SM OU Faux-Sandstorm Team

Okay, so I've been playing around with this as an OU team, but I'm uncertain if it's a mess or a well-rounded team. I call it faux-sandstorm because, well, only one Pokemon really uses it while another sets it up, but 2/3 of the team is immune to the Sandstorm damage so it sorta looks like more of a Sandstorm team than it is and I wanted a team name that sounded cool. Don't judge. Actually, please do. I need my team to be judged, and that is why I'm posting it here.

For a brief team overview, it functions around a Tyranitar to set up Sandstorm, an Excadrill as a late game cleaner, Gyarados to eliminate certain threats, Alakazam as a specially-offensive Pokémon, Landorus as Stealth Rocks, and Magnezone as a revenge killer. I guess I mainly use Excadrill/Tyranitar/Gyarados as a core, and that works pretty well.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Fairly standard Landorus set from what I know, it generally works a lead. It's pretty good at doing what it does in terms of getting my Rocks up, but late game that Rocky Helmet works as a way to counter physical sweepers, especially things that have an awkward time hitting Landorus. Pinsir and Charizard both tremble in the face of Stone Edge, which I opted for over HP Ice as the rest of my team can deal with the things that that is meant to be used on. A slow U-Turn also gives my team a lot of momentum, especially in the early game where I can use that to get an early advantage.

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

This thing hits like a truck! Being super fast and functioning very well once its counters are removed, it definitely delivers well. While my team isn't terribly susceptible to Entry Hazards, Trace works very well. Also, having it in conjunction with the Gyarados keeps people guessing about what the Mega is, which is always nice. The only problem is that my team doesn't always do well against some Ghost types like Mimikyu, and it runs right through Alakazam with Shadow Sneak, especially because even if the Substitute is up I have to break through the Disguise.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Definitely a key Pokemon, Choice Specs turns this thing into a monster. 128 Speed isn't max Speed which I almost went with, but nothing that Magnezone really counters is all that worrisome about being faster. Things like Celesteela and Magearna never like facing this thing, so its very useful to bait them into summoning this monster. HP Fire is pretty self explanatory, as are the STAB options. Volt Switch is a weird move, and I don't often use Magnezone for momentum, but I still sorta liked the idea of slow switching.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Earthquake

A very key Pokemon, Tyranitar is an amazing late game Pokemon as it lets me set up for Excadrill, while also softening up what would be 2HKOs for it. Most of the set is pretty vanilla, but I love the ability to kinda switch between what I like in the set. They each have some key resistances to the other's weaknesses, so once Magnezone can remove the problematic Water types, its great to have this guy synergize very well with my Excadrill.

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 24 Def / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Again, very vanilla set. Functions very well as something that removes key threats, and if you don't see the Z-Move coming it can be disastrous. Plenty of strong Pokemon that don't seem too scared of Gyarados can end up taking tons of damage from the Supersonic Skystrike. Dragon Dance is also really good for wallbreaking, and it in combination with the Jolly nature puts it well over the edge of some of the fastest OU Pokemon once I boost up. Intimidate also softens up opposing physical attackers so they either have to switch out killing momentum, or stay in and not do much.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

The late game sweeping MVP, Excadrill is a great final Pokemon. Once the late game is set up, it's only a matter of switching in Tyranitar to a KOing move to get my Excadrill out. It runs through teams that aren't prepared, and seeing as a lot of Pokemon earlier in the team are focused on removing key threats to Excadrill, this means that this mean mole shines when the game is in the final, decisive stages. Nothing outspeeds once my Sand Rush is going, and priority is generally taken care of by most of my Pokemon. Earthquake does threaten the Tyranitar/Excadrill synergy, but generally if my Gyarados is still kicking, people think twice about using it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)