SM OU MegaCross Offense

Introduction

With the release of SM I have decided to give competitive play another shot. I used to play a lot of Stall in XY OU before ORAS and I played a little PU during ORAS era.
Since I wanted to play something other than stall this time I decided to use MegaMetagross as the star of my team. It is currently the best mega in the metagame so it seemed like an obvious choice for a wincon.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
The wincon for my team. A very standard MegaMetacross set that is everywhere in the current meta. Due to lack of a set up move and huge weakness to any status except poison I generally take very little risks in bringing Metagross out before I am convinced it's safe and it can at least put some dents in the opposing team if not straight up win the game.
However MegaMetagross is not perfect and needs to run a coverage move in the last slot depending on what I want it to beat. Between the choice of Bullet Punch, Thunder Punch and Ice Punch I chose Ice Punch because it's fast enough to not rely that much on priority, especially with Tapu Lele being a dominant force on the metagame. Because I choose to run Magnezone as support for Metagross running Thunderpunch is not necessary as Magnezone will take care of steel types that Metagross cannot get past easily.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
Magnezone has exactly 1 purpose in the team, trapping and getting rid of steel types that Metagross has trouble getting past when running Ice Punch. These include Skarmory, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Celesteela and is capable or revengekilling Kartana without attack boosts.
All these threats Magnezone needs to remove are slow enough that I can afford to run Specs instead of Scarf to OHKO these pokemon and still do sizable damage to anything else.
Unfortunately in matches where these steel types don't exist Magnezone easily finds itself being dead weight on the team. This is also true after the mentioned steel types are removed by Magnezone. I am usually locked on Hidden Power Fire or Thunderbolt, giving the opponent momentum as I am forced to switch out or let Magnezone get KO'd.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog
While my team is not very vulnerable to hazards I consider it important to have the ability to control hazards with Defog. Fortunately Zapdos is useful for so much more than Defog and it usually manages to successfully spread paralysis around with Discharge. I run Hidden Power Ice instead of Heat Wave because Magnezone is usually able to handle those pokemon Heat Wave would be strong against. Hidden Power Ice also hits ground types super effectively who would normally enjoy switching into Zapdos, making them think twice before doing so. Zapdos has a useful typing including the immunity to ground that both Magnezone and Metagross hate.
I run Pressure instead of Static because Static is illegal with Defog.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance
Garchomp is what I mostly use to lead and put out Stealth Rock on the field. Outside of Rocks it has a useful ability in Rough Skin, punishing the user of U-Turn and breaking the opposing Focus Sash. Swords Dance lets Garchomp sweep weakened teams later in the game. Lum Berry is used to absorb status, especially sleep to ensure I can use Stealth Rock and it allows me to safely set up a Swords Dance against Scald users. However unlike XY this metagame doesn't seem to favor many sleep using leads and the majority instead uses Rocky Helmet Landorus which Garchomp is can safely set Stealth Rock against. Because of this I have consider alternative items such as Focus Sash, Yache Berry or Leftovers.
I do not use Garchomp as a suicide lead because of its usefulness lategame so I try to keep it healthy.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak
Muk-Alola has a specific purpose. It is able to safely switch into Tapu Lele, the best pokemon in the metagame, and force it out. Knock Off is a strong stab move with the added chance to poison. Few things are willing to switch into it. Pursuit is used to trap weakened pokemon who cannot deal with Muk. Unfortunately Muk doesn't hit very hard without investment so they need to be low on health for this to work. Poison Jab is a guaranteed OHKO on Tapu Lele after Stealth Rock, forcing it out. Shadow Sneak is the only source of priority in my team and has proved valuable several times where I would have lost otherwise.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom Wash was one of the most common pokemon in the XY metagame and I have a lot of experience using it. It brings valuable momentum for the team and Volt Switch makes the enemy think twice before bringing in their steel type to not give Magnezone a free trap kill. Having access to Levitate makes the team have 2 ground immune pokemon that Metagross and Magnezone are weak to, providing many free switch opportunities.

Conclusion

This is the 3rd version of this team and I have been generally happy with it but there are some problems I am aware of but cannot find a solution for.

Tapu-Bulu can break past a majority of my team and nothing can switch in without taking major damage. Muk can deal with Bulu but cannot reliable switch into it's Wood Hammer.

Volcarona seems to be everywhere suddenly and I have very little answers for it. It completely walls and destroys Metagross and Magnezone, Muk can at best knock off its item and poison it and Zapdos just hopes to get lucky enough to paralyse it. I have no realible answer without relying on luck even if I have Stealth Rock up.

I'm also having big trouble recognizing the difference between a bad matchup and bad play. Knowing when the issue lies with my team and when it's my bad decisions is hard to see in this game.

I have tried my best to explain my choices regarding this team and what I have trouble with, but I believe I have reached a point where I need outside help to improve so I decided to create this RMT in hopes of showing me the holes in my team.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Does not have a pokemon with the scarf and without PKM able to Momentum, thePKM you listed for the team are strong, but I think you can make changes to improve the team

Tapu Fini-Zapdos (as already electro've Magnezone, can help against Charizard X and say that locks the game thanks to mock and gets from Status Assorber)

Tapu Lele Rotom-W (The best of M Metagross Partner and Tapu Lele, it is better to use it as a revenge killing)

You could also opt for Gliscor U-Turn for making momentum

u could use kartana with a life orb it outspeeds tapu bulu and resists both stabs also kills volcarona if u have psycho cut to avoid a burn and get up them beast boosts to wreak havok. i use this set:
Kartana @ life orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Brick Break
- Psycho Cut/ Night Slash
Absolutely one of my new faves of this gen also have a pheromosa set:
Pheromosa @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Att / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Me First
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
z me first doubles speed and does a z move off ur opponents move

If using Phero or Kartana, who should they be replacing in my team?
rotom wash or magnezone they have similar enough roles but pheromosais faster then magnezone and has a z move which your team notably lacks me first makes the attack do 1.5x attack anyways so the resulting z move will be incredible

and as much as i love rotom this team is mostly hyper offensive anyway so if u need a status crippler use toxic healbell chansey i love that thing

Yo nice Metagross team. Metagross is one of the best Pokemon in the current metagame. As well I like that you're using Magnezone to trap steel types for Metagross. Your team handles some of the threats in the Metagame like Mega Pinser and Tapu Lele, but struggle with some of the super common threats in the metagame like Mega Metagross, Greninja, and Tapu Koko. I am here to help fix these holes in the team.

>

First, I would suggest changing Tapu Fini > Zapdos. Since you already have Rotom+Magnezone to check Tornados-T and Mega Pinsir, another electric type isn't needed. Tapu Fini, on the other hand, provides you with a check to Ash Greninja and Zard X. As well still gives you hazard control in the form of Defog. Misty Terrain also protects Metagross and the rest of your from status conditions like scald burns. For the set, I would suggest a spread of 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe. 68 Spe allows you to Defensive Landorous-T's that are running 16 speed to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar. The defence investments give Fini enough mix bulk to deal with Ash Greninja and other common threats in the metagame. For the moves run Scald, Moonblast, Taunt, and Defog. Scald is a good stab that has a chance to burn Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, and Celesteela. Moonblast is a powerful secondary stab that hits Ash Greninja for super effective damage. Taunt is helping your team deal with stall better, as you can taunt your opponents Pokemon to stop them from recovering. Defog gives you a way to remove hazards. Something you might want to consider replacing Scald with Nature's Madness to do help against stall match up even more.

>

Second, you can change Scarf > Lum berry Lead . A small change that helps the team by giving the team a revenge killer, as a check to Volcarona which has recently been growing in popularity. Run max speed, max attack with a Jolly nature. The moves that you should run are Earthquake for a powerful stab that can hit Pokemon like Tapu Koko. Stone Edge to hit flying types and most importantly Volcarona. Dragon Claw for a secondary stab, but you can replace with other coverage moves. Outrage for a way for you to get a sweep with Garchomp after removing fairy and steel types with Magnezone and Metagross. Some other options for Garchomp are Poison Jab and Fire Blast/ Fire Fang over Dragon Claw. Poison Jab gives Garchomp a way to hit fairy types like Tapu Fini if you feel Metagross and Magnetozone aren't enough. Fire Blast/Fire Fang give Chomp a way to hit Steel-types like Ferrothorn if you feel Magnezone isn't working.

>

Another quick and small change is Assault vest > Specs Magnezone. Assault Vest allows your team to handle Tapu Koko better while still being able to trap and kill steel types that annoy Metagross. The Ev's spread haven't changed, and it's still 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe with a modest nature.

>

The final change I made was Defensive Rocky helmet Landorous-T > Alolan Muk . I noticed that the team was missing rocks, but also still a little weak to Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross. The Ev spread that I suggest 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe with an Impish nature. The speed investment allows you to outspeed Adamant max speed Tyranitar. The special defence investment allows you to avoid an OHKO from Tapu Koko's timid hp Ice from full and a 2HKO from Dazzling Gleam. So if you think Lando isn't needed, you can stay in on Tapu Koko and Earthquake it. The move set for Landorous-T is Stealth Rocks, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and U-turn. Stealth rocks are ideal for racking up ship damage when your opponent switches, especially on fire types like Volcarona and Charizard. Earthquake for a powerful stab that can hit Pokemon like Charizard X. Stone Edge gives you a way to hit flying types like Dragonite and Salamence. U-turn allows you to gain momentum. Some other options are Hp Ice over Stone Edge or Swords Dance. Hp ice allows you to hit other Landorous-T's that think they can wall you and then you can switch Ice Punch on Metagross to Bullet Punch for Pheremosa.

One last suggestion is Thunder Wave > Will-o-Wisp as it prevents Charizard X from setting up on Rotom, and it cripples Mega Metagross.

In conclusion, I feel the changes I've made, should allow this team to handle the current Metagame. When playing with this team, be careful around Protean Greninja as it might carry Gunk Shot for Tapu Fini. I hope I was able to help and if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to answer them.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Last edited:
Thanks for the RMT tankmonx.

I've been playing around a bit with the new and improve team it feels so much better and consistent. Scarfchomp has been the most positive surprise for me. It's insanely strong as a lategame cleaner.
One thing that has bothered me is how Tapu Finis ability is so counterproductive for using Scald, only being able to actually burn flying targets.
About Magnezone, I have not felt the actual impact of AV as in what sort of special moves it can take better, but so far it has proved to be just as useful at what it's supposed to do as the Specs set without being choice locked so I have really liked it.

I will play with the team more and see how it ends up going. From the matches I've already played it is clear way less games feel like they were already decided at match preview than before which was my number 1 issue so I'm very happy see improvement there.

Thanks for the RMT tankmonx.

I've been playing around a bit with the new and improve team it feels so much better and consistent. Scarfchomp has been the most positive surprise for me. It's insanely strong as a lategame cleaner.
One thing that has bothered me is how Tapu Finis ability is so counterproductive for using Scald, only being able to actually burn flying targets.
About Magnezone, I have not felt the actual impact of AV as in what sort of special moves it can take better, but so far it has proved to be just as useful at what it's supposed to do as the Specs set without being choice locked so I have really liked it.

I will play with the team more and see how it ends up going. From the matches I've already played it is clear way less games feel like they were already decided at match preview than before which was my number 1 issue so I'm very happy see improvement there.
Scald was mainly there since you mentioned Bulu as a threat. Which it obviously it, only bulky 4 X resists like Mega Scizor can take a Banded wood hammer from bulu. If you feel your comfortable playing around Bulu, you could change Scald to surf for a reliable water stab for ground types like Landorous-T, or fire types like Volcarona. Nature's Madness is also a useful option that halves the HP of bulkier Pokemon on the switch, and then you can taunt them from healing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)