OU Pyukumuku

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
QC: Gary / p2 / Colonel M
GP: P Squared

[OVERVIEW]
* With access to Unaware, reliable recovery, and good bulk, Pyukumuku is able to wall a large portion of setup sweepers in OU.
* Pyukumuku is the bulkiest Unaware user both physically and specially, which, combined with its typing, allows it to check threats that Quagsire and Clefable are unable to deal with, such as Z-Move Landorus-T, Alolan Marowak, and Manaphy.
* Pyukumuku also has access to Baton Pass, which can grant the user momentum when a foe that's completely walled moves first or switches out.
* Lack of any attacking moves makes Pyukumuku more passive than its counterparts. It has problems with Steel-types and Substitute users.
* Pyukumuku has great defensive capability, but it can still have trouble with hard-hitting Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Outrage Mega Charizard X, and Hoopa-U with any boosting item.

[SET]
name: Unaware Pivot
move 1: Recover
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Curse
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD

Moves
========
* Recover keeps Pyukumuku healthy over the duration of a long match so that it can wall the Pokemon it needs to.
* Toxic is Pyukumuku's best way to assert pressure and wear down the opponent's team.
* Curse allows Pyukumuku to bolster its defenses in order to take stronger hits and reduce the threat that flinches (such as from Zen Headbutt) pose to it. At +1 Defense, it isn't 2HKOed by a large majority of physical moves, including Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound's Hyperspace Fury.
* Baton Pass allows Pyukumuku to keep up momentum when something that forces it out switches in, as well as potentially pass Curse boosts to its teammates.

Set Details
========
* Pyukumuku's main role is to check threatening boosted attackers like Mega Charizard X and Swords Dance Landorus-T, so Unaware is the ability of choice. Unaware will allow it to check more than one of these attackers in the same battle rather than KOing just one of them with Innards Out.
* 252 HP and 28 Special Defense EVs give Pyukumuku enough special bulk to avoid a 2HKO from Modest Manaphy's Energy Ball and let Pyukumuku take Moonblasts from Calm Mind Tapu Lele. The rest is put into Defense to deal with threatening attackers such as Mega Charizard X and Alolan Marowak.
* Leftovers is crucial to avoiding a lot of 2HKOs.

Usage Tips
========
* Switch Pyukumuku into Pokemon that it walls, such as Mega Charizard X and Manaphy.
* Pyukumuku should be kept as healthy as possible, even upon switching out, so be sure to Recover when you expect the opponent to use an attack that will bring Pyukumuku into 2HKO range.
* Stealth Rock and Spikes prevent Pyukumuku from achieving some of the 2HKOs that it needs to, so keeping hazards off of the field with Magic Bounce or Defog is a top priority.
* Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone can't be touched by Pyukumuku, so if you expect one of these to switch in and Pyukumuku is healthy enough, Baton Pass can be used to maintain momentum. This is especially effective if you have a Dugtrio on your team.
* Pyukumuku can pass its Curse boosts off to its teammates in order to help them win matchups that are usually unfavorable. For instance, a Curse-passed Skarmory will be able to Whirlwind out a Swords Dance All-Out Pummeling Tapu Bulu or Kartana without fear of fainting or being severely weakened.

Team Options
========
* Pyukumuku should be run on stall teams that have issues with setup threats that can beat other Unaware users and threaten the entire team, like Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Landorus-T, Swords Dance Garchomp, and Hydro Vortex Manaphy.
* Mega Sableye is a usual partner for Pyukumuku, being able to keep hazards off of the field with Magic Bounce, which can help Pyukumuku survive the hits that it narrowly avoids 2HKOs from.
* Skarmory is a Defogger that has great synergy with Pyukumuku, as it can deal with its main weakness, strong Grass-type moves. Another Defogger is Zapdos, which can tank Grass-type moves and force Tapu Bulu out with Heat Wave.
* Dugtrio is Pyukumuku's best partner, since Pyukumuku can Baton Pass into Dugtrio to trap threats like Heatran and Tapu Lele without needing Dugtrio to take a hit or consume its Focus Sash.
* Amoonguss is another great partner for Pyukumuku, as it walls various foes that Pyukumuku gets forced out by like Electric-type Pokemon and Tapu Bulu. Hidden Power Ice is also extremely useful on an Amoonguss that's paired with Pyukumuku, as it allows it to take on the dangerous Substitute + Toxic Zygarde.
* Chansey and Blissey are also good partners to Pyukumuku, as they can come in on special Electric- and Grass-type attacks and heal the damage. They also have access to Heal Bell, which can cure Pyukumuku of annoying status conditions that render it useless. Calm Mind Blissey can receive Curse boosts from Pyukumuku, which makes it much harder to take down with physical attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
* Soak can be used to reduce the damage output of the opposing attacker by removing STAB, even on a critical hit. It can also be used to make Steel-type Pokemon susceptible to Toxic. However, this often gives the opponent a free turn to switch, get hazards, or just attack.
* Counter can be used to KO more quickly threats that are threatening to your team so that Pyukumuku doesn't risk a critical hit or flinch by recovering repeatedly. It also allows Pyukumuku to KO stallbreakers like Choice Band Hoopa-U. However, after a Counter, Pyukumuku will likely be too weak to do anything for the rest of the game, so against teams that have more than one attacker that Pyukumuku has to deal with, this isn't ideal.

Checks and Counters
========
**Grass-types**: Tapu Bulu is able to KO Pyukumuku with a powerful Grassy Terrain-boosted Wood Hammer or Horn Leech, and the Swords Dance All-Out Pummeling set can break through other stall team staples such as Toxapex and Skarmory. Other Grass-types like Kartana and Mega Venusaur can be equally problematic, especially since they're immune to Toxic.
**Electric-types**: Every Electric-type Pokemon in the tier can force out Pyukumuku, including attackers like Tapu Koko. Some Electric-types like Zapdos and Rotom-W also carry status moves that can cripple Pyukumuku.
**Steel-types**: Without Soak, Pyukumuku can't touch Pokemon like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone, and it will have to Baton Pass or switch out.
**Substitute Attackers**: Pyukumuku cannot do anything against them and will eventually be PP stalled out of Recover if it stays in on them.
**Sweepers with Mold Breaker**: Mega Gyarados can Taunt or Substitute on Pyukumuku and bypass its Unaware ability to deal significant damage. These types of foes are especially problematic for Pyukumuku compared to Quagsire, since it cannot fish for a Scald burn if Taunted.
**Status Users**: A statused Pyukumuku is ineffective at its role and will no longer be able to Recover stall the foes it needs to check. One example of a status user is Mega Sableye, which not only carries Will-O-Wisp but also can Magic Bounce a Toxic back on to Pyukumuku.
**Taunt**: Taunt makes Pyukumuku completely useless, as it then cannot use Recover on the Pokemon it's supposed to wall.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi. QC decided to only give Pyukumuku an analysis based on the success of its Unaware set, as its Innard's Out sets are very niche and have very little use on a serious team. Pyukumuku itself is very niche to defensive oriented teams, and Unaware lets it abuse its utility and above average bulk better than Innards Out, as it can eat up hits from dangerous sweepers such as Lando-T, Zard-X, Manaphy, and Alolan Marowak which can often give stall issues, so please remove the second set.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
I'm not sure, but is Soak worthy of being mentioned here? It can remove foe's STAB, decreasing their power and by extention, increasing Pyukumuku's longevity, and also, that'll allow Pyukumuku to use Toxic on Poison and Steel Pokemon like Toxapex or Heatran

I'm not sure, but is Soak worthy of being mentioned here? It can remove foe's STAB, decreasing their power and by extention, increasing Pyukumuku's longevity, and also, that'll allow Pyukumuku to use Toxic on Poison and Steel Pokemon like Toxapex or Heatran
I feel like Soak would be better than Curse, or at least is worth a slash if Curse is there.

It's probably going to need mutliple EV sets, as it can avoid 2HKOs from Adamant Marowak and scarfed Timid Lele (as long as rocks aren't up), but not both at the same time.

28 Special Defense EVs let it survive Modest Manaphy's Energy Ball.

Idk if is The optimal set, but i like running encore + Counter, helps to beat mega metagross way easier, just like mons that try to use substitute to wreck you like zygarde, soak+toxic is Nice too, i don't like baton pass that much.

Idk if is The optimal set, but i like running encore + Counter, helps to beat mega metagross way easier, just like mons that try to use substitute to wreck you like zygarde, soak+toxic is Nice too, i don't like baton pass that much.
Pyukumuku doesn't get Encore.

The way I see it Pyukumuku is good for pivoting and getting momentum off of things it walls with Baton Pass, kinda similar to the role Shedinja has on stall teams, although Pyukumuku doesn't require nearly as much support. It's also the bulkiest Unaware user overall. Curse Pass is another pretty interesting niche, but it doesn't really work on more stall oriented teams imo, as no mon on stall can sweep a team single-handedly, even with boosted stats, and if an opponent sets up alongside Pyukumuku the pass receiver needs to take a boosted hit too. With that said I think the set should prioritize Soak, as it lets you guarantee a Toxic on something so long as they don't have another Poison immunity to pivot out to (and if they do you can use Baton Pass). Curse seems like it would be only worth it if you have a dedicated pass receiver, which is often a lopsided fit on stall.

If there is another move to be mentioned I would consider Pain Split, as it can chunk basically everything immune to Toxic, like Celesteela, Heatran, Venusaur, Chansey, etc. Also lets you actually do something to Tapu Fini as it switches in. Pyukumuku's HP is only base 50 (same as Rotom-W) so although it's redundant with Recover it's still a valid means of healing and Pyukumuku doesn't really have any other options.

Pyukumuku doesn't get Encore.

The way I see it Pyukumuku is good for pivoting and getting momentum off of things it walls with Baton Pass, kinda similar to the role Shedinja has on stall teams, although Pyukumuku doesn't require nearly as much support. It's also the bulkiest Unaware user overall. Curse Pass is another pretty interesting niche, but it doesn't really work on more stall oriented teams imo, as no mon on stall can sweep a team single-handedly, even with boosted stats, and if an opponent sets up alongside Pyukumuku the pass receiver needs to take a boosted hit too. With that said I think the set should prioritize Soak, as it lets you guarantee a Toxic on something so long as they don't have another Poison immunity to pivot out to (and if they do you can use Baton Pass). Curse seems like it would be only worth it if you have a dedicated pass receiver, which is often a lopsided fit on stall.

If there is another move to be mentioned I would consider Pain Split, as it can chunk basically everything immune to Toxic, like Celesteela, Heatran, Venusaur, Chansey, etc. Also lets you actually do something to Tapu Fini as it switches in. Pyukumuku's HP is only base 50 (same as Rotom-W) so although it's redundant with Recover it's still a valid means of healing and Pyukumuku doesn't really have any other options.
Sry taunt is The move, idk why i was eith encore in my mind

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
I didn't expect such a wave of replies on something as niche as Pyukumuku! Thanks for all of your help, everybody. I'll try to respond in turn:

Hi. QC decided to only give Pyukumuku an analysis based on the success of its Unaware set, as its Innard's Out sets are very niche and have very little use on a serious team. Pyukumuku itself is very niche to defensive oriented teams, and Unaware lets it abuse its utility and above average bulk better than Innards Out, as it can eat up hits from dangerous sweepers such as Lando-T, Zard-X, Manaphy, and Alolan Marowak which can often give stall issues, so please remove the second set.
You're completely right. I was just spitballing because I've used Innards Out myself before and it performed well on the team that I was using, but I can see that it's useless on most builds. I removed the set. If you guys want me to put it in OO, just let me know.

Added into OO. It can help reduce the amount of damage you take from STAB moves in general and critical hits, but the consistency and utility that Curse offers (being able to take Thunder Punch from Mega Metagross or banded Hyperspace after boosting, synergy with Baton Pass) outweighs its usefulness. It's true that you can toxic Steel-type Pokemon with this move, but they'd be likely to switch out after getting that free turn that you spent Soaking them, and you'd rather be Baton Passing to something that can deal with steels most of the time.

It's probably going to need mutliple EV sets, as it can avoid 2HKOs from Adamant Marowak and scarfed Timid Lele (as long as rocks aren't up), but not both at the same time.

28 Special Defense EVs let it survive Modest Manaphy's Energy Ball.
Pyukumuku will never be able to reliably deal with Tapu Lele's Psychic while also walling the things it needs to for the stall teams it's going to be run on, not to mention that it can Thunderbolt, but it can take most other non boosted moves from it (the standard Psyshock/Moonblast/HP Fire is completely walled without Taunt, but Lele is a stallbreaker for a reason) while also taking all of Alolan Marowak's attacks.

The special defense EVs are good, given that Pyukumuku is one of stall's only stops to the dangerous Rain Dance Hydro Vortex Manaphy. While Energy Ball is not common on Hydro Vortex (Psychic usually being better because it can deal with Toxapex and Amoonguss), the ability to always live this will certainly make Pyuk a more consistent waller. Good job!

The two problems with taunt are 1) 4MSS, and 2) Zygarde (the threat you mentioned) can outspeed and Substitute or Toxic, meaning that it can switch out before Counter will do anything relevant to it. I did add Counter into OO for its ability to faint things like Mega Metagross instantly, though.

Here is the replay that the QC team showed to show off Baton Pass's function. If Magnezone or Heatran come in to try and take advantage of the Toxic immunity, Baton Pass into Dugtrio will make quick work of them and relieve an incredible load of pressure off of the stall team. Baton Pass is one of Pyukumuku's main niches as an Unaware waller.

Thanks for all of the help, and thanks for reading! Let me know if you guys have any more suggestions. Otherwise, this is QC ready.

EDIT: On Pain Split, I missed replying to this post, but Pain Splitting does not really fit into stall's game plan often. Toxic is enough to wear things down and you're gonna want reliable recovery and damage-soaking.

Last edited:
I know this is common knowledge, but you could add in the cons that Pyukumuku is completely shut down by Taunt and is walled and brings in any Subtitute user, though this can be somehow remedied by CursePass, but Sub users usually pack Toxic, which Pyukumuku hates.

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
I believe that Substitute is mentioned in both the cons and the Checks and Counters section already... as is Taunt.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In the overview, I know you point out that Pyuku can check a few more things than Quag and Clef can, but considering it's Pyuku, I think it would be smart to mention a few specifics. I know that you list a few in the set details, but I think it's more important to stress them in the overview so the reader can immediately have an idea of what Pyuku is good for. Manaphy is obviously a big one, pretty much every variant of Z move Lando-T, and Alolan Marowak.

Pyukumuku has great defensive capability, but it can still have trouble with hard-hitting Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Outrage Mega Charizard X, Z Move Landorus-Therian, or Hoopa-Unbound with any boosting item.
I'd remove Lando-T tbh. The only set that honestly gives Pyuku trouble is Adamant Earth Plate Lando-T, which is a very rare item on it atm especially with Adamant. While switching into Supersonic Skystrike isn't a good idea, it can easily tank a hit from it 1v1 and Recover off the damage, as it only does like 71% max iirc (Jolly is way more common), and then it basically can't touch Pyuku at all. Outrage Zard-X is also kinda iffy too, considering that it can stall out Outrage but can't switch in reliably, although it needs rocks to secure 2HKO. I guess you can keep it in there.

* Baton Pass allows Pyukumuku to keep up momentum when something that forces it out switches in, as well as pass potential Curse boosts to its teammates
Definitely mention Mega Sableye in team options for sure, because it's going to be used on stall teams most of the time and it can help keep hazards off the field. Skarmory is also a partner worth mentioning for Defog as well as tanking hits from Bulu and other Grasses.

Add Electric-types to C&C section, because pretty much every relevant Electric-type in the tier can take advantage of it and only really fear Toxic. Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Rotom-W are good examples, the latter two often carrying status moves to cripple it even further.

Other than that, this looks pretty good for never using the Unaware set before. Great job.

QC 1/3

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Purify could be listed in OO since it removes status conditions while also recovering 50% of its HP. Albeit it is a bit more unreliable compared to Recover.

in the overview you mention that he can check manaphy, but you can't even touch manaphy because of hydratation, i guess you can beat TG+3 attacks, but sets with RD are way more common.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Z-purify should be in oo. It raises all stats once which can be passed to a recipient. An explanation on why its niche (viable taunt users and phasers) would help explain why its not recommended to deviate from the norm when using it on stall but can provide minor value outside of the archetype.

Z-purify should be in oo. It raises all stats once which can be passed to a recipient. An explanation on why its niche (viable taunt users and phasers) would help explain why its not recommended to deviate from the norm when using it on stall but can provide minor value outside of the archetype.
Isn't that illegal due to Baton Pass clause? Even if it wasn't I would rather use something like Vaporeon for passing all stats since it can actually use the boosts.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Isn't that illegal due to Baton Pass clause? Even if it wasn't I would rather use something like Vaporeon for passing all stats since it can actually use the boosts.
Oops yeah i faced it in ubers so thats why it worked my bad.

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
in the overview you mention that he can check manaphy, but you can't even touch manaphy because of hydratation, i guess you can beat TG+3 attacks, but sets with RD are way more common.
It would be more appropriate to say "walls", yeah, but Pyukumuku hasn't got a problem PP stalling RD sets without Energy Ball (which I believe suboptimal on RD because it would be hard to break through stall staples like Haze Toxapex and Clear Smog Amoonguss, so if they're RD/Surf/Energy Ball you wouldn't even need Pyukumuku to beat Mana at all.) It takes 2-3 psychics to force a recover from Pyukumuku with Lefties as well as 2-3 Surfs in rain to do the same thing. Unless you are max rolling every attack, there are ample recovers to do this and have some left over. It can deal with RD Manaphy better than anything else on stall (that I can think of, incl. Chansey) because of this PP stall factor combined with the fact that it takes the unboosted Hydro Vortex easily due to its pure water typing.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For teammates for Curse you can mention Calm Mind Blissey because it can take advantage of those Defense boosts to become excruciating to face against. Skarmory and Mega Sableye are still solid to BP to, though. Can also add that Chansey can remove status with Aromatherapy (important if Pyukumuku is targeted by Toxic).

You can add Offensive Mega Venusaur in Grass-types for C&C because it's immune to Toxic and can just use Giga Drain or fish for Poison with Sludge Bomb. You can also add Mega Sableye in Status Users because it can deflect Toxic with Magic Bounce.

Another solid analysis.

3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

GP 1/1
how to implement a GP check

[OVERVIEW]
* With access to Unaware, reliable recovery, and good bulk, Pyukumuku is able to wall a large portion of setup sweepers in OU.
* Pyukumuku is the bulkiest Unaware user both physically and specially on both sides, which, combined with its typing, allows it to check threats that Quagsire and Clefable are unable to deal with, such as Z-Move Landorus-Therian, Alolan Marowak, and Manaphy.
* Pyukumuku also has access to Baton Pass, which can grant the user momentum when something a foe that's completely walled moves first or switches out.
* Lack of any attacking moves makes Pyukumuku more passive than its counterparts. It has problems with Steel-types and Substitute users.
* Pyukumuku has great defensive capability, but it can still have trouble with hard-hitting Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Outrage Mega Charizard X, and Hoopa-Unbound with any boosting item.

[SET]
name: Unaware Pivot
move 1: Recover
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Curse
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Leftovers
ability: Unaware
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD

Moves
========
* Recover keeps Pyukumuku healthy over the duration of a long match so that it can wall the Pokemon it needs to.
* Toxic is Pyukumuku's best way to assert pressure and wear down the opponent's team.
* Curse allows Pyukumuku to bolster its defenses in order to take stronger hits and reduce the threat that flinches (such as from Zen Headbutt) pose to it. At +1 Defense, it isn't 2HKOed by a large majority of physical moves, including Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound's Hyperspace Fury.
* Baton Pass allows Pyukumuku to keep up momentum when something that forces it out switches in, as well as potentially pass Curse boosts to its teammates.

Set Details
========
* Pyukumuku's main role is to check threatening boosted attackers like Mega Charizard X and Swords Dance Landorus-Therian, so Unaware is the ability of choice. Unaware will allow it to check more than one of these attackers in the same battle rather than KOing killing just one of them with Innards Out.
* 252 HP and 28 Special Defense EVs give Pyukumuku enough special bulk to avoid a 2HKO from Modest Manaphy's Energy Ball and help Pyukumuku take Moonblasts from Calm Mind Tapu Lele. The rest is put into Defense to deal with threatening attackers such as Mega Charizard X and Alolan Marowak.
* Leftovers is crucial to avoiding a lot of 2HKOs.

Usage Tips
========
* Switch Pyukumuku into Pokemon that it walls, such as Mega Charizard X and Manaphy.
* Pyukumuku should be kept as healthy as possible, even upon switching out, so be sure to Recover when you expect the opponent to use an attack that will bring you Pyukumuku into 2HKO range.
* Stealth Rock and Spikes prevent Pyukumuku from achieving resisting some of the 2HKOs that it needs to, so keeping hazards off of the field with Magic Bounce or Defog is a top priority.
* Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone can't be touched by Pyukumuku, so if you expect one of these to switch in and Pyukumuku is are healthy enough, Baton Pass can be used to maintain momentum. This is especially effective if you have a Dugtrio on your team.
* Pyukumuku can pass its Curse boosts off to its teammates in order to help them win matchups that are usually unfavorable. For instance, a Curse-passed Skarmory will be able to Whirlwind out a Swords Dance All-Out Pummeling Tapu Bulu or Kartana without fear of fainting dying or being severely weakened.

Team Options
========
* Pyukumuku should be run on stall teams that have issues with setup threats that can beat other Unaware users and threaten the entire team, like Mega Charizard X, Swords Dance Landorus-Therian/, Swords Dance Garchomp, (AC) and Hydro Vortex Manaphy.
* Mega Sableye is a usual partner for Pyukumuku, being able to keep hazards off of the field with Magic Bounce, (AC) which can help Pyukumuku live survive the hits that it narrowly avoids 2HKOs from.
* Skarmory is a Defogger that has great synergy with Pyukumuku, (AC) as it can deal with its main weakness, strong Grass-type moves. Another Defogger is Zapdos, which can tank Grass-type moves and force Tapu Bulu out with Heat Wave.
* Dugtrio is Pyukumuku's best partner, since Pyukumuku can Baton Pass into Dugtrio to trap threats like Heatran and Tapu Lele without needing Dugtrio to take a hit or consume its Focus Sash.
* Amoonguss is another great partner for Pyukumuku, as it walls various things foes that Pyukumuku gets forced out by like Electric-type Pokemon and Tapu Bulu. Hidden Power Ice is also extremely useful on an Amoonguss that's paired with Pyukumuku, as it allows it to take on the dangerous Substitute + Toxic Zygarde.
* Chansey and Blissey are also good partners to Pyukumuku, (AC) as they can come in on specially-based special Electric- and Grass-type attacks and heal them damage off. They also have access to Heal Bell, which can cure Pyukumuku of annoying status conditions that render it useless. Calm Mind Blissey can receive Curse boosts from Pyukumuku, which makes it much harder to take down with physical attacks.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
* Soak can be used to reduce the damage output of the opposing attacker by removing STAB, even on a critical hit. It can also be used to make Steel-type Pokemon susceptible to Toxic. However, this often gives the opponent a free turn to switch, get hazards, or just attack.
* Counter can be used to faint KO more quickly threats that are threatening to your team quicker, so that Pyukumuku doesn't risk a critical hit or flinch by recovering repeatedly. It also allows Pyukumuku to kill KO stallbreakers like Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound. However, after a Counter, Pyukumuku will likely be too weak to do anything for the rest of the game, so against teams that have more than one attacker that Pyukumuku has to deal with, this isn't ideal.

Checks and Counters
========

**Grass-types**: Tapu Bulu is able to kill KO Pyukumuku with a powerful Grassy Terrain-boosted Wood Hammer or Horn Leech, and the Swords Dance All-Out Pummeling set can break through other stall team staples such as Toxapex and Skarmory. Other Grass-types like Kartana and Mega Venusaur can be equally problematic, especially since they're immune to Toxic.

**Electric-types**: Every Electric-type Pokemon in the tier can force out Pyukumuku, including attackers like Tapu Koko. Some Electric-types like Zapdos and Rotom-W also carry status moves that can cripple Pyukumuku.

**Steel-types**: Things like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone. Without Soak, Pyukumuku can't touch Pokemon like Heatran, Kartana, and Magnezone them, and it will have to Baton Pass or switch out.

**Substitute Attackers**: Pyukumuku cannot do anything against them and will eventually be PP stalled out of Recover if it stays in on them.

**Sweepers with Mold Breaker**: Such as Mega Gyarados, which can use Taunt or Substitute on Pyukumuku and bypass its Unaware ability to deal significant damage. These types of foes are especially problematic for Pyukumuku compared to Quagsire, (AC) since it cannot fish for a Scald burn if Taunted.

**Status Users**: A statused Pyukumuku is ineffective at its role with any status afflicted onto it and will no longer be able to Recover stall the things foes it needs to check. One such example of a status user is Mega Sableye, which not only carries Will-O-Wisp, (RC) but can also can Magic Bounce a Toxic back on to Pyukumuku.

**Taunt**: Taunt makes Pyukumuku completely useless, (AC) as it then cannot use Recover on the Pokemon it's supposed to wall.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)