. With the existence of Type:Null and UB01, it might be that the Aether Foundation is conducting experimentation on Pokemon to make Alola into the Paradise they want. Altering Pokemon could easily trigger Zygarde into action. Also, with Solgaleo's ability being "Full Metal Body," it wouldn't surprise me if Solgaleo and Lunala turn out to be creations or at least related to the goals of the Aether Foundation. Besides, if we take a look at the Aether Foundation "admins," the old guy looks kind of evil or scheming, and the plump lady is named "Wicke" ... obviously not a play on "wicked."

So where does Team Skull fit into this? If the trainer with Type:Null does turn out to be the Aether Foundation leader's son, then I can see two possibilities for Team Skull's true goals:
  • Team Skull's "enforcer," aka the Aether Foundation's possible son, is a runaway and is secretly using Team Skull against the Aether Foundation. They could be stealing Pokemon so that the Aether Foundation can't experiment on them.
  • Team Skull and the Aether Foundation are working together. Team Skull steals Pokemon and sells them to the Aether Foundation, maybe without knowing about any experiments.
As for UB01, as other people have pointed out, Lillie and UB01 look very similar. And Lillie also looks like the daughter of the leader of the Aether Foundation. Another implication of experimentation.

Just some thoughts.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The presence of grunts in the Aether Foundation shows that they will probably be antagonistic at some point.

Evil teams have been criticized heavily by me for being a lazy plotline in storytelling, but gameplay-wise, they serve a very nifty purpose. Being entire teams full of people, they provide opportunity for lots of Pokémon battles at important story moments. Had there been one villain acting alone, you would have only one battle per story moment, but the presence of grunts will boost that number significantly.

In short, gameplay-wise, the grunts of the evil teams are there to give the player something to do. When story moments are set up, a solution is presented in the form of multiple battles. Pokémon is not a game series that lends itself to solving situations by text interaction, filling in forms, or rhythm puzzles, the nature of the games dictate that Pokémon battles is the solution to every problem.

So, the Aether Foundation has grunts. Would it need to have them, strictly speaking? I'm sure the "core members" could take care of all the situations the Foundation is involved with, if the writers so wished. The Kids Grid in Orre had six members, and did fine. The grunts are only present in the game for the player to battle en masse at some point (or points).

Also, if the UB monsters aren't catchable, Game Freak has just set up a perfect opportunity for a certain, beloved someone (something?) to return. MissingNo. has become a part of Pokémon lore by itself, and remembered by many who played RBY twenty years ago. Wouldn't it be great for it to pop by as an Ultimate Beast, fight the player using Water Gun and Sky Attack, ruin the Hall of Fame, leave a mess of Master Balls behind, and then leave?

Also, if the UB monsters aren't catchable, Game Freak has just set up a perfect opportunity for a certain, beloved someone (something?) to return. MissingNo. has become a part of Pokémon lore by itself, and remembered by many who played RBY twenty years ago. Wouldn't it be great for it to pop by as an Ultimate Beast, fight the player using Water Gun and Sky Attack, ruin the Hall of Fame, leave a mess of Master Balls behind, and then leave?
Or a Charizard 'M turning your Pokemon into other Charizard 'M. Or into exploding rebellious Bulbasaur if it's not alone.

YES PLEASE! Make it Bird-type.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I tend to play at night before bed and was getting Moon anyway, so I'm cool with the time difference.

That and Faba is doing a Master Xehanort pose. never a good sign.
*has flashbacks to Birth by Sleep's exceptionally bad writing*

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Whoo boy! What an update, and nothing like we were expecting! We got thrown a few more curve balls, many which is giving complication to the game's story. But I'm getting ahead of myself, there's a whole lot of news plus 3 videos so let's get to them.

POKEMON:
Alolan Raticate:
So how do you make Alolan Raticate look physically different than normal Raticate? Make it fatter! And that's not me being mean, the site notes it's larger due to a high calorie diet and being lazy. Sounds like, while Alolan Rattata have the nose for fresh food, Alolan Raticate has the taste for it and a top-notch restaurant uses that to make high-class dishes (Ratatouille jokes aside, isn't this similar to Slurpuff?).
Aw, it didn't keep the mustache! Well aside that the other obvious differences between it and normal Raticate is it's fatter, cheeks are puffed out, fur is black/dark gray, only its stomach is differently colored than its entire underside, fur is more messy, two set of whiskers above and below the cheeks, and tail is stouter. Doesn't look like it can move well but that's the point.
Whatever I said about Alolan's Rattata's battle capabilities also applies here, though I will say it'll probably now have lower Speed (which was Normal Raticate's best stat at 97). Dark gives STAB to the Dark moves that Raticate already learns (and will assumingly keep) with Hustle giving even more Power (and hopefully learning Hone Claws to offset the Accuracy decrease). Gluttony probably won't be used except maybe in gimmick sets, but its better than Run Away.

Jangmo-o:
How are we suppose to pronounce that... well either way, guessing maybe our pseudo Legendary? Well that aside it looks cute, like you fused a dragon and a dog together. I think it might also suppose to have a samurai theme too with the scaly armor and having a pride of a warrior. Since it uses the scales on its head it reminds me a bit of Bagon, though while Bagon was trying to learn how to fly here its just Jangmo-o's way of naturally protecting itself and how it fights.
Looks like a dinosaur (because dinosaurs are dragons), possibly a ankylosaurus with all that plate armor (especially with the one on the end of the tail looking like a club)? Though I'm sure it probably has mythological roots as well. Like I said, looks like a dragon fused with a dog, I wouldn't mind having one as a companion.
The stats of the day looks to be defense. Dragon alone is a good defensive type (and judging by that color scheme and its design I'm guessing Steel-type might not be too far behind for its evolutions), and its Abilities both block a certain kind of move. Bulletproof will probably more the more useful, blocks more and if its evolutions gain a Steel-typing it'll resist a lot of sound Moves anyway.

Type: Null:

No, seriously, what am I looking at. Who's nightmare or bad acid trip did this come from? It has a helmet that looks like a gladiators (fitting to who we see use it) but it has an axe attached to the top, it has a metallic looking mane, front legs of a bird, hind legs of a dog, and just for fun let's slap a fish tail. It's apparently made up from pieces of Pokemon though, unlike Kimeramon for Digimon, the parts don't match any other Pokemon.
So this thing is artificial (or rather synthetic), made to serve a function an match the power of mythological Pokemon. So is this thing suppose to be as powerful as a Legendary? Well I guess if you're going to create a Pokemon you might as well go all the way. But who made it? Team Skull? Team Skull, a group who looks like a street gang, have the resources to make their own Pokemon? I smell something fishy, and it's not the fish tail. And hint to the creators: Don't name your creation after a word meaning nothing. When it turns on you it will take what you name it into account how bad it should wreck you. Porygon got an original name and its happy. Mewtwo's name emphasizes its a clone and it's not happy... and blew up its creators.
Normal-type for the Pokemon named nothing, made sense though looks like it should at least be part Steel. Battle Armor is I guess an alright Ability, though considering it was made to ADAPT to any situation you'd think it could have been given ADAPTability (it would at least explain why it has a fish tail, for some reason most Adaptability Pokemon are Water-type). The heavy helmet gives it low Speed but I guess increased Defense and Attack.

Next Time: Videos (+ Remaining News)

That seems to be the case. So that means its the same universe as XY, so Mega Evo's should exist in this world.

I think we may not get any new megas, but the old ones will return at least
HAHAHAHA!! I KNEW IT!! TAKE THAT EVERYONE THAT THOUGHT THAT THEY WEREN'T COMING BACK!!
Interestingly: this still doesn't guarentee it. Alola is far away from Kalos (and probably Hoenn) and could be a region that lacks Mega Stones. This does make it far more likely though and can give them an excuse to not bring back certain Megas. It also does make my theory on Zygarde being Post-Game stuff seem even more likely, probably it made its way over after the events of the game and Sycamore sent them after it. (I can just imagine Dexio and Sina's reaction to being assigned to go. "BEACH DISGUISES!!!")

Aether Foundation is either bad and is using Team Skull as a distraction to hide their true goals (imo: most likely without Skull knowing)

Ultra Beasts being a major threat, and it doesn't seem like they are genetically modified, huh? I would say the story's getting too complex... But i think i can figure out what it could be: You start the trials out, Team Skull try to ruin them. Then Guzma finds and awakens one or more Ultra Beast and is excited cus distruction. You have to find out how to awaken Solgaleo/Lunara to save the day, and around this time you discover that the Aether Foundation is basically Lysander + N, and now you have to stop them. And If Lillie is UB-01 in disguise, she's the only Ultra Beast that doesnt hate humanity.

I was wondering where they pulled the Aether names from. Wicke I figured was just *wick*, associated with a candle and therefore light. Dunno about Lusamine, would have to see the Japanese, but wouldn't be at all suprised if "luz" was a deliberate part of the name. Gladion... haven't a clue either. Google suggests he is an otaku. Gladius is a sword? Which would explain his eagerness to battle? But it's a bit of a stretch.

Faba, fortunately, is really easy.

A Faba is a type of Green Bean. They did not avoid referencing this in his design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)