Serious Immortality/Indefinite Life Extension

I wanted to ask people around my age if they want to live indefinitely. I personally plan on living forever. You may dismiss this as some science fiction thing but technological growth is accelerating at a exponential rate and the singularity is predicted around 2045. Being born on 1992.6.8, I am only 24 years, 129 days old as of 2016.10.15 and I feel like I have a great chance at being alive and well when we have advanced nanobots and other things that will allow us to be biologically immortal. A person could still die in a car accident but we are working on that with self driving cars. I am a little skeptical about mind uploading because I wouldn't consider have a back up copy of yourself really your conscious self. I like the idea that our brains and bodies will be increasingly non-biological, and may be able to gradually replace your brain with a supercomputer type of thing. Okay say I am a being a bit optimistic and these technologies are more like 100 years away I have a back up plan. Right now the longevity records among verified ages for humans are 122 years, 164 days for woman and 116 years, 54 days for men. There are plenty of claims that go beyond those ages but they don't have the proof, I do think that that they have been older people out there but back in the 1800s many countries did not have very good record-keeping. The oldest living woman is turning 117 this year and the oldest man just turned 113. My plan is to live as long as possible so I will get to that point where we will have capabilities in order to live forever. Okay say its even farther away like past 2114, there are cryonics where I will be preserved until they can bring me back. Nature has already appeared to create some organisms that live for hundred of years, even some that are biologically immortal. Most of the immortal organisms are pretty simple think like jellyfish or hydra. I am not worried about existential risk of the human race because by the time of heat death of the universe we will have godlike powers be able to prevent it or create a new universe. There is a very good chance that between then and now will face scenarios that will threaten our existence, they are lot of possible things out there that could challenge us. I have to admit that we don't know the ultimate fate of the universe and at this point in time we are in the earliest stages of our development. We aren't even a type 1 civilization and that's probably at least a century away. I am huge follower of Ray Kurzweil and many of his predictions have turned out to be right.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't believe that we will ever reach a point where we are able to become immortal without the use of something similar to androids due to a number of quirks regarding chromosomes and age that I'm not quite sure of the details for that basically mean that at some point death becomes imminent due to the inability to reproduce functional body cells. That said, I wouldn't particularly want to be immortal if I'm honest. The thought of eternally losing loved ones or maybe even just the thought of getting bored of life are both very real concepts, and genuinely I think that at some point something's gotta give and that living forever will just make you go insane.

Also if we wanna talk about things that could threaten our existence I'm pretty sure that the biggest threat to humanity is itself (well, that and bees dying out).

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Technology is finite, as is most of what man touches. Immortality is a pipe dream that really doesn't seem worth it. Living forever would invalidate meaning. It's a truly grotesque display of humanities arrogance. The desire to live forever is short sighted and extremely dangerous.
It is clearly based upon greed and an innate superiority complex found within people. I welcome death like an old friend because it's part of life!

Once you are incapable of dying, so too shall you be incapable of living! Be careful what you wish for, because it might come true.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Well... if you have a lot of money then you might as well try...
But I won't. I'd rather die young than to grow old. Imagine being useless and forget who you are, and nobody looks after you.
Even if you have a lot of money, when you get old, people might just somehow cheat/ steal/ or anything to get all your money.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
IDK if this is the right place or whatever, but I always get this weird feeling when I think about what will happen after death. Like, it is weird to think about the concept of consciousness and what happens to it when you die. Does it just turn off, do you know you're dead, does it shift onto another person without the associated memories? Like, it is one of those concepts which is pretty much impossible to imagine because it is something that you can't experience until it's too late. What is nothingness? In the context of physics this is a fascinating question, but as soon as you try and apply it to conscience it just becomes weird and uncomfortable to think about.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If immortality takes the form of preventing aging or undoing its effects, without rendering you impervious to harm, then there is basically no downside on an individual level. I'd take it any day of the week if it was just for me. Not sure if I'd want to live in a world where it exists though, especially not if it's an expensive procedure.

fx

moon tourism
Imagine being useless and forget who you are, and nobody looks after you.
This statement pretty much sums up my thoughts. I have no desire to live an immortal life being weak and feeble due to age. I like being young and being able to do normal things without physical repercussions. Now, if there was a thing that stopped me from aging at a young age, then sign me up.

I don't believe that we will ever reach a point where we are able to become immortal without the use of something similar to androids due to a number of quirks regarding chromosomes and age that I'm not quite sure of the details for that basically mean that at some point death becomes imminent due to the inability to reproduce functional body cells. That said, I wouldn't particularly want to be immortal if I'm honest. The thought of eternally losing loved ones or maybe even just the thought of getting bored of life are both very real concepts, and genuinely I think that at some point something's gotta give and that living forever will just make you go insane.

Also if we wanna talk about things that could threaten our existence I'm pretty sure that the biggest threat to humanity is itself (well, that and bees dying out).
Eternal life would be far from boring, and if they didn't want to your loved one would have the option to live indefinitely, along with eternal life there would be life expansion and there would be so many things to occupy your time. Death will not be imminent as technology will be able to surmount the processes of aging and disease.

Well... if you have a lot of money then you might as well try...
But I won't. I'd rather die young than to grow old. Imagine being useless and forget who you are, and nobody looks after you. ).
You aren't doomed to getting Dementia and Alzheimer's Disease even well past 100. One of the oldest people in the world passed at 115 and her brain was autopsied and found no traces of those kinds of issues. There are people who even live past that up to age 122 who are described to be mentally sharp until the end. Additionally just this year a new compound was tested in early stage dementia/Alzheimer's disease with remarkable success.

IDK if this is the right place or whatever, but I always get this weird feeling when I think about what will happen after death. Like, it is weird to think about the concept of consciousness and what happens to it when you die. Does it just turn off, do you know you're dead, does it shift onto another person without the associated memories? Like, it is one of those concepts which is pretty much impossible to imagine because it is something that you can't experience until it's too late. What is nothingness? In the context of physics this is a fascinating question, but as soon as you try and apply it to conscience it just becomes weird and uncomfortable to think about
No really knows what happens when a person passes away and if you go into a afterlife or something else. We make get more insight of this once we start bringing people back from being cryopreserved. My hypothesis is that your conscious gets destroyed or disappears so you wont know your deceased and everything in your body is shutdown. What fascinates is how long it will take for us to fully understand consciousness and how long it will take to bring back people who even have passed away that aren't cryopreserved? Can we transfer our consciousness to another brain/computer?

This statement pretty much sums up my thoughts. I have no desire to live an immortal life being weak and feeble due to age. I like being young and being able to do normal things without physical repercussions. Now, if there was a thing that stopped me from aging at a young age, then sign me up.
Exactly that is what I am talking about, I am not proposing that we live forever and as time passes we get more and more frail and eventually turn into a vegetable. We will have the technology for age reversal its just a matter of time. Once we do start living forever we have a lot of questions in society that we have to figure out such punishment for crime. Being sentenced to 100 years in prison wouldn't be a death sentence unless they restricted the life extension technology

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Without some kind of nonbiological apparatus in which to store your memory, doesn't seem feasible. It's a natural process for biological matter to decay. So, if you want to live forever then get ready to be a ghost in a shell. I don't see technology ever overcoming nature in that way. Hope you have some actual people around too, so they can change your battery.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Technology to turn off aging is so incredibly viable that it could happen in our lifetimes. It's not a question at all of living forever and being old.

Then we'll have to cure cancer cause that's what will kill almost everyone, but for a first step I look forward to immortality.

nah, people need to die naturally. having a gigiantic surplus of old people around is way too expensive and resource taxing. people already, on average, live longer than people centuries ago, at least in developed countries.

e: even if reversing aging worked, there's still too many people. besides, why not just have babies? who's so important that they need to stay alive forever, costing people tons of money and time in research, when it could be used for things like renewable resources?

Last edited:

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
nah, people need to die naturally. having a gigiantic surplus of old people around is way too expensive and resource taxing. people already, on average, live longer than people centuries ago, at least in developed countries.
If we can stop/reverse aging people can just work forever, and laws will quickly catch up to this

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Part of the reason people work to begin with is to silence that little nagging voice that everyone has. It's always there when an accident happens to remind us, that we could have been the one in that accident. We all die and hard as we may try it will never be in our power to live eternally as we would normally. You might get your memories into a machine but machines expire just as bodies. The best I see happening is extending lifespans.

Use some logic, maybe.
Most of government funds go to weapon developments. We are too concerned with space and war to have even explored much of what is under our oceans. There are creatures down there that are closer to eternal beings than humans will ever be. We aren't talking about going to the moon, this just isn't feasible in the way you might think. Besides that, if you truly think that you want to "live" forever then you haven't thought it through much.

Martin

FWIW even if we didn't need to pay for benefits and shit if people didn't die there'd be a big issue in that we would eventually a) run out of space and b) push our planet and it's resources to the absolute limit and eventually surpassing said limit. The earth can barely manage the current number of humans; now imagine if they never died, thus increasing the size of international population growth from an average of +2 every second to an average of +4 every second due to cutting out the second part of the "on average, four are born and two die every second" deal that we have going at the moment. An aging population is bad enough, let alone a permanent one. In order for it to be sustainable it'd eventually require that reproduction is strictly prohibited+enforced, and this would bring a fucktonne of social and ethical issues with it.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Does anyone actually have any reputable scientific sources that support the notion of immortality becoming achievable within this generation? It all sounds like conjecture to me. Especially this part:
I am not worried about existential risk of the human race because by the time of heat death of the universe we will have godlike powers be able to prevent it or create a new universe.

Without some kind of nonbiological apparatus in which to store your memory, doesn't seem feasible. It's a natural process for biological matter to decay. So, if you want to live forever then get ready to be a ghost in a shell. I don't see technology ever overcoming nature in that way. Hope you have some actual people around too, so they can change your battery.
Not all biological organisms decay and have their mortality increase year after year. There are some simple that are effectively immortal such as Turritopsis dohrnii, Hydra, and Bacteria. When talking about more complex living things there still some that can live well over 200 years. Some notable examples are the Bowhead whale (211+), rockfish (205+), Tortoise (255+) and the Greenland Shark (400, possibly even up 512). Trees can live over 5,000 years, sponges and endoliths over 10,000 years. There is a tree colony estimated to be 80,000 years old. Some organisms can be revived after millions and millions of years, take yeast (25 Million years), and bacterial spores (240 Millions years). Humans Life expectancy has been rising and that's a good start but why be limited to a near 70 year lifespan. Human Lifespan varies a lot from around 35-90+ but that's a tiny blip in time. Misao Okawa, who lived to 117 described her life as "short". Our perception of time will greatly shift as the older you get the faster it is perceived to go by.

Technology to turn off aging is so incredibly viable that it could happen in our lifetimes. It's not a question at all of living forever and being old.

Then we'll have to cure cancer cause that's what will kill almost everyone, but for a first step I look forward to immortality.
Cancer is still a major health issue but largely preventable, and it largely due to environment and not bad luck. What makes cancer stand out compared to the rest of the other health challenges we face is that a lot of times it has already spread to multiple places around the body and at that point it is very difficult to stop.

Part of the reason people work to begin with is to silence that little nagging voice that everyone has. It's always there when an accident happens to remind us, that we could have been the one in that accident. We all die and hard as we may try it will never be in our power to live eternally as we would normally. You might get your memories into a machine but machines expire just as bodies. The best I see happening is extending lifespans
Studies have shown that no one wants to die unless they in pain or suffering. I have asked people who are 100 how long they want to live and they say 105. And when they are 105 most of the time they want to live to 110 and so on. We will have more and more power over accidents with self driving cars, etc.

How long does a car last?

Usually about 5-10 years.

You can extend that time indefinitely with maintenance. They are cars over 100 years that run better than they did back when they were new. The main difference between the human body and the car is that we don't completely understand all the inner workings just yet.

FWIW even if we didn't need to pay for benefits and shit if people didn't die there'd be a big issue in that we would eventually a) run out of space and b) push our planet and it's resources to the absolute limit and eventually surpassing said limit. The earth can barely manage the current number of humans; now imagine if they never died, thus increasing the size of international population growth from an average of +2 every second to an average of +4 every second due to cutting out the second part of the "on average, four are born and two die every second" deal that we have going at the moment. An aging population is bad enough, let alone a permanent one. In order for it to be sustainable it'd eventually require that reproduction is strictly prohibited+enforced, and this would bring a fucktonne of social and ethical issues with it.
We still have plenty of room on earth. Future technology with assist greatly with the resources, what comes to mind is that Solar energy will get so mainstream that it will be the primary source or energy and there will be 3d Printers. The birthrate will not see a explosion because woman will be able to get pregnant whenever they want and will able to space their births. We won't have the decline of an aging population because age will be just a number, and as we get older we would be more and more productive with accelerating technology. The people didn't want to live forever would just die out quickly and wouldn't be much of a burden on society.

The space outside the earth is infinite. We wont be stuck on the earth for much longer. I am thinking around 200 years from we will start to have space colonies and keep branching out to the other galaxies and things out there.

Does anyone actually have any reputable scientific sources that support the notion of immortality becoming achievable within this generation? It all sounds like conjecture to me. Especially this part:
Aubrey De Gray who is one of the leading scientists said that first person to reach age 1,000 could already be 60 years old. He also said that we have 50% chance of curing aging by 2036. Ray Kurzweil a prominent futurist and predicts around 2029 that we will being adding more time to our remaining life expectancy than is going by. By the 2030s and 2040s we will have nanobots and a whole host of other emerging technologies that will allow us to life indefinitely.

No one has much of a clue what the universe will be like trillions of years from now but by that time we will probably be capable of limitless

Last edited:
You can extend that time indefinitely with maintenance. They are cars over 100 years that run better than they did back when they were new. The main difference between the human body and the car is that we don't completely understand all the inner workings just yet.
Ah yes, because cars are clearly comparable to humans.

The idea of immortality within this generation seems absurd. Your basically saying that within this generation, we're going to get technology that will make us immortal...yeah, highly improbable and highly impossible. Curing ageing by 2036? lol. Ageing isn't some disease, as people have said, ageing is biological and natural. Other animals have larger lifespans but they are all natural, the human lifespan is also natural. Not to mention even if we made the techology how can we be sure it will work with all the tiny details that are likely to mess up and cause some horrible error. Not to mention all the diseases we won't cure by the time this "technology" rolls around.

The idea of immortality has a whole is interesting, live forever. But other people might nit have access to / want to use such technology, possibly your friends or family, forcing you to watch them die. You'd also be forced to watch humanity eventually kill each other (no way we're all going to agree on anything).

The idea of immortality within this generation seems absurd. Your basically saying that within this generation, we're going to get technology that will make us immortal...yeah, highly improbable and highly impossible. Curing ageing by 2036? lol. Ageing isn't some disease, as people have said, ageing is biological and natural. Other animals have larger lifespans but they are all natural, the human lifespan is also natural. Not to mention even if we made the techology how can we be sure it will work with all the tiny details that are likely to mess up and cause some horrible error. Not to mention all the diseases we won't cure by the time this "technology" rolls around.
This is a fallacy js. Biological and natural are two things that are most definitely true of malaria (for example) but I don't think anyone's going to dispute that it's a disease, and one that we'd be better off without. Furthermore, saying something is natural doesn't mean we can't utilise it, especially since there's no clear distinction between natural and artificial (it's probably better thought of as a spectrum). Saying things are natural often tends to be meaningless.

We already have a pretty good idea of most of the things that cause aging on a cellular level, such as oxidative damage to a cell's components and accumulated errors in DNA, including the shortening of telomeres. If we know the mechanisms by which the process occurs why can't we treat it?

Also I think it's necessary to clarify biological immortality does not mean living forever. You can still die of disease, accidents, whatever, it just means your cells don't age. Also it's not black and white in terms of aging being a thing. Treating aging can mean slowing the aging process so that you live say, a couple hundred years, then as it improves, over 500 years and so on.

Anyhow, obviously the big issue with many people having lifespans significantly extended is overpopulation. Ultimately I think that with a reduced death rate there will also have to be societal/cultural measures to reduce birth rate as well. It's not a question of finding space for us, but of resource use. As countries get more developed, their resource usage skyrockets- electricity, food consumption, water, you name it. There are plenty of solutions to stave off the issues presented by this I imagine, but in the long run I don't think there's any way to get around the fact that there'll be many more people being born than there are dying.

In terms of demographic shifts towards an aging population, I think ultimately societal norms surrounding retirement will shift, pushing it further and further back, or undergoing radical change or disappearing altogether. Either way there will be adaptation such that the picture of a society overburdened by hordes of retirees in need of support doesn't really come to fruition.

Overall I'm optimistic about the possibility of treating aging. I think it's overall a good thing, and that it's more than possible for us to figure out any problems that might be associated with it as we go.

This is a fallacy js. Biological and natural are two things that are most definitely true of malaria (for example) but I don't think anyone's going to dispute that it's a disease, and one that we'd be better off without.
Ageing is a natural process that occurs in everyone. Malaria isn't.

Furthermore, saying something is natural doesn't mean we can't utilise it, especially since there's no clear distinction between natural and artificial (it's probably better thought of as a spectrum). Saying things are natural often tends to be meaningless.
I always assumed the distinction was stuff we built and stuff we didn't. For example, we know how cars work and can make them last longer because we knew how they worked from the start. Perhaps it is meaningless to say things are natural.

We already have a pretty good idea of most of the things that cause aging on a cellular level, such as oxidative damage to a cell's components and accumulated errors in DNA, including the shortening of telomeres. If we know the mechanisms by which the process occurs why can't we treat it?

Also I think it's necessary to clarify biological immortality does not mean living forever. You can still die of disease, accidents, whatever, it just means your cells don't age. Also it's not black and white in terms of aging being a thing. Treating aging can mean slowing the aging process so that you live say, a couple hundred years, then as it improves, over 500 years and so on.
Mabye I'm to used to the idea of immortality being something of science fiction. If humans are around long enough, we probably will come up with a way to stop ageing, but I highly doubt we'll make the progress fast enough in order for it to be within this generation. But I'm not a scientist, what do I know really. When I think about it, we probably can slow ageing, but I don't think we'll ever be able to stop it.

Overall I'm optimistic about the possibility of treating aging. I think it's overall a good thing, and that it's more than possible for us to figure out any problems that might be associated with it as we go.
I hate the "we'll sort it out when we get there" idea. There are so many issues that people just want to solve later, but what if its to late by then?

Ah yes, because cars are clearly comparable to humans.

The idea of immortality has a whole is interesting, live forever. But other people might nit have access to / want to use such technology, possibly your friends or family, forcing you to watch them die. You'd also be forced to watch humanity eventually kill each other (no way we're all going to agree on anything).
You know what else is natural? Disease, starvation, and a whole bunch of other negative things. Do we are humans accept these though? Do we let people be born with preventable genetic diseases? No we don't. We figure out solutions to overcome them. We have eradicated most of the infectious disease in the more developed countries. We transcend our limitations. I am sure back when we sent a person to the moon almost 50 years ago, they were plenty of people who said we were never going to do that.

Back in 1990 we started the human genome project, and after 1% of it was done many people though that would take hundreds of years to complete, but with the exponential growth it took only about 7 years more. There is a immense difference between linear and exponential growth. Starting with 1 after 30 years, you get a value of only 30, but with exponential it is far greater, it is a billion. Technology will be a billion times more powerful 30 years from now. Health information has only been a following this pattern for about 10 years or so with the completion of genome. We already experimenting with telomere lengthening in humans, and a lot of other exciting discoveries.

Disease will also be eradicated with nanobots being able to do work on the cellular level, destroying pathogens and cleaning out arteries. I think a better way of putting it is living indefinitely. Accidents will become a lot more controllable as cars and other things become safer. By the end of the century the main cause of death will be wars, and natural disasters to a much lesser extent.

Yes, let's just assume everything will be alright in the future and all the right circumstances will be in place for us to be able to build Nano Bots and have them be glitch free! Your just assuming Nano Bots will be some cure-all. It won't. How can we guarentee that these Nano-Bots won't mistake one thing for something else, and instead attack us instead of diseases. You can't guarantee glitch free technology.

Reactions: JES
Even if immortality was possible, it would be banned for ethical reasons. If forcing a human zygote to split in order to have twins, or turning skin cells into sperm so homosexual women can have biological babies are banned, immortality doesn't stand a chance.

I want to talk about accepting death for a second. I have a theory that impermanence is what imbues something with value. I value my time spent with my parents because I know they won't be around forever. If I knew they would never die, my time with them would not matter. Think about it: I don't have to worry about making a real connection with them, or probing their memories, because I have an infinite amount of time to do that in the future. So any given amount of time spent with them simply doesn't matter. This is aside from the fact that I would go through every possible conversation about every possible topic and be left with nothing but dull repetition, eventually. Literally anything becomes dull when repeated ad infinitum. Thus, I wouldn't want to live forever, because I think life and everything it has to offer would lose its value if it were not impermanent.

I, personally, greatly anticipate the day my mind is uploaded to a cloud so that I can forever live in the digital world yelling about kids these days and their nanobots and how back in my day we didn't have nanobots.

I think something that has been lost in this conversation is that effective immortality would not preclude death. If you destroy all disease and end aging there are still things that can kill people, car crashes for example. While the prospect of eternal life is one that I find exciting, I expect to be waiting a while for it. While there have been truly great advances in mapping the human genome, we are still a long while off from ending aging and in that time any number of things could happen to me that would result in death. I assume as more advances are made towards slowing the effects of age, people who are smarter than I am will work out issues involving cost and space. I also assume that any technology that does so will begin as expensive and only work its way down to a cheaper cost from them. Granted, I make a lot of assumptions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)