2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney at 16 was better than Messi when he was 16, but he peaked at around age 26 and has gotten slower and slower ever since. Players who physically develop early also tend to peak early and Rooney is showing all the signs of that. He's playing like a 35 year old not a 30 year old. When was the last time he was trusted as the main centre forward at Utd? Even Fergie ditched him for RVP in his last season. He hasn't fulfilled the potential he showed at such a young age, and with hindsight it's because he was near his peak anyway. Rooney isn't bad yet but he's pretty average now, there's no point even arguing.

Also is FIFA deliberately trying to be as out of touch as possible lol? For someone who genuinely enjoys football as a sport I am legit tempted to stop watching it on principle because of how greedy, corrupt and generally vile the organisation is.
Rooney was another English wonderboy who didn't live up to the insanely high expectations. Utd have been changing his position to compensate for his deteriorating play.

And FIFA aren't going to change unless one of two things happen. Either people stop watching their events (LOL yeah right) or governments find things to crack down on them for, like the US did with a couple of officials. Until then we can just sit back and laugh

Rooney at 16 was better than Messi when he was 16, but he peaked at around age 26 and has gotten slower and slower ever since. Players who physically develop early also tend to peak early and Rooney is showing all the signs of that. He's playing like a 35 year old not a 30 year old. When was the last time he was trusted as the main centre forward at Utd? Even Fergie ditched him for RVP in his last season. He hasn't fulfilled the potential he showed at such a young age, and with hindsight it's because he was near his peak anyway. Rooney isn't bad yet but he's pretty average now, there's no point even arguing.

Also is FIFA deliberately trying to be as out of touch as possible lol? For someone who genuinely enjoys football as a sport I am legit tempted to stop watching it on principle because of how greedy, corrupt and generally vile the organisation is.
Like I said, he's not playing to his full potential. Also, don't forget his multiple injuries over the years

Like I said, he's not playing to his full potential. Also, don't forget his multiple injuries over the years

Truly world class performance by Wayne Rooney. If after watching this, you don't believe he's useless nowadays, I don't know what to tell you. I don't care what he used to achieve, point is he's a complete liability on the pitch.

Truly world class performance by Wayne Rooney. If after watching this, you don't believe he's useless nowadays, I don't know what to tell you. I don't care what he used to achieve, point is he's a complete liability on the pitch.
This is what the internet is for: to scrutinize great players who do bad in games. Yeah, he's not having a great season. But so do lots of awesome players. The guy's really good, he just needs that ONE supporting player to help him. Maybe that's Ibrahimovic and Mata. All I know is that players have bad games, and that you shouldn't use ONE or a few games to equate to the guy's skill. After all, he DID get onto the national team.

Besides, he has the threat of Ibrahimovic taking his job. Kinda demoralizes you.

If we should talk about bad seasons, we should bring up Pogba, Dani Alves, Götze, or even maybe Reus.

Last edited:

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is what the internet is for: to scrutinize great players who do bad in games. Yeah, he's not having a great season. But so do lots of awesome players. The guy's really good, he just needs that ONE supporting player to help him. Maybe that's Ibrahimovic and Mata. All I know is that players have bad games, and that you shouldn't use ONE or a few games to equate to the guy's skill. After all, he DID get onto the national team.

Besides, he has the threat of Ibrahimovic taking his job. Kinda demoralizes you.

If we should talk about bad seasons, we should bring up Pogba, Dani Alves, Götze, or even maybe Reus.
i don't think anyone's denying that rooney WAS good and WAS skilled at one point in his career. however, 30 year old wayne rooney after injuries is not that player anymore. it doesn't matter who you put around him -- he's the weak link. can he still be useful in the right position? maybe. he's just not the same player that he was at this stage in his career.

The guy's really good, he just needs that ONE supporting player to help him. Maybe that's Ibrahimovic and Mata. All I know is that players have bad games, and that you shouldn't use ONE or a few games to equate to the guy's skill.
Where have you been since 2013? Guy has been serving up 10 bad games for one good game since 3 years ago.

After all, he DID get onto the national team.
He only gets into the team based on reputation. Wilshire also gets into the team despite playing 2 games all season. Not a good indicator of quality when your manager is a FA yes man.

Whatever, I'm finished with this topic since you're obviously convinced he still has something to deliver.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
rooney's problem at manchester united is that he has become a jack-of-all-trades but master of none. he is pretty decent, no one is arguing that he is utterly terrible, but now there is not a single position on the field that rooney is better at than his teammates who occupy that position:

striker/centre forward: ibra, marcus rashford
attacking playmaker: mata, mkhitaryan
winger: every winger in the league lol
deep-lying playmaker: carrick
free roaming midfielder: pogba
box to box: schneiderlin

he doesn't do any of those roles better than the players listed

I am not really satisfied with how United are playing and not sure how far do they plan on getting with such a messy and extemporaneous offensive phase. As Lingard said recently in an interview and as Hazard complained as well during the past season Mourinho doesn't really plan his offensive phase in any way and pretty much the sort of his teams are left to the creativity and intelligence of his offensive players. When they aren't in top-shape mentally they just risk hitting on a wall if the opponent is even remotely organized (see Mazzarri's Watford which just needed to not fall apart). Having Rooney there just makes the matter worse since he just compresses the half spaces in which Pogba and many other creative players (wingers and midfielders) can create chances due to his only movement being towards the defense to take the ball (which forces Ibra to come back as well) and then not really doing anything since he is so horizontally minded. So Manchester United ends up just playing horizontally and then throwing a long ball after long useless possession and a lot of LVG memories come back.
Herrera and, probably, Mata become necessary then since they can take advantage of the half spaces to create chances and organize the negative transition smartly (Fellini clearly can't do that) which was a very big issue that lost ManU a lot of time and the presence of Blind as a CB made even worse (not his fault really but he will do great if he keeps playing on the left side imo). I said probably about Mata because Mourinho decided to apparently discard Mhkitarian for no apparent reason when he would be super useful in a system like this if he is the one in Dortmund but I guess there is an issue similar to Kagawa which was just played in a different way and not really part of the tactical plans.

On a side note Rashford will have to keep his (slight) over performing as he is currently the only player on the team which can take the ball while running effectively, very important "tool" for fast transitions which are an important offensive option for Mou.

Speaking of tools...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ation-england-manager-sam-allardyce-for-sale/

I stuck a tenner on arsenal to win the league btw, the odds were simply too good when everyone is thinking city will run away with it.
Don't get me wrong, Arsenal is a good team but you guys have never been able to get over the annual collapse around February to April. Plus, your squad always seem to have many players injured at the same time. Unless you guys can do that, it's a bit hard to think of a serious title challenge.

I've followed arsenal for a long time and I've never put any money on them, not even last year. But this year is honestly the best chance I have seen in the last decade of Wenger finally doing it and I wouldn't have put money on if I didn't think it would happen. Laugh now but I'm expecting some serious credit if arsenal do win!

i don't think anyone's denying that rooney WAS good and WAS skilled at one point in his career. however, 30 year old wayne rooney after injuries is not that player anymore. it doesn't matter who you put around him -- he's the weak link. can he still be useful in the right position? maybe. he's just not the same player that he was at this stage in his career.
Touchè

There is literally no way City is not winning the PL this year. I'd even say Bayern not winning the Bundesliga or PSG not winning Ligue 1 is more likely than City not winning BPL
EH. Bayern always dominate the Buldesliga, so that's a given. As for City, it's for sure they're winning the PL AND the Champoin's League, beating even FCB, sadly.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
EH. Bayern always dominate the Buldesliga, so that's a given. As for City, it's for sure they're winning the PL AND the Champoin's League, beating even FCB, sadly.
I still expect a worse leagueperformance with Carlo instead of Pep. But since Dortmund also has to integrate a lot of new players, I don't think they are strong enough to challenge Bayern this year.

Holy shit what a game between Dortmund and Real. Disappointed we didn't clinch the win, but holy fuck that was a real thriller. So much tempo, so many chances, a game reminding me why I love this game so much.

Our passing game was on point, with a buttload of cheeky plays, breaking through Real's defence like a knife thorugh butter, only missing the final pass most of the time. For such a young squad, that was immensely done.

Weigl has to be my motm though. His passes, positioning and defensive work was almost perfect. He's a true jewel for our midfield.

Castro's energy is so inspiring, pacing even in the final minutes of the game almost as if he hadn't been struck by any fatigue whatsoever.

Pulisic was astounding the minutes he played. Creating chances at such a great level, and only 18!

I think Dembele could do with being a bit less selfish though, quite a few chances were wasted in the first 30 minutes for instance. Götze was almost invisible and Schürrle didn't do a lot aside from his wonderful finish.

Still, a great game!

that hidden camera stuff needs to be stopped.
why dont papers leave people alone and do what they are supposed to do, and report news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)