(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I just went through bulbapedia and made a list of signature moves that I didn't know before:
Alakazam line- Kinesis
Hitmonlee- Mega Kick & Rolling Kick
Hitmontop-Triple Kick
Hariyama line- Smelling Salts(didn't know this was a move at all)
Regigias- Crush Grip
Cresselia-Lunar Dance
Now oricorio killing itself with lunar dance would be pretty funny

Manaphy- Heart Swap
Victini-Searing Shot
Audino-Secret Power
Aromatisse- Aromatic Mist
Heliolisk line-Electrify
Klefki-Fairy Lock
Ditto-Transform
Darkrai- Dark Void

Wow, so many concepts that are cool. I didnt expect these many obscure moves.

Dude Gyarados got Crunch, and honestly mega Gyarados rocks that move so hard it is ridiculous.

No need for an -ate ability on Gyarados with just a good movepool update.

I beg to differ on adaptability Gardevoir and 100 flying special snowflake pinsir move. Base pinsir is actually an interesting pokemon that can learn SD and after stab being factored this guy has always 100-120 BP moves with a decent speed tier and defense stats. Why would you give him more and clog a rather nice Pokémon?

Adaptability mega Gardevoir is Bonkers as now Psyshock is a sure 2hko on Chansey, congratulations, you broke a good pokemon. The ate option is good due to hypervoice existence, it isn't lazy, it's one of the few examples of GF not overturning a Pokémon like they did with Lucario. Plus you get a stronger dazzling gleam on doubles thanks to hypervoice.

I agree that our beloved sauropod is a bag of missed opportunities, not enough speed, the worst defensive typing and no strong offensive moves to back it up, Blizzard is pretty much HV already minus 8% strength and the ability to ignore subs. The sauropod problems start waaaaaay before the ability.

Onto Altaria, well fairy type body slam is amazing, fairy type hypervoice is great.

Sadly fairy is a better stab than dragon already, you get a redundant offensive stabs and a good defensive typing, I'll take fairy body slam over play rough any day, but seriously when you pretty much need fireblast and eq to function yet lack the ability to freely spam Draco Meteor out of your superior fairy stabs you got yourself a problem.

Altaria just needed an offensive flying move to get triple stopped by steel!

In all seriousness, pivot altaria is great, if only it had acces to EP our little bird could be a true jack off all trades. The problem of Altaria lies on redundant stabs and the freaking need to give him a snowflake typing to be different from Salamence, it failed in the long run.

-ate abilities are cool, but some Pokémon concepts just kinda sucked at the design table

Last edited:
Imo Palkia's water-typing would've made more sense if it represented time instead of Dialga. "Time flows like a river" and all. But alas, it does not.

There's also the theory that the three dragons allegedly represent states of matter: steel = solid, water = liquid and ghost = gas.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If we're questioning why Palkia is water, why is Dialga steel?
Aside from corrin 's explanation that they wanted them to represent the 3 (well known) phases of matter, I always went with chrono (a prefix which means "time") sounding like chrome. It could also be due to clockwork devices usually always being made out of metal (at least in olde times) as Karxrida said.

And to complete the cycle, why is Giratina part Ghost? Well antimatter is the opposite of matter, matter is what we know is needed for the basis of life, the opposite of life is death, and death could be related to the Ghost-type.

Honestly you could probably write a thesis paper as to why certain Legendaries are typed as they are.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why is Lugia part Psychic?
Why are Latios & Latias part Psychic?
Why is Jirachi part Steel?
Why is Palkia part Water?
Why is Dialga part Steel?
Why is Giratina part Ghost?
Why is Terrakion part Rock?
Why is Virizion part Grass?
Why is Reshiram part Fire?
Why is Zekrom part Electric?

That's all the Legendaries with the odd typing I can think of.

Honestly, I could try and come up with a crack theory for each one of those but that would honestly lead us no where, instead we'll just keep walking around in circles. So how about we just leave it at that?
-
Except for this one:
Why is Lugia part Psychic?
" Pokemon Y's Dex Entry: It is said to be the guardian of the seas. It is rumored to have been seen on the night of a storm "

We're all asking the wrong question here. What we should be asking ourselves is why LUGIA isn't a Water-Type. If it weren't for the fact that they're 2 generations apart from each other, I'd say Lugia and Palkia both got their secondary typings messed up at some point, since Psychic most of the time is pretty much the "I don't know what the fuck this thing actually is" type, which sums up exactly how I feel about Palkia, and even Dialga for that matter.

Last edited:
Honestly, I could try and come up with a crack theory for each one of those but that would honestly lead us no where, instead we'll just keep walking around in circles. So how about we just leave it at that?
-
Except for this one:

" Pokemon Y's Dex Entry: It is said to be the guardian of the seas. It is rumored to have been seen on the night of a storm "

We're all asking the wrong question here. What we should be asking ourselves is why LUGIA isn't a Water-Type. If it weren't for the fact that they're 2 generations apart from each other, I'd say Lugia and Palkia both got their secondary typings messed up at some point, since Psychic most of the time is pretty much the "I don't know what the fuck this thing actually is" type, which sums up exactly how I feel about Palkia, and even Dialga for that matter.
Well, Lugia didn't always make its home in the sea. It originally roosted atop the Brass Tower before tragedy struck and burned it almost to the ground. Maybe that's why it isn't Water/Flying? I don't know. I wasn't there when Game Freak decided upon Lugia's typing.

Buneary's base friendship is 0 when you catch it. It evolves into Lopunny by having a friendship of 220. Have fun.

EDIT: Oops, lag led me to quad-post this or something.

Buneary's base friendship is 0 when you catch it. It evolves into Lopunny by having a friendship of 220. Have fun.

EDIT: Oops, lag led me to quad-post this or something.
I think it's rather the point; that you have to work much harder for this friendship evolution.
Which would be much better executed it the payoff got good two generations earlier than it did.

Move Tutors in ORAS are a rip-off - it took me 60 battle points just for the movesets of my Gallade-M/Tornadus-T/Darmanitan (two Knock Offs, one Zen Headbutt, one Heat Wave and one Superpower). And that's without the Assault Vest and Life Orb, which are another 96 points combined.

So basically, 156 points just to get the team set up.

Move Tutors in ORAS are a rip-off - it took me 60 battle points just for the movesets of my Gallade-M/Tornadus-T/Darmanitan (two Knock Offs, one Zen Headbutt, one Heat Wave and one Superpower). And that's without the Assault Vest and Life Orb, which are another 96 points combined.

So basically, 156 points just to get the team set up.
Honestly if I didn't have 2500 Battle Points solely because of Pokemon Bank, I would be complaining too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)