Ubers Kyurem-W

QC: Nayrz, Minority, Dominatio
GP: Fireflame479

[OVERVIEW]

* Kyurem-W is a powerful wallbreaker with a solid offensive typing.
* Ice STAB is largely unresisted by the Ubers metagame, which severely limits the amount of things that can switch into Kyurem-W when coupled with its coverage options.
* A base 95 Speed stat lets it edge out the crowded base 90 Speed tier, putting it ahead of Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Landorus-T.
* However, Kyurem-W is still relatively slow, and it is outsped by common threats such as Xerneas and Solgaleo while Speed tying with threats such as Rayquaza and Tapu Lele. It can use a Choice Scarf to improve its matchup against offensive teams, but in doing so it gives up much of its power.
* Kyurem-W has a Stealth Rock weakness and a vulnerability to all entry hazards, meaning that it can be difficult to bring into battle and absolutely necessitates hazard control.
* Due to its multitude of weaknesses and tendency to be worn down, it is easily revenge killed by Xerneas, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, or Arceus-Rock, and other Pokemon that can hit it super effectively, limiting its viability. A lack of resistances means that any reasonably powerful attacker can pick Kyurem-W off if it is worn down enough.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Fusion Flare
move 4: Roost / Earth Power
item: Life Orb
ability: Turboblaze
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Ice Beam is the Ice-type STAB move that Kyurem-W should typically be using, as it hits everything not resistant to it for decent damage.
* Draco Meteor is the strongest move on the set and deals severe damage to Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon.
* Fusion Flare hits the Steel-types that are resistant to both of Kyurem-W's STAB moves, namely Ferrothorn, Klefki, Magearna, Mega Scizor, Bronzong, Solgaleo, and Aegislash.
* Roost allows Kyurem-W to deal with the Life Orb recoil that wears it down as well as any other passive damage, such as entry hazards or Toxic.
* Earth Power is an option to hit Pokemon weak to Ground; although weaker than STAB Draco Meteor, it doesn't lower Special Attack, allowing for the 2HKO on Primal Groudon, Toxapex, and Dialga lacking Shuca Berry. It also lets Kyurem-W take down a weakened Primal Kyogre without forcing itself to drop its Special Attack.
* Focus Blast can be used in the last slot as a means of hitting Shuca Berry Dialga as well as Tyranitar.

Set Details
========

* Life Orb increases Kyurem-W's damage output significantly while not locking it into a move.
* Alternately, Choice Specs can be used to increase Kyurem-W's damage output further, but locks it into a move.
* Turboblaze is Kyurem-W's only ability and allows it to ignore abilities such as Sturdy, Levitate, or Multiscale.
* The EV spread simply maximizes speed and power.
* A Timid nature lets Kyurem-W always outspeed Pokemon with base 90 Speed while also Speed tying with other Pokemon with base 95 Speed, such as Rayquaza and Tapu Lele. A Modest nature can be used, but the loss in speed leaves Kyurem-W more vulnerable to certain Pokemon such as max Speed Primal Groudon.

Usage Tips
========

* Life Orb Kyurem-W forces foes to switch as it hits them with powerful attacks. It isn't extremely reliant on prediction, as most faster opponents take large damage from even resisted attacks.
* Typically, Ice Beam should be used frequently, as it hits many targets for decent damage, even Pokemon that are resistant to it.
* Be wary of using Draco Meteor, as opposing setup sweepers will take advantage of the Special Attack drop in order to sweep.
* Maintaining entry hazards is important, as Kyurem-W forces a lot of switches. If Stealth Rock or Spikes are up on the opponent's side, it makes switching in much more difficult for the opponent.
* Conversely, try and remove entry hazards before bringing in Kyurem-W, as it is vulnerable to all of them and will be easily worn down by them.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon is a great partner for Kyurem-W, checking Fairy-types like Xerneas and Steel-types like Solgaleo, as well as providing entry hazard and status support that makes Kyurem-W's job easier.
* Hazard control is very necessary, as without it, Kyurem-W is easily worn down by hazards and Life Orb recoil. Giratina-O or support Arceus formes are among the best choices for Defog users.
* Mega Gengar is a good partner that can Taunt to disrupt bulkier Pokemon that attempt to wall Kyurem-W, or simply trade with Destiny Bond.
* Magearna checks Fairy-types and Calm Mind users that tend to set up on Kyurem-W thanks to Heart Swap.
* Setup sweepers such as Arceus and Mega Salamence appreciate the wallbreaking Kyurem-W does to pave the way towards a sweep.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Earth Power / Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Ice Beam allows Kyurem-W to deal neutral or super effective damage to a large number of threats and revenge kill them, such as Rayquaza or Mega Salamence.
* Draco Meteor is the most powerful move and it's used when Kyurem-W needs the extra power to knock out a threat, although it halves your damage output afterwards.
* Fusion Flare hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn that resist Kyurem-W's STAB options.
* Earth Power hits Primal Groudon solidly while also doing damage to Tyranitar and non-Shuca Berry Dialga.
* Focus Blast deals much greater damage to Tyranitar and Dialga in exchange for neutral damage against Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

* Choice Scarf multiplies Speed by 1.5, putting it ahead of many unboosted threats, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, and all of Arceus formes.
* Turboblaze lets Kyurem-W bypass Lugia's Multiscale and Skarmory's Sturdy.
* The EV spread allows it to hit hard as possible and outspeed as many threats as it can.
* A Modest nature allows Kyurem-W to revenge kill threats while maintaining as much Special Attack as possible. A Timid nature can be used to always Speed tie or beat base 95s as well as always outspeed Deoxys-A and Pheromosa, but it experiences a significant drop in power.

Usage Tips
========

* Choice Scarf Kyurem-W should be used to outspeed and knock out faster, weakened threats.
* Ice Beam is a safe move to use, since relatively little Pokemon resist it, but oftentimes the extra power of Draco Meteor will be necessary.
* After using Draco Meteor, Kyurem-W becomes setup fodder for sweepers such as Arceus or Xerneas, so be careful about using it unless you have a solid answer to those sweepers.
* Keeping Stealth Rock up is important for wearing down switch-ins such as Blissey, Ho-Oh, and Arceus-Fairy.
* Oftentimes entry hazard removal is necessitated before bringing in Kyurem-W to force something out, as the damage really adds up.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon checks Fairy- and Steel-types that Kyurem-W cannot easily touch with its STAB moves as well as provides hazard support.
* A Defog user like Giratina-O or a support Arceus forme is very important to prevent Kyurem-W from taking unnecessary Stealth Rock damage.
* A teammate that can take down specially bulky threats such as Blissey or Ho-Oh can really help Kyurem-W's effectiveness. Some examples of this are Mega Gengar, Yveltal, or Mewtwo.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Expert Belt can be used to lure in Steel-types that think Kyurem-W is locked into Ice Beam and hit them super effectively. However, the overall loss of power is not worth it, as most of the time Kyurem-W's role is spamming its STAB attacks, not relying on its coverage.
* Icium Z can be used with Ice Burn for a one-time 200 Base Power Ice move, capable of OHKOing threats such as Xerneas and offensive Primal Groudon. In doing so, Kyurem-W gives up both a moveslot and an item slot, as Ice Burn is somewhat useless otherwise.
* Substitute + Roost can be used to get around status users, but with a Life Orb and entry hazard damage adding up, it tends to be worn down over time.
* Toxic can put troublesome walls such as Arceus-Fairy on a timer.
* Stone Edge can be used to remove Ho-Oh; however, it hits no other targets, and the moveslot would usually be better off as a different coverage move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-Types**: The Fairy-types in the tier pose a great threat to Kyurem-W, as many of them outspeed it and can hit it super effectively; however, they struggle to switch in safely. Xerneas needs to be careful as it's 2HKOed by Ice Beam from the Life Orb variant, and most Geomancy sets typically don't run enough Speed to outpace Kyurem-W. Arceus-Fairy is a very safe switch-in because it has a lesser chance of being 2HKOed by Ice Beam and can safely outspeed Kyurem-W and heal up or attack.

**Faster Attackers**: Kyurem-W struggles against teams with faster offensive Pokemon, such as Mewtwo, Mega Salamence, Deoxys-A, or Pheromosa, which can outspeed and KO Kyurem-W thanks to its average defenses and numerous weaknesses.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon with high Special Defense can take advantage of Special Attack drops from Draco Meteor to heal up against Kyurem-W. Primal Kyogre can status Kyurem-W and use Rest to prevent it from being worn out. Ho-Oh can tank Kyurem-W's moves and use Roost or hit it with a strong attack, although if Stealth Rock is up it absolutely can't switch in. Blissey can stomach nearly anything Kyurem-W can throw at it and heal off the damage; although it runs a risk of being 2HKOed by Choice Specs Focus Blast, this requires both proper prediction and hitting two Focus Blasts. Toxapex can Recover on a predicted Draco Meteor or simply switch out and heal thanks to Regenerator, although it somewhat fears Earth Power.

**Calm Mind users**: Pokemon with Calm Mind can set up on Kyurem-W and make it impossible for it to break through, especially if locked into Draco Meteor. Lunala and several Arceus formes are the most common Calm Mind users and can easily take Kyurem-W's Draco Meteors while healing, although Lunala can be worn down if not running Roost.

**Steel-Types**: Steel-types typically resist Kyurem-W's STAB moves and can hit back hard with their Steel attacks, although they need to be wary of Kyurem-W's coverage moves. Solgaleo can outspeed Kyurem-W and hit it hard with Sunsteel Strike, but it runs the risk of being OHKOed by Fusion Flare, and defensive variants are not bulky enough to avoid the 2HKO from Fusion Flare. Mega Lucario outspeeds Kyurem-W and can knock it out with Close Combat or Iron Tail, although it absolutely cannot switch in safely as it instantly falls to any of Kyurem-W's coverage moves, gets 2HKOed by Ice Beam from the Choice Scarf set, and can even be OHKOed by Draco Meteor if Kyurem-W runs a Modest nature and Life Orb. Mega Scizor can pick off Kyurem-W with Bullet Punch after some prior damage and can take either of its STAB attacks, although it is OHKOed by Fusion Flare. Magearna can hit Kyurem-W hard with Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon and can survive a Fusion Flare from full health. Klefki can take Kyurem-W's STAB moves and proceed to set up entry hazards, inflict status, or simply attack. Aegislash can easily take Kyurem-W's attacks, but it struggles to do much back, especially if Kyurem-W is running Roost. Other supportive Steel-types like Bronzong, Celesteela, and Ferrothorn can hit Kyurem-W super effectively but do relatively little damage and are easily taken advantage of by Kyurem-W's coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckw
I think this is QC ready. I am fairly new to this so be gentle. I don't really feel like Scarf or Life Orb are as good but if QC thinks they merit a full write-up I'll go ahead and do it.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Life Orb is better I'd say because being able to switch between Ice and Fire moves against all those new threats like Zygarde and Solgaleo is invaluable.

Iceium Z might be worthwhile too but some calcs against things like xern would have to justify it.

Mention CM poisonceus in c&c lol

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi!
"The remaining 4 EVs aren't in HP, letting Kyurem-W switch into Stealth Rock 4 times." I don't think you need to mention this.Lets see what QC has to say.
Also like Thugly Duckling mentioned, Life Orb is better on Kyurem-White since it allows you to change moves while still having enough power to OHKO the threats he also mentioned.
So, maybe add a Life Orb set too?

Life Orb is better I'd say because being able to switch between Ice and Fire moves against all those new threats like Zygarde and Solgaleo is invaluable.

Iceium Z might be worthwhile too but some calcs against things like xern would have to justify it.

Mention CM poisonceus in c&c lol
Added Life Orb. I mentioned CM arceus forms in general already so I don't see any point in mentioning poisonceus. Mentioned Icium Z + Ice Burn in OO, here's some calcs, just pulling from spreads already in the damage calc.

252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 152 HP / 44 SpD Groudon-Primal: 415-489 (109.4 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Xerneas: 406-478 (92.4 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Turboblaze Kyurem-White Subzero Slammer (200 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Dialga: 399-471 (99.2 - 117.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Nice.

I'd probably have the sets as LO and Scarf. Specs can see a mention in the Set Details for the Life Orb set. Being able to change attacks to use Fusion Flare at will is well worth the slight power loss. Choice Scarf is viable and helps with one of the biggest issues to Kyu-W - its matchup against offensive teams. Fast Ice Beams are pretty annoying to them, especially those using Arceus-Ground, although +1 Salamence is likely to EV to be faster than you. The information is fine, I'd just have different sets and see how it looks afterwards. Try and see if you can add anything good to the overview as well, and then QC can have a good look over it.

Made changes:
  • Added Choice Scarf
  • Removed Choice Specs, but added a mention under the Life Orb set details.
  • Padded out Overview a bit.

In C&C I'd mention what Fairy-types specifically and how Kyurem-W matches up against them (Xern can't switch in without being 2HKO and if its Geomancy its very likely slower, stuff like that). Apply this to the Steel-types as well.

Do this for QC 1/3

Can Dragon Pulse still be used on the set? I know it's a lot weaker than draco meteor, but at least it doesn't drop special attack and turn Kyruem-White into setup bait.

Can Dragon Pulse still be used on the set? I know it's a lot weaker than draco meteor, but at least it doesn't drop special attack and turn Kyruem-White into setup bait.
The main reason for using Draco Meteor is its high power, letting you take down threats you wouldn't be able to normally. Dragon stab has pretty redundant coverage with Ice anyways. Not only that but two Draco Meteors are stronger than two Dragon Pulses, and a -2 Draco Meteor isn't really that much weaker than a neutral Dragon Pulse. Seeing that Dragon Pulse has mostly inferior coverage to Ice Beam and you're going to always be clicking Ice Beam against anything that isn't Kyogre, Arceus-Water, or Arceus-Ice, the positives far outweigh the negatives when it comes to Draco Meteor.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Its typing gives it lots of weaknesses, including one to Stealth Rock. This means it is easily revenge killed by Xerneas, Mega Lucario, Mewtwo, or Arceus-Rock, among other things that can hit it super-effectively.
This sentence is fine, except I'm not sure why you single out Mewtwo since it doesn't have a type advantage and isn't the best Pokemon around. Essentially, why mention something like Mewtwo but not Pheromosa, or Mega Scizor?

Fusion Flare hits the Steel types resistant to the two STAB moves, namely Mega Scizor, Solgaleo, or Aegislash.
I'd order the target Steel-types as Ferrothorn, Klefki, Magearna, Mega Scizor, Bronzong, Solgaleo, and Aegislash.

A stallbreaker such as Yveltal or Mega Gengar can remove the Calm Mind users that Kyurem-W struggles to break through.
The CM users in Ubers are Arceus-Dark, Lunala, Primal Kyogre, Arceus-Rock, Arceus-Ice, and maybe Arceus-Ground, Arceus-Ghost, or Arceus-Fairy. Against most of these Yveltal and Mega Gengar do not matchup up very well. It's kinda misleading to say that these mons remove the CM users when they don't for the most part. Either provide an alternate reason as to why Yveltal and Mega Gengar are good partners or list things that do tackle CM users well.

Ice Beam allows Kyurem-W to deal neutral or super-effective damage to and revenge kill a large number of threats, such as Rayquaza or Shaymin-S.
Is Shaymin-S really the best example of an Ice Beam target? There are Pokemon that are used far more often that get smacked by Scarf Kyurem-W Ice Beam than Shaymin-S.

Choice Scarf multiplies Speed by 1.5x, putting it ahead of many unboosted threats.
What are the most important ones?

In usage tips you should mention the offense matchup for the Scarf set and how it should be played.

Fix these things and I will stamp.

Tweaks:
  • Removed mention of Mewtwo from Overview and replaced it with Pheromosa. Didn't mention Mega Scizor because it can't OHKO and gets OHKO'd in return so it's shakier than the other things I listed.
  • Changed Fusion Flare targets in general.
  • Removed that line about stalbreakers, but left Mega Gengar as a good partner. Added Magearna as a good partner cause it can check Xerneas, CM Darkceus, CM Rockceus, etc.
  • Removed mention of Shaymin-S and replaced it with the much more relevant Mega Salamence.
  • Listed the most relevant threats Scarf Kyurem-W can outspeed.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Why would I need Earth Power for Primal Groudon and Dialga when both are 2HKOed by Life Orb Ice Beam and are absolutely savaged by Draco Meteor, which I want to be spamming as much as possible. I don't actually understand why Earth Power is worth a slash as it hits very little in all honesty that the combination of Ice / Fire / Dragon doesn't already hit. At least Focus Blast has a legitimate use in dealing outright OHKOing Dialga and Tyranitar, and providing a means to pressure blobs heavier.

Why would I need Earth Power for Primal Groudon and Dialga when both are 2HKOed by Life Orb Ice Beam and are absolutely savaged by Draco Meteor, which I want to be spamming as much as possible. I don't actually understand why Earth Power is worth a slash as it hits very little in all honesty that the combination of Ice / Fire / Dragon doesn't already hit. At least Focus Blast has a legitimate use in dealing outright OHKOing Dialga and Tyranitar, and providing a means to pressure blobs heavier.
To be fair, if you're running Timid Life Orb you only have a 30% chance of 2HKOing Specially Defensive Primal Groudon with Ice Beam, and Draco Meteor isn't a guaranteed 2HKO either. On that set you could make a strong case for Earth Power as it's the only move that is guaranteed to 2HKO all variants of Primal Groudon. On a Modest set it doesn't matter as much (Ice Beam is nearly a guaranteed 2HKO and Draco Meteor always 2HKOs). Fair point about Dialga because that thing is always Shuca Berry and never runs enough bulk to avoid being 2HKO'd by Ice Beam. on Timid Kyurem-W Earth Power seems like a good choice though.

Ultimately it never really uses it's fourth move much anyways. The way I see it, you can have a move for the most common mon in the meta, or you can have a move that deals with some less common threats. Or you can have Roost which is the main slash lol.

* However, it is still relatively slow, and is outsped by common threats such as Xerneas and Solgaleo while tying with threats such as Rayquaza and Tapu Lele. This requires it to use a Choice Scarf to improve its matchup against offensive teams.
The end of this bullet needs to be reworded as the first set is Life Orb not Choice Scarf. The way you have it right now implies scarf is the preferred option a majority of the time.

* Sleep Talk can be used in the last slot to absorb sleep from Darkrai.
This isn't relevant anymore so remove this bullet.

There could be more Steel-types listed out in C&C, but otherwise nice job
QC 3/3

Last edited:
Sorry, that was completely my fault, I read that as "Pokemon that are Ground-types". ignore that part

Last edited:
This also starts off by overselling the mon.

You need to start with the most relevant aspect of Kyurem-W, which is its lack of defensive niche and requirement for large support. After that is fulfilled (in theory) you have a powerful wallbreaker that still has a few hard counters.

This also starts off by overselling the mon.

You need to start with the most relevant aspect of Kyurem-W, which is its lack of defensive niche and requirement for large support. After that is fulfilled (in theory) you have a powerful wallbreaker that still has a few hard counters.
I altered the tone of the overview to better reflect Kyurem-W's overall viability, listing more cons. I still think the first line of the overview should ultimately be the main reason to use the mon. But I further emphasized the stealth rock weakness by listing it second.

With that said all checks are done and this is GP ready.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

* Kyurem-W is a powerful wallbreaker with a solid offensive typing.
* It has a Stealth Rock weakness and a vulnerability to all hazards, meaning that it can be difficult to bring into battle and absolutely necessitates hazard control. (Moved this down. It went from Good -> bad -> more good -> more bad.)
* Ice STAB is largely unresisted by the Ubers metagame, which severely limits the amount of things Pokemon that can switch into it Kyurem-W when coupled with Kyurem-W's its coverage options.
* A base 95 Speed stat lets it edge out the crowded base 90 Speed tier, putting it ahead of Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Landorus-Therian Landorus-T.
* However, it Kyurem-W is still relatively slow, and it is outsped by common threats such as Xerneas and Solgaleo while Speed tying with threats such as Rayquaza and Tapu Lele. It can use a Choice Scarf to improve its matchup against offensive teams, but in doing so it gives up much of its power.
* Kyurem-W has a Stealth Rock weakness and a vulnerability to all entry hazards, meaning that it can be difficult to bring into battle and absolutely necessitates hazard control.
* Due to its multitude of weaknesses and tendency to be worn down, it is easily revenge killed by Xerneas, Mega Lucario, Pheromosa, or Arceus-Rock, and among other things Pokemon that can hit it super-(RH)effectively, limiting its viability. A lack of resistances means that any reasonably powerful attacker can pick it Kyurem-W off if Kyurem-W it is worn down enough.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 4: Roost / Earth Power
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Ice Beam is your the Ice-type STAB move,(RC) and that Kyurem-W should typically be using,(AC) this as it hits everything (technically it doesn't hit everything for decent damage, so you could say "everything not resistant to it" or something along those lines) for decent damage.
* Draco Meteor is the strongest move on the set,(RC) and deals severe damage to Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon.
* Fusion Flare hits the Steel-types that are resistant to the two both Kyurem-W's STAB moves, namely Ferrothorn, Klefki, Magearna, Mega Scizor, Bronzong, Solgaleo, and Aegislash.
* Roost allows Kyurem-W to deal with the Life Orb recoil that wears it down,(RC) as well as any other passive damage,(AC) such as entry hazards or Toxic.
* Earth Power is an option to hit Pokemon weak to Ground;(add semicolon) although.(remove period) Although weaker than STAB Draco Meteor, it doesn't lower Special Attack, allowing for the 2HKOing of 2HKO on Primal Groudon, Toxapex, and Dialga lacking Shuca Berry. It also lets you Kyurem-W take down a weakened Kyogre (if you're talking about Primal Kyogre then write "Primal Kyogre" instead) without forcing yourself itself to drop your its Special Attack.
* Focus Blast can be used in the last slot as a means to hit of hitting Shuca Berry Dialga as well as Tyranitar.

[remove line break]
Set Details
========

* Life Orb increases Kyurem-W's damage output significantly while not locking it into a move.
* Alternately, Choice Specs can be used to increase Kyurem-W's damage output further,(AC) but locks while locking it into a move.
* Turboblaze is Kyurem-W's only ability.(remove period) It and allows Kyurem-W it to ignore abilities such as Sturdy, Levitate, or Multiscale.
* The given EV spread simply maximizes Speed and power.
* A Timid nature lets Kyurem-W always outspeed pokemon Pokemon with base 90 base Speed,(RC) while also Speed tying with other Pokemon with base 95 base Speed, ("base" goes before the number) such as Rayquaza or and Tapu Lele. A Modest nature can be used, but the loss in speed is leaves it Kyurem-W more vulnerable to certain things Pokemon (give examples).
* The EV spread simply maximizes speed and power. (it was very awkward down here)

Usage Tips
========

* Life Orb Kyurem-W forces opponents foes to switch as you hit it hits them with powerful attacks. It isn't extremely reliant on prediction,(AC) as most faster opponents take large damage from even resisted attacks.
* Typically, Ice Beam should be used frequently,(AC) as it hits many targets for decent damage, even Pokemon that are resistant to it resists.
* Be wary of using Draco Meteor, as opposing setup sweepers will take advantage of the lowered Special Attack drop in order to sweep.
* Maintaining entry hazards is important, as Kyurem-W forces a lot of switches. If Stealth Rock or Spikes are up on the opponent's side,(AC) it makes switching in that much more difficult for the opponent.
* Conversely, try and remove entry hazards before bringing in Kyurem-W, as it is vulnerable to all of them and will be easily worn down by them.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon is a great partner for Kyurem-W, checking Fairy-types like Xerneas,(RC) and Steel-types like Solgaleo,(RC) as well as providing entry hazard and status support that makes Kyurem-W's job easier.
* Hazard control is very necessary, as without it, Kyurem-W is easily worn down by hazards and Life Orb recoil. Giratina-O or a support Arceus formes set are among the best choices for Defog users.
* Mega Gengar is a good partner that can use Taunt to disrupt and foil bulkier pokemon Pokemon (I'm assuming this is what you meant, otherwise change it to what you wanted. Saying "foil" is very unclear. Change this to reflect what Mega Gengar does specifically) that attempt to wall Kyurem-W, or simply trade with Destiny Bond.
* Magearna checks Fairy-types and Calm Mind users that tend to set up on Kyurem-W thanks to Heart Swap.
* Setup sweepers such as Arceus or and Mega Salamence appreciate the wallbreaking Kyurem-W does to pave the way towards a sweep.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Earth Power / Focus Blast
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Ice Beam allows Kyurem-W to deal neutral or super-(RH)effective damage to and revenge kill a large number of threats and revenge kill them, such as Rayquaza or Mega Salamence.
* Draco Meteor is the most powerful move,(RC) and it's used when you need Kyurem-W needs the extra power to knock out a threat, although it halves your damage output afterwards.
* Fusion Flare hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn,(RC) that resist Kyurem-W's STAB options.
* Earth Power hits Primal Groudon solidly while also doing damage to Tyranitar and non-Shuca Berry Dialga.
* Focus Blast deals much greater damage to Tyranitar and Dialga in exchange for neutral damage against Primal Groudon.

Set Details
========

* Choice Scarf multiplies Kyurem-W's Speed by 1.5x 1.5 (1.5x implies the multiplication. You can say "Choice Scarf multiplies Kyurem-W's Speed by 1.5, or you could say "Choice Scarf gives Kyurem-W 1.5x Speed), putting it ahead of many unboosted threats, such as Mega Salamence, Mega Lucario, and all forms of Arceus formes.
* Turboblaze lets Kyurem-W bypass Lugia's Multiscale or and Skarmory's Sturdy.
* The EV spread allows it to hit hard as possible and outspeed as many threats as it can.
* A Modest nature allows Kyurem-W to revenge kill threats while maintaining as much Special Attack as possible. A Timid nature can be used to always Speed tie or beat base 95s,(RC) as well as always outspeed Deoxys-A and Pheromosa, but it experiences a significant drop in power.

Usage Tips
========

* Choice Scarf Kyurem-W should be used to outspeed and knock out faster, weakened threats.
* Ice Beam is a safe move to use,(AC) since relatively little Pokemon resist resists it, but oftentimes the extra power of Draco Meteor will be necessary.
* After using Draco Meteor, Kyurem-W becomes setup fodder for sweepers such as Arceus or Xerneas, so be careful about using it unless you have a solid answer to those sweepers.
* Keeping up Stealth Rock up is important for wearing down switch-ins such as Blissey, Ho-oh Ho-Oh, and Arceus-Fairy.
* Oftentimes entry hazard removal is necessitated before bringing in Kyurem-W to force something out, as the damage really adds up.

Team Options
========

* Primal Groudon checks Fairy- and Steel-types that Kyurem-W cannot easily touch with its STAB moves,(RC) as well as provides hazard support.
* A Defog user like Giratina-O or an a support Arceus forme is very important to prevent Kyurem-W from taking unnecessary Stealth Rock damage.
* A teammate that can take down specially bulky threats such as Blissey or Ho-oh Ho-Oh can really help Kyurem-W's effectiveness. Some examples of this are Mega Gengar, Yveltal, or Mewtwo.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Expert Belt can be used to lure in Steel-types who that think you are Kyurem-W is locked into Ice Beam and hit them super-(RH)effectively. The However,(AC) the overall loss of power is not worth it, as most of the time Kyurem-W's role is spamming its STAB attacks, not relying on its coverage.
* Icium Z can be used with Ice Burn for a one-time 200 base power Base Power Ice move, capable of OHKOing threats such as Xerneas or and offensive Primal Groudon. In doing so, you give Kyurem-W gives up both a moveslot and an item slot, as Ice Burn is somewhat useless otherwise.
* Substitute + Roost can be used to get around status users, but with a Life Orb and entry hazard damage adding up, it tends to be worn down over time.
* Toxic can put troublesome walls such as Arceus-Fairy on a timer.
* Stone Edge can be used to remove Ho-Oh;(add semicolon) however.(remove period) However, it hits no other targets,(AC) and the moveslot would usually be better off as a different coverage move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-Types**: The Fairy-types in the tier pose a great threat to Kyurem-W, as many of them outspeed it and they can hit it super-(RH)effectively;(add semicolon) however.(remove period) However, they struggle to switch in safely. Xerneas needs to be careful,(AC) as it's 2HKO'd by Ice Beam from the Life Orb variant,(AC) and most Geomancy sets typically don't run enough Speed to beat outpace (Kyurem-W gets OHKOed anyway, and it can't OHKO Xerneas back, so beat isn't the right term) Kyurem-W. Arceus-Fairy is a very safe switch-in because it has less of a lesser chance at of being 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Ice Beam and can safely outspeed Kyurem-W and heal up or attack.

**Faster Attackers**: Kyurem-W struggles against teams with faster offensive Pokemon,(AC) such as Mewtwo, Mega Salamence, Deoxys-A, or Pheromosa, which can outspeed and KO Kyurem-W thanks to its average defenses and numerous weaknesses.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon with Recovery**: Pokemon with high Special Defense stats can take advantage of Draco Meteor Special Attack drops from Draco Meteor to heal up against Kyurem-W. Primal Kyogre can status Kyurem-W and use Rest to prevent it from being worn out. Ho-Oh can tank Kyurem-W's moves and use Roost up or hit it with a strong attack, although if Stealth Rock is up it absolutely can't switch in. Blissey can stomach nearly anything Kyurem-W can throw at it and heal off the damage;(add semicolon) although.(remove period) Although it runs a risk of being 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Choice Specs Focus Blast, this requires both proper prediction and hitting two Focus Blasts. Toxapex can Recover on a predicted Draco Meteor or simply switch out and heal thanks to Regenerator, although it somewhat fears Earth Power.

**Calm Mind users**: Pokemon with Calm Mind can set up on Kyurem-W and make it impossible for it to break through, especially if locked into Draco Meteor. Lunala and several Arceus formes are the most common Calm Mind users and can easily take Kyurem-W's Draco Meteors while healing, although Lunala can be worn down if not running Roost.

**Steel-Types**: Steel-types typically resist Kyurem-W's STAB moves and can hit back hard with their Steel attacks, although they need to be wary of Kyurem-W's coverage moves. Solgaleo can outspeed Kyurem-W and hit it hard with Sunsteel Strike, but it runs the risk of being OHKO'd OHKOed by Fusion Flare,(AC) and defensive.(remove period) Defensive variants are not bulky enough to avoid the 2HKO from Fusion Flare. Mega Lucario outspeeds Kyurem-W and can knock it out with Close Combat or Iron Tail, although it absolutely cannot switch in safely,(AC) as it instantly falls to any of Kyurem-W's coverage moves,(AC) gets 2HKOed by Ice Beam from the Choice Scarf set,(AC) and can even be OHKO'd OHKOed by Draco Meteor if Kyurem-W runs a Modest nature and Life Orb. Choice Scarf is similar, as even Ice Beam has a chance at 2HKOing Mega Lucario. (flows better) Mega Scizor can pick off Kyurem-W with Bullet Punch after some prior damage and can take either of its STAB attacks, although it is OHKO'd OHKOed by Fusion Flare. Magearna can hit Kyurem-W hard with Fleur Cannon or and Flash Cannon and can live survive a Fusion Flare from full health. Klefki can take Kyurem-W's STAB moves and proceed to set up entry hazards, inflict status, or simply attack. Aegislash can easily take Kyurem-W's attacks, but it struggles to do much back, especially if Kyurem-W is running Roost. Other supportive Steel-types like Bronzong, Celesteela, or and Ferrothorn can hit Kyurem-W super effectively but do relatively little damage and are easily taken advantage of by Kyurem-W's coverage.[/USER]
GP 1/1

"Super effective" should be written without a hyphen
OHKOed and 2HKOed, NOT OHKO'd and 2HKO'd.
Try to talk about Kyurem-W instead of "you", e.g. "Kyurem-W should use..."
I think you slightly mix up "and" vs. "or":
Icium Z can be used with Ice Burn for a one-time 200 base power Base Power Ice move, capable of OHKOing threats such as Xerneas or and offensive Primal Groudon
Z-Ice Burn can OHKO both Xerneas and Primal Groudon, so you use "and". Or is for choice. Z-Ice Burn doesn't OHKO Xerneas OR Primal Groudon, it OHKOes both. If both of what you're talking about applies to preceding statements, "and" should be used.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)