Battle Spot Mega Beedrill Test

INTRODUCTION

Greetings friends! TH638 here, bringing you my next BSS RMT. As the name suggests, the team is centered around Mega Beedrill, who greatly enjoys the update to Mega Evolution, being able to forgo Protect for more valuable moves. Without further ado, let's get into the team.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

The team is, as said before, centered around Mega Beedrill.

Tapu Fini covers Mega Beedrill's vulnerability to Fire-type attacks, especially those from Mega Charizard X, plus it can hold its own against Mega Salamence with the defensive spread I've used.

I didn't feel like Tapu Fini dealt with Mega Salamence too well, so I picked up Assault Vest Rhyperior, who also fares well against Aegislash, Cresselia, and puts pressure on Mimikyu thanks to Rock Blast.

Tapu Bulu was a huge threat, so I picked up Policy Aegislash. I know he's boring, but he's so darn good.

Dragonite completed the Dragon-Fairy-Steel core, and it fares sort of well with Celesteela with Dragon Dance.

The team was weak against Mamoswine and had trouble with Mega Kangaskhan, so I picked up Defensive Buzzwole.

THE TEAM

Beedrill@Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Moves:
-U-turn
-Poison Jab
-Knock Off
-Drill Run
dmg
I think Beedrill has a lot of potential now with the addition of the Tapu family and the update to Mega Evolution. U-turn and Poison Jab are standard and do a lot to anything that doesn't resist them. Knock Off deals with Ghost and Psychic types, or opponents that rely on held items such as Porygon2 and Alolak. Drill Run deals with Fire and Steel types, most notably Heatran and Aegislash. Maximum Speed and Attack along with a Jolly nature allow Mega Beedrill to hit as hard and as fast as possible, and 4 HP EVs hit a Stealth Rock number.

Tapu Fini@Icium-Z
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Moves:
-Nature's Madness
-Surf
-Moonblast
-Haze
couldn't find a thing to write here
Tapu Fini is my weapon against ZardX, Mega Salamence and, to some extent, Aegislash. Nature's Madness heavily cripples and mon that lacks a recovery move, especially being hurtful to Aegislash and Celesteela switchins. Surf and Moonblast are there for STAB, and Haze is used to render setup efforts useless, not to mention use Z-Haze to fully restore HP for one time, lenghtening Fini's longevity. Maximum Defense and HP is used to stomach as many hits as possible.

Rhyperior@Assault Vest
Brave Nature
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 SpD
Moves:
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Horn Drill
that rng tho
Rhperior can take on many threats such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, and to some extent, Mimikyu and Aegislash. Rock Blast helps Rhyperior break through Focus Sashes, Substitutes and Disguise. Earthquake is Earthquake, Ice Punch is necessary vs. Landorus-T, Mega Salamence and Tapu Bulu switchins and Horn Drill is crucial vs. Cresselia and Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip or Substitute. Max SpD and an Assault Vest along with Solid Rock as an ability make Rhyperior very bulky on the special side, and max Atk helps him hit as hard as possible. Brave is used instead of Adamant to underspeed even 0 IV Quiet Aegislash so that Rhyperior can use EQ on his Blade Forme.

Aegislash@Weakness Policy
Quiet Nature, 0 Spe IVs
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD
Moves:
-King's Shield
-Flash Cannon
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
any bss player's must have honestly
The one liner says it all. Aegislash is simply too good to pass up! I used Flash Cannon instead of Sacred Sword to deal with Tapu Bulu and other Fairy types that cause trouble. Quiet nature along with 0 Spe IVs make him as slow as possible in order to move after opposing Aegislash, while max SpA and HP allow for maximum bulk an damage output.

Dragonite@Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Moves:
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Punch
-Outrage
-Extreme Speed
he can't use altarianite?!
This is the guy that takes on Celesteela should the thing not run Substitute. Dragon Dance allows Dragonite to sweep, Fire Punch is used to hit Celesteela and Mimikyu since the two other moves don't hit the latter, Outrage for very high damage, and Extreme Speed for revenge killers and frail mons. Multiscale helps Dragonite set up or revenge kill, while Lum Berry foils Burn and Paralysis plans. Max Atk and Spe is obvious for a DD sweeper, and Adamant is used for high damage even before setting up.

Buzzwole@Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
EVs: 88 HP/ 12 Atk/ 172 Def/ 236 SpD
Moves:
-Roost
-Toxic
-Hammer Arm
-Earthquake
FLEX(2)
A defensive Buzzwole is one of the best answers to Mega Kangaskhan and Mamoswine, so I went with it also because he's my favorite mon this Gen. Roost gives him much needed recovery, Toxic is used to stall out enemies, Hammer Arm is STAB and Earthquake helps against Aegislash. The HP and Defense EVs along with an Impish nature allow Buzzwole to take 2 unboosted Double-Edges from Mega Kangaskhan, allowing him to stall her along with Rocky Helmet. 12 Atk EVs guarantee an OHKO on uninvested Hydreigon should it come down to that, and the rest is dumped into SpD to make him more bulky on the special side.

THREATLIST

red: it's about to get real
purple: annoying if faced, though could be dealt with
blue: moderately annoying

Since most Celesteela come armed with Leech Seed and/or Substitute, there isn't much of a way to break past this one in my team except Rhyperior. Dragonite attempts to overpower it, but gets worn down heavily in the process.

I don't know what Game Freak was thinking when they made this thing, but it is made and it's trouble. Mimikyu, be it armed with a Focus Sash or a Z-Crystal is a nuisance. Rhyperior falls to a +2 Z-Move and his Rock Blast has a very low chance of OHKOing; it has to be 5 hits and even then it has a measly 65% chance. Beedrill is blown away by Shadow Claw+Shadow Sneak, and Aegislash has to win a major mind game. Tapu Fini can Haze it and wear it down a little, but in the end it too falls against this thing.

You simply can't win against Gliscor if you are slower than him and don't have a sound move or Infiltrator; a turn behind Substitute and another behind Protect heals out the Substitute damage. If it wasn't so uncommon then this would definitely be red, and when it does show up I'm completely screwed unless I catch him with a Knock Off on the switchin with Beedrill.

Even though Beedrill deals with this, I don't have a safe switchin to Tapu Koko unless my opponent screws up the prediction. Rhyperior takes a lot from Grass Knot and Dragonite has to be sent out directly against him without being hit. Team Preview plays a huge part here.

Garchomp causes some annoyance if he packs Fire Blast. Tapu Fini and Buzzwole deal with him, but they have to take some damage before he's gone.

Similar to Gliscor, a major factor in Greninja being down here is his mysterious disappearance from BSS, at least on the console. If he doesn't pack Gunk Shot then it's an easy win for Tapu Fini, but it's trouble if he does. You'll have to rely on Gunk Shot's shaky accuracy.

CONCLUSION
The threatlist of this team bothers me a bit. I've recently been running into a lot of Fairium-Z Mimikyus and they all decimated my team. I tried to reconstruct this team but I simply can't find any replacements. Leave your thoughts and advice down below because it's very valuable. Other than that, the team fares well against most other teams.

Hi dude, it's cool to see people trying to make underused mons such as Mega Beedrill work.
I have to say that at glance i like the team and how you built it. I'm going to try to help to deal a little better with that threatlist.

Before getting started, i have to say that your whole team looks weak to the combination of Stealth Rock + Mega Charizard Y. With Stealth Rock up Charizard can take out all of your mons: Solar Beam for Fini and Rhyperior. Yeah it ohkoes AV Rhyperior with SR support [252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 180-213 (94.2 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock]; Fire-stab for your mega, Buzz and Aegislash and Hidden Power Ice for Dnite.

So, a good starting point could be adding Taunt on Fini and raising its speed to 125 in order to always outspeed Celesteela. This would help vs Celesteela, Taunting it before the seeds, vs the typical Rocks setters such as Hippowdon and could even help vs Gliscor (outspeeding Gliscor really doesn't matter).
@ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Haze
- Taunt

After this, adding a bulky Heatran could help to deal with Celesteelas (that don't have Eq) even more, with Tapu Koko, Scarf Lele that threatens your Beedrill (yeah you already have Aegislash for it and for Fairies, but Aegi can't deal as fine as Heatran does vs Celesteela plus Heatran it is better versus Mimikyu) and especially it totally walls Charizard Y that lack HP Ground or Focus Blast (it won't be ohko'ed by neither of those attacks tho).
@ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 84 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume / Overheat
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute / Ancient Power / Flash Cannon
- Protect / Ancient Power / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground / Taunt

This spread outspeeds Jolly Breloom, the rest is in bulk. It even does pretty fine vs mons such as P2, and your teams doesn't really have much for it outside of Horn Drill, since p2 can take those Hammer Arms from your bulky Buzzwole, while using Recover waiting for Buzz to be at -2/-3 before attacking.

At last, if you're still having Mimikyu problems, imo Scarf Excadrill could give you a fine weapon vs it, and could deal with Koko and Greninja that are not sashed too. While also being pretty good vs Charizard Y in an 1vs1 situation.
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 186-222 (141.9 - 169.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 218-260 (149.3 - 178%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 133-157 (90.4 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 236-280 (154.2 - 183%) -- guaranteed OHKO

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Horn Drill

I'm not really sure on who to remove for these two. I'd probably remove Aegislash for Heatran, that would definitely help even vs Mimikyu (outside of giving you a pretty decent check to Celesteela) and with Leftovers and Protect it won't be 2HKOed by Koko, OHKOing back with Overheat or 2HKOing with Lava Plume if you are not switching into a Thunderbolt.
I think that with Taunt on Fini and bulky Heatran you'd be good. If you are still having Mimikyu problems to try add Excadrill somewhere.

Last edited:
Hi dude, it's cool to see people trying to make underused mons such as Mega Beedrill work.
I have to say that at glance i like the team and how you built it. I'm going to try to help to deal a little better with that threatlist.

Before getting started, i have to say that your whole team looks weak to the combination of Stealth Rock + Mega Charizard Y. With Stealth Rock up Charizard can take out all of your mons: Solar Beam for Fini and Rhyperior. Yeah it ohkoes AV Rhyperior with SR support [252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Solid Rock Rhyperior: 180-213 (94.2 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock]; Fire-stab for your mega, Buzz and Aegislash and Hidden Power Ice for Dnite.

So, a good starting point could be adding Taunt on Fini and raising its speed to 125 in order to always outspeed Celesteela. This would help vs Celesteela, Taunting it before the seeds, vs the typical Rocks setters such as Hippowdon and could even help vs Gliscor (outspeeding Gliscor really doesn't matter).
@ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Haze
- Taunt

After this, adding a bulky Heatran could help to deal with Celesteelas (that don't have Eq) even more, with Tapu Koko, Scarf Lele that threatens your Beedrill (yeah you already have Aegislash for it and for Fairies, but Aegi can't deal as fine as Heatran does vs Celesteela plus Heatran it is better versus Mimikyu) and especially it totally walls Charizard Y that lack HP Ground or Focus Blast (it won't be ohko'ed by neither of those attacks tho).
@ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 84 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume / Overheat
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute / Ancient Power / Flash Cannon
- Protect / Ancient Power / Flash Cannon / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground / Taunt

This spread outspeeds Jolly Breloom, the rest is in bulk. It even does pretty fine vs mons such as P2, and your teams doesn't really have much for it outside of Horn Drill, since p2 can take those Hammer Arms from your bulky Buzzwole, while using Recover waiting for Buzz to be at -2/-3 before attacking.

At last, if you're still having Mimikyu problems, imo Scarf Excadrill could give you a fine weapon vs it, and could deal with Koko and Greninja that are not sashed too. While also being pretty good vs Charizard Y in an 1vs1 situation.
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mimikyu: 186-222 (141.9 - 169.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 218-260 (149.3 - 178%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 133-157 (90.4 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 236-280 (154.2 - 183%) -- guaranteed OHKO

@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Horn Drill

I'm not really sure on who to remove for these two. I'd probably remove Aegislash for Heatran, that would definitely help even vs Mimikyu (outside of giving you a pretty decent check to Celesteela) and with Leftovers and Protect it won't be 2HKOed by Koko, OHKOing back with Overheat or 2HKOing with Lava Plume if you are not switching into a Thunderbolt.
I think that with Taunt on Fini and bulky Heatran you'd be good. If you are still having Mimikyu problems to try add Excadrill somewhere.
Really appreciate the reply and suggestions! I don't know how I passed by ZardY, guess I thought Nite countered it since I never saw one use HP Ice, at least on the console. As for Heatran, I will probably remove Aegislash for it since they share weaknesses and Bulu is already handled effectively without him. I don't think I'll add Excadrill yet since Heatran seems to be a fine check, especially with WoW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)