ORAS OU Mamoswine’s Choiced Priority Hyper Offense Hub (Top 10 OU, 1940+)

Intro

Everybody loves Mamoswine. Its cuddly fur, its little cold nose and its piercing gaze, everything about Mamoswine is amazing! So because of that, I wanted to make a team using Mamoswine. Oh yeah, and I thought it would be fun to run one mega and 5 choice items, because Wynaut?

Mamoswine’s Mighty Objectives
- A fast phased team that doesn’t drag matches out
- A team able to break stalls by hitting like a truck (didn’t work out that well, lol)
- A team able to counter common threats such as Landorus-T, Latios and Clefable

Team

Strategy
This team revolves around dishing out enough damage to prepare for a priority sweep. Because there are four priority users in this team, each of them hits quite hard, you can determine at the start of a match which one will be your win condition based on the enemy team. I found that often this is Mamoswine, because Garchomp, Landorus-T and Latios are all over the place.

Early game revolves around dishing out some damage. Starting with Kyurem-B allows for a hard first hit and he can sometimes get a sneak kill. Azumarill is a great lead too. Moves such as Knock Off, Play Rough and Zenn Heabutt are great in early game to dish out damage. Heatran and Kyurem-B should also be used as revenge killers. Of course, Heatran allows for great switch-ins due to its type and ability. Typically you can lure out Scizor and Ferrothorn with Kyurem or Azumarill, if you switch to Dragonite you can usually get a Fire Punch kill. Mamoswine can be used to switch in on Landorus-T and Garchomp, which will force them to switch, giving an opportunity for Knock Off or Superpower.

In mid game some enemy mons should have fainted, usually 1 or 2. This is when you can alter your win condition and focus on luring out the remaining obstacle. Taking out this obstacle with power moves such as Outrage, Play Rough and Earthquake should be the main focus of mid game. Try to get rid of fairy types in early game.

End game is about sweeping, usually with either priority moves or a Choice Scarf. Try to calculate a few turns ahead to see if you can make it. Often many sacrifices are made in order to allow the sweep, but in the end – if you win – that’s fine. If you can’t sweep in late game due to some obstacle, you have to rely on prediction to take the obstacle out. All in all, this team is very fast-phased but is also able to take quite some hits. I guess a decent knowledge of the meta is required, as predictions are somewhat mandatory. On the other hand, playing Hyper Offense is not too hard, so I’d give it a mediocre difficulty rating to use.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP /252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Mamoswine, the starplayer of this team. Mamoswine’s Ice Shard is a huge threat to loads of common Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Latios, Garchomp, Dragonite, Gliscor, Serperior and Latias. In many situations a team runs at least two of the above mentioned Pokemon and my win condition revolves around Ice Shard sweeps. Earthquake exists to dish out major damage to Clefable as well as other walls and steel types. Knock Off is excellent when it’s hard to predict the opponent’s next move, as it’s a very safe and useful move. It also helps breaking Chansey and destroys Psychic types. Superpower exists for the commonly used Ferrothorn, as well as being a saver option to click when the enemy runs a lot of flyers/levitaters. Mamoswine is chosen over Weavile because of the increased Ice Shard damage, the neutral damage it takes from Stealth Rocks and the bigger bulk as well as getting access to Earthquake and being immune to Thunder-Wave, which makes it an excellent switch in on T-wavers.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
Shiny: Yes
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Azumarill is basically, the second Mamoswine. It runs a very similar set but comes with some different types. Azumarill has a nice bulk which makes it a good switch in on Keldeo, because even after a burn it will still deal quite some damage. Aqua Jet threatens Talonflame and Excadrill, two very common Pokemon. Play Rough is the go-to spam moves when you’re in a safe position as it dishes out major damage on anything that’s not a Heatran. Knock Off and Superpower are chosen for the same reasons as Mamoswine. In late game, Aqua Jet can be used to help Mamoswine finish the leftover enemy Pokemon off.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Dragonite can be tricky to use. It’s harmed by Stealth Rocks a lot and Outrage is easily predicted. Despite of this, Extreme Speed offers amazing (end-game) sweeping on punies like Lopunny, Weavile, Starmie and Gardevoir. Dragonite is best used once the opposing Fairy Pokemon have fainted. Outrage deals massive damage and can even 2HKO most non-bulky steel types. Fire Punch is there to punish switches to Ferrothorn and Scizor. Earthquake helps punishing a switch to Heatran and also works well against Magnezone. Outrage will break any wall that doesn’t resist it, making Dragonite a valuable asset to have.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Terravolt
EVs: 252 ATT / 252 SPE / 4 SPA
Naughty Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-B is usually my lead and it’s very fun to use. Because it’s scarfed it can often sneak away a kill right at the start. In many cases using Outrage directly works, as people usually send out a set-up to get rocks down. Outrage hits hard, Fusion Bolt allows Kyurem to deal with water types such as Azumarill, Starmie, Manaphy and Keldeo (it can’t take on Slowbro that well). Ice Beam is there to punish switches to Tangrowth, Amoonguss, Landorus-T and Dugtrio, which are quite common when people expect a Fusion Bolt. Earth Power does decent damage on Rotom-W and helps against Heatran. Kyurem-B is also often my burn sacrifice if Heatran is out. All in all, an early game monster that often manages to get some sneaky kills. I tried out Iron Head but found that people don’t often swap to Fairy types against Kyurem-B.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SPA / 252 SPE / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Att
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

No Stealth Rocks? Nope. I used it a very long time and it was really helpful to get priority sweeps, but it left me overexposed to Talonflame. Once people figured out my Heatran was scarfed, Talonflame could freely Swords Dance on it and then proceed to take out my entire team. That said, this Heatran is also quite surprising. People rarely expect a scarf and even when you swap it in after say, Excadrill gets a KO, people will often leave it there, not expecting a scarf. Overheat kills Scizor, Ferrothorn, Excadril and deals major damage to most Pokemon. Flash Cannon helps against Clefable, Diancie, Kyurem-B, Gardevoir and Tyranitar. Earth Power is obviously there to counter enemy Heatrans and Ancient Power mainly exists to deal with Talonflame, of course, it’s also a safer option on Mega-Pinsir. Heatran is also excellent to soak up Will O Wisp, which is a weakness of this team.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Att / 252 SPE / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

My Mega! And my only Pokemon that doesn’t use a Choice Item. Metagross, it has quite a weird set. Bullet Punch is there to help Mamoswine in the end-game sweep. It blasts Diancie away and works good on most Fairy and Ice types. Zenn Headbutt allows this team to take on Mega-Venusaur, which proved to be a problem back when I didn’t ran it. Ice Punch is there to punish Landorus, Garchomp and Dragonite. Thunder Punch is chosen to deal with Manaphy and other water types, as my team is quite weak to Scald. Kyurem-B and Metagross often serve as Scald-killers. Metagross also helps balancing the team because it isn’t choiced, it’s best used in late-game though it can take some hits as a switch in in early game.
Offensive analysis
This team has huge offensive capacity, and also has quite some speed and priority. Because of this it can take on most Pokemon in OU. Slowbro-M is a problem however, since none of my Pokemon can 2HKO it and I don’t run any boosters. To deal with Slowbro-M crits are required (Kyurem-B), or hitting it before it mega-evolves. Rotom-W is also troublesome, although Kyurem-B stands a fair chance against it and Rotom-W lacks reliable recovery so it will eventually go down. Mew with Will-O-Wisp can be a real pest, as Heatran can’t really harm it and it outspeeds all my banders. Usually a sacrifice is required to deal with Mew. Last but not least, this team hates all regenerators and can really have a hard time against Tangrowth, Alomola, Amoongus and the sorts.

Defensive analysis
The biggest defensive problem of this team is Scald. None of my Pokemon truly like to switch in on a Scald. Kyurem-B is the best bet, because it runs two special moves too. Dragonite and Azumarill take decreased water damage, but the burn isn’t nice. That said, even after a burn these Pokemon still hit hard, people often tend to overlook that. Another status move I can’t counter that well is Spore, do to the lack of Grass Pokemon. I often sacrifice a low health Pokemon as sleep fodder, but it can really dish out some pressure on this team. Dark is only resisted by Azumarill, which makes it crucial to keep the bunny alive if the enemy runs a Bisharp. Rock can also threaten this team, though it’s not so common and Metagross usually takes Rock attacks quite well.

Thunder-Wave isn’t too big of a deal because Mamoswine is an excellent switch in on Clefable and Chansey. Azumarill and Dragonite aren’t too bothered by T-wave either. A Mach Punch Breloom can really put pressure on this team too, as Heatran, Kyurem-B and Mamoswine don’t like to be near it. Scizor can also prove to be a problem, but by making the right predictions he can be checked. Other than these threats, the team is overall decently bulky with decent type coverage. Make sure not to waste Heatran if there’s a speedy WoW’r on the enemy team and watch out for the Scalders. Spikes and Stealth Rocks can also hurt quite a bit, so be wary for stally teams.

Speed Analysis
Due to the scarfers, Mega-Metagross and many priority moves, this team has little problem with speed tiers. Keldeo with a Scarf can prove to be troublesome, though once you find out what move it’s locked in there’s enough counterplay. Excadrill with Sand Rush in sand is troublesome if Azumarill is down and Talonflame with +2 is a problem when Heatran is out. Other than this, I haven’t encountered many speed issues. The 8SPE EVs you see everywhere are to outspeed people that put the last 4 EVs in speed at speedties, it can go a long way!

Conclusion
I guess this team is kinda weird. It runs 5 Choice Items after all, but it turned out to work quite okay. Improvements I feel that could be made are swapping Earthquake on Dragonite for something else, as I don't often use Earthquake. Mamoswine could run Stone Edge against Talonflame, to give Heatran Stealth Rocks back, though that would still require prediction since Mamoswine dies to +2 BB anyway.

Meteor Mash could be chosen over Bullet Punch, though I find BP to offer more late game use, as many threats still outspeed M-Metagross. Other than this I haven't tried out much with swapping EVs around, but I assume there might be some better spreads out there. All in all I was quite surprised this team managed to make top 10 OU, and I realize there are many flaws so any and all constructive feedback to improve upon this concept is welcome! (I'd really like to keep the Mamoswine and the Choices though, since it's kinda the trademark of the team.)

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-456746448
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-456779470
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-456783233
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-456848751
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-457370367

Last edited:
Cool team, this isn't really a rate, but a fairly simple solution to the problems your team faces versus fat water types and heatran to a lesser extent (nothing can switchin) would be to run lum berry>choice band on Azumarill. While losing the band makes it more difficult to wallbreak, you have banded Dragonite and Mamoswine which makes up for the lost wallbreaking power. This will greatly improve your team's matchup versus the aforementioned threats as you can switch Azumarill in with much less risk. I noticed in your first replay your initial play to their Heatran was to hard switch into Azumarill; if you elect to make those plays, then you really need a lum berry. I'll come back later with a proper rate, but I hope this suggestion helped!

Thanks for the suggestion! I have considered Lum for Dragonite, but never went to try it out. I can also imagine it work on Azumarill, because it is way less common on her and yet it can lead to a surprise kill thanks to her water type. Lum on Dragonite has the advantage of being able to take on Rotom-W, which Azumarill doesn't do so well. On the other hand, since Outrage is a lock move anyway, I might as well put a band on it and go for Lum on Azumarill instead, to keep the wallbreaking power of Dragonite.

One potential problem would be Sand Rush Excadrill however, considering Azumarill needs a band to OHKO Excadrill. If I swap to Lum, I would need both Mamoswine and Azumarill to deal with Excadrill, and one of them would have to be sacrificed. That said, a Lum could really help a lot against Scald and WoW, so I should give it some tries! (Would you reckon sticking with this movepool or adding in Waterfall though?)

Another option a friend of mine though of is swapping Dragonite for Latios. Latios is good against Scalds and could eventually run Trick with a Choice Specs in order to give some more counters against stalls. Losing Dragonite would mean losing a wallbreaker though, which is questionable.

Last edited:
I think you could run Icicle Spear on Mamoswine over Knock Off or Super Power (probably Super Power, it's not like you're particularly lacking in other mons to handle Ferrothorn in the first place). I say Spear over Crash as you've forgone Stealth Rocks, so Spear offers you a nice way to get around sashes which have the potential to wipe out one of your pokemon easily. It also gives you a potential go to for Substitute users, though I can't think of a great many Substitute users Mamoswine would outpace to make effect use of Icicle Spear.

Other than that, I really like the team. It was great in one of the replays someone switching in Dugtrio to Heatran thinking it was okay to take a hit because Dugtrio was sashed and so should under normal circumstances revenge, only for Heatran to out speed with the scarf and KO. I'd say for an additional change you could consider running Stealth Rock on Metagross over Zen Headbutt, with the switches Metagross forces it should be able to get them out (particularly against Diancie) and it is a little unexpected, however as you say Zen Headbutt patches up a weakness to Mega Venusaur. Still you can hit Mega Venusaur hard with a variety of mons on your team and so I think the amount of HP you'd be taking off with rocks is worth a little risk when it comes to one uncommon mega.

Another option a friend of mine though of
hi zold it's me! thought i might as well write out my thoughts out properly rather than spouting nonsense in steam chat

i was thinking more swapping out kyu-b for latios. ofc you lose your fastest mon but banded espeed and ice shard already give u good hard-hitting fast options, and latios has a great speed tier anyway. already mentioned that it can eat scalds well and recover helps it do that consistently throughout the match as long as it gets turns to heal (even tho u said u wanted specs o well). it also gives u a second check to keldeo which looks like it can give your team a lot of trouble if played well since ur current checks are azu and kyu-b which both dont enjoy getting burned. another reason is because it'd give you a second ground check that also isnt smacked by rocks

172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe on azu lets it outspeed clefable which is something u probably want. though at the same time i'd also suggest running belly drum azu over band. u already have a lot of breakers, and u mentioned having a hard time being able to break regen cores. getting up a drum lets azu break them, as well having a chance to ohko megabro.

not sure what else to change because it seems pretty solid outside of no rocks (and i KNOW how much u love ur choice items...).

Thanks for the advice! I think I could try out running M-Metagross with Rocks instead of either Thunder Punch or Zen Headbutt, as it would really help the priority sweep. Not too sure about spear, I generally find it unreliable due to the randomness involved.

I tried out some Latios, it seemed to work pretty fine, though lacking Extreme Speed was a bummer so maybe Kyurem-B is indeed the better swap. As for BD Azu, I'm not a big fan of it but I could give it some goes to deal with stall teams a bit better!

By the way, if anyone else likes to try out this team with possible adjustments please let me know the results ^.^!

Yeah Spear might be a bit more of a shot in the dark, I think incorporating rocks in a left field way that's very easy to set up because of forcing switches is a good idea though. Ordinarily, I would never encourage having a utility move on an offensive powerhouse like Mega Metagross, but most teams have it as their only offensive powerhouse. As you have a whole bunch of extreme powerhouses, I don't think squeezing rocks onto the set would hurt the team.

Yeah Spear might be a bit more of a shot in the dark, I think incorporating rocks in a left field way that's very easy to set up because of forcing switches is a good idea though. Ordinarily, I would never encourage having a utility move on an offensive powerhouse like Mega Metagross, but most teams have it as their only offensive powerhouse. As you have a whole bunch of extreme powerhouses, I don't think squeezing rocks onto the set would hurt the team.

In reference to the Latios idea from Cacturne, Trick sets are extremely good - a very easy way of tying up annoying walls on stall teams. As you mentioned you can have a little difficulty with stall, putting something that can take a key player out of action seems a good idea.

yeah zold and I decided on i think draco/psyshock/hpfire/trick specs lati with hpfire over surf because msciz is more annoying than opposing heatrans to deal with.

if u do go for rocks meta id swap out ice punch for it because I think u would value hitting bulky waters with tpunch more than bulky grounds, especially since u have mamo and kyu-b/specs lati in the back, and dropping zen means u have no strong stab. u can still bluff ice punch too ofc. im not too fond of rocks meta tho because of the coverage u have to drop but u really want rocks, and I can't think of a good way to fit it on without messing with the team a lot

sry if formatting is bad im on mobile atm :[

Been trying some Latios, but it leaves me very exposed to Starmie, as only Heatran outspeeds it and he can't really do much against one. Kyurem-B has the advantage of outspeeding many treats, some of which are speedtied to Latios, so yeah that's kinda a problem. A full offensive Serperior, though rare, can also be a problem if it runs HP Ground.

Instead, a nice change I have made is the following:
Dragonite now runs 64SPE EVs to outspeed Rotom-Wash. This way Dragonite can Outrage before getting burned, guaranteeing a 2HKO.

Last edited:
Been trying some Latios, but it leaves me very exposed to Starmie, as only Heatran outspeeds it and he can't really do much against one. Kyurem-B has the advantage of outspeeding many treats, some of which are speedtied to Latios, so yeah that's kinda a problem. A full offensive Serperior, though rare, can also be a problem if it runs HP Ground.

Instead, a nice change I have made is the following:
Dragonite now runs 64SPE EVs to outspeed Rotom-Wash. This way Dragonite can Outrage before getting burned, guaranteeing a 2HKO.
Why dont you run this dragonite set

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed/Roost
- Earthquake/Substitute.

This set allows you to be less susceptile to status and also lets you clean late game with attacks than Extremespeed and also is a cool wincon for your team since you pretty much deal with steels and fairies really well. You can even substitute instead of EQ and substitute after grabing a DD easy to bait the willowisp and then dd again or just kill rotom. Also

That's definitely a good set, I've been using it with some succes. I only find it hard to pick a time to set-up in a meta where Landorus and Clefable are so common. Once those two are fainted, it works pretty well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)