Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eevee Z-move (or Cosmic Power, or whatever you boost) + Oranguru Psych Up and Instruct = Win.
And then Harambe football player. Yeah, I'm totally naming one of these monkeys Harambe.

About Eevee's Z-Move, I don't know what will happen in common metagame, but I will bet my pride on all my Pokemon that Eevee Cup with such limited Pokemon option WILL centralise around it. Last Resort set was not really a thing, but it somewhat worked there. Now with this though?

Hold on a second. Screw Eevee. Mega Kangaskan + Instruct = 4 moves of hell
+4 attack boost in one turn? Yep. Use Smeargle for more hilarity with the damned Void.

I'll seriously quit Triples if this happens.

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
I am just curious that they didnt revealed the name of Pikachu's and Eevee's Z stone, i wouldn't have minded..... :x

Moreover, revealing the "rugby monkey"(passimian) , it makes me more confident about the chinease leaks,
And the sudden fear of Extreme Evoboost(ed) stored power, I LIKE IT

Edit:Does Rockruff's evolution have anything to do with Solgaleo/Lunala.Both it's evolution states
"Due to solgaleo/Lunala's influence it evolves into..........:

Reactions: JES
Facade still counts as STAB. So it's 70 * 1.5 = 105. and 210 BP after Hustle, reduce Accuracy to 80%. 420 BP when inflicted with Status. Since it will hit normal all the time, with an already 81 (Not assuming increase in this stat) is not as bad when we think it also gets a STAB for Sucker Punch.
Oh, guess you learn something new everyday.

In the description of the video, it says: 「2017年1月にバージョンアップし、『ポケットモンスター サン・ムーン』に対応する予定です。」 In English, it says there will be a version update in Jan 2017 to make Pokebank compatible with Sun / Moon. The following sentences in the description state that we'll be able to transfer from X/Y, ORAS, and the VC Red/Blue/Yellow games.
Guess I'll be taking a 2 month hiatus then. I need to have a bunch of Pokémon to train, and it will be a hell of a lot more effective and exciting to do so in a new region, rather than in the post-game. My hatchlings aren't gonna train themselves after all. That also gives me two extra months to soft reset for all the legendaries, and I've been very slow on that. I am way too addicted to DeviantArt and Pokémon Showdown!

That, or the extremely unlikely case that another game is leaked in the mean time, in which case, I'll wait to train them in that.

Last edited:
Eevee doesnt even need to pass it. it has quick attack, morning sun, heal bell, last resort, stored power, calm mind, hyper voice and shadow ball. I can see severall variants being viable.

The downside is that once it uses the z move it wont be able to switch out so you have to find the correct moment.

Version exclusive evolutions/formes are a terribly annoying idea that I had hoped they did away with after Deoxys' introduction (not that it even mattered then). They couldn't have just made Rockruff's evolutions time dependent? How do they plan on incorporating Lycanroc in future gens? I'm also low key annoyed that I want Moon but Midnight form is kinda ugly with those spaghetti arms.

Everything else is cool.

Turn 1
Salamence mega-evolves
Salamence uses Dragon Dance

Oricorio's Dancer!
Oricorio uses Dragon Dance

Oricorio uses <move> of choice

Oranguru uses Instruct

Salamence uses Dragon Dance

Oricorio's Dancer!
Oricorio uses Dragon Dance

Crazy! These Pokemon are like hackers.

Anyway, happy for the new info.
Not sure why Lycanroc night form seems to have been neglected. Accelerock > Counter and Sand Rush > Vital Spirit.
However, I don't think they have the same stats as the desc. seems to suggest that day form is fast and dodges while night form likes taking hits.
If they're not trolling, then night form is more defensive which would explain why they chose to give it Counter.
Sadly, there's no shortage of slow "defensive" Rock types while Rock remains a bad defensive typing so I'm afraid night form may be the read-headed step-child.
Hopefully it's not TOO slow (even if slower than day form ) and gets some interesting Dark type moves (even with out STAB).
Payback would fit, Sucker Punch would be welcome priority, Taunt is always nice on faster defensive Pokemon, and another Parting Shot user would be interesting.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Not only is it not playing Rugby, it's also not a monkey. It's a lemur .

I'm noticing people don't really know the difference between primates and just call the all monkeys.
Apparently the official Chinese name says it's a monkey , and Junichi Masuda is DIRECTLY involved in the Chinese names.
So basically. It is a monkey no matter how much it looks like a lemur.

EDIT: The Japanese name also says it's a monkey. So ... checkmate for you.

Last edited:
New info, which means opinion dump time!

Passimian and Receiver

While my primate of choice is and will always be Infernape, I do like this guy's design. The flavour text repeatedly mentions that they throw Berries to attack - I think it's really cool that we have another Pokemon that uses weapons. It also makes me think that when we catch them in the wild, they'll be holding a Berry of some sort.

This is going to be fun in VGC. One thing I'm interested in right of the bat is copying Shadow Tag - if this thing has a good support movepool, it could become absolutely deadly on Perish Trap teams. (Of course, if they're removing Megas, the loss of Mega Gengar would more than balance out this buff.)

Beyond that, though, here's a list of abilities that I think Passimian would want to copy:

-Intimidate: Lead Staraptor + Passimian, Final Gambit something, and then Receive Intimidate to get another one off. (Alternatively: Explosion Landorus-T)
-Huge Power: Sweep with Azumarill or Mawile, and then when it's about to faint, switch its partner into Passimian and copy it.
-Parental Bond: See above.
-Really, any ability that sweepers use (Sand Rush, Sheer Force, etc.) would be good - once the sweper goes down, Passimian can continue its legacy.
-Drizzle/Drought/Sand Stream/Snow Warning/Electric Surge: Reset the weather/terrain? Yes please!
-Innards Out: Pyukumuku just went down, taking down something with it? Let's do that twice!
-Moody: No explanation needed, really. Our only hope is that GF nerfs it.
-Wonder Guard: Now, Wonder Guard can't be Traced as far as I'm aware, so I'd be surpised if it can be Received, but it could, hilariously, make Final Gambit Shedinja viable.

Oranguru and Instruct

The "sage" counterpart to the warrior Passimian, they definitely nailed giving Oranguru a design that suggests wisdom, with the star on its forehead and the more elderly design. The flavour text says that it can use items that are normally only used by humans; while it's a long shot, I wonder if this means giving it a Full Restore will let it heal itself. Granted, that would be pretty broken, but it would still make sense, right?

Now, on to Instruct. Oh my Arceus.

Not content with turning the main story on its head, GF is just adding so many fun things to VGC 2017. Instruct is literally Helping Hand 2.0. Let's look at some of its uses, shall we?

-Spread move users are obvious. Things like Mega Gardevoir and Charizard already 2HKO virtually everything; with Instruct they get to hit twice in one turn.
-If you thought Rock Slide was annoying, now it has a 51% chance to flinch! (GF please remove the Flinch chance)
-Mega Kangaskhan attacked 4 times! Good luck surviving that. (And Bite gives it a 76% chance to Flinch.)
-Anything with a boosting move can become terrifying in one turn. +2/+2 from Dragon Dance, +2/+2/+2 from Quiver Dance, and +4/+4/+4 from Shell Smash stand out. Actually, Volcarona will become terrifying partnered with Oranguru (or Smeargle): Get effectively a Geomancy from Quiver Dance and then sweep with Instruct Heat Wave.
-Cresselia can use Calm Mind twice or heal back to full health in one turn with Moonlight.
-If Instruct is coded to move immediately after its target (unlikely, but not impossible), you could troll Trick Room users by forcing them to reverse it immediately after setting it. Even if it's not, Oranguru doesn't look like the fastest mon around.
-This is stretching it a bit, but if a Pokemon U-Turns out into something else that knows U-Turn, and then that Pokemon is Instructed, could they U-Turn out again? Think of the shenanigans you could pull!

Extreme Evoboost (Slogan: "And you thought Xerneas was nuts!")

First of all, let's get something out of the way: The animation is absolutely adorable. Got that? Good. Moving on.

I really like Extreme Evoboost, since it shows that we could potentially have other Z-Moves that don't deal damage. But good lord Arceus, getting to +2 in every stat is insane, even for an Eevee. After the boost, Eevee's base stats effectively become 55/128/118/108/148/128 assuming 31 IVs and no EVs. But to really get a feel for the power, we need to turn to the calcs.

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 376-444 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 298-352 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 234-276 (69.4 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Eevee Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie: 216-255 (89.6 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 340-402 (113.7 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 196-232 (64.6 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Eevee Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 261-308 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 380-448 (117.6 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 378-446 (126.4 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 334-394 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 228-270 (57.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And yes, everything on this list is outsped at +2.

Well, at least it's just an Eevee, right? I mean, even +2/+2/+2/+2/+2 can only go so far on a Pokemon with 325 BST- wait, Eevee gets Baton Pass.

Welp, RIP LC. Also, I am strangely motivated to make a team with this and a Psych Up user for VGC 2017.

All in all, with the wolves and now the monkeys, this may be the first time I get both versions.

EDIT: Fixed a bunch of typos.

Last edited:
Apparently the official Chinese name says it's a monkey , and Junichi Masuda is DIRECTLY involved in the Chinese names.

It's Passimian. Why people would argue its anything but a monkey doesn't know their monkey names. (Hi Simisear, Simisage, Simipour)

So what? There have been cases like Flygon, whose name is a blatant pun on "dragonfly" even though Trapinch hints the entire line is based on the very similar-looking antlions.

Wouldn't be the first time they could use the wrong species name for the sake of a pun.

I like the two new mons but delaying bank until Jan is just going to make to play OR/AS longer. I will most likely just clear the E4 and capture all the new guys so that once transferring is done I can just fill in the dex and get to work breeding new mons at that point. I guess it means I got 2 extra months to finish off my breed projects that want tutor moves.....Really disappointed at this. Also, screw Eevee the special snowflake ^^. I expected Pika to get a Z-move for itself but we really don't need to be giving them out to NFE mons. Don't need to encourage shitty eeveelution teams anymore.

New info, which means opinion dump time!

Passimian and Receiver

While my primate of choice is and will always be Infernape, I do like this guy's design. The flavour text repeatedly mentions that they throw Berries to attack - I think it's really cool that we have another Pokemon that uses weapons. It also makes me think that when we catch them in the wild, they'll be holding a Berry of some sort.

This is going to be fun in VGC. One thing I'm interested in right of the bat is copying Shadow Tag - if this thing has good support movepool, it could become absolutely deadly on Perish Trap teams. (Of course, if they're removing Megas, the loss of Mega Gengar would more than balance out this buff.)

Beyond that, though, here's a list of abilities that I think Passimian would want to copy:

-Intimidate: Lead Staraptor + Passimian, Final Gambit something, and then Receive Intimidate to get another one off. (Alternatively: Explosion Landorus-T)
-Huge Power: Sweep with Azumarill or Mawile, and then when it's about to faint, switch its partner into Passimian and copy it.
-Parental Bond: See above.
-Really, any ability that sweepers use (Sand Rush, Sheer Force, etc.) would be good - once the sweper goes down, Passimian can continue its legacy.
-Drizzle/Drought/Sand Stream/Snow Warning/Electric Surge: Reset the weather/terrain? Yes please!
-Innards Out: Pyukumuku just went down, taking down something with it? Let's do that twice!
-Moody: No explanation needed, really. Our only hope is that GF nerfs it.
-Wonder Guard: Now, Wonder Guard can't be Traced as far as I'm aware, so I'd besurpised if it can be Received, but it could, hilariously, make Final Gambit Shedinja viable.

Oranguru and Instruct

The "sage" counterpart to the warrior Passimian, they definitely nailed giving Oranguru a design that suggests wisdom, with the star on its forehead and the more elderly design. The flavour text says that it can use items that are normally only used by humans; while it's a long shot, I wonder if this means giving it a Full Restore will let it heal itself. Granted, that would be pretty broken, but it would still make sense, right?

Now, on to Instruct. Oh my Arceus.

Not content with turning the main story n its head, GF is just adding so many fun things to VGC 2017. Instruct is literally Helping Hand 2.0. Let's look at some of its uses, shall we?

-Spread move users are obvious. Things like Mega Gardevoir and Charizard already 2HKO virtually everything; with Instruct they get to hit twice in one turn.
-If you thought Rock Slide was annoying, now it has a 51% chance to flinch! (GF please remove the Flinch chance)
-Mega Kangaskhan attacked 4 times! Good luck surviving that. (And Bite gives it a 76% chance to Flinch.)
-Anything with a boosting move can become terrifying in one turn. +2/+2 from Dragon Dance, +2/+2/+2 from Quiver Dance, and +4/+4/+4 from Shell Smash stand out. Actually, Volcarona will become terrifying partnered with Oranguru (or Smeargle): Get effectively a Geomancy from Quiver Dance and then sweep with Instruct Heat Wave.
-Cresselia can use Calm Mind twice or heal back to full health in one turn with Moonlight.
-If Instruct is coded to move immediately after its target (unlikely, but not impossible), you could troll Trick Room users by forcing them to reverse it immediately after setting it. Even if it's not, Oranguru doesn't look like the fastest mon around.
-This is stretching it a bit, but if a Pokemon U-Turns out into something else that knows U-Turn, and then that Pokemon is Instructed, could they U-Turn out again? Think of the shenanigans you could pull!

Extreme Evoboost (Slogan: "And you thought Xerneas was nuts!")

First of all, let's get something out of the way: The animation is absolutely adorable. Got that? Good. Moving on.

I really like Extreme Evoboost, since it shows that we could potentially have other Z-Moves that don't deal damage. But good lord Arceus, getting to +2 in every stat is insane, even for an Eevee. After the boost, Eevee's base stats effectively become 55/128/118/108/148/128 assuming 31 IVs and no EVs. But to really get a feel for the power, we need to turn to the calcs.

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 376-444 (53.4 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 298-352 (75.6 - 89.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 234-276 (69.4 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Eevee Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie: 216-255 (89.6 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 340-402 (113.7 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 196-232 (64.6 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ SpA Eevee Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 261-308 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 380-448 (117.6 - 138.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 378-446 (126.4 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 334-394 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Eevee Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 228-270 (57.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And yes, everything on this list is outsped at +2.

Well, at least it's just an Eevee, right? I mean, even +2 in every stat can only go so far on a Pokemon with 325 BST- wait, Eevee gets Baton Pass.

Welp, RIP LC. Also, I am strangely motivated to make a team with this and a Psych Up user for VGC 2017.

All in all, with the wolves and now the monkeys, this may be the first time I get both versions.[/hide]
Yeah everything mentioned other then the pikachu exclusive Z move can be quite viable. Wonder guard can be traced actually, so Receiver should be able to copy it.

The sage monkey and that 1 move is going to be quite nuts I think. Just the potential for so much extra damage or boosting in 1 turn is insane.

Thanks for all those numbers for Eevee. I am so going to use one on one of my teams. Not sure to go for a physical or Special Eevee though. Adaptability Returns sound very nice, but that insane damage from stored power... plus Hyper voice would get around subsitutes, and get Shadow ball for the third move and you should have very good neutral coverage. Then have Baton pass as a last move when you need to switch out. Do you mind checking how much damage Eevee is going to be able to take after this boosts? Like will it be able to survive that 1 turn?[/hide]

Do you mind checking how much damage Eevee is going to be able to take after this boosts? Like will it be able to survive that 1 turn?
Here you have two reference points for very powerful hits:

252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 4 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 204-240 (80.9 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Eevee: 199-234 (78.9 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure why people are hyping Eevee when about the only scary thing it gets out of Extreme Evoboost is 220BP Stored Power - and I guess Baton Pass, but I imagine the move's infinitely many rule-based nerfs will transfer through to Gen 7.

We're talking a meta where Pinsir has +2 Aerialate Quick Attacks, which are even more powerful that +2 Eevee QA's. Even at +2 Defenses Eevee just isn't a tank. It just isn't. It's not like you're getting Eviolite Boost with it, your Z-Crystal takes up your item slot.

Now, that Z-Crystal will probably get instabanned from LC, but Eevee isn't going to be tearing up any tier higher than RU. Geomancy works for Xerneas because it's already got godly stats. Extreme Evoboost places Eevee in the mediocre category at best.

That said I do think the move itself and the premise is cool, I just don't think people should be losing their shirts over Eevee.

Looks like I lost my dual typing bet on Lycanroc. The day forme looks like it will be great competitively. Night Forme really depends on if it gets Accelerock too.

Love Oranguru. Great concept.

Passimian has a lot of potential in doubles, but the fact it doesn't even seem to have a secondary ability means that unless Reciever also steals an opponent's ability upon fainting, it will be unseen in Singles.

Overall still loving a lot of this.

Here you have two reference points for very powerful hits:

252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. +2 4 HP / 0 Def Eevee: 204-240 (80.9 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. +2 4 HP / 0 SpD Eevee: 199-234 (78.9 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dear lord she can survive a Life Orb Draco Meteor, and then OHKO in responce, and Baton pass out afterwards. this is really scary but awesome.

I am so torn on going physical or Special attacker on her. That Return is really powerful, but having an incredibly strong stored power and shadow ball sounds great too. Do we lose much power with Adapting Hyper voice?

Not sure why people are hyping Eevee when about the only scary thing it gets out of Extreme Evoboost is 220BP Stored Power - and I guess Baton Pass, but I imagine the move's infinitely many rule-based nerfs will transfer through to Gen 7.

We're talking a meta where Pinsir has +2 Aerialate Quick Attacks, which are even more powerful that +2 Eevee QA's. Even at +2 Defenses Eevee just isn't a tank. It just isn't. It's not like you're getting Eviolite Boost with it, your Z-Crystal takes up your item slot.

Now, that Z-Crystal will probably get instabanned from LC, but Eevee isn't going to be tearing up any tier higher than RU. Geomancy works for Xerneas because it's already got godly stats. Extreme Evoboost places Eevee in the mediocre category at best.

That said I do think the move itself and the premise is cool, I just don't think people should be losing their shirts over Eevee.

Looks like I lost my dual typing bet on Lycanroc. The day forme looks like it will be great competitively. Night Forme really depends on if it gets Accelerock too.

Love Oranguru. Great concept.

Passimian has a lot of potential in doubles, but the fact it doesn't even seem to have a secondary ability means that unless Reciever also steals an opponent's ability upon fainting, it will be unseen in Singles.

Overall still loving a lot of this.
True, but I think its really cool to see a little pokemon like this doing massive damage. Plus it has adaptability, Adaptability return/hyper voice? And Baton passing that to a power house would be great too.

Its not OU, but it is fun to use pokemon like this in teams

Sure, but other metas could very well tremble.

On Battle Spot, something as simple as Moody Smeargle, Extreme Evoboost Eevee and a Baton Pass reciever can cause absolute havoc, as long as Smeargle works, of course. But then again... Battle Spot is not a shining example of a balanced meta, but it exists anyways.

No matter how hard I try, I can't pronounce Passimian's name correctly. I know it's "Pass-im-ee-an" but I keep reading "Passy Man".

I think the Pokemon Bank stuff is pretty interesting. The plus mark is now 100% confirmed to be a Kalos-Native esc marker for Alola native Pokemon. Still holding out hope that we can get an "Honorary Alolan Native" marker on our Pokemon that have moves they could normally obtain in Alola, but I doubt it.

I actually really like the idea of these markers rotating out Pokemon that have reached difficult to impossible levels of obtainability (XD exclusives, 3rd Gen events). It's a nice parallel to the Pokemon TCG where very old cards are rotated out so newer players don't need to go and buy one particular super amazing card from a set back in 2003 or something. I just wish that old Pokemon that still fit the rules were still allowed. Incidentally this is also something the TCG does as well. I have my switches from Base Set, so I don't really need to get the ones from Roaring Skies. Similarly, I've got a perfectly good Gen 5 Garchomp with Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Protect. I'd prefer if I didn't have to breed it for a 3rd time if I want to compete in 2017 events!

I wonder if the pentagon will still exist.

Also the Bank page confirms that we once again won't be able to transfer items across gens. Could they stop that. It made sense from 4-5 because of TMs and it maybe made sense from 5-6 if they really didn't want gems to be a thing, but I can't see what they'd really want to get rid of this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)