Serious Girlfriend/Boyfriend Discussion

Asheviere

Banned deucer.
All things considered playing mons isn't THAT weird of a hobby. If your significant other can't deal with the fact you have a hobby, they're not the one for you. That said, if your SO is not interested in mons themselves, don't bore them with hour long stories about how Baton Pass should have not been banned or some shit, but I'd say that's mostly common sense (you wouldn't do that to friends who don't play mons either). I wouldn't bring up your Pokémon hobby on a first date, though, but it should not have a negative effect on your relationship. If anything it might make your SO think you're "nerdy" but if you're in a relationship they probably already know that.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Having separate hobbies from your SO is healthy and beneficial as it gives you something to talk about/share with each other. Even if they don't understand the details or participate themselves, they care about you and thus should care about how your hobby is going. Your gf can listen to you blab about the cool new mons team you built and you can listen to her blab about the new yarn she got for knitting scarves with her friends. It shows investment in how each others' lives are going.

Sam and I share mons as a hobby so we both know the details of it and can rant about stall to each other and so forth. Pokémon was a part of a lot of twenty-somethings' childhood so a SO should at least understand the appeal you've stuck around for. Someone too narrowminded to accept mons as your hobby might not be the right person for you.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Conversation not too long ago:

Parents: Do you like boys?
Me: Angry face
Parents: Oh sorry we didn't know because you don't seem to be interested in girls either.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
In my opinion, I don't think you should have a serious boyfriend/girlfriend if you don't consider them your best friend. Relationships are about being able to completely be yourself around them; not hiding anything. You should definitely be comfortable about anything & everything with your partner. When your best friend is also your relationship partner, you guys can engage in your shared hobbies together in a much casual way, be silly & laugh alongside one another whenever something embarrassing happens to either of you (like sex for instance; if you're not comfortable and can't be silly with your partner boy do I have some bad news for you because so many embarrassing things such as weird sounds happen during sex that its way better for you two to just laugh it off), and have much meaningful conversations with them other than the standard texting "I love you", "hey what's up?" kind of messages. You'll have much more fun if you're just that much closer with the love of your life. As for the question pertaining to your significant other knowing if you play Pokemon, if you have to hide anything from your partner because you don't want them to look at you differently then you shouldn't be dating them, simple as that. You don't have to state how frequently you play the game or try to persuade them to play it as well, but if for instance your partner visits you while you're at home unexpectedly and sees a Pokemon battle going on in your laptop screen just explain that you play it to them. They won't care, just like how you don't let any of their recreational hobbies cause you to look at them differently.

The magical thing about relationships is that its an unbreakable bond between two lovers who would sacrifice anything to make the other happy. Being able to be selfless such that you put the desires of your significant other before your own. Too frequently I have heard depressing break up stories from others & the events leading up to the break up, and by far the most common reasons weren't that they cheated or were disappointingly mediocre during sex or anything of that sort, its usually the lack of communication. Only talking about whats going on in YOUR life, completely ignoring your the things going on in your partner's life, not showing them much attention because you can't sacrifice any of your time because you're that busy... these can all lead to broken relationships, or even worse, relationships where one partner is devoid of love from the other but doesn't want to let go because they think their partner will change overtime like how they were in the beginning while the other person just doesn't care, which just leads to emotional trauma later on eventually.

Do everything with your girlfriend/boyfriend to keep the relationship exciting! The spark in your love will eventually wane if you two just go through the same daily routine that you can't seem to break out of (yes this pertains even to you Smogon users that are over the age of 30, marriage/dating seems to be no fun once you stop trying new things). Traveling together to different places is perhaps one of the most popular things couples love to do together. You can also attend parties together where you guys can have fun being silly dancing drunk with each other, buying something really special for them out of the blue and just see their entire face light up, have sex in risky places discreetly in public in a "heat of the moment" thing so you two can always have something to talk about & laugh together for the rest of your lives. Every couple loves having dirty secrets. Even the little things for you elderly married Smogonites out there, like randomly surprising your partner at work with food and a love note can make their whole day.

I've been dating this amazing woman for the past 3 years and I couldn't be happier; even when my life by itself is stressful as hell being with her just makes me so content and I always feel like everything is going to turn out just okay because of her, and she feels the same way as well.

http://i.imgur.com/SlklgAC.jpg das a pic of my gf for all you creepy fucks asking me how hot my gf is on PS all the damn time
http://i.imgur.com/mzRyJF6.jpg das a qt pic of us two together ^_^

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
WECAMEASROMANS Btw I love that band.

I agree with everything you have said. To truly be dating one another you must be each other's best friend

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)