The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
jesus fucking christ yuri on ice is good. like everything about it has this impeccable level of polish to it.

qrE3TInqs

Flip Flappers being as scary as it was this week came out of nowhere, I expected it to get dark somewhere, but not in this way. Also having the magic words being Flip Flapping was a nice touch.

I'm looking for 3 shows to watch this season. I asked in #weeb and only got one response, so I'm looking for some more opinions:

1 good show. Like the best show of the season or something.
1 cute girls doing cute things show. Emphasis on cute, not lewd. I dropped Keijo!!!!!!!!! 1:03 into the show.
1 more pretty good show. Think 6 or 7/10 rated shows. For reference I gave re:Zero a 5/10.

Here is my MAL if it can be of any help: https://myanimelist.net/profile/BASEDFaint

So I just finished the first arc of Gurren Lagann and I have a just one thing I want to say
Huge spoilers by the way
It is really starting to bug me how many people are complaining and keep saying that Kamina should not have died. Do any of these people understand that his death was necessary for Simon's character growth?

anyways, I have really enjoyed this series so far. It took be a bit to get into but, I finally understand why it is so loved

finished konosuba, was a ton of fun
picked up devil is a part-timer, also a ton of fun

would also like some recommendations on what I should get off my PTW next; currently stuck between Spice & Wolf, Oregairu (both seasons), Kyousougiga, and Baccano

I'm looking for 3 shows to watch this season. I asked in #weeb and only got one response, so I'm looking for some more opinions:

1 good show. Like the best show of the season or something.
1 cute girls doing cute things show. Emphasis on cute, not lewd. I dropped Keijo!!!!!!!!! 1:03 into the show.
1 more pretty good show. Think 6 or 7/10 rated shows. For reference I gave re:Zero a 5/10.

Here is my MAL if it can be of any help: https://myanimelist.net/profile/BASEDFaint
seconding rodan's recommendations and maybe also consider starting hibike / catching up to hibike 2 for a CGDCT anime, if you were a band/choir/orchestra kid in high school (otherwise it can be tough to relate, but can still be enjoyable)

or consider just tackling things on your PTW because shinsekai yori, psycho-pass, tatami galaxy, hyouka, and barakamon are all super solid series

So I just finished the first arc of Gurren Lagann and I have a just one thing I want to say
It took be a bit to get into but, I finally understand why it is so loved
lmao you ain't seen nothing yet, hold on to ya seatbelt

Huge spoilers by the way
It is really starting to bug me how many people are complaining and keep saying that Kamina should not have died. Do any of these people understand that his death was necessary for Simon's character growth?

anyways, I have really enjoyed this series so far. It took be a bit to get into but, I finally understand why it is so loved
Regarding the spoiler:
The "The hero dies" trope really caught me offguard when I first watched it, since the show otherwise constatly give the viewer what he/she want and expect. I really enjoyed how unpredictable the plot became after he died.

Gurren Lagann is definitely a classic. Anyone who even remotely liked some of the things Kill La Kill tried to do, should check it out.

definitive ranking of every opening/ending this season:

1. Flip Flappers ED
2. Hibike! 2 ED
3. 3-gatsu no Lion ED
4. everything else

EDIT: haven't started yuri on ice but its OP is actually really good too

RODAN

Banned deucer.
my list is pretty close to yours

1. Flip Flappers ED
2. Yuri on Ice! OP
3. 3-gatsu no Lion ED
4. To Be Hero OP
5. Jojo OP
6. Tiger Mask W OP/ED

not a whole lot of activity in this thread, so how about a discussion prompt to stir things up:

What are your thoughts on "good characters" and what constitutes them? Do "good characters" have to be complex, or can they embody what they are so well that they don't need to be multifaceted? Do characters have to undergo a lot of development in order to be considered "good"?

Example: Several characters in Psycho-Pass. Kougami is basically just a really cool cop. He's stylish, he harbors a grudge against the antagonist for personal reasons, he has a "will-they-won't-they" vibe with Akane, he's good at fighting, and he's hot. He doesn't mature very much as a character throughout the entire series, and he's not exactly complex, but he's one of the more beloved characters in the cast. Similar things could be said about Makishima.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There are three types of character which I think are good.

First, I think a character is good if they are likable and/or believable and/or relatable, and they don't even need to be particularly complex or developed. For example, Satou in Ajin is mostly two-dimensional, but I think he is a good character simply because he is everything I envision when I think of the word "evil". On the flipside, someone like Hinazuki Kayo and Katagiri Airi from Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji from Toradora, Kino and Sakura from Kino no Tabi, Nello and Alois from Flanders no Inu etc. are good characters because they are all likable, believable and relatable, with Sakura being a great example of a good character which isn't particularly developed or complex--given that she was only in the last episode of the series--to the point where I felt emotionally connected to the character, whereas Katagiri (at least in her manga incarnation) has a character which is complete genius, serving not only as a vitally important plot device to push the story ahead (as well as the romantic focus--which triggered literally everyone), but also as an amalgamation of all of the main and major supporting characters' personalities barring Yashiro--for whom she was the utter antithesis--and as such being almost like the web at the centre of the cast and almost acting like a link between the past and present in the story without even going into the past. Hell, the mangaka (as well as the adaptation's director) did a pretty good job at making the personality parallels to characters like Kayo as blatant as possible. The majority of the major or cast of FMAB (Elric brothers and the major supporting roles) comes under this group.

Alternatively, another way you can design good characters is when you create two which are "joined at the hip" so to speak and are at their strongest when they play off of to form a great character dynamic. The most recent example I can think of (please note I'm not up to date with this season in any way, shape or form, so there may be a more recent one) is Chigusa Kasumi and Chigusa Asuha from Qualidea Code--who were two of the best characters on last season despite how spectacularly average the show was as a whole for precisely this reason. The very sarcastic tone the two characters shared combined with the subtly funny banter, spats and other interactions that went on between them, such as in the sidecar scene where the vehicle breaks apart and Asuha leaves Kasumi in her dust as he calls out half-heartedly towards her. Another example (and one which will probably make some people roll their eyes for me bringing up) is with Sora and Shiro in No Game No Life, where everything that makes the characters entertaining to watch comes from their well-designed dynamic.

Finally, a character can be good just for having a gimmick which they execute really, really well, such as Sakamoto or Tanaka. I'd elaborate further but honestly these should be super self-explanatory and as such feels redundant to expand on it, as they are usually pretty obvious when you see them.

Last edited:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm implying. O;9 is AOTS. Also

> trying to greentext on smogon forums

Shamefuru dispray. I'll overlook it because you're a JoJo fan though.

> trying to greentext on smogon forums
> implying I was doing this to use green text instead me trying to insert a thought.

Also my seasonal favorite right now is 3-Gatsu, I absolutely love the visuals, the characters all feel really memorable to me in their own ways, and it is something that is keeping me on the edge of my seat while feeling relaxing to watch at the same time. Plus most of the characters are developing at their own, solid rate.

You're gonna have to tell me more than that I'm trying to figure out if I should binge it as we speak
A warning at first, the ridiculous pace in first episode and a certain main girl with humongous breasts (grotesquely big, I'm not kidding) turned a lot of people away. But the show has a lot to offer, very nice mystery series with nice direction, awesome and detailed visuals and a plot twist that is foreshadowed beautifully if you pay close attention. Absolutely recommend.

zaregoto is the superior mystery with yuki kaji MC that's kinda sorta airing this season

also best new show is probably Girlish Number

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm just gonna binge everything except Flip Flappers (which I'm watching as it airs... mostly) after my mocks. I got behind and fuck catching up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)